2014 Plex versus MB3 Media Browser 3-which one is the best? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer-Plex or MB3?
Plex 25 25.00%
Media Browser 3 56 56.00%
Other 19 19.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 174 Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33

I'm going to use MB3 server with XBMC + XBMB3C addon as client. Best combo IMO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 174 Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Plex is not popular here it seems. Look at the poll results.
post #63 of 174 Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Plex is not popular here it seems. Look at the poll results.

It's popular. Just not as beloved as mb3 project.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #64 of 174 Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use plex mainly on my ipad since it allows offline sync through the app. Very useful when traveling.

Other than that on my htpc I use MB3 only.
post #65 of 174 Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

I use plex mainly on my ipad since it allows offline sync through the app. Very useful when traveling.

Other than that on my htpc I use MB3 only.

Same here smile.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #66 of 174 Old 06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor View Post

I had the opposite problem as you guys, I hated PLEX exposing everything via open ports.  Ever opened your resource monitor and looked at all the open PLEX TCP connections?  Call me paranoid, but I never understood why that many connections were necessary when nothing is going on.  I prefer to VPN for everything, and with MB3 I have a lot more granular control over that stuff, whereas with PLEX it required a "myplex" account to connect properly.

None of those matter as they are internal. The only external port plex uses is 32400 unless you manually reassign it

Myplex is hosted on AWS which is a big win in my book, since I can share it around with others and not have them poke "directly" into an open port on my lan

There is a convenient way to run a tunneling-VPN at home for security that still allows VNC connections and myplex to publish no matter who your VPN provider. I don't know of any way to accomplish that with MB3 server just yet, so the only thing you could do would use your own home VPN. That is not the kind of security I'm looking for, because it only replaces wifi security abroad with your internet security at home. I personally don't trust a bare connection at my home any more than I trust 4g or open wifi, so for me Plex is the clear winner on security since it's easier to use with paid tunnel-vpn services
post #67 of 174 Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

None of those matter as they are internal. The only external port plex uses is 32400 unless you manually reassign it

Myplex is hosted on AWS which is a big win in my book, since I can share it around with others and not have them poke "directly" into an open port on my lan

There is a convenient way to run a tunneling-VPN at home for security that still allows VNC connections and myplex to publish no matter who your VPN provider. I don't know of any way to accomplish that with MB3 server just yet, so the only thing you could do would use your own home VPN. That is not the kind of security I'm looking for, because it only replaces wifi security abroad with your internet security at home. I personally don't trust a bare connection at my home any more than I trust 4g or open wifi, so for me Plex is the clear winner on security since it's easier to use with paid tunnel-vpn services

I think we're concerned about two separate things. You mention paid service vpns, the only point of those is obfuscating your internet usage.  I'm not concerned about that, I'm concerned about how information in my network can be accessed.  I'm not saying plex is unsafe, I'm just saying that I prefer to have no external port opened on my network.  In order to get to my MB3 I have to connect with an encrypted openVPN connection.

I don't care if anyone sees me sending encrypted data to/from my network.

post #68 of 174 Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you theoretically only have media on your media server then what does it matter if people see anything? Or you have an open port? Does it matter?

I'm cautious with personal info like SS#'s or banking info or passwords- but what on a media server is troublesome ? Or am I missing something ? It seems easy enough to lock away important stuff on another machine, behind FW, and even better offline unless you are active on it. I would't keep that stuff on my media server that runs 24/7 with open ports.

