Who else has built a ridiculously overpowered HTPC? What's your story? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Right on!

So right it hurts eek.gif Oh.. Ouch... ! It hurts all over!

The #1 detriment to an all in one machine is the ability to make it cool, and quiet and easily control the form factor and the WAF factor keeping it appliance like. It's increasingly harder to cool as the case shrinks, and it's also increasingly hard to shrink the case with lots of hard drives or whatever inside. You can make a nice media server do the heavy lifting and hide it away and build a very nice SSD only HTPC to playback from- There is without a doubt value in this strategy from a noise perspective, cooling perspective, or form factor perspective.

Additionally, The all important WAF factor of being appliance like. The HTPC needs to be appliance like. A dedicated HTPC that only does one thing can accomplish this easily. I don't even have a keyboard or remote on mine. All in one machines becomes very hard to do and keep it appliance like. Let a server be a server and let an HTPC be an HTPC. If I was to skimp on anything power wise I would be tempted to do it on the HTPC rather than the workstation or the server in my own case.

My i5 runs ultra quiet though because I never overclock it, I set it up in a good case with adequate cooling- and it never struggles. Most of it's life is spent under it's stock clock speed, saving not just energy but heat and noise too. A faster overpowered CPU will run cooler and quieter at 25% load than a under powered dual core will at 90% load doing the same tasks. The more powerful quad core will kick on the turbo boost and make quick work of whatever needs to be done and drop back down in clock speed before it ever gets a chance to heat up in the real world- while an underpowered CPU is going to heat up and stay heated initiating faster fan speeds and higher temps just trying to keep it's little head above water in it's processing duties. Even if a weaker CPU might barely get the job done, do you want it ?

In my application having a huge amount of top end is pointless, and a huge negative if it comes at the cost of noise. If all I do is drive around the city and never hit the race track, having twin turbo's and z rated tires is only worth the bragging rights (and hard on fuel economy).

The htpc is passively cooled and does the job. So - if it does the job, Yes I wants it. It is smooth, and has done so for a while now. I'll prob have to upgrade the graphics when I go to 3d, if they ever make a projector that I feel I would want and is also less then $15k... But thats a whole other topic.

I definitely see your point - if the movie files aren't prepossessed or your using something that needs to be processed on the fly - my setup just simply wouldn't work for your application (slide show time), and your implementation has a ton of merit.

In my environment if it is audible and NOT part of the audio system - it simply isn't allowed -... so no !!!WHIRRRRING!!!. Its totally different if your watching something in the bedroom or whatever... I donno - to each their own!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:

ajhieb you list a $369 disk station with a measily dual Core 1.6 GHz and 1GB memory and it hold only 2 hard drives.

I could write a book about the reasons why that is completely insufficient but I'll spare everyone the trouble and just say it's not (for me at least).

Write your book. Nobody is stopping you. Its a lot better than a lame cop out.

Previously you were complaining about the price of a NAS that can transcode. There were no requirements for disk capacity in that. So I posted a complete solution (minus drives) that can transcode videos cheaper than a license for Server Essentials 2012, which doesn't include drives... or anything else for that matter.... you still need the cheep $200 computer... that, not being purpose built, probably can't do much in the way of transcoding. You want a cheaper NAS to compare to? Hop on newegg, and there are dozens of them that will be every bit as useful as the impotent little celeron box that you've proposed for $200.

You want to compare apples to apples. Fine. But if we're going with current hardware, and current OS I can show you a competitive NAS solution to anything you can build when you look at the final cost. Will the NAS have the same amount of flexibility as the server? No. Nobody is suggesting otherwise. But the NAS can likely fulfill the needs of people that are looking to add storage and serve media.

If you want to talk about people needing more than 30TB of storage, then you'll probably find a Server is a better route, just because of the sheer number of drives necessary for an array that size. (not that it couldn't be done) But then you need to start asking who your audience is. Don't you think the people that are building 30TB arrays probably already have a little experience with things and have a good idea what they are looking for? If getting information out there, and helping people is your goal in starting these threads, who is your audience? Who are you trying to help? To what end?

