Has anyone ripped Catching Fire from bluray? Weirdness - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pheare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Has anyone ripped Catching Fire? The bluray must have almost 145 main movie 'tracks' The one I ripped plays fine but the content is weird when compared to playing the actual bluray on the ps4.

For example, the overall movie length is the same between the rip and the ps4, but at 5:56 in the ripped copy catniss finishes talking with haymitch and then is immediately in a room with president snow. on the ps4 at 5:56 she leave haymitch and enters her house and then a couple of guards escort her to see president snow. Further on the ripped copy after catniss leave snow, she eventually enters her house and the guard scene plays over again and she is again talking with snow, albeit it is a different conversation.

No idea what is going on.

Can anyone tell me what the proper track is?
pheare is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 04:15 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 346
It's being discussed in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1336046/ripping-blu-rays-ii

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is offline  
post #3 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ou8thisSN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i ripped it using makemkv myself. I found the track that had 17 chapters and the longest overall length and ripped that one, not the first one. I played through the first 6 minutes and didnt see any issues during playback on my computer. But Lionsgate is notorious for its contempt of rental disc users (which is why they always strip out HD audio tracks and replace it with DD5.1) so I wouldnt put it past them to have done something to purposefully try and circumvent ripping.
ohioratrodder likes this.
Ou8thisSN is offline  
post #4 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pheare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks wmcclain. Ou8thisSN, I suspect you ripped the wrong one. Should be 16 chapters to total length of 2:26:15. It plays back fine, but in my case I saw the behavior exhibited above. Not sure if all bogus tracks will exhibit the exact same weirdness.

Consensus seems to be that track 904 and 778 are the good ones. I am ripping 904 right now. So we will see.
pheare is offline  
post #5 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,835
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Playlist obfuscation is getting somewhat popular niw. I sudpect Frozen (2013) uses it too but not as bad as has neen seen on the Hunger Games discs
Pretty stupid if you ask me because it is posted almost immediately on the forums anyhow.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #6 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Member
 
abcdefghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was about to post a similar thread, trying to rip Catching Fire now. I am hoping that I picked the correct one, per MakeMKV it had something saying "Main Presentation" or something to that effect besides one of the titles. It says it is 16 chapters, so I am hoping it is the correct one.

Edit: Read the thread linked above, cancelled the rip and instead am pulling the 778.mlps file which appears to be the correct one.
abcdefghi is offline  
post #7 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Member
 
habe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Play the movie in a bluray player and note the movies run time.

I ripped a movie the other day with MakeMKV that had over a hundred titles listed. Each one had a different run time. Only one of the titles time matched the run time exactly as shown when played in the bluray player.

Thats the correct title to rip.

habe
habe is offline  
post #8 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pheare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post

Play the movie in a bluray player and note the movies run time.

I ripped a movie the other day with MakeMKV that had over a hundred titles listed. Each one had a different run time. Only one of the titles time matched the run time exactly as shown when played in the bluray player.

Thats the correct title to rip.

habe

Hmmm. For catching fire, Makemkv is showing about 150 tracks with identical runtimes (which match what the bluray says in the player) for me. At any rate, track 904 is a good one. Anydvd actually shows you the correct track to pick when you at the status.
pheare is offline  
post #9 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member
 
GCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 1,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The original Hunger Games did this same BS. So did Now You See Me. Its sucks a$$ when they do this.

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

 

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

GCS is offline  
post #10 of 59 Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Member
 
habe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare View Post

Hmmm. For catching fire, Makemkv is showing about 150 tracks with identical runtimes (which match what the bluray says in the player) for me. At any rate, track 904 is a good one. Anydvd actually shows you the correct track to pick when you at the status.

Not making it easy then.... I don't have that disc but that would be there first time I've seen a Bluray with all titles having equal times (other than Disney DVD's which have been doing that for a while; equal times, different angles listed).

Thanks,

habe
habe is offline  
post #11 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 01:38 AM
Senior Member
 
curtisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

i ripped it using makemkv myself. I found the track that had 17 chapters and the longest overall length and ripped that one, not the first one. I played through the first 6 minutes and didnt see any issues during playback on my computer. But Lionsgate is notorious for its contempt of rental disc users (which is why they always strip out HD audio tracks and replace it with DD5.1) so I wouldnt put it past them to have done something to purposefully try and circumvent ripping.
Gee, I wonder why they would want to do this given someone is talking about backing up their movie and you immediately go to complaining about the rentals. Maybe they wouldn't be doing this if folks were only making the main-movie backup of movies they own. Ok they still would but perhaps less so..
curtisb is offline  
post #12 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
curtisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post

Not making it easy then.... I don't have that disc but that would be there first time I've seen a Bluray with all titles having equal times (other than Disney DVD's which have been doing that for a while; equal times, different angles listed).

Thanks,

habe

On the Disney titles I've noticed a few, not tons, and of those few they are often slightly different lengths, which if you rip them to see, you'll find that most if not all do something like have things like a different language in the intro or credits screens. So (again from the few I can recall) they don't seem to be doing it explicitly to slow down the amount of time it takes for folks to rip it off and put a good copy on the net as we I assume the case is for titles like this.
curtisb is offline  
post #13 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,752
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I always update my makemkv to the newest build when these issues pop up and like magic the new build identifies the actual video track with a notation "main video title"

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #14 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Member
 
abcdefghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I always update my makemkv to the newest build when these issues pop up and like magic the new build identifies the actual video track with a notation "main video title"

I should have done that and not cancelled the rip I was working on. I ripped the 778 copy, just started watching it this morning and get the same problem as the OP.
abcdefghi is offline  
post #15 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pheare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I always update my makemkv to the newest build when these issues pop up and like magic the new build identifies the actual video track with a notation "main video title"

Hmmm, I am using the latest build (1.8.9) and it displays no such notation for me.
pheare is offline  
post #16 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pheare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post

I should have done that and not cancelled the rip I was working on. I ripped the 778 copy, just started watching it this morning and get the same problem as the OP.