-

post #69 of 174 Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I like for my media server to run plex and do stuff I want tunneled behind a vpn like hma, privatvpn, pia, etc

Substitute Plex for MB3, I don't really mind as long as I can get it around the tunnel. I already know how to do this with plex, but I'm not sure how to do it whenever I need to get back to a public.ip:port type address rather than my.plexapp.com resolved into my local ip. Not that it can't be done, but I don't know how to do one yet already do the other

Also, as long as neither plex or mb3 run with elevated privileges, there is little to worry over

Similar to port 25 being open and not firewalled (whether or not you know it's usually open) . . . if somebody hit a port scan on your public ip they would be limited on what can be executed across that port without some PEBKAC type of help (disabling UAC or allowing anything to bypass it). With 32400 or 8096 for example, you would be very limited on commands that can be executed within MB3 or Plex unless their services give root privileges in user space without user knowledge (i.e. the way iphones gave new "fonts" root privilege until iOS6, allowing an easy "custom font" jailbreak where the exploit was hidden in the exact maximum filesize iOS allocated for fonts)
post #70 of 174 Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I was asking what's the harm in having movies on a movie server that's not totally under lock and key ? Someone steals your movies? People do that all the time online already.

-

post #71 of 174 Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I guess I was asking what's the harm in having movies on a movie server that's not totally under lock and key ? Someone steals your movies? People do that all the time online already.

Maybe it's just me, but I doubt most people are using a dedicated file server just for their media. As an example, my media server is on Server 2012r2 Essentials, so it's the same machine as all of my device backups, plus any other files I want stored - all of my data these days is either on the server or on Onedrive. If someone was able to exploit the server for deeper access than what Plex or MB3 give, that'd be a problem.
StinDaWg likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #72 of 174 Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 193
it sounds like the next frontier in the MPAA/RIAA's war on piracy - hack media servers, stream movies, and slap the the owner of the IP address with a copyright infringement lawsuit smile.gif
StinDaWg likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #73 of 174 Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

it sounds like the next frontier in the MPAA/RIAA's war on piracy - hack media servers, stream movies, and slap the the owner of the IP address with a copyright infringement lawsuit smile.gif

This would be more illegal than stealing a movie cool.gif

-

post #74 of 174 Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Until they buy a law that gives them immunity for hacking in the name of copyright protection.
StinDaWg and morganf like this.
post #75 of 174 Old 06-06-2014, 06:31 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

If you theoretically only have media on your media server then what does it matter if people see anything? Or you have an open port? Does it matter?

I'm cautious with personal info like SS#'s or banking info or passwords- but what on a media server is troublesome ? Or am I missing something ? It seems easy enough to lock away important stuff on another machine, behind FW, and even better offline unless you are active on it. I would't keep that stuff on my media server that runs 24/7 with open ports.

I have a lot of different media/sensitive information on my server.  I spent a decent amount of money on something more powerful that I could run 24/7 and be a single machine solution as, in the long run, it's cheaper and more power efficient.  I have taxes and such on the same server, however they are restricted via NTFS permissions (the account that runs a specific service has no access to any files it doesn't need).  There's no kill like overkill when it comes to layers of security, though I'm probably much more over the top than I need to admittedly be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I like for my media server to run plex and do stuff I want tunneled behind a vpn like hma, privatvpn, pia, etc

Substitute Plex for MB3, I don't really mind as long as I can get it around the tunnel. I already know how to do this with plex, but I'm not sure how to do it whenever I need to get back to a public.ip:port type address rather than my.plexapp.com resolved into my local ip. Not that it can't be done, but I don't know how to do one yet already do the other

Also, as long as neither plex or mb3 run with elevated privileges, there is little to worry over

Similar to port 25 being open and not firewalled (whether or not you know it's usually open) . . . if somebody hit a port scan on your public ip they would be limited on what can be executed across that port without some PEBKAC type of help (disabling UAC or allowing anything to bypass it). With 32400 or 8096 for example, you would be very limited on commands that can be executed within MB3 or Plex unless their services give root privileges in user space without user knowledge (i.e. the way iphones gave new "fonts" root privilege until iOS6, allowing an easy "custom font" jailbreak where the exploit was hidden in the exact maximum filesize iOS allocated for fonts)

I run separate VMs for separate purposes.  If I wanted to torrent on something like PIA I would set aside a VM that only has write permissions to a specific folder and read permissions to no other folders.  You could do the same with file permissions but I find there'd be little reason not to stack this VM with various antivirus softwares that I might not want on my main system (along with something such as peerblock or whatever it's called now).  As I stated earlier in this thread, I'm not so much concerned about my movies and such, it's more of a "what happens if myplex is hacked?" Most hackings don't target the end user, they target the system server, such as when getting credit cards people are more likely to go after a bank than Joe Bob's computer on the off chance he has some information on there.  Note that this is different than viruses, which proliferate on their own and ARE likely to target end users and prey on their lack of knowledge when browsing.