You want to compare apples to apples... that's fine. Tell me what your end goal is, and we can compare apples to apples.

What are the storage requirements?
What are the transcoding requirements?
What's your price point?
Is redundancy a requirement?

Don't just tell me you can build a "server" for $200 and claim it's better than a $370 NAS box... it's cheaper, I'll grant you that, but what makes it better?

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #213 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioniS View Post

You are DA MAN ;-)

I have AVR, so connecting my 43" LCD to play battlefield 3 is nothing more than pressing PC on my AVR remote control ;-)

Yes, I have the same vision: HTPC needs to be quiet, doesn't have to be powerful, for that I have desktop... and NAS need to have a reasonably safe STORAGE.

My current NAS:

RAM: 5GB NON ECC (£25)
CPU: G1610 2.6GHz @ 1.6GHz (more than I need) (£32)
MB: Asus P8H61-I (£80)
HDD: 4x 500GB Raid10 ZFS (£120 for all of them)
CASE: Cooler Master Elite 120 Mini ITX (£35)

It idle around 60W all in, 30W with HDD sleeping...

So... ~£300, for all. It can do anything I want with it with expandability you will never get from all in one solutions, but I will replace it onto AMD build with ECC memory and 2U case, additional £150 if I keep old CPU+MB, less if I flog it... lessons learned ;-)

Ha! I'd love to be able to hit a button a play a game but the gaming rig is in my home office and the man cave is in the basement. I have thought about trying to run hdmi or an extender down there but the logistics aren't in my favor. I'd have to lug the beast down stairs and it is far from a mobile or luggable desktop. mad.gif Next build will be done different.
post #214 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hehe.. Just get yourself new 50" screen into your cave ;-)

My stuff is in lounge, the only long thing is HDMI from AVR to screen. Got rid of BD player, so there was a space for Media Player... I didn't realise that this case also takes ATX, MATX, ITX and has 6x HDD, 2x5.25", so for NAS would be nearly perfect...

But I like this set up, so for my upgraded NAS i will take 2U case, tacked up somewhere... Something like this:

http://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/server-cases/rackmount/2u-chassis/2u--atx-server-chassis---high-density-storage-sc-25301/
post #215 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Hehe.. Just get yourself new 50" screen into your cave ;-)

My stuff is in lounge, the only long thing is HDMI from AVR to screen. Got rid of BD player, so there was a space for Media Player... I didn't realise that this case also takes ATX, MATX, ITX and has 6x HDD, 2x5.25", so for NAS would be nearly perfect...

Ohh - the man cave is very nicely outfitted with a projector... But the home office could use that screen! uhh... You wouldn't happen to be offering me one, would you? wink.gif

Thats a nice silverstone case! I bought an Antec with a a vfd that was almost like a disco light when its dark. Sucked! That was a learning moment for sure. It is now disconnected... Stupid feature - who the hell would check their email from their HTPC? Ohh well... I chucked the BD player as well, You have a great setup there!
post #216 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinjames View Post

Here is a situation - your watching the movie, the scene is a moment of near silence and your immersed into the movie, the lead actor starts to speak in a low voice !!!!!WHIRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! the GPU goes into supersonic mode to cool the overheating chip. You miss what the guy says and the whole room is swimming in the sound of the tiny fan spinning at mach 10 desperately attempting to cool down the graphics card. This is the moment where it begins to suck. You have some pc crapping all over the moment.

One thing I'm not hearing is the value of silence. I built my HTPC to be as smooth as silk. I dislike the flashing lights... and even more is the WHIRRING of fans while watching a movie... during the quite moments of a movie and you hear the GPU spinning up - its terribly annoying. I will admit - I don't do transcoding or anything to the movie files. Every file I have is ripped to very high quality. But I felt its worth mentioning that all this stuff sounds nice, i5 or i7 chips and dual SLI cards, and there is a place for it. I just don't want any of that in my own home theater. I've spent a lot of money to be immersed in the movie, and I have the mediaserver in another room for a reason.

