Let's talk about HTPC storage. How much storage is "enough" in today's digital world ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
mcturkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

GB needed to store 1 hour of 4K video = A
Maximum possible hours of video consumption per week = B
# of weeks left in my life if I live to be 130 = C

A x B x C = ? TB.

Ignoring changes in video resolution/technology over time, and the difference in viewing hours after I'm able to retire, these would be the #s for me:

50GB/hr
25HR/wk
5200 weeks left (living to 130).

6.5PB

So, 6.5PB might theoretically be enough, if we never go beyond 4K (if holodecks/holomovies aren't a thing in my lifetime, I'm going to be pissed!), and I never increase my viewing time.
mcturkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 838
holomovies or holodeck (start trek NG style !) sounds really super duper awesome. I want that!

One the other conversation,

One thing I noticed having a media server is my viewing time has not increased or changed but my viewing efficiency has. I still spend about the same amount of time, but I spend a lot less time searching for something to watch, or being advertised at. Much more of my limited time is spent being entertained- which is really the point and the value attraction of a media server and HTPC over broadcasting and discs. I can click anything I want it and it just plays without commercials or other crap. Of coarse I've spent a lot of time and effort setting it all up and on media management. That's probably the negative, but I kinda like it. I am strange like that. I think that's why this is a hobby and not something everyone does. Different opinions on that area.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #33 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
C17chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Never worried about it. Hard drives are cheap and more then worth the cost vs the amount of movies (or other data that applies to you) they can hold. If I start running low on space, I buy more. Simple as that.

Really the biggest step is if you horde enough content that you need to move away from local hard disks to a server...but even a simple media server can be set up relatively inexpensively in a case that cold hold a lot of drives. Only real downside is once you start getting too massive of a collection, you kind of need to run a RAID array if you haven't, and need to start putting in drives for parity rather then storage space as it grows which lowers the cost effectiveness some.
C17chief is online now  
post #34 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
staknhalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Plus, some people don't want another device to maintain (server), like me. I understand the benefits of a server; but after working on tickets all day, the last thing I want is to come home and have yet ANOTHER computer to maintain. Or just add another link to the chain for possible troubleshooting/failure. I already have enough devices at home to deal with. Even with minimal upkeep/maintenance, it's still has to be done; and it's yet another computer that's running (for some 24/7) using up more electricity. For some it's worth it, for others it's not. Different strokes for different folks is all.

If I was rich enough to build/buy whatever I wanted, not care about electricity, didn't have to work and/or be able to pay someone to maintain all the **** for me, sure I'd probably do it. Hell, I'd have backup servers for my backup servers for my backup servers then :P
staknhalo is offline  
post #35 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'd like to take on this argument I keep seeing in this and other threads that the cost of storage is cheap vs. the cost of content, therefore whatever you pay for storage is a bargain and you shouldn't even think twice about constantly buying more. I'll admit the logic is impeccable if you're stinking rich but on behalf of those of us who aren't, I'd like to offer a few counterpoints:

1) Chicken and egg. Are you really buying more storage because you need more space for all the content you just have to have, or are you are acquiring new content (often of more middling or worse quality than you would have before) because you already have the solution for storing and organizing more than you ever thought you'd own?

2) Justifying the purchase of one item based on its relative cost to another isn't really a practical exercise for those of us who are actually on a budget. ie. Whatever I may have invested in all of my movies and TV shows, my wife isn't going to buy that $100 spent on another 3TB hard drive is cheap (relatively or otherwise) if we've got other bills to pay.

3) Is there any other expense in your HTPC hobby that this same logic could not be extended to also? If you should be comfortable spending whatever on storage because you've already invested a lot more in the content then shouldn't you be just as comfortable spending whatever on your display, your HTPC, your AV receiver, your speakers, and on and on?

4) Now that you've rationalized spending without limits on every other aspect of your HTPC hobby, go back to step 1. Isn't there more crappy content you need to go get now?? What do you have all this great gear for anyway? smile.gif

Sorry but it just sounds like crackhead logic to me.
ElJimador is online now  
post #36 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dropkick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Sorry but it just sounds like crackhead logic to me.

