4k/2160p @ 60Hz (4:2:0 8-bit color) - has anyone managed to get this working? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I checked the EDID thread, searched for 4k 60Hz, etc. I have an HDMI 2.0 display (sony 600ES) and it seems that since it accepts 4k @ 60Hz at the 8-bit 4:2:0 color sampling (which is within the bandwidth constraints of HDMI 1.4 supported by most video cards), that there should be a way to get an HTPC to generate the appropriate signal. Am I just missing the right search terms, or is it truly that nobody has managed to get this working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 120
You need a graphics card which is also HDMI 2.0 - and such a thing simply does not exist yet.
Mfusick likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

You need a graphics card which is also HDMI 2.0 - and such a thing simply does not exist yet.

I'm aware that that's "officially" the case according to the HDMI spec, but people have been doing 1440p@120Hz with existing video cards over HDMI, and that is well out of HDMI 1.4 spec. (example guide here: http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/). Given that 4096/60p 4:2:0 is within the 10.2 Gb/s bandwidth constraints of HDMI 1.4, it seems that with a PC video card and low-level control, it should be entirely possible to get this output resolution, just as people have attained 1440/120p over HDMI.

Note the BW vs res/bit-depth chart here:
http://www.hdfever.fr/2013/11/14/tableau-comparatif-hdmi-1-4-vs-hdmi-2-0a-vs-hdmi-2-0b/ (sorry it's not in english, but the chart is very straight-forward)

Oh well! I guess I can do a bit more direct research and report back smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 120
You will not succeed.
Boosting an existing mode by just trying to overdrive the existing specs is one thing - trying to run another mode which was unheard of before (4:2:0 output) is a completely different thing.

It doesn't help that PCs usually always operate in RGB, and the GPU drivers have to apply ugly conversions to even support 4:2:2.
4:2:0 output was never supported by a GPU before, and as such you can be sure its just not implemented in the GPU and you won't be able to cheat it into doing it.

Of course, feel free to prove me wrong! smile.gif
M_Coupe likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

You will not succeed.
Boosting an existing mode by just trying to overdrive the existing specs is one thing - trying to run another mode which was unheard of before (4:2:0 output) is a completely different thing.

It doesn't help that PCs usually always operate in RGB, and the GPU drivers have to apply ugly conversions to even support 4:2:2.
4:2:0 output was never supported by a GPU before, and as such you can be sure its just not implemented in the GPU and you won't be able to cheat it into doing it.

Of course, feel free to prove me wrong! smile.gif

Ahh - I wasn't aware that GPUs weren't set up for 4:2:0 natively. That's precisely the sort of specific feedback I was seeking (to save me from a fruitless investigation). I'd been searching for some time, and the only answer I ever found was "no, you need HDMI 2.0". Given that HDMI 2.0 encompasses both new modes within existing HDMI 1.4 bandwidth as well as new 18G modes, and that some manufacturers (e.g Oppo) are claming to be working on supporting 2160p60 with existing [HDMI 1.4] hardware, you can see why I was looking for more detail! biggrin.gif

Thanks again.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page