Try 904 or if you are using anydvd double click the icon in the task tray and check out the Status and look for this line:

Java BD protection good playlists: 904
pheare is offline  
post #17 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

The original Hunger Games did this same BS. So did Now You See Me. Its sucks a$$ when they do this.

Yep. RED 2 was another one if I remember right. Totally pointless since it only takes a few minutes of searching online to find a forum like this one and the right track to rip. Somehow the geniuses responsible must believe that people who are ripping are motivated enough to have figured out the software to do that yet clueless enough to not know how to google and so impatient they will give up immediately once they encounter this confounded scheme . LOL. Brilliant work, fellas.
ElJimador is offline  
post #18 of 59 Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,752
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare View Post

Hmmm, I am using the latest build (1.8.9) and it displays no such notation for me.

Perhaps not on the newest movies but on anything a tad older it will. I would think the next release would have the catch fire fix to it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #19 of 59 Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Newbie
 
Andrew Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Ok I am still confused which is the correct file? Is it 778, 904 or another file?

Andrew Burns is offline  
post #20 of 59 Old 03-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
dae3dae3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burns View Post

Ok I am still confused which is the correct file? Is it 778, 904 or another file?

Yes, that's right.

eek.gif

It can be different depending on your disk from what I have read at the Slysoft forum.


My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.

dae3dae3 is offline  
post #21 of 59 Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
dae3dae3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post

Gee, I wonder why they would want to do this given someone is talking about backing up their movie and you immediately go to complaining about the rentals. Maybe they wouldn't be doing this if folks were only making the main-movie backup of movies they own. Ok they still would but perhaps less so..

Yes, too much talk of that on here and there will be shutdown orders. The Slysoft forum cracks down hard on any talk of ripping rentals. That is straight up pirating as far as any law enforcement group would be concerned. Making a copy of your personal copy should at least be covered under fair use if cracking the encryption to do so is not.

But that is off-topic and will only lead to a flame war so I'm done and won't be replying on this topic any more. tongue.gif


My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.

dae3dae3 is offline  
post #22 of 59 Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by dae3dae3 View Post

Yes, too much talk of that on here and there will be shutdown orders.
Seems like you've been on here for a while

Has that ever actually happened here?
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #23 of 59 Old 03-11-2014, 05:23 AM
Member
 
abcdefghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Perhaps not on the newest movies but on anything a tad older it will. I would think the next release would have the catch fire fix to it.

I have version 1.8.8 of MakeMKV and it showed this for Catching Fire, but.... it was the wrong one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burns View Post

Ok I am still confused which is the correct file? Is it 778, 904 or another file?

It depends where you bought the disc from, for me after trying both 778 and 904, I found a post in the thread linked above where someone said they used 795 on a disc purchased from Wal-Mart and that one had no issues. I also bought mine at Wal-Mart, so tried the same file and it worked.
abcdefghi is offline  
post #24 of 59 Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
dae3dae3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Seems like you've been on here for a while

Has that ever actually happened here?

It has happened to other websites.


My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.

dae3dae3 is offline  
post #25 of 59 Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Newbie
 
psylentkillr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
461 is also a valid playlist. Though, I don't know which US version I have, since I bought it used with no case.
I painfully mapped the sequence, just to conquer this ridiculous workaround.
[505, 514, 517, 507, 506, 511, 516, 509, 510, 503, 508, 515, 512, 513, 502]
DMark1 likes this.
psylentkillr is offline  
post #26 of 59 Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
dae3dae3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylentkillr View Post

461 is also a valid playlist. Though, I don't know which US version I have, since I bought it used with no case.
I painfully mapped the sequence, just to conquer this ridiculous workaround.
[505, 514, 517, 507, 506, 511, 516, 509, 510, 503, 508, 515, 512, 513, 502]

Just to show that the discs are different. Mine doesn't even have a track 461. biggrin.gif I got mine from Amazon. I even went down the list slowly one at a time to make sure I wasn't just not seeing it.


My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.

dae3dae3 is offline  
post #27 of 59 Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Newbie
 
Andrew Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So really the only positive way to confirm it to watch both side by side or is there an easier way?

 

Andrew

Andrew Burns is offline  
post #28 of 59 Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I used DVDFab's HD Decrypter (free) and it picked it right out. Don't remember the title # though. Sorry. Like someone else said though, just make sure the runtime and # of chapters match exactly the info you see when you play it from your player and you'll know you're all set.
ElJimador is offline  
post #29 of 59 Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
jim2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Like someone else said though, just make sure the runtime and # of chapters match exactly the info you see when you play it from your player and you'll know you're all set.

False. There are multiple playlists with the same runtime and number of chapters, and most of them will not play the movie correctly.
jim2100 is offline  
post #30 of 59 Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

False. There are multiple playlists with the same runtime and number of chapters, and most of them will not play the movie correctly.

Nice selective quoting of my post. What I said was, if you use DVDFab and the main movies title it picks for you matches the runtime and chapters you see when playing the disk on your player then you will know it has grabbed the right title. If you don't believe me that's your choice but it does work.
ElJimador is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off