I understand what you're saying there but the flipside is that we all prioritize our possessions and hobbies differently. You may believe that spending $2000 on a server and storage drives is ridiculous, just the same way I laugh to myself when I see someone driving around in a car with $2000 dollar rims. I spend a lot of my expendable income on this hobby because I enjoy it and hopefully one day I'll just press "Play All" and wait to die wink.gif

Dropkick Murphy is offline  
post #37 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

I understand what you're saying there but the flipside is that we all prioritize our possessions and hobbies differently. You may believe that spending $2000 on a server and storage drives is ridiculous, just the same way I laugh to myself when I see someone driving around in a car with $2000 dollar rims. I spend a lot of my expendable income on this hobby because I enjoy it and hopefully one day I'll just press "Play All" and wait to die wink.gif

Oh yeah I get that, and I'm not questioning anyone else's priorities if they want to invest a lot more in their server than I would. God knows I've spent way more on this hobby than anyone else I know in real life so that would hypocritical of me to judge others here the same way I'm sure some of those folks would judge my habits. It's just that I've seen it expressed a lot of times on this forum that whenever you're running low on storage just buy more because it's cheap. And I'm just not buying that it's really that simple for anyone (even for people with much larger budgets than my own). There's got to be an upper limit for everybody, and some acknowledgement that the equipment you invest in tends to drive your content purchasing decisions as much as the other way around.

As I see it, investing in storage beyond a certain point is nothing but a license to go out and get more content. Now you've got the new hard drives you might as well start filling 'em up, right? That's the crackhead part of it. It's an endless justification loop to just keep acquiring more and more. Which if that's what someone wants to do, then go for it and god bless. I'm really not judging that. If it makes you happy, knock yourself out. I'm just saying this particular argument is really just pure rationalization.
ElJimador is online now  
post #38 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How much storage do you have?

18TB Raw... 9TB as I have it configured now in ZFS mirror.

Quote:
How much storage do you want ideally ?

I'm good for a long time. I don't hoard. I delete after watching. :P

Quote:
How much storage do you expect to have over the next few years?

I don't think I'll get much above what I have now.

Quote:
Is your current storage strategy and solution going to hold up for the next 24-36 months do you think ?

Yes, easily.

Quote:
What do you currently use? What do you like about it? What do you wish you could improve?

An OpenIndiana virtual machine with one M1015 passed through serving up six 2TB drives and two 3TB drives. They are all mirrored/striped (like a giant RAID 10) with ZFS. I also have a 60GB SLC-SSD to use as a write-cache (SLOG).

I love ZFS, it gives me the performance and capacity tradeoffs that work for me. The pool is serving as the VMware datastore and file-server duties. I had a drive fail a couple of weeks ago, It resilvered in 1 hour. If I want more capacity, I'll add another pair of drives, and it will increase the overall speed of the pool to boot. And with the data-protection that ZFS offers, I sleep well at night.

What would I want to improve? Nothing, except I wish I would have invested in hot-swap bays. :/

Quote:
Is there a light at the end of the tunnel or is this a never ending black hole of HTPC ? If you drop a hard drive into the black hole of storage would it ever hit the bottom where enough is enough ?

It's quite simple... don't hoard. How many movies do you really watch more than once?
Puwaha is offline  
post #39 of 241 Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

60 BAYS ! eek.gif

60 Bays? Pfffft. How about 90 in a 4U case!?

http://www.supermicro.nl/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847DE26-R2K02JBOD.cfm

That's potentially 360TB in only 4U of rack space.
Puwaha is offline  
post #40 of 241 Old 03-22-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

I'd like to take on this argument I keep seeing in this and other threads that the cost of storage is cheap vs. the cost of content, therefore whatever you pay for storage is a bargain and you shouldn't even think twice about constantly buying more. I'll admit the logic is impeccable if you're stinking rich but on behalf of those of us who aren't, I'd like to offer a few counterpoints:

1) Chicken and egg. Are you really buying more storage because you need more space for all the content you just have to have, or are you are acquiring new content (often of more middling or worse quality than you would have before) because you already have the solution for storing and organizing more than you ever thought you'd own?

