NAS Disk failures - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Over the 3-4 months I've been having problems with hard drives failing in my BSD variant NAS.  It's always the same thing, sectors start to go bad on a disk for a couple of days, then the next time I power down the NAS I can almost be guaranteed that the drive will no longer be detected.  The count is now up to three drives.  All of them were matching Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm drives with barely one year of service on them.  Has anyone had problems like this with desktop grade drives?  Are yall not bothering with desktop grade drives and using enterprise instead?  What drives are yall using?  I'm going to be ordering parts for a new NAS so I can destroy this one with a sledge hammer (seemed therapeutic in Office Space) but I want some long term reliability.  Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I know there are plenty of people who don't have problems with BSD-based NAS... but I had a lot of stability problems with NAS4Free. Went with a Solaris based ZFS NAS and couldn't be happier.

Plus, my Seagate Barracuda 7200 drives seem to fail right about at the 1 year, and the 2 year mark. Their reliability isn't what it used to be.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 AM

Liked: 17

Had similar experience with the 7200.11 line of Seagates.. Had probably about 5-6 of them go bad due to bad sectors in a timespan of 18 months. Running 8x3TB Seagates now in unRAID, smooth sailing so far. 

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page