post #1 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16

downloading and burning a windows 7 OS to DVD

well I think I just downloaded windows 7 home premium 64 bit from here
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/
so where is it located on my computer and how do I burn it to a DVD so I can install it (using my key code) on a new ssd or HDD for redundancy?

I looked in my docs. And my computer ((in the download section so maybe it did'nt DL)? all previous PC’s the seller provided a OS DVD the win7 machine doe’st come w/ a OS DVD.

I've never done this procedure so step by step instruction would convenient.
Any tips is apperceived

Edit I attemped to redownload and

I do see X15-65733.iso however I don’t know how to proceed w/ buring a DVD.
I opened this X15-65733.iso and see this attached image.

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

downloading and burning a windows 7 OS to DVD

well I think I just downloaded windows 7 home prelim 64 bit from here
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/
so where is it located on my computer and how do I burn it to a DVD so I can install it (using my key code) on a new ssd or HDD for redundancy?

I looked in my docs. And my computer all previous PC’s the seller provided a OS DVD the win7 machine doe’st come w/ a OS DVD.

I've never done this procedure so step by step instruction would convenient.
Any tips is apperceived
Thanks STB

Usually the default location for windows 7 downloads are here:

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It will be an ISO file that looks like this:

I renamed mine, but your's should look the same.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's easier to install from a USB stick and also a lot faster if you have one available versus burning the ISO to disc.

-

post #5 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It's easier to install from a USB stick and also a lot faster if you have one available versus burning the ISO to disc.

The easiest way I do it is with the official Microsoft USB installation tool:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

-

post #6 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Any DVD burning software, like Nero or ImgBurn, will write an iso image to a blank disc.
post #7 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Any DVD burning software, like Nero or ImgBurn, will write an iso image to a blank disc.

I thought windows does this automatically and native (ISO burn)

-

post #8 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Right click on the .iso file and select "Burn disc image" (with a blank disc in the drive of course).

post #9 of 73 Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is what I’ve done after the download.
My computer
downloads
OK I can right click this X15-65733 then open with, I have the option to windows disc. Image burner.

Is this X15-65733 actualley windows 7 OS because it’s appears to be NTI media maker
And the icon doe’snt look like Mfusick icon.
Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #10 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Is this X15-65733 actualley windows 7 OS because it’s appears to be NTI media maker
And the icon doe’snt look like Mfusick icon.
Thanks STB

Yes, all the W7 downloads I've ever done were named similar to that

Also, the W7-USB-install tool mfusick linked above will install much faster

Finally, if it's showing NTI media maker, it's because you've installed that program on your computer (or at least a trial of it, possibly bundled with something else) and it "set itself" as the Windows Default Program for handling all *.iso files.

If you insist on the DVD install instead of the faster usb way, then yes choose "Open with" and then "Windows disc image burner"
post #11 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I thought windows does this automatically and native (ISO burn)
I was under the same assumption, and it may actually be the case. When I right-click an iso on my Win 7 PC it gives me the option to burn it using ImgBurn instead. It could be because of having ImgBurn installed that it overrides the Windows option. I've always tended to shy away from any apps that Microsoft embedded in the OS as bloatware and prefer to stick with third party apps that I know and trust.
post #12 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was under the same assumption, and it may actually be the case. When I right-click an iso on my Win 7 PC it gives me the option to burn it using ImgBurn instead. It could be because of having ImgBurn installed that it overrides the Windows option. I've always tended to shy away from any apps that Microsoft embedded in the OS as bloatware and prefer to stick with third party apps that I know and trust.
I checked on a Win7 virtual machine that has only my IP cam software so there are no other programs for burning. It says what I mentioned above "Burn disc image" when right-clicking on an .iso file.

In this case I would not recommend the USB install method, just burn the disc and move on. I'm also wondering if installing Win7 from scratch is even a good idea. The OP would need to be able to identify, download, locate, and install missing drivers which is a bit more difficult than burning a disc image.

post #13 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

In this case I would not recommend the USB install method, just burn the disc and move on.
I've gotta disagree with you here. I use the USB install method exclusively now for any Windows OS install. It's much faster than an optical disc and is perfect for setting up SFF PCs with no internal optical drive.
post #14 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've gotta disagree with you here. I use the USB install method exclusively now for any Windows OS install. It's much faster than an optical disc and is perfect for setting up SFF PCs with no internal optical drive.

Normally I"d agree with you as well, but this is a special case.

post #15 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 234
FWIW, on my workstation, I don't have "Burn Disc Image" on my context menu for .ISO files, but I do have:

Open
Open With => PowerISO
.....................Windows Disc Image Burner
.....................WinRAR

I don't remember if I had to go and add the "Windows Image Disc Burner" after installing WinRAR and PowerISO, but there is a possibility depending on what software is installed on OP's PC that it doesn't have the native "Burn Disc Image" on the context menu anymore.

