Am I the only one that uses Splashtop instead of team viewer ??? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I use this for my server. I do it nearly daily and it works very well. I love that I can click "use all monitors" and it brings up my 2600k based Flexraid server on all three of my triple monitors, or I can just use one monitor and keep my normal work station on the other two. Very nice!

I am a huge RDP user but I never figured out how to get audio and video to stream well, or use it to control my parents or brothers HTPC at their place or my own desktop from work.

I also never figured out how to use ipad or iphone to control my PC or server either (or other machines)

Can you clarify that for me?

Locally SLASHTOP is FREE. But over internet it requires a small but reasonable fee.

And my last question for you you guys is that I found it hard to set up RDP on a machine that did not have a password. I don't want a password on my machines, especially my HTPC which I don't want to enter from a remote only controlled device. Is there a way to get the normal microsoft RDP to work on say my HTPC without a password ?

It works great on my server because WHS2011 requires a password and I have one. But that threw me for a loop last I tried so I ended up just using splashtop which works well. I am sure there might exists a solution. know it ?

Maybe the answer is somewhere in this thread.... but why are you using a remote desktop application for audio/video streaming? You already have MB3 and Plex which both accomplish that task way better than any remote desktop.

When I'm out of the house I just connect to my VPN and continue using RDP from my laptop or Microsoft Remote Desktop or Remote RDP Enterprise for Android. I still use Plex for remote viewing/listening. If I need to connect to someone else's computer I use LogMeIn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Yeah I meant when I connect to other peoples computers or from away from home. I use RDP locally in my house. I don't port forward and use from outside my house though. I'm not streaming audio and video from someone else, but Slashtop does do a good job with that.

I was more just wondering why so many hang on the balls of teamviewer so much; I generally did not prefer it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #33 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yeah I meant when I connect to other peoples computers or from away from home. I use RDP locally in my house. I don't port forward and use from outside my house though. I'm not streaming audio and video from someone else, but Slashtop does do a good job with that.

Well I wouldn't port forward. Port forwarding is a pretty unsafe practice. It opens up your machine to any script kiddie that does a port scan. And let's face it. Once you find a Windows machine.... it's not that hard to get into it. That's why I use VPN. Obviously I'm not going to setup a VPN at family and friends for times when they need me to troubleshoot a PC issue. That's when I use LogMeIn. It's free and easy to install. I can't think of any time I would need to stream audio/video through a remote session though.
post #34 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Goggle Chrome Remote Desktop. Free and no port forwarding needed.

Splashtop can't exit out of WMC full screen /get to windowed mode and would often mess with my hdmi audio device.
post #35 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I use both Splashtop and RDP. Mostly RDP and I have small bat files created to reboot the server (cmd:shutdown /r /t 10). If I need to shutdown I'll just type the command on the command line. Just don't want anyone but me shutting down because the server/HTPC is on 24/7. If I need remote access to the server I'd feel MUCH safer VPNing into my home network then launching Splashtop/RDP. The fewer ports open to the Internet the better not to mention I know all communications are encrypted with VPN.

The part that I find the most annoying about RDP is it changes the sound settings which I then have to change back if I want 7.1.

-RobNY
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers