Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Everyone,

I just started to play with VMware Player on my WHS2011 server. It's actually pretty awesome and a lot simpler to install and get going than I thought.

I installed a Windows 8.1 VM and everything is working pretty well. The ultimate goal is to install the Windows Media Center add on to the VM and use a network tuner (been waiting on a HDHR4-CC to be released but I don't know if that will ever happen, mad.gif may have to settle for the HDHR3-CC frown.gif ).

I use Lights Out on my WHS2011 because the reality is that the server doesn't need to be on 24/7 for my use case. I can wake the server on demand using WOL and I do have calender events set to wake the server up starting early afternoon until about 11:30 for regular use and instant availability, so this would cover me 98% of the time I suspect. However, I am wondering about the host needing to wake up because of a scheduled recording on the guest machine that's outside of my calender events.

Can anyone tell me if the host will wake up if the VM needs to come on for a scheduled recording? I tried to google this scenario and couldn't find exactly what I was looking, so I was hoping you guys may have an answer for me. Thanks.

oman321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I really doubt that will work. You were probably fine up until the sleep part.

If you like messing with VMs then you should try ESXi and not have your VM rely on WHS2011. It is a bare metal VM host and you could put your WHS2011 and Win8 WMC as VM guests where they aren't tied together. I was running a VM inside my media server's OS, but it got annoying to have to bring everything down to reboot after installing updates or for whatever other reason.
oman321 likes this.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Type 2 hypervisors suck for actual production use. Like Bryan said, ditch VMware Player and set up ESXi if you want to do anything beyond experimenting. You can use vCenter Converter to virtualize your existing WHS setup.
oman321 likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

Type 2 hypervisors suck for actual production use. Like Bryan said, ditch VMware Player and set up ESXi if you want to do anything beyond experimenting. You can use vCenter Converter to virtualize your existing WHS setup.

I just created a VM and used my WHS server backup media to restore into it. It worked fine.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I had extremely weird issues trying to run pfSense in Workstation rolleyes.gif. I have heard of people using Player/Workstation for WMC and it seems to work. Whatever the case, the VM will not wake the host if the VM is going to record and the host is sleeping.
oman321 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, that certainly clarifies things for me. I may try ESXi when the time comes and see how that may work out, honestly though most of the content we would record is prime time so the server would normally be up. I will have to remember to disable lights out otherwise which is simple enough .

Even with ESXi I would still need to have it on 24/7 I suppose, so not the ideal situation for me.

Still impressed with how this works, pretty awesome.

Thanks again,
oman321
post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just install a couple LED lights if you are wanting to save power.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Without going so far as to say that VMWare Player sucks (I use it pretty frequently, and I agree that it's nice/fun/nifty/etc)

In regards to your W8.1 VM, I don't think WMC is going to work at all with live tv unless you can pass through a pcie gpu to work with intel's vt-d or equivalent

I'm actually not sure if Type 2 hypervisors can pass through entire devices? I have a k-series intel processor, so even if it could I wouldn't be able to try it

Also, along that line, if you bought a k series processor you are screwed as far as ESXi goes. You won't be able to pass-through any of your devices (NIC, HBA, GPU) to the VMs. This doesn't keep you from being able to create VMs, but it's very undesirable for someone looking to have a WHS/W8.1/etc all-in-one ESXi solution.

Further, I don't believe WMC will work for copy-protected TV without a passed-through GPU. However, it may work just fine if you are looking to add OTA tv?

Someone else could hopefully clarify the WMC issues with or without a passed-through GPU, because AFAIK this is usually the make or break point
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If you're using Workstation, it should be able to just use the host GPU to accelerate graphics. I've seen copy-free TV work in a Workstation VM. You're right you can't "pass through" devices to Workstation in the sense of ESXi. And yes, copy-protected TV is a no-go without a real GPU.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page