My own HTPC is lower end - AMD something or another 45watt chip with an air cooler, 2gb of ram and a passively cooled ATI card. I watch bluray movies off it, and bluray ISOs or music from the mediaserver. It's very nice and smooth. The most expensive thing in it is prob the case, or the SSD... It is NOT powerful by today's standards by any stretch, but it does do what I need, and it is as silent as my receiver... I should also add that I haven't tinkered with it (other then updates) for 5 years.

You can build your HTPC as a gaming rig, but it comes at the cost of noise, and if it sits in the theater to me it is an unwelcome guest. But there have been times when I wanted to play Crysis 3 on my 150" screen!! But that isn't possible with the HTPC, unless I want to watch a crysis slide show.
Dude that's so far from the truth. No offense but you must not be very mechanically inclined if you can't make a rediculously overpowered HTPC quiet. My HTPC is likely more quiet that my kids breathing and I can play BF4 just fine. It's all about the parts!
StinDaWg likes this.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #217 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59

That's actually Atom, not ARM. From one of the reviews:
Quote:
1080p transcoding functionality is not supported. Plex media server can be installed with tweaks but buffering is horrible. Do not buy this for its transcoding capability. Otherwise a solid NAS.
post #218 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Write your book. Nobody is stopping you. Its a lot better than a lame cop out.

It's not a cop out, it's just saving me time from typing something who's truth should be self evident.

I hear everything you are saying and you are not wrong- I just question even considering a $369 NAS that only has two hard drive bays on the merits it's not enough bays. For that price, even if that seemed like enough storage would you want to invest the amount into something with a hard limit of 2 hard drives? Seems really a bad idea to me, even if it was enough storage at first.

I'm guessing the majority of people on this forum would simply dismiss that product as soon as they saw it only holds 2 hard drives.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #219 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Ohh - the man cave is very nicely outfitted with a projector... But the home office could use that screen! uhh... You wouldn't happen to be offering me one, would you? wink.gif

Thats a nice silverstone case! I bought an Antec with a a vfd that was almost like a disco light when its dark. Sucked! That was a learning moment for sure. It is now disconnected... Stupid feature - who the hell would check their email from their HTPC? Ohh well... I chucked the BD player as well, You have a great setup there!

Thanks, I know what you mean ;-)))) Some Silverstone cases have variable windows to change led brightness if necessary. I actually got it off EB, by accident but it turned out massively good. Even my wife is getting used to ;-)
post #220 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:

It's not a cop out, it's just saving me time from typing something who's truth should be self evident.

I hear everything you are saying and you are not wrong- I just question even considering a $369 NAS that only has two hard drive bays on the merits it's not enough bays. For that price, even if that seemed like enough storage would you want to invest the amount into something with a hard limit of 2 hard drives? Seems really a bad idea to me, even if it was enough storage at first.

I'm guessing the majority of people on this forum would simply dismiss that product as soon as they saw it only holds 2 hard drives.

Exactly... When I was looking for one of alll in ones, I got impression that you need to spend massive amount of money to get decent stuff... That's why I build mine. for 1/4 of the price...
post #221 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In my application having a huge amount of top end is pointless, and a huge negative if it comes at the cost of noise. If all I do is drive around the city and never hit the race track, having twin turbo's and z rated tires is only worth the bragging rights (and hard on fuel economy).

The htpc is passively cooled and does the job. So - if it does the job, Yes I wants it. It is smooth, and has done so for a while now. I'll prob have to upgrade the graphics when I go to 3d, if they ever make a projector that I feel I would want and is also less then $15k... But thats a whole other topic.

I definitely see your point - if the movie files aren't prepossessed or your using something that needs to be processed on the fly - my setup just simply wouldn't work for your application (slide show time), and your implementation has a ton of merit.

