Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
http://www.splashtop.com/

Someone once recommended it to me (Damelon ?) and then Asrock started offering it as a standard with their mobos so I got hooked. It works very well. The ipad and iphone apps are also neat. I can sign onto my PC and control it anytime, and it streams audio and video very well.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used it for a couple of years but when they went to the annual subscription model, I bailed. Microsoft's remote desktop has come a long way and the ipad & android apps work quite well.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I just use RDP or Remote Desktop Manager...
post #4 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 252
+1 for RDP

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #5 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

I just use RDP or Remote Desktop Manager...

I use this for my server. I do it nearly daily and it works very well. I love that I can click "use all monitors" and it brings up my 2600k based Flexraid server on all three of my triple monitors, or I can just use one monitor and keep my normal work station on the other two. Very nice!

I am a huge RDP user but I never figured out how to get audio and video to stream well, or use it to control my parents or brothers HTPC at their place or my own desktop from work.

I also never figured out how to use ipad or iphone to control my PC or server either (or other machines)

Can you clarify that for me?

Locally SLASHTOP is FREE. But over internet it requires a small but reasonable fee.

And my last question for you you guys is that I found it hard to set up RDP on a machine that did not have a password. I don't want a password on my machines, especially my HTPC which I don't want to enter from a remote only controlled device. Is there a way to get the normal microsoft RDP to work on say my HTPC without a password ?

It works great on my server because WHS2011 requires a password and I have one. But that threw me for a loop last I tried so I ended up just using splashtop which works well. I am sure there might exists a solution. know it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I use this for my server. I do it nearly daily and it works very well. I love that I can click "use all monitors" and it brings up my 2600k based Flexraid server on all three of my triple monitors, or I can just use one monitor and keep my normal work station on the other two. Very nice!

I am a huge RDP user but I never figured out how to get audio and video to stream well, or use it to control my parents or brothers HTPC at their place or my own desktop from work.

I also never figured out how to use ipad or iphone to control my PC or server either (or other machines)

Can you clarify that for me?

Locally SLASHTOP is FREE. But over internet it requires a small but reasonable fee.

And my last question for you you guys is that I found it hard to set up RDP on a machine that did not have a password. I don't want a password on my machines, especially my HTPC which I don't want to enter from a remote only controlled device. Is there a way to get the normal microsoft RDP to work on say my HTPC without a password ?

It works great on my server because WHS2011 requires a password and I have one. But that threw me for a loop last I tried so I ended up just using splashtop which works well. I am sure there might exists a solution. know it ?

To access an RDP system over the internet you'll need to forward port 3389, and either take note of the cable modem's IP address or use some sort of dynamic DNS client to connect. That should be about it.

As far as using it with no password I believe the concurrent RDP session patch has an option to enable connecting with a blank password, but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that with your ports forwarded. Anyone could connect to you machine. All of my computers have a password. On my HTPC I simply enabled autologin and it's never been an issue, as I have no other inbound connections to that computer anyway.

post #7 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

On my HTPC I simply enabled autologin and it's never been an issue, as I have no other inbound connections to that computer anyway.

+1 That's how I do it also.
post #8 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok so let me clarify.

I don't want to ever be able to access my HTPC from outside my local LAN inside my home. Never from away from home ever. I only want to be able to use RDP on it from my desktop located in another room on the same local network. I don't want to port forward anything or expose myself or my HTPC to any harm even though it's a pure 100% HTPC that never contains any personal information so I don't really think it could hurt me. What's the worst someone could do? Watch my media ? I'm generally PC knowledgeable enough to avoid problems in these areas anyways. My HTPC does not even need internet access actually.

But I don't want to use a password on it. I want it to restart automatically and jump right to my front end. I only have a remote on it. No keyboard. No mouse.

I want to do my maintenance and stuff from my desktop in RDP session. Can I remove the password and do that ? How ?

-

post #9 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

But I don't want to use a password on it. I want it to restart automatically and jump right to my front end. I only have a remote on it. No keyboard. No mouse.

I want to do my maintenance and stuff from my desktop in RDP session. Can I remove the password and do that ? How ?

I cannot believe you don't know how to do an autologin ("netplwiz"); or, I cannot see the reason why you wouldn't want to.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

I cannot believe you don't know how to do an autologin ("netplwiz"); or, I cannot see the reason why you wouldn't want to.

I guess I don't. Aware me.

-

post #11 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
By entering the netplwiz command above, your can assign a designated User to automatically log in when the/a computer gets turned on or rebooted. You can also have the RDP remember your credentials so you don't have to enter a password all the time.

I use RDP from work with DDNS and a designated port which I forward to 3389.

Also use teamviewer when I want Restart/sleep options which I don't get with RDP. Also got Jump when it was offered by Amazon as free app of the day. Actually jump is my favorite RDP app for Android as it mostly behaves like windows RDP.
post #12 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 AM

Type netplwiz in the run line (start, search/run box at the bottom). That gets you into the user manager which will give you the option of "not requiring a password for login" or something to that effect. Computer will boot right in to the desktop without any user intervention.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't want to port forward or use over the internet. I just want to use RDP locally without needing a password. From one machine in my house to another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post

Type netplwiz in the run line (start, search/run box at the bottom). That gets you into the user manager which will give you the option of "not requiring a password for login" or something to that effect.