But looking at a clean install of Win7 on my laptop, "Burn Disc Image" is the default action for the file.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #16 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

FWIW, on my workstation, I don't have "Burn Disc Image" on my context menu for .ISO files, but I do have:

Open
Open With => PowerISO
.....................Windows Disc Image Burner
.....................WinRAR

I don't remember if I had to go and add the "Windows Image Disc Burner" after installing WinRAR and PowerISO, but there is a possibility depending on what software is installed on OP's PC that it doesn't have the native "Burn Disc Image" on the context menu anymore.

But looking at a clean install of Win7 on my laptop, "Burn Disc Image" is the default action for the file.

If you change the default back to Windows Disc Image Burner the "Burn Disk Image" should come back to the context menu.

@ Steve: NTI Media Maker sounds like some bloatware preinstalled on your computer. I would uninstall it

post #17 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Uninstall quick !

-

post #18 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Last time I downloaded Image burn (decent program ) it came with some male ware ................fortunately I had a clean copy on an older back up although I used the Windows Disc Image Burner the "Burn Disk Image" on my last clean W7 install after replacing a dodgy Hdd recently it worked fine.
Power ISO sounds like something that you might not need I would get rid of it .

I have run into *some * OEM bios that will not allow to set boot from USB option.

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #19 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Windows has built in and free burning software that's integrated and super easy to use just a couple clicks it's nearly automatic when I did it from what I remember

-

post #20 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Last time I downloaded Image burn (decent program ) it came with some male ware ................fortunately I had a clean copy on an older back up although I used the Windows Disc Image Burner the "Burn Disk Image" on my last clean W7 install after replacing a dodgy Hdd recently it worked fine.
Power ISO sounds like something that you might not need I would get rid of it .

I have run into *some * OEM bios that will not allow to set boot from USB option.

I use PowerISO daily. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.

The Windows tool is great for burning images but that's all it can do. When you are changing the contents of those ISOs you need something more.

post #21 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Never used Power ISO it could be fine after looking at it with Google it sounds like it could be useful ......... Image burn is good as well .

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #22 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Usually when I need to burn a disc I try to find a way to do what I need without burning a disc. This isn't the 90s/00s anymore.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

post #23 of 73 Old 03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Usually when I need to burn a disc I try to find a way to do what I need without burning a disc. This isn't the 90s/00s anymore.

I burn about a couple a year. Almost never. That is why I said use the USB method above. It's just a better way to do it. He would not need to figure out any burning either. I find it easier to copy windows to a USB stick than burn an ISO image disc. Plus it installs faster.

-

post #24 of 73 Old 03-16-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to agree I rarely burn discs anymore although I do have *some apps and data files on DVD back up for worst case scenarios . I only use a DVD to install windows when the PC (usually OEM ) bios won't allow booting from a USB , USB install is the better way for sure.
Microsoft has a win 7 USB Widows installer tool available. Probably one for Win 8 also.

post #25 of 73 Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Well, if this is in reference to my use of PoweISO I don't really burn discs very often either.

But for my job I manage a lot of Windows machines, (production, and classroom environment) and depending on the deployment scenario those installs are delivered a number of different ways including over the network, USB and yes, DVD. Regardless of the deployment method, I've found that archiving the image as a bootable, installable ISO image is cheap easy and extremely convenient.

And in some cases where network deployment (my preference) isn't feasible for a group of machines, I'll often burn several copies and install via DVD as it ends up being much quicker than trying to copy everything over to USB sticks.

post #26 of 73 Old 03-17-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Couple of ?s on my first SSD install.

Would like this procedure be as painless as possible and not fool w/ drivers.

I have decided to use 60GB on the HTPC
Thoughts on this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211601

I would like to have 240GB for my lap top (work station internet PC) that will be another thread.

I kindof like the Adata it comes w/ a 3.5” mount bracket and I believe it comes w/
Acronis True Image HD, Disk Migration Utility
I was actualley planning on not burning a win7 OS dvd was planning on cloning
w/ Acronis (free trail).
?1.so is this Acronis True Image HD, Disk Migration Utility
That comes w/ the Adata cloning software.

Cloning Lap Top HDD and HTPC w/ SSD

my plan to use a portable 2.5” enclosure like this bottom link.

I also plan to save the files on the current HDD to the portable HDD.

I see 4 small nipples on one side of enclosure
?1.I’m assuming these are rubber screw Covers
?2. that I can remove w/ my fingernail?
?3.I’m thinking it can be disassembled and insert a SSD?

?4.Then use acronis (free trail version) to mirror the HDD.