In my environment if it is audible and NOT part of the audio system - it simply isn't allowed -... so no !!!WHIRRRRING!!!. Its totally different if your watching something in the bedroom or whatever... I donno - to each their own!

I think you missed the part where the more powerful CPU running in cruise mode under 25% usage is running cooler than the dual core running 90% trying to keep up.

Heat and noise are related- but heat is the first step and noise is the result. Heat is a factor of time, and it builds. A two second burst of my i7 4770k @ 4800mhz to crush some menial task and then return back down to 800mhz is going to generate less heat (and thus less noise) than a weaker dual core running for extended period of time trying to accomplish the same task.

The powerful CPU never had enough time to heat up, and it drops down in clock sooner dissipating heat and returning sooner and remaining longer at the cooler temp.

CPU don't run at redline, they idle. They will only increase in clock speed if you actually need it, most of the time my i7 runs under it's stock clock. A powerful CPU does not automatically mean a HOT CPU or a NOISY CPU. Not at all.

BTW: I said earlier my i5 CPU HTPC was in my bedroom smile.gif In an audio video closet without a door on it. I sleep right next to it, it's only a few feet from my head. No issues.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #222 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I know what you mean ;-)))) Some Silverstone cases have variable windows to change led brightness if necessary. I actually got it off EB, by accident but it turned out massively good. Even my wife is getting used to ;-)

You have achieved HTPC nirvarna if the wife likes it. The GF isn't too sure about the setup downstairs... But she does like the experience once it all starts up!! There were some initial issues with Mediaportal starting up a bluray disk that she hated... But I think thats mostly worked out.
post #223 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's all good guys, lets just talk about media servers and HTPC's smile.gif

-

post #224 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I think you missed the part where the more powerful CPU running in cruise mode under 25% usage is running cooler than the dual core running 90% trying to keep up.

Heat and noise are related- but heat is the first step and noise is the result. Heat is a factor of time, and it builds. A two second burst of my i7 4770k @ 4800mhz to crush some menial task and then return back down to 800mhz is going to generate less heat (and thus less noise) than a weaker dual core running for extended period of time trying to accomplish the same task.

The powerful CPU never had enough time to heat up, and it drops down in clock sooner dissipating heat and returning sooner and remaining longer at the cooler temp.

CPU don't run at redline, they idle. They will only increase in clock speed if you actually need it, most of the time my i7 runs under it's stock clock. A powerful CPU does not automatically mean a HOT CPU or a NOISY CPU. Not at all.

BTW: I said earlier my i5 CPU HTPC was in my bedroom smile.gif In an audio video closet without a door on it. I sleep right next to it, it's only a few feet from my head. No issues.

LOL Wouldn't be the first time. The cpu I use was something like $30 single core 45 watt amd chip. It does all that I have asked - sometimes slowly for sure. It doesn't unrar stuff quick for instance. But its core task and really -its only task- is to run Mediaportal and stream content to the AVR. I didn't select this chip for its cost - it was simply the coolest running production chip at the time. I think I will disagree that your ballsy chip runs cooler then my ****** amd chip - after all the amd the chip was designed from the get go to run cool. But I have no facts or figures to support that comparison and so whatever.... I simply hate fans in there.
post #225 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:

You have achieved HTPC nirvarna if the wife likes it. The GF isn't too sure about the setup downstairs... But she does like the experience once it all starts up!! There were some initial issues with Mediaportal starting up a bluray disk that she hated... But I think thats mostly worked out.

Stop using BD disks, MKV them into file and use that way... I got pissed off using BD player as to actually watch movie I need 5-10 minutes of adverts, fbi crap, etc.. Now is just clik clik and go... ;-)
ilovejedd likes this.
post #226 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

It's all good guys, lets just talk about media servers and HTPC's smile.gif
That's what I intend to do. Building my rig I had three requirements. Had to be quiet, pretty and powerful enough to game. Who wouldn't want to play their favorite PC games on a huge screen with great audio. The Antec case, Noctua cooler and fans, Asus heat sink and fan for gpu are all the most quiet components out there. The WD reds are silent. After my build was complete I turned it on and stuck my head in it, trust me it's quiet.