Can you add folders via myplex?  Just curious, it's been a while since I've used it (.9.8 or something along those lines).  If somehow your myplex account was compromised and you can add folders with "media" in them I don't see why someone couldn't just add whatever folders they wanted with whatever information they wanted unless they were somehow restricted in their access.  I realize this is something that will probably never happen, but it's something that would wear on my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I doubt most people are using a dedicated file server just for their media. As an example, my media server is on Server 2012r2 Essentials, so it's the same machine as all of my device backups, plus any other files I want stored - all of my data these days is either on the server or on Onedrive. If someone was able to exploit the server for deeper access than what Plex or MB3 give, that'd be a problem.

This, I'm in a similar situation.  Easier for me to just restrict internet access completely to MB3 incoming and restrict file access to nothing but media folders (read only) then allow myself to do remote access via a private, encrypted VPN setup on my router (same as I access anything else).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

They could do that, or if that account has write permissions there might be some way for them to delete your entire library.  Again, ramblings of someone paranoid who has been in IT long enough to know that there are many ways to get something if a dedicated mind decides they want something.

post #76 of 174 Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I run separate VMs for separate purposes. If I wanted to torrent on something like PIA I would set aside a VM that only has write permissions to a specific folder and read permissions to no other folders. You could do the same with file permissions but I find there'd be little reason not to stack this VM with various antivirus softwares that I might not want on my main system (along with something such as peerblock or whatever it's called now)
I used to run all this in a separate VM with shared drive access (vmware's shared folder feature) because I couldn't get Plex working from behind a vpn client app. That was before mb3 was even an option for that sort of thing. Things are easier to manage under one OS imo
Quote:

Can you add folders via myplex? Just curious, it's been a while since I've used it (.9.8 or something along those lines). If somehow your myplex account was compromised and you can add folders with "media" in them I don't see why someone couldn't just add whatever folders they wanted with whatever information they wanted unless they were somehow restricted in their access
I think I see what you are getting at, but you can only add local folders to the machine hosting the plex server or share a different plex server with it. Sharing won't copy files across to the other local machine, and to use the "add folder" on the host server as a way to trojan in an exploit would only work if the host server already had the exploit and you already knew where it was (and the less likely option that it would be executable from within a media or metadata file during playback or scrape)
post #77 of 174 Old 06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

How do you check this?
post #78 of 174 Old 06-10-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, new question.

I just installed Plex server yesterday. I have not used it b4 (been using MB3 for the past 5 months). I then installed Plex theater on my sis's Win 8 machine.

There does not seem to be any way to change views on the client side, at least, I can't fins anything. She has to scroll and scroll through every movie to find the one she wants. This can't be right.

With MB3 I can search by movie name or folder. I can even display titles by genre. Is this possible with Plex? I would like to put her movies in a seperate folder so she doesn't have to wade through mine.

I've been to the Plex web site, but there really isn't much there in the way of instructions or tutorials, that I could find. This is one area where MB3 seemingly runs circles around Plex. I hope I'm wrong.
post #79 of 174 Old 06-11-2014, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you thought about plexbmc for xbmc?

Better way to browse them, and gives you back the customisation of alternate media players... Although, it's not a straight forward setup
post #80 of 174 Old 06-11-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Other candidate that may satisfy your requirements is JRiver. No Roku app though, but JRiver does support DLNA.
The problem with Plex is lack of live TV and DVR functionality. No Netflix either.

