Kaveri vs Haswell for new HTPC - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I found the i3-4130 to run very cool and use very little power, so much so I could put it in a case only 7.75" x 7.75" x 2.15". I don't see the need for the T after seeing how it runs in the tiniest case I have.

Kill-a-Watt readings of the H81T/CSM + i3-4130 system:

Windows 7 desktop (nothing running, just sitting idle): 14.8W
Watching 1080p MKV: 19.9W-20.3W
Prime-95: 53.8W
Idle with screen off: 9.8W ( after 15min it turns the screen off automatically and then I let it sit another 15min but it was not in sleep )
Sleep: 1.4W

Iwill S197-H55 (SH-55) mini-ITX case
i3-4130 CPU
ASUS H81T/CSM motherboard
8GB RAM (1 x 8GB)
64GB mSATA SSD
19V 4.74A (90W) AC adapter

Mfusick likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 932
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523434/intel-promises-sub-10-watt-pc-operation-with-ready-mode/0_100

I wonder how this will shake things up. Looks pretty cool.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #33 of 44 Old 03-24-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I saw that! Hopefully some good comes out of it since I just got my Intel i3 setup from Microcenter at lunch and the power supply showed up on my doorstep today.

I went with the i3-4340 for budgetary reasons. My in-laws saw my old setup and were suitably impressed and want their own now... I guess I can always re-purpose the i3 for something else if it's not enough for my needs since my parents, my in-laws, my best friend, and someone at work all want to pay me to build them a system! Guess it's time to setup my work bench again and turn my laptop into a demo computer!

post #34 of 44 Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludeman92 View Post

I saw that! Hopefully some good comes out of it since I just got my Intel i3 setup from Microcenter at lunch and the power supply showed up on my doorstep today.

I went with the i3-4340 for budgetary reasons. My in-laws saw my old setup and were suitably impressed and want their own now... I guess I can always re-purpose the i3 for something else if it's not enough for my needs since my parents, my in-laws, my best friend, and someone at work all want to pay me to build them a system! Guess it's time to setup my work bench again and turn my laptop into a demo computer!

Be careful what you wish for and install TeamViewer on all of them biggrin.gif

post #35 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mfusick - Would you recommend an SSD for a FlexRaid server running WHS2011?
post #36 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a 64GB SSD for my WHS2011 OS and all my other data separated onto HDDs. I found the SSD makes all the other stuff I do on the server speedy, especially launching the Dashboard, MediaBrowser server UI, StableBit DrivePool UI, etc. In my new server build (same PC-Q08 case), I have an mSATA SSD but before it was a 2.5" SSD and there was a special spot for it that didn't take up a 3.5" HDD bay.

But, this is an age-old argument. It's really each to their own.

My server build:
Lian-Li PC-Q08B case
FSP FSP300-60GHS(85) 300W SFX Bronze power supply
Giada N70E-DR motherboard
8GB SO-DIMM (1 x 8GB)
64GB mSATA Samsung SSD
1 x PCIe x4 2-port SATAIII card
2 x 3TB Seagate
3 x 4TB Seagate
1 x 2TB Samsung
( 2 x 9.1TB pools, one for live data, one for backup - not mirroring)
1 x 5.25" tray-less SATA hotswap bay (for making offline backup of critical data to take offsite)
1 x Gelid 14 PWM 140mm fan, 1 x 120mm Fractal Design PWM fan
WHS2011, MB3 Server, StableBit DrivePool

post #37 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

Mfusick - Would you recommend an SSD for a FlexRaid server running WHS2011?

Yes. It's clearly worth the money spent. The performance advantage of an SSD permeates into every facet of operation and is clearly noticeable. It won't make your files serve faster- or improve your LAN speed, so a lot of ignorant folks will claim it's not needed for that reason but they clearly don't understand the real benefits. It's basically the same advantage is has in a HTPC or regular PC- which is nearly everything you could measure.

The end.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #38 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I have a 64GB SSD for my WHS2011 OS and all my other data separated onto HDDs. I found the SSD makes all the other stuff I do on the server speedy, especially launching the Dashboard, MediaBrowser server UI, StableBit DrivePool UI, etc. In my new server build (same PC-Q08 case), I have an mSATA SSD but before it was a 2.5" SSD and there was a special spot for it that didn't take up a 3.5" HDD bay.

But, this is an age-old argument. It's really each to their own.

Well said. I use RDP often and that process is much snappier and improved. You make great points about the programs too, I notice the exact same things. Launching something like PLEX SERVER or MB3 SERVER is snappier and faster, and installing any program, restarts, launching a program- and a lot of the other things you might do are all clearly improved the same as you see on a normal PC. WHS is not much unlike W7- so you notice the benefit just the same IMO. There is lots you can or might do with a server and those things are improved with an SSD for the OS. You might not use a server as often and as directly as a PC or HTPC so many argue that it's not needed or perhaps it's less valuable- but that is purely a judgement call on "value" that doesn't change one ounce of fact SSD is better.