Yes I do have hearing problems. My career choices have left me little choice in that regard. But others have commented how quiet the computer was too.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #227 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Stop using BD disks, MKV them into file and use that way... I got pissed off using BD player as to actually watch movie I need 5-10 minutes of adverts, fbi crap, etc.. Now is just clik clik and go... ;-)

I'm trying man... I am... This image was posted by someone else... but explains the situation fully (between MKV and the BD). Not that I condone movie piracy... But... Uh... yea I hate the hoops.
post #228 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

No, I'll pass on the hug. There's more child like behavior and name calling here than there is in my son's elementary school. Simply put, people hide behind their screen name here, whereas in the real world where communication happens is fave to face you're not gonna tell someone there a troll and to go hide under a bridge.

Nope, I'm not gonna beat you up. But I promise you this, we'd be putting the 12oz gloves on an be going toe to toe for 12 rounds. smile.gif

Anytime, I'm always up for a good time. You don't know me, and I'm direct. When someone is trolling - I call them out on it, just like in the real world. Some can't handle it and they leave. Those with thin skin leave faster.
post #229 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:43 PM

if you have bd disk it's not a piracy to use copy of it for you own use...
post #230 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm trying man... I am... This image was posted by someone else... but explains the situation fully (between MKV and the BD). Not that I condone movie piracy... But... Uh... yea I hate the hoops.

Interesting picture.

AVS does frown on talk of piracy (or specifically supporting it) but there is some merit in what you post.

The "user experience" of HTPC is superior to the offerings of the cable company or what you get from a disk in a stand alone player - this is the main attraction. I don't want to watch live TV and suffer commercials when I can DVR and fast forward them and skip, or even better record with HTPC and remove the commecials. I'd rather rip the BR disk I just bought with MakeMKV and remove all that crap so when I hit "play" it actually does that and plays. No fuss. no waiting. I have low patience so the extra effort to rip it is clearly worth it to me, it's more enjoyable to rip it in makemkv than it is to wait through and navigate all that crap. Piracy aside this is true if you legally purchase your media or pirate it- the result is the same. It's not necessarily only with "piracy" but rather general and true as a whole in HTPC world. If they don't want people to vote with their wallets they'll look to give consumers what they actually want and not force feed what they do not want down their throat.

I find it ironic that the existence of a piracy warning before a movie you need to wait for supports the act of piracy in the first place. That's funny when you think about it.

-

post #231 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes it is. This is not true ^ Does not stop anyone from doing it though.
StinDaWg likes this.

-

post #232 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:

There is a lot of discussion on this. I understand in the USA with the DMCA it actually is against the law to rip it. I believe I have a right to make a backup of the media and so it is legal, but I'm not a lawyer. I donno... but my care-o-meter fast approaches zero since I bought it and I think its unlikely that the FBI will ask.
post #233 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:

It has 2 bays. It isn't limited to 2 hard drives.

Add one (or two) of these or these and you have a great deal of expandability. It's a simple, reasonably inexpensive solution that can grow as your needs grow. Sure its not as OMG ROFLCOPTER AWESOME!!1! as having a 24 bay Norco sitting in your closet, but the end result is much the same.

If you need 50TB right now, I certainly wouldn't take this approach, but if you need a few terabytes, now and think you might need more down the road, I think this is a perfectly viable approach. Especially if you don't want the headache of another windows machine to babysit.

You have an uncanny knack for making things as absurdly complicated as possible. And while that is warranted on occasion, I find it best to take the simplest approach, especially when dealing with people that just care about the end result. And I understand your desire to always make things the super-dee-duper bestest-most amazing ever, but I think you often lose sight of the fact that you are generally playing in "diminishing returns" land and a great deal of people are happy enough to put in 5% of the effort that you do, to get something that is 95% as good as your end results.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #234 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

... but my care-o-meter fast approaches zero since I bought it and I think its unlikely that the FBI will ask.

justinjames likes this.