I don't watch live TV and I hate Netflix.

I never heard of MB3 till I opened this thread but I've been loving plex lately... MB3 really looks very similar..
post #81 of 174 Old 06-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Found out that Plex doesn't have boxsets, whereas MB3 will automatically organize them by lookup from TMDB and can assign images to sets. If you don't need to share libraries over Internet, I'm finding less reason to use Plex now.
post #82 of 174 Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The auto box sets in mb3 is pretty awesome. You are right.

-

post #83 of 174 Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer 

I think we're concerned about two separate things. You mention paid service vpns, the only point of those is obfuscating your internet usage.  I'm not concerned about that, I'm concerned about how information in my network can be accessed.  I'm not saying plex is unsafe, I'm just saying that I prefer to have no external port opened on my network.  In order to get to my MB3 I have to connect with an encrypted openVPN connection.

I don't care if anyone sees me sending encrypted data to/from my network.
I solely use Plex. As I mentioned in a storage thread, I do full Blu-rays to mkvs and also encode a 1080p AppleTV3 compatible m4v. As you can guess Plexconnect is a huge reason I use Plex. I also like the iPad offline sync. Much better than managing through iTunes.

Port 32400 does not need to be open for Plex to work. My network is completely locked down. I use OpenVPN and allow the OpenVPN subnet in Plex (allow network without authentication). This way my iPad and other devices can still connect when out of the office by using VPN.

I was always hesitant to open ports and a couple months back there was a vulnerability for Plex, which confirmed my concerns.
post #84 of 174 Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm using both - Plex mainly for the kids with a locked down library on Roku clients, but on the same server (WHS2011), I'm running MB3 with MB3 Classic in 7MC on my main HTPC. Honestly, MB3 blows Plex away in most respects. It's coming along in leaps and bounds, and has some very advanced features already. I started using the Reports function last night, and heck, that's a powerful tool in itself. Yep, definitely loving MB3 now.
post #85 of 174 Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post
I'm using both - Plex mainly for the kids with a locked down library on Roku clients, but on the same server (WHS2011), I'm running MB3 with MB3 Classic in 7MC on my main HTPC. Honestly, MB3 blows Plex away in most respects. It's coming along in leaps and bounds, and has some very advanced features already. I started using the Reports function last night, and heck, that's a powerful tool in itself. Yep, definitely loving MB3 now.
I'm waiting on MB3 to support Sync before I try it. Sync in Plex saves me a lot of trouble getting my children's media on a tablet before a road trip.

post #86 of 174 Old 06-12-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I'm waiting on MB3 to support Sync before I try it. Sync in Plex saves me a lot of trouble getting my children's media on a tablet before a road trip.
I've got MB3 Server and Plex Server installed on the same computer. It's not like they interfere with each other. I use MCM for metadata, though.

Plex Sync saves me a lot of trouble getting my mom's soaps and other TV shows on her tablet before a road trip.
post #87 of 174 Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I've got MyMovies and Plex on my media server. Just not in a big hurry to add a third media program.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

post #88 of 174 Old 06-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I also use both Media Browser 3 and Plex. For home, the Media Browser 3 Classic interface cannot be beat, IMHO. Fast, reliable and attractive. I use Roku3s on my other TVs in the house and, while it is not as easy to use or as pretty as MBC, it looks fine and works very well.

I also run Plex solely for sharing media with family and watching remotely. Very nice to have my entire collection available to me on the go via my Ipad or when I use the Roku Plex app. Bought my Mom and my Brother Roku3s so they can watch my collection from their homes. This feature is simply amazing and works very well.

Shan
post #89 of 174 Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've recently started my parents using mb3 on roku instead of plex (at their house) and they like it better.
post #90 of 174 Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I've recently started my parents using mb3 on roku instead of plex (at their house) and they like it better.
What did you have to do to get it working outside your home network? Just yesterday I got Plex to connect through my VPN, but I had to forward some ports in our router. Without a VPN, Plex connects with a simple click.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page