So if I do that I can RDP in without needing a password ?

-

post #14 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 AM

Not sure if RDP requires the password but in RDP you have the ability to "remember" the login and auto connect.
post #15 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that RDP does need the password but like I said, you type it in once and "save username and password".

In reality it's "remember my credentials"
post #16 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I don't. Aware me.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+auto+login

Aware.

post #17 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't want to port forward or use over the internet. I just want to use RDP locally without needing a password. From one machine in my house to another.
So if I do that I can RDP in without needing a password ?

The Concurrent RDP patch will allow you to login via RDP with a blank password.

The netplwiz change will allow you to put a password on your computer and still automatically login and launch your front end.

post #18 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Also use teamviewer when I want Restart/sleep options which I don't get with RDP.

RDP does have restart and sleep. While in an RDP session, click start, windows security on the remote PC. Then the power options are available in the lower right part of the screen.
oman321 likes this.
post #19 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok so I guess I am getting confused. You are saying that I put a password on my HTPC but then enable auto login ? Then I just use the password in RDP from my workstation and have it remember the password so I don't need to enter it each time ?

-

post #20 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Since you stream video with Splashtop, you may not want to go down the RDP road since it sucks a video streaming. Does everything else great though. Nice for messing with the HTPC without disturbing anyone else.
post #21 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post

RDP does have restart and sleep. While in an RDP session, click start, windows security on the remote PC. Then the power options are available in the lower right part of the screen.

Awesome, great tip. You don't know what you don't know biggrin.gif
post #22 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so I guess I am getting confused. You are saying that I put a password on my HTPC but then enable auto login ? Then I just use the password in RDP from my workstation and have it remember the password so I don't need to enter it each time ?

Yes. Once you do this you just click the connection you want, ba da boom, ba da bing.
post #23 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Yes. Once you do this you just click the connection you want, ba da boom, ba da bing.

I do that now with my server and WHS2011 from my desktop but I always just used splashtop when I wanted to use the HTPC because I hated having a password on it.

-

post #24 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

http://www.splashtop.com/

Someone once recommended it to me (Damelon ?) and then Asrock started offering it as a standard with their mobos so I got hooked. It works very well. The ipad and iphone apps are also neat. I can sign onto my PC and control it anytime, and it streams audio and video very well.

Yes you are the only one using splashtop instead of teamviewer

From the thread however, it appears many people still have love for RDP

I prefer VNC to RDP, so that's why I stick with TeamViewer

I don't stream audio and video that way. If there is something I wanted to watch or listen to I'd just open Plex Web in a browser (or if using tablet/smartphone the plex app)

I like teamviewer a lot, you can install the host-only package as well. That is what I have on my server, parents pc, and sisters pc. That way they can't use it to control my stuff by accident biggrin.gif. It uses default outgoing ports so there isn't anything to forward through your router smile.gif
post #25 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What exactly is so great about team viewer ? I find slashtop better in most ways.

-

post #26 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

What exactly is so great about team viewer ? I find slashtop better in most ways.

Actually I didn't realize splashtop wasn't a VNC client

For my parents / sister / etc, a VNC is more preferable to me since I login and take over their controls without logging them out. I can converse with them over the phone, and move their mouse around "showing" them what is going on

TeamViewer happens to be my preferred VNC client since it's Win/Nix supported with mobile apps as well. Icing is that it works with OSX as well

If there is something going on that endangers WAF while I'm away, I can "see" exactly what's going on and fix it without logging in / out / etc. I like the "shared" desktop experience for troubleshooting

Also, since I only use remotes on my HTPC (and server htpc tongue.gif ) it is also helpful if I do need to type or control anything with a keyboard / mouse
post #27 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You can also WOL from the webclient. Not yet available on the android app, not sure about ios. Not a big deal if you only use it locally, but nice if you want remote access to a powered down machine. Obviously you don't need teamviewer for WOL but it saves a step or 2.
post #28 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Hmm... $5/month for Splashtop. I think I'll stick with the free ones. VNC and RDP work fine. I have no need for streaming video inside a remote session.
ajhieb likes this.
post #29 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ah, so you guys are the reason why the drive-by botnets that hit the ranges at work test for port 3389 to be open. They clear and enumerate a /16 in a few seconds, its nuts.

I figured it was just a leftover port like 445 from the days when people actually plugged in directly, but guess they still find enough open that its worth cycling through the laundry list of windows exploits for anyone behind on their patches. (patch tuesday = exploit wednesday) Probably overdue for another 0day anyways.

PS you're crazy if you have services meant for trusted LANs forwarded to your WAN on the same ports no less.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #30 of 35 Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post

Ah, so you guys are the reason why the drive-by botnets that hit the ranges at work test for port 3389 to be open. They clear and enumerate a /16 in a few seconds, its nuts.

I figured it was just a leftover port like 445 from the days when people actually plugged in directly, but guess they still find enough open that its worth cycling through the laundry list of windows exploits for anyone behind on their patches. (patch tuesday = exploit wednesday) Probably overdue for another 0day anyways.

PS you're crazy if you have services meant for trusted LANs forwarded to your WAN on the same ports no less.

I'm only talking about local access via RDP inside my network, not from outside. I don't forward any ports.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page