At my wits end! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 200w PSU. Is that enough for my needs? I'm just trying to exhaust all options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 300
For your 65watt CPU and ,2drives with one being SS you should be fine with a 200w PSU .
. Your hardware is more than enough for smooth streaming . Use Netflix in IE11 Desktop mode only don't use metro hell IE11 /Netflix no HD support there or in WMC ,

WMC Netfix app is waaay out of date ,unstable and no longer supported .
In fact WMC isn't all that stable either most of the time .

In F/F Silverlight or Flash both suck big time . F/F sucks at streaming so does IE 11 .

IE 11 and flash are often unstable . Only thing W8 /IE11 are good for is Netlix HD on a PC and just barley at that . No Amazon HD video is supported on PC at all .

Chrome is the ONLY way to stream flash

Ditch the Firefox and get Chrome it's way more stable with Flash than IE11 or F/F .
That should fix you up ,Firefox is yesterdays news and isn't that great anymore . From your earlier post your throughput looks fine so does your hdwe for streaming and the occasional DVD rip .

Roku is still better at streaming than a PC with full HD support you don't need an HTPC to stream Netflix,Amazon or Hulu . Only for ripping ,encoding ,editing and archiving or gaming but you won't be gaming on that set up anyway it should be fine for HTPC .

Streaming is not a good reason to build HTPC anymore these days .
when you can buy a $60.00 puck (Roku ) that does it way better

One of my networked PC's here is an amd box with win 7x64 , 7500rpm Hdd ,O.C. Phenom II x4 CPU ,dedicated HD video and sound cards a fat cpu cooler and 16 GB ram it burns and encodes pretty well but is way overkill for streaming although it does it well using Chrome

.I have IE 11 but don't use it . I use the Roku to watch Netflix,Amazon or whatever it's very good at what it does
without issues .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #63 of 75 Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I tried Chrome and it's doing the same thing. I know I should just throw in the towel but there is part of me that wants the HTPC to do it all and seamlessly. I think what's so frustrating is that as a few posters have pointed out, my hardware should be able to stream fine and my internet seems adequate. It just won't hold steady.

post #64 of 75 Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys after doing some research and talking to people I'm now wondering if this has to do with my video hardware and how it decodes FPS. It seems like 60FPS is smooth as butter on my 60HZ LCD but HULU and it's 23.xxxxxxxFPS is herky jerky. So could this be a refresh/FPS issue and how would I check?
post #65 of 75 Old 03-22-2014, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Probably will be something like that.

I just tried a Netflix movie that played well on the new HTPC, and then compared it with the macbook, and i'm not getting the same silky smooth motion on the macbook (maybe it's the size of the screen, but it's not too bad either).

If the refresh rate doesn't match the fps in some way or another, it has to in a sense, create frames that don't exist. Some hardware & TV's can cope with this (Roku being clever with it?) 23.976fps and 60hz is quite different, but with MPC-HC/MadVR/Reclock, it seems to do a decent job of sorting out 60Hz on my PC monitor.  My PC monitor isn't meant for video though, so it never looks magnificent.

My TV does the 24hz, 50hz and 60hz, and although 50hz is good on 25FPS material, it is much more fluid with the 23.976fps blu rays at 24hz. I've now got Netflix playing back as per 23.976fps/24hz (TV), and it's much better than the 50hz or 60hz. My TV in particular favours 23.976 material though, which was the main reason i bought it - i know there are better tv's for the 50/60hz though.

Can you play a 23.976fps movie in a media player, without the bells and whistles of reclock etc?

post #66 of 75 Old 03-22-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have any of that software installed. So 24p doesn't divide into 60hz evenly but it did into 120hz. Would that make a difference based on this logic?
post #67 of 75 Old 03-22-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 133
If Hulu in a browser is jerky try the Hulu XBMC addon. It plays much smoother than flash for me. Also has the additional ability to block ads.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Hulu
post #68 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkracker View Post

I don't have any of that software installed. So 24p doesn't divide into 60hz evenly but it did into 120hz. Would that make a difference based on this logic?

Hmm, possibly. Does the tv auto-select 120hz with local media? I only really know my tv's strengths and weaknesses, just to warn you and i don't think my tv has a 120hz option.

post #69 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to install xmbc for sure as I also read it has an auto select for refresh rates that matches the media.

My tv is only 60hz however it will not display if I choose the 50hz option.
post #70 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

After further investigation I think I'm on to something here with the refresh theory. I even ran into a thread here on AVS about 24p capable TVs. Something called 3:2 judder. Its caused by pulldown. 120hz is 5:5 reducing/eliminating this jerky panning. Jonny for you I think it works because your TV it's set up for PAL which is 50hz.

So let's say this is true and fixes my issue by upgrading from my 6+ year old Emerson LCD, how does the ROKU compensate where my PC won't??
post #71 of 75 Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkracker View Post

...The TV is 32" 720p 60Hz.

What video format is your HTPC set to output to the TV?

I have a 1080p capable Sony. But I have to set my HTPC to output 1080i. This way the TV handles de-interlacing. This is the only way I can get Netflix to stream without judder with my setup.
post #72 of 75 Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

The lowest CCC will allow is 720p so that is what I have it set at. There is an option for 59hz (tried that with no change) and 50hz. When I try to force the LCD to run at 50hz the screen goes blank and will not display.

post #73 of 75 Old 03-24-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Forcing it onto 1080i standard it was definitely a clearer picture but it made everything on my screen smaller. 1080i optimized makes my window bar look like it's vibrating. Either way it's still twitchy.

post #74 of 75 Old 03-26-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

SOLVED!

Bought a Hisense 120Hz TV. Selected 23Hz refresh rate now all is well.

Thanks for hanging in there guys. I hope now someone with my issue can now find a solution on this forum!

post #75 of 75 Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM

That's excellent news, time to sit down, feet up, an enjoy, and a new TV to enjoy also!  :)

kaptinkracker likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page