2) Justifying the purchase of one item based on its relative cost to another isn't really a practical exercise for those of us who are actually on a budget. ie. Whatever I may have invested in all of my movies and TV shows, my wife isn't going to buy that $100 spent on another 3TB hard drive is cheap (relatively or otherwise) if we've got other bills to pay.

There's really two big parts to this "argument" or whatever and I think you're combining them.

The first one is do you want your collected media "online" (ie available electronically, not on the internet) at all or not? If I were on a budget such that I had to choose between storing my content "online" and buying content at all, well I'd choose the content. A media server, or storage for media is 100% optional and something that's just cool convenient. The reason this is the first question is because the infrastructure to electronically store media is the "expensive" part, what I mean is the motherboard, case, CPU, etc are a fixed cost, not related to the media.

Now if you've decided that you can fit mass media storage in your budget, then the question becomes how much. Well I suppose there's two parts to this and they have dramatically different realities. First is the "fixed" cost of just obtaining storage for your media, this sort of falls into your 2, it can be very costly up front if you've got a large library. But as to this, I say see my first part.

But what most here mean when they say it's cheap, they're talking incremental cost. And it's just a fact that incremental cost of storage is miniscule compared to the cost of media. Just as an example, say you buy a new release on Blu-ray. That's going to run about $20, and be about say 50GB. Storage is about $0.03/GB today ($100/3000GB), so that means the storage for one Blu-ray cost at most, $1.50.

What I would say to your budget argument is, if you want to store your movies digitally, surely you can budget to save $1.50 each time you spend $20 on a movie.

$100 spent every 60-100 Blu-rays is cheap. And if it's important to have your BDs "online" surely you can figure something out, like skip buying 5 BDs and put that money in a jar or something for that HDD you want to store the other 55+ BDs.

To be clear I know I'm not saying storage is so cheap that everyone should have media servers and store all their movies "online". What I am saying is if you've decided to do that, the (incremental) cost to store a BD is trivial compared to the cost of the BD itself.
Quote:
3) Is there any other expense in your HTPC hobby that this same logic could not be extended to also? If you should be comfortable spending whatever on storage because you've already invested a lot more in the content then shouldn't you be just as comfortable spending whatever on your display, your HTPC, your AV receiver, your speakers, and on and on?

Not really, no other cost/component in your HTPC is directly related to your media. It doesn't matter how many BDs you have, it only requires One BD player to watch them.

If you have 10 BDs it requires a lot less storage to hold them than if you have 100 BDs. Every BD you buy has, if you want them stored "online" a storage cost associated with them.
Quote:
4) Now that you've rationalized spending without limits on every other aspect of your HTPC hobby, go back to step 1.

No one is rationalizing spending without limits, but you have to put things in perspective. Universal remotes are much the same way. I've balk at spending $100 on a good universal remote that can significantly improve the ease of use of a system after spending several thousand on the rest of the equipment.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is online now  
post #41 of 241 Old 03-22-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 838
3000GB / $100 I agree with ^

But when I factor that average rip MKV is 25GB I don't get that cost for storage. I get this:

3000GB divided by 25GB per movie = 120 movies. So 120 movies for $100 cost is not $1.50 a movie. It's really more like $0.80 cents a movie. Not sure it's a huge deal but to some it might be. I'm personally OK with spending $.080 to store a movie in full quality. A DVD or TV show or a lower quality movie is going to be cheaper because the size is smaller. You can also encode the 25GB to say 8GB and save space (but lose more quality) - so the cost per movie is a moving target but the cost per storage TB is more stable and constant. Everyone pays about the same for a hard drive.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #42 of 241 Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

3000GB / $100 I agree with ^

But when I factor that average rip MKV is 25GB I don't get that cost for storage. I get this:

3000GB divided by 25GB per movie = 120 movies. So 120 movies for $100 cost is not $1.50 a movie.

Please read what I posted.



I used 50GB per disk. What I didn't say is that I used that because that is the absolute maximum size a movie can be, and thus that is the absolute greatest it could cost, a "worst case" scenario, which is something good to use if you're planning a budget or making a plan.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is online now  
post #43 of 241 Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm at about 20TB, all DVD/BR rips. If I stay with 3TB drives I reckon I have enough space for about 2 years more purchases ~ 54TB (20x2.72TB). I'll make the decision as to what to do then whether to build another server or add an expander and DAS case. It will probably be the first as I have many of the parts needed already.