-

post #39 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Ok you guys have convinced me! smile.gif I didn't think an SSD would help on the Server once the programs were loaded, but sounds like it will. My HTPC is currently using a Samsung 830 128GB SSD and I will never go back to regular spinning disk for the OS. I'm thinking of moving that 830 SSD to my Server to replace the WD Blue 640GB HDD and buying a new Samsung 840 EVO 120GB for the HTPC. My server motherboard supports mSATA, but for the same price for a 64GB mSATA I can get a 2.5" 120GB SSDs. Although WHS2011 will partion it down to 60GB anyway, right. I was just trying to reuse the old SSD.
post #40 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok you guys have convinced me! smile.gif I didn't think an SSD would help on the Server once the programs were loaded, but sounds like it will. My HTPC is currently using a Samsung 830 128GB SSD and I will never go back to regular spinning disk for the OS. I'm thinking of moving that 830 SSD to my Server to replace the WD Blue 640GB HDD and buying a new Samsung 840 EVO 120GB for the HTPC. My server motherboard supports mSATA, but for the same price for a 64GB mSATA I can get a 2.5" 120GB SSDs. Although WHS2011 will partion it down to 60GB anyway, right. I was just trying to reuse the old SSD.

I would not get the EVO - get the Samsung PRO. Newegg has it for $109 right now. It's worth it, especially if you are upgrading your 830. The EVO isn't really much better than the 830 so if you go that route just use the EVO in the server in the first place and save the trouble. If you wanted an upgrade grab the PRO version for a couple bucks more. It's the one to get. Very fast.

As for the partition- yes if you use the F-10 install hack you can install to a drive smaller than 160GB. There is a step by step guide in my server thread for installing WHS 2011 to a smaller than 160GB drive. I never use the USB method, for some reason it never works for me. I use the F-10 edit the notepad method and it works flawlessly.

If you get a 60GB parition for WHS all you need to do is delete the non C drive parition on your SSD and make it RAW in Disk Manager- then click on your C drive paritiion that is 60GB and "expand" it to fill the entire drive. That way you can use the entire SSD for WHS OS installation- and only have one parition on your SSD. It's easy. If you get stuck just PM me or ask in my server thread I can walk you through it. No need for only a 60GB parition on the SSD. That's just a waste. You will want to use it for a cache too- you can set your album art and cache for MB server to SSD to speed things up. It helps.

-

post #41 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For the purposes you listed, both are actually more then you need. Really, the intel "dual core" line for ~$50 assuming those are still around in the current generation is all you need for that stuff. As someone mentioned before, for basic viewing with no intensive post processing like madVR, nothing special is needed as far as current on chip graphics go. Those also have plenty of power cpu wise for on the fly transcoding to devices like Roku and such, serving extenders, etc, but more importantly are cost effective and low power for that application. That said, if you are set getting 1 of those 2, I'd say get whatever you can put together cheaper as both will fit the bill just fine. If both are equal, I'd lean towards the i3 as intel still seems to remain more efficient and cooler running then AMD cpus.
post #42 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM

I don't see any benefit for getting the Pro over the EVO. Maybe the Pro has a little faster random writes but I'd rather get the newer technology offered in the EVO: newer controllers, smaller NAND geometries, more DRAM, etc. There have been many endurance tests on TLC lifespan and they average 8-11 yrs with abuse, so that superstition of TLC not reliable is now a myth. Plus the EVO is cheaper. I don't need very ounce of performance for my HTPC? Even my 830 SSD is fast for me.

Thanks for the tips on using a smaller than 160GB drive and merging all he partitions into 1.

For the caching, I thought the goal was to not use an SSD for that? As the increased write cycles with caching will reduce the NAND lifespan. In my Win7 Samsungs software has disable all prefetch and caching for this purpose.
post #43 of 44 Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd totally use (and did) a SSD you have on-hand. Or, buy one of the $50 64GB SSDs. I have a cheapo Kingston V100 64GB in mine for years. A WHS2011 OS drive sees very, very light use. "On hand" is also how I ended up with 8GB in my server because that's what I had, a 8GB SO-DIMM.

To install WHS2011 on a partition smaller than 160GB follow this simple guide: http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2011/09/20/installing-whs-2011-or-sbs-2011-essentials-on-ssd-or-sata-hard-drives-smaller-than-160gb/

If you're installing from a USB then the cfg.ini file can go on the install USB. It doesn't have to be separate.
Mfusick likes this.

post #44 of 44 Old 03-30-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't bother disabling anything in the OS for an SSD anymore. All those "tweaks" seem to do nothing for me so I determined it's not worth the trouble. I also don't believe any excess wear from not doing it would burn out my SSD. I have 5 year old sata 2 SSD still going strong ... I wouldn't ever want to keep an SSD long enough to worry about burning it out from wear. I like to stay on the cutting edge; the frustration of owning aging pc hardware that's slow is undesirable to me and the cost to upgrade is money well spent to avoid such scenarios. I'd never buy an SSD today thinking I'd have it longer than 5 years. That's just me though.
scott750 likes this.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Intel , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Amd A6 3650 2 6ghz Socket Fm1 Quad Core Desktop Apu Cpu Gpu With Directx 11 Graphic
Gear in this thread - 5400k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page