How do you watch your movies and view your collection? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What software do you guys use to watch your movies and catalogue your collection when playing through your HTPC?

I use XBMC so therefore its in-built player and i like using XBMC as a media organiser and viewer because of the iOS remote app but I see better video results with Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Id like to watch through MPCHC but dont want to be restricted to using a mouse and windows explorer for cataloguing.

Are there any other methods to viewing and watching?

Im sure there are other options but im new to HTPC with this being my first build so please be gentle.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Media browser classic, its setup to use mpchc. I thought you can set an external media player for xbmc?

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #3 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 79
WMC with YAMMM to populate. All controlled with a remote. Same content is available on all 6 TV's in the house, all controlled with remotes.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
XBMC for cataloging/browsing and playing movies by default. I have an external player script to automatically launch mpc-hc with svp for animation and documentaries only.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I use XBMC with MPC-HC set up as the external player. Use Yatse on my phone as a remote control along with Event Ghost for the things Yatse can't do (i.e. turning on/off AVR, projector, etc).
post #6 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Liked: 13
is there a how to for xbmc on how to assign a player and cover art for the media?
post #7 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Pretty much everything is here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Main_Page, or has been discussed in the forums.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Roku sometimes.
Ipad 3 sometimes. (often) [with headphones]
HTPC often. MB3 theater usually,

But I use MB classic and PLEX often enough too.

iphone occasionally (screen is small)

My content I make available to my brother/sister in law and my parents via MB3 or PLEX on their ROKU or ipads or HTPC's too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 235
HTPC exclusively with XBMC for streaming Blu-Rays in mkv format with HD audio from my server. I don't use no stinkin' iPad or dinky little screen for movie watching. They were meant to be seen on a big screen with full surround and not squinted at and listened to with ear buds. I never watch in-flight movies when I fly for this very reason.

No offense, but Mfusick never ceases to amaze me. On one hand he demands the best performance possible and then watches movies on an iPad or an iPhone. What's the point of having a Home Theater if you're not going to use it to the fullest extent?
post #10 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

HTPC exclusively with XBMC for streaming Blu-Rays in mkv format with HD audio from my server. I don't use no stinkin' iPad or dinky little screen for movie watching. They were meant to be seen on a big screen with full surround and not squinted at and listened to with ear buds. I never watch in-flight movies when I fly for this very reason.

No offense, but Mfusick never ceases to amaze me. On one hand he demands the best performance possible and then watches movies on an iPad or an iPhone. What's the point of having a Home Theater if you're not going to use it to the fullest extent?

Well, Mfusick can speak for himself of course but I'm guessing he might be watching on his phone or tablet when the TV's not available? Don't know about him but I've only got the 1 TV/HT setup in my house and my wife hasn't gotten the memo yet that I should be able to watch whatever I want whenever I want to see it. biggrin.gif Which does leave one looking for alternatives. That said, I tend to agree with you. I'll watch a movie on my laptop from time to time when I'm traveling for work but that's it. I would never, ever think of watching a movie on my phone and don't even own a tablet. And my compromise with the wife as far as the TV is concerned was to get some wireless headphones so I can watch early on the weekend when she's still reading the paper, or if I'm up in the middle of the night (I'm an insomniac and our house is a little one bedroom so I'd wake her up otherwise).

As to the thread question, I'm with you on watching all my movies through XBMC (like you, all MKVs off my server w/HD audio). I might be curious about trying an external player just for comparison sake but my HTPC is a NUC running openelec off a thumb drive so that's not an option anyway.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup. If wifey is watching something on main system I'll often watch in another room. Or on the ipad.

I use the iPad in bed with headphones so I don't wake her up. I like to just turn it off and go to sleep, and she prefers this to my using the tv with sound.

All of my iPad or my secondary watching like Roku in the second room is non critical viewing. Typically TV shows or dumb stuff I like but wife does not like.