?5.What do you Guy’s think about cloning a HDD to SSD this Man at New Egg say’s it’s not recommended. And the SSD should have a fresh copy of win7 OS.

?6. my main concern is setting the trim requirements in the BIOS w/ my clone procedure should the trim be set first before mirroring HDD?

?7.And what is the trim set to? AHCI ?
Not sure if the hyperlinks are truncated the portable HDD is the westerndigital my passport ultra 2.5” 2TB
Other is new egg tutruial of SSD.

Thanks Guy’s for the surport STB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=291

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-236-568&nm_mc=EMC-GD031214&cm_mmc=EMC-GD031214-_-index-_-Item-_-22-236-568

post #27 of 73 Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone w/ advice for the newb.

Cloning instead of burning a DVD?

Edit: last time I added a piece of hardware the PC asked me if I wanted the lastest drivers and installed them itself, what all drivers will require me to update?

Seams like cloning is the easiest.

still waiting on responses from ?s 1/1-7
STB

post #28 of 73 Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

What could possibly go wrong?

We have no idea which drivers you may need because each computer is different. Anything that isn't included with Windows 7 would be required. Some devices may work better with vendor provided drivers than those that are installed with Windows.

Cloning might work fine or not. Most do a clean install instead of a clone because you would end up with a nice clean system and no concern if the clone worked out or not.

1. Maybe they are screw covers or maybe it just keeps the drive from slipping off the table. Since this is an external hard drive you will probably need to pry the plastic halves apart if you are wanting to use the HDD.
2. I've never seen your fingernails so I can't answer that question. Just leave the nipples alone unless instructed to do otherwise (this is good advice in general).
3. Why would you do this? Do you already own this drive? Now I see what you are asking in 1 and 2. Just buy a simple 2.5" SATA to USB enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182140
4. That is one option.
5. Probably not recommended in your case, but you'll probably do it anyway.
6. Trim is set in the OS. I've never seen a BIOS option for setting Trim. In the BIOS you set the drive mode to AHCI.
7. See 6.

You link isn't an enclosure, it is a full drive (notice the price).

post #29 of 73 Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bryan I was thinking the rubber nipples (screw covers) were simiarl to a LT screen bezel.

No I haven’t purchased this portable yet (I’ve been wanting one for travel) and maybe the last HDD I get. So I can concentrate on bigger stuff.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-236-568&nm_mc=EMC-GD031214&cm_mmc=EMC-GD031214-_-index-_-Item-_-22-236-568

My fingernails have major prying torque kindof like a flathead screwdriver.

OK so in the NE SSD video where he talked about setting trim in the BIOS (which he never said what setting) was incorrect what he meant to say was just set trim to ACHI.?

Are you saying the portable my ultra can’t be pryed apart and insert the SSD (then make a USB SATA conection) use either the free trail of Arconis or is
That comes w/ the Adata cloning software. Actually cloning software?

Quote “You link isn't an enclosure, it is a full drive (notice the price).”
? so my plan to dissassemble this portable an insert a SSD ins’t possible because this drive ins’nt made to be disassembled?
Thanks STB

post #30 of 73 Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bryan I was thinking the rubber nipples (screw covers) were simiarl to a LT screen bezel.

No I haven’t purchased this portable yet (I’ve been wanting one for travel) and maybe the last HDD I get. So I can concentrate on bigger stuff.

My fingernails have major prying torque kindof like a flathead screwdriver.

OK so in the NE SSD video where he talked about setting trim in the BIOS (which he never said what setting) was incorrect what he meant to say was just set trim to ACHI.?

Are you saying the portable my ultra can’t be pryed apart and insert the SSD (then make a USB SATA conection) use either the free trail of Arconis or is
That comes w/ the Adata cloning software. Actually cloning software?

Quote “You link isn't an enclosure, it is a full drive (notice the price).”
? so my plan to dissassemble this portable an insert a SSD ins’t possible because this drive ins’nt made to be disassembled?
Thanks STB

Here is a video showing how to disassemble the drive you linked http://youtu.be/2GGTQF6oE3E

It is possible, but not what you want to do. You need a SATA to USB enclosure like what I linked above. These are made to come apart and accept any SATA drive. You can buy them as 3.5" and 2.5" form factors. I'm not even sure what you are trying to do at this point, but to clone the drive you would put the SSD in your computer and connect it with the existing HDD's SATA connection. Then put the existing HDD in the enclosure and plug it into the USB port. Point the cloning software to the two drives making sure the source (HDD) and destination (SSD) are correct. Once completed you would disconnect the enclosure and you should be set.

If your current computer isn't set to AHCI in the BIOS then you need to make a registry change in Windows to enable that mode otherwise you will not be able to boot. There are plenty of guides on how to do this.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page