I keep all my data, personal info and photos on my WSPC and distributed backups.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #44 of 241 Old 03-24-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,561
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'm already set on the guts and sata cards.

I really just need the chassis. I'm not inclined to go with junk though. I'd like something equal or better than what I have now. I always have a fear of used equipment or cheap stuff.

I think these are a nifty choice if I reach that point http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B004WNLQ5E?tag=adapas02-20
Mfusick likes this.
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #45 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

But what most here mean when they say it's cheap, they're talking incremental cost. And it's just a fact that incremental cost of storage is miniscule compared to the cost of media. Just as an example, say you buy a new release on Blu-ray. That's going to run about $20, and be about say 50GB. Storage is about $0.03/GB today ($100/3000GB), so that means the storage for one Blu-ray cost at most, $1.50.

What I would say to your budget argument is, if you want to store your movies digitally, surely you can budget to save $1.50 each time you spend $20 on a movie.

True enough (if you're paying full price for everything). But I don't think this is how people actually buy storage for their HTPC. Seems to me that for most people, once they move their collection "online" and realize the advantages of easier organization / navigation / selection then they start acquiring a lot of content they probably never would have before (when it would have meant flipping through binders and binders of disks to decide what to watch) and then have a hard time ever deleting stuff. Because storage is cheap! Go buy more capacity, go acquire more content. Wash, rinse, repeat. This whole thread we've got people talking about having umpteen TB of capacity already and it's never enough. That's insane. Nobody can watch that many movies in their lifetime. But cheap storage is the enabler.

What I would actually suggest for folks is to do your math backwards. If you're going to go buy another hard drive, figure the cost of the content you're going to fill it with. Because sure enough you will fill it so that's what you're really buying. Then figure does that total cost actually make sense relative to the collection you have already? If not, start purging before you go buy more capacity.
ElJimador is online now  
post #46 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

True enough (if you're paying full price for everything). But I don't think this is how people actually buy storage for their HTPC. Seems to me that for most people, once they move their collection "online" and realize the advantages of easier organization / navigation / selection then they start acquiring a lot of content they probably never would have before (when it would have meant flipping through binders and binders of disks to decide what to watch) and then have a hard time ever deleting stuff. Because storage is cheap! Go buy more capacity, go acquire more content. Wash, rinse, repeat. This whole thread we've got people talking about having umpteen TB of capacity already and it's never enough. That's insane. Nobody can watch that many movies in their lifetime. But cheap storage is the enabler.

I don't know about everyone else, but that's absolutely not what I do. In fact since Netflix my media growth has slowed considerably. Before Netflix I would buy just about any movie I thought was worth watching, but now I only buy the ones I know I really want, or ones I can't get through Netflix.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is online now  
post #47 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
mcturkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Nobody can watch that many movies in their lifetime. But cheap storage is the enabler.

Let's go with a simple 10GB per hour of BR-quality video. 10TB of movies is then equal to 1000 hours of video, or roughly 500 movies. Assuming an average of only one movie every other day, that's about 3 years for an individual to watch 10TB of movies. I don't know about you, but I've been alive a lot longer than 3 years, and rather hope I'm alive a lot more than another 3 years.

The above math is pretty conservative in the assumptions. It ignores eventual storage increases due to higher resolutions, television show storage and watching, higher average viewing rates, and the fact that multiple family members may watch different movies at different times, meaning that the average hours/week of video being served up is not 7 (per the above example), but 20-30 or more. In that case, 10TB of storage would be exhausted in 1 year if there were no repeat viewings during that time.

You bring up the idea that people should delete things after they're done watching them. People who do that are not the sort who are going to be using storage like this. The entire point of having your whole catalog online is to have it all available whenever you decide to watch it, without having to sort through binders of discs or stacks/rows/boxes of DVD cases. I switched to the HTPC/server format when my DVD/BR collection grew to an unmanageable size, and I could no longer keep up with either having enough physical space or keeping the movies organized. If you watch once and then never again, why even buy the movie in the first place? Why not just rent from Netflix/Amazon/Redbox/Google?