-

post #235 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Interesting picture.

AVS does frown on talk of piracy (or specifically supporting it) but there is some merit in what you post.

The "user experience" of HTPC is superior to the offerings of the cable company or what you get from a disk in a stand alone player - this is the main attraction. I don't want to watch live TV and suffer commercials when I can DVR and fast forward them and skip, or even better record with HTPC and remove the commecials. I'd rather rip the BR disk I just bought with MakeMKV and remove all that crap so when I hit "play" it actually does that and plays. No fuss. no waiting. I have low patience so the extra effort to rip it is clearly worth it to me, it's more enjoyable to rip it in makemkv than it is to wait through and navigate all that crap. Piracy aside this is true if you legally purchase your media or pirate it- the result is the same. It's not necessarily only with "piracy" but rather general and true as a whole in HTPC world. If they don't want people to vote with their wallets they'll look to give consumers what they actually want and not force feed what they do not want down their throat.

I find it ironic that the existence of a piracy warning before a movie you need to wait for supports the act of piracy in the first place. That's funny when you think about it.

Thanks man - that was what I was trying to show with it... not that you should run out and pirate a bunch of movies to 'stick it to the man'. Its the whole "I want to watch the Matrix" and it takes 10 mins to get to the starting screen....
post #236 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

This is getting sorted in the UK finally, so we'll all "officially" be allowed to copy our DVD's for personal use, phewf! :)

post #237 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:

awesome!!
post #238 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

It has 2 bays. It isn't limited to 2 hard drives.

Add one (or two) of these or these and you have a great deal of expandability. It's a simple, reasonably inexpensive solution that can grow as your needs grow. Sure its not as OMG ROFLCOPTER AWESOME!!1! as having a 24 bay Norco sitting in your closet, but the end result is much the same.

If you need 50TB right now, I certainly wouldn't take this approach, but if you need a few terabytes, now and think you might need more down the road, I think this is a perfectly viable approach. Especially if you don't want the headache of another windows machine to babysit.

You have an uncanny knack for making things as absurdly complicated as possible. And while that is warranted on occasion, I find it best to take the simplest approach, especially when dealing with people that just care about the end result. And I understand your desire to always make things the super-dee-duper bestest-most amazing ever, but I think you often lose sight of the fact that you are generally playing in "diminishing returns" land and a great deal of people are happy enough to put in 5% of the effort that you do, to get something that is 95% as good as your end results.

So you are telling me on top of the $369 I need to spend another $450 to add on or "upgrade" only 8 more bays. eek.gif

Thanks but no thanks.

Each their own I guess but it seems criminal to charge those prices for so little. I guess I am too entrenched in value to ever consider such. I know what you are saying, but for me it's not sinking in to the point you get my buy in. You are technically right, but my heart still says it's wrong.

-

post #239 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Ok, you are right, but I got my Battleship (yeah, I know.. crap ;-) I also got right to have a violet copy and digital copy to download. This is the way it should be going as people would buy BD quality if it contains just movie without all that crap and as there is with digital copy no media being involved it can be just cheaper. But it will not. They are so stupid. IF movies wore cheaper no one would even think to rip them or pirate them. Simple.
post #240 of 346 Old 04-25-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I actually don't have a problem with those since I have AnyDVD HD running in the background so I can go straight to menu. However, my mom and dad have never been able to make sense of varied DVD and Blu-ray navigation menus so I make main movie only copies. That way, they can just select a movie and hit play ala-Netflix. smile.gif

Alas, I like my special features so I keep a copy of the full ISO rips. tongue.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I7 4770k 3 5ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asrock , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Amd A6 3650 2 6ghz Socket Fm1 Quad Core Desktop Apu Cpu Gpu With Directx 11 Graphic
Gear in this thread - G2020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page