For a movie I use the HTPC and 7.1 surround sound. I care what it sounds and looks like. I watch it on the main system.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 21 Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So many acronyms has got me all confused....

lets start with

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

I use XBMC with MPC-HC set up as the external player. Use Yatse on my phone as a remote control along with Event Ghost for the things Yatse can't do (i.e. turning on/off AVR, projector, etc).

Yatse? Event Ghost?

Ive read the wiki for using MPC-HC but couldnt get it to work, the screen would flash quickly when i play and them nothing.

Can you post your script so i can copy and paste it please?

and next....
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

WMC with YAMMM to populate. All controlled with a remote. Same content is available on all 6 TV's in the house, all controlled with remotes.

i like the content sharing aspect.
Is the remote an infra red remote or like an iPhone app or something entirely different? Can you post a link or brand and spec of what you use please?
what is WMC and YAMMM?

Thank guys.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yup. If wifey is watching something on main system I'll often watch in another room. Or on the ipad.

I use the iPad in bed with headphones so I don't wake her up. I like to just turn it off and go to sleep, and she prefers this to my using the tv with sound.

All of my iPad or my secondary watching like Roku in the second room is non critical viewing. Typically TV shows or dumb stuff I like but wife does not like.

For a movie I use the HTPC and 7.1 surround sound. I care what it sounds and looks like. I watch it on the main system.
Phew. You had me worried there for a minute. I take it all back. biggrin.gif
post #14 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassysimon View Post

i like the content sharing aspect.
Is the remote an infra red remote or like an iPhone app or something entirely different? Can you post a link or brand and spec of what you use please?
what is WMC and YAMMM?

Thank guys.

WMC = Windows Media Center

YAMMM = Yet Another Metadata Media Manager

The remotes are Universal Remote that control Windows Media Center Extenders (and TV's power and volume/mute functions) that are connected to main HTPC via wired Ethernet (sharing part).

Each TV is like its own DVR, gets access to all the cable channels, AND all of the media (music, videos, movies, pictures).

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #15 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Phew. You had me worried there for a minute. I take it all back. biggrin.gif

95% of my watching is from the server and not live tv. I like to wait a couple weeks then watch a few episodes back to back. If I get a new release movie I tend to rip it immediately bit in some cases I never get around to watching it for a few weeks. That's one of the nice things about having a media server is that you can watch on your own time table.

-

post #16 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I rarely watch anything live unless it's in the family room and we have on Sprout or some other kids channel for the grandkids. I'll put on a Pixar movie or something similar to keep them entertained, but you can only watch Cars so many times. I couldn't wait more than a few days to watch what I record or else I'd never get caught up.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Windows Media Center for live TV and recorded TV

Media Browser Classic for family videos, downloaded TV shows and movies
MPC-BE is the video player.

Foobar2000 for music

It's taken months for me to settle on everything! :-)
Mfusick likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassysimon View Post

So many acronyms has got me all confused....

lets start with
Yatse? Event Ghost?

Google is your friend

Yatse

EventGhost
Quote:
Ive read the wiki for using MPC-HC but couldnt get it to work, the screen would flash quickly when i play and them nothing.

Can you post your script so i can copy and paste it please?

I don't use a script, just set up the external player using playercorefactory.xml as discussed here

A few things to check:

1. Make sure you've got the playercorefactory.xml file in the correct location
  2. Make sure the path to the MPC-HC executable is correct
  3. Make sure the filetypes are set up for the right file extensions (i.e. mkv, ts, avi, etc)
post #19 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I use media browser 3 server to organize my media and watch on media browser classic on my htpc. I also connect to media browser server from my roku and android tablet. Sometimes on my iphone too.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Kaleidescape for physical media.
Openelec xbmc running on a zotac box, appletv and a Pi.
And Plex on a Roku when it works.
post #21 of 21 Old Today, 06:01 PM

Liked: 13
Gonna bump this. It's been a year. Anything new or cool out there?

I am using plain old xbmc. Gotta be something better out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page