I honestly don't know why you're posting in this thread, because you are using questionable logic, false math, and outlandish assumptions to backup your arguments.
Mfusick and techmattr like this.
mcturkey is offline  
post #48 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
MrZoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I recently started playing around with Storage Pools on Server 2012 R2. Works just fine if you're streaming to one device. Start trying to stream to a few? Not so much.

I have four 3 TB drives, five 2 TB drives, and one 1.5 TB drive. I would have a second 1.5 TB drive, but I broke the sATA connector when installing it.

I have the pool configured as a parity set, with just a smidge over 19 TBs provisioned.

The great part about Storage Pools is that I can add additional drives, and remove old ones.

I'm currently using over 10 TBs of that pool at the moment, but a lot of that is 7 day backups of my data from a different mirrored set.

Let's say that 4 TB drives drop drastically in price to +/- $100. I can buy a few, add them, and if run out of sATA ports, I can start removing/replacing the smaller drives. Grows/shrinks as I need it to.

Mr Zoid
Mfusick likes this.

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
MrZoid is online now  
post #49 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
EricN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,211
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Every discussion about media servers splits into two camps. For one group, the cost of the media dominates the cost of the storage. For the other group, the cost of the storage is the largest expense.

These groups won't ever see eye-to-eye, and it's pretty obvious why.
EricN is online now  
post #50 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
davidtt485's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The coast of Media should not be included because if you want to own it, you'll have to "pay" for it either way, the cost of the media is a given. Excluding rental Services.
davidtt485 is offline  
post #51 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I don't know about everyone else, but that's absolutely not what I do. In fact since Netflix my media growth has slowed considerably. Before Netflix I would buy just about any movie I thought was worth watching, but now I only buy the ones I know I really want, or ones I can't get through Netflix.

Well maybe there are more people like you than I suspect. Just seems like if that was the case there wouldn't be much discussion here since people w/multi TBs of storage already would rarely need to expand that capacity.
ElJimador is online now  
post #52 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Let's go with a simple 10GB per hour of BR-quality video. 10TB of movies is then equal to 1000 hours of video, or roughly 500 movies. Assuming an average of only one movie every other day, that's about 3 years for an individual to watch 10TB of movies. I don't know about you, but I've been alive a lot longer than 3 years....

10TB is a pittance compared to what most people in this thread are talking about. We've got people rocking 20+ hard drive Norco's talking about still needing more storage and how much is ever enough? Then figure you own the movies and shows you do (most of them I assume) because of their replay value and will watch them multiple times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

You bring up the idea that people should delete things after they're done watching them.

No I didn't say that. I said people with large collections already should consider deleting stuff before they go out and buy more capacity just because it's "cheap". Because if you know you're going to fill that capacity then it's not really cheap and if you're holding on to movies and shows that you can realize now that you're not likely to watch again (whatever your thought was when you acquired them) then why not at least think about clearing strorage space that way instead of always buying more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

I honestly don't know why you're posting in this thread, because you are using questionable logic, false math, and outlandish assumptions to backup your arguments.

I'm posting here because I think it's a good topic for discussion and I enjoy sharing my opinions on it and hearing others' views as well. And my argument is perfectly reasonable, you just don't agree with it. Which is fine.
ElJimador is online now  
post #53 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajhieb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

No I didn't say that. I said people with large collections already should consider deleting stuff before they go out and buy more capacity just because it's "cheap". Because if you know you're going to fill that capacity then it's not really cheap and if you're holding on to movies and shows that you can realize now that you're not likely to watch again (whatever your thought was when you acquired them) then why not at least think about clearing strorage space that way instead of always buying more?

Delete things? Clearly you're missing the whole point. For most people they're only doing this to try and one-up their buddy, and basically compete with NetFlix.

"Hey, so I just gone done watching the last season of Dexter on NetFlix..."

"Big deal! I have that on my media server. Plus I have Knight Rider. The whole series. It's just sitting there waiting to be watched and loved again."

"You know, Knight Rider was awful, right?"

"Well, yeah... but I have the whole series."

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
ajhieb is online now  
post #54 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
techmattr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Delete things? Clearly you're missing the whole point. For most people they're only doing this to try and one-up their buddy, and basically compete with NetFlix.

"Hey, so I just gone done watching the last season of Dexter on NetFlix..."

"Big deal! I have that on my media server. Plus I have Knight Rider. The whole series. It's just sitting there waiting to be watched and loved again."

"You know, Knight Rider was awful, right?"

"Well, yeah... but I have the whole series."

I think most people here don't find Netflix to be of acceptable quality. So yes it's completely reasonable to try and "compete" with Netflix. It's the reason I keep so much media. Will I ever watch everything I own? Probably not. But I'd rather flip through my own vast high quality library looking for something that catches my eye than be subject to the horrific quality provided by streaming services.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
techmattr is offline  
post #55 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajhieb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

I think most people here don't find Netflix to be of acceptable quality. So yes it's completely reasonable to try and "compete" with Netflix. It's the reason I keep so much media. Will I ever watch everything I own? Probably not. But I'd rather flip through my own vast high quality library looking for something that catches my eye than be subject to the horrific quality provided by streaming services.

Don't get me wrong... I'm in the same boat. I make fun of it, but I'm just as guilty as anybody else.

Hell, I've been known to go through my media collect, not find anything interesting, scan through the WMC guide, have the epiphany "Ooooh Road House is on!" go back to my media collection and start watching Road House (but with fewer commercial, better one-liners and more boobs)

So believe me, I understand the compulsion to hoard media content on your server. And while there is a convenience factor in not having to get up and put a disc in, I firmly believe a significant portion of the huge storage server population does it, at least partially so they can show it off to their friends. Just my speculation of course.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
ajhieb is online now  
post #56 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Delete things? Clearly you're missing the whole point. For most people they're only doing this to try and one-up their buddy, and basically compete with NetFlix.

"Hey, so I just gone done watching the last season of Dexter on NetFlix..."

"Big deal! I have that on my media server. Plus I have Knight Rider. The whole series. It's just sitting there waiting to be watched and loved again."

"You know, Knight Rider was awful, right?"

"Well, yeah... but I have the whole series."

LOL. Exactly! For me personally it's movies that are harder to delete, and I probably won't start doing so until I really need the space. But it's the same thing. You get that collector's mentality to want to hold on to everything even if you know you're never going to watch it again. So I'm not downplaying how hard it is to break that mindset. It's hard for me too. I just think it's healthier and a lot more affordable over the long haul to realize - just as you do w/clothes and everything else - that tastes change and it's okay to let go. Like for me, I remember being excited about Weird Science coming out on bluray then it hit me: wait a minute, I'm well into my 40s now and already have multiple John Hughes movies, none of which I have watched since I was still more worried about zits than mortgage payments. But for nostalgia's sake or whatever reason you want it anyway.
ElJimador is online now  
post #57 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

3000GB / $100 I agree with ^

But when I factor that average rip MKV is 25GB I don't get that cost for storage. I get this:

3000GB divided by 25GB per movie = 120 movies. So 120 movies for $100 cost is not $1.50 a movie. It's really more like $0.80 cents a movie. Not sure it's a huge deal but to some it might be. I'm personally OK with spending $.080 to store a movie in full quality. A DVD or TV show or a lower quality movie is going to be cheaper because the size is smaller. You can also encode the 25GB to say 8GB and save space (but lose more quality) - so the cost per movie is a moving target but the cost per storage TB is more stable and constant. Everyone pays about the same for a hard drive.



Do you know the difference between $0.80 per movie and $0.80 cents per movie and $.080 per movie? You should get your numbers straight when you trying to correct others for their wrong numbers.wink.gif

Do you have any idea of how much time you have spent learning how to get the content on your storage media and following through to a working system?

Do you have any idea about the total amount of time you have used "to process" your content for use on your storage media?

What % of the stored content do you actually watch?
J_Palmer_Cass is offline  
post #58 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
techmattr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Don't get me wrong... I'm in the same boat. I make fun of it, but I'm just as guilty as anybody else.

Hell, I've been known to go through my media collect, not find anything interesting, scan through the WMC guide, have the epiphany "Ooooh Road House is on!" go back to my media collection and start watching Road House (but with fewer commercial, better one-liners and more boobs)

So believe me, I understand the compulsion to hoard media content on your server. And while there is a convenience factor in not having to get up and put a disc in, I firmly believe a significant portion of the huge storage server population does it, at least partially so they can show it off to their friends. Just my speculation of course.

Yeah I was just saying that there IS some logic behind the decision to create a high quality library. We aren't all just crazy hoarders. biggrin.gif
Combine the appreciation for higher quality media with the passion for tech hobbies and you get massive servers.... that's what we have here. smile.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
techmattr is offline  
post #59 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
techmattr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I think these are a nifty choice if I reach that point http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B004WNLQ5E?tag=adapas02-20

If that was screwless it would be a thing of beauty. Those trays ruin it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
techmattr is offline  
post #60 of 241 Old 03-25-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Delete things? Clearly you're missing the whole point. For most people they're only doing this to try and one-up their buddy, and basically compete with NetFlix.

"Hey, so I just gone done watching the last season of Dexter on NetFlix..."

"Big deal! I have that on my media server. Plus I have Knight Rider. The whole series. It's just sitting there waiting to be watched and loved again."

"You know, Knight Rider was awful, right?"

"Well, yeah... but I have the whole series."

I get your point but I struggle with understanding exactly who is going to go buy something and then dedicate any serious amount of server space to media they don't like ? That's just not making sense to me. I buy stuff I like. I keep stuff I like. I dedicate server space to stuff I like and want to keep. I could easily go get Knightrider I guess - but I don't. Why ? Because I don't want it. Your point seems solid until that part then it just falls apart. I am not competing with netflix, I am trying to create a better experience for myself personally. I only share my media with my brother and parents, I have no interest in impressing other people. If anything I downplay it because most don't understand and think I am crazy. But I have friends that spend way more on far stupider hobbies so each their own I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

Yeah I was just saying that there IS some logic behind the decision to create a high quality library. We aren't all just crazy hoarders. biggrin.gif
Combine the appreciation for higher quality media with the passion for tech hobbies and you get massive servers.... that's what we have here. smile.gif

Well said. I'm starting a dedicated theater build soon. My theater is going to be new construction and 32 feet by 23 feet wide - with a huge screen, dedicated wet bar, candy counter, etc. I'll probably buy a couple 42" or 46" LCD just to use as a digitial now playing movie poster going the up and down direction. At the scale of my project a media server doesn't seem excessive at all- and the core functionality it provides and the experience it allows seems un-replaceable. I think people just view things from different positions. I don't expect the guy with a 50" LCD and a NUC stuck to the back of it to playback his torrents and stream netflix to understand my motivation. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

It's odd I get such different replies. I started this threading just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I have, where as time goes by you just need/want more and more storage. Seems like many are in the same boat, but then there is a whole group that wants to argue against a large level of storage. I actually appreciate their responses and view points but I wish they expressed it from their own perspective rather than forcing their perspective on others or criticizing those others for having a good amount of storage. It almost seems like they are jealous or something- which just totally erodes any credibility to what they are trying to say.

I'd appreciate the guy who stands up and says honestly that he streams most of his stuff, and usually does not watch the same thing more than once anyways so there is no point in saving it or storing it. I also suspect there is a lot of people that download a compressed torrent to watch then delete as well. They don't understand the storage. But for the guys with a good amount of full quality BR rips and 1080p material they seems to understand the amount of space it takes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

If that was screwless it would be a thing of beauty. Those trays ruin it.

For $399 I can buy a Norco 4224 chassis... There's not value there for me. neat and cool yes. But it seems expensive.

Anyone ever stacked a second server case above an existing one and just ran SAS8087 cables to it ? Any reason that won't work ? I really just need 4 more bays I think, I regret not getting the 24 bay chassis instead of the 20 now.

I could always use my desktop for some too. It can hold 14 HDD's and I have plenty of PSU and stuff... I could always move a dynamic collection like TV shows to my desktop and save myself some space.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off