2014 Plex versus MB3 Media Browser 3-which one is the best? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer-Plex or MB3?
Plex 56 33.53%
Media Browser 3 82 49.10%
Other 29 17.37%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #121 of 251 Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Plex no. Mb3 yes. Just put them in different folders. One for one version and another folder for the other version. Then create two logins. For one login only show one half and one version, and the other login show the other. If you want to switch from one version to the other just swap logins. It's two buttons and under 2 seconds to do.

One of the ways mb is better than plex right there ^
You can add more libraries, and use a folder structure to separate them out. I do this, as I have some SD and HD movies (which are in their own folders). I also have a second account setup for the kids so they only get to see the kids movies. I've seen Plex group films together when you have two copies of the same film, but i've never checked how it handles them for playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 251 Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Plex no. Mb3 yes. Just put them in different folders. One for one version and another folder for the other version. Then create two logins. For one login only show one half and one version, and the other login show the other. If you want to switch from one version to the other just swap logins. It's two buttons and under 2 seconds to do.

One of the ways mb is better than plex right there ^
I fail to see how that's better compared to Plex's implementation.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...Version-Movies
post #123 of 251 Old 06-29-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
By design the CPU should be close to 100% while transcoding regardless, so that is not a good way to tell.
Plex worked this way up until about a year ago
post #124 of 251 Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I fail to see how that's better compared to Plex's implementation.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...Version-Movies
MediaBrowser can handle multiples the same way with the new server release as PLEX and these solutions are great but MB3 still has an advantage IMO in how it organizes libraries.

With MB you can create a user profile for "mobile" and another user profile for "HTPC" Let's just assume we name each user profile that for simplicity. Let's also assume you have an "admin" user profile too. You set up the mobile user profile to only show the mobile versions or whatver libraries you want included. You then set the HTPC user profile to only show the high quality stuff and not the libraries for mobile. Then your main admin user account shows everthing. That way on your phone you only browse the media optimized for mobile- if you really wanted to play something from one of the other libraries you just swap over to the admin account. But as a default only the libraries you want to show would so you don't have to worry about duplicates, or which file version you want to play- or have to take the time to decide and click that.

Same on the HTPC. You don't have to worry about accidentally playing the lower quality version or put any extra effort into double checking, or making a choice which version to play. If you are only browsing the full quality libraries you have no duplicates and no worries.

Either machine can swap over to the admin account and see them all if for some reason you wanted that too. It's two clicks and 2 seconds to change a profile.

MB server really is more advanced than PLEX in these areas. There is just a ton more set up options and you can even customize them for different people. For instance, my wife doesn't like horror movies so her profile I don't show those. I don't like trashy reality TV and my wife does so I don't show her TV shows in my profile. MB server also handle the traditional folder structure and nested folders and collections and box sets. So organizationally things are a lot neater while browsing your library. I have sub sections for certain things with a top level menu to enter them and this really can clean up a big library. Example: I have like 40 football movies because I am a football fan but I don't need all 40 showing in my movies library so I have folder with custom art that says "football movies" and inside it has all the football movies I have (Rudy, Any given Sunday, etc... etc.. ) So the effect is I can enter a mini football movie section from the main library but if I am not in the mood to watch something like that I only pass by a single movie folder for that category instead of passing by 40 movies.

It might sound silly but with a big library this is really a nice feature. Big box sets or certain types of movies can easily be categorized together. The box set plugins for MB3 do it automatically actually. You don't even have to move movies around or do it yourself. Just dump everything into a single folder lazy man style and the plug in will automatically create and group box sets. So for those different than me that do not want to take the time to really fine tune the presentation they can rely on the box set plugin to do all the heavy lifting so they can get a lot of the same benefits without any effort. MB3 wins either way in this area depending what type of person you are.

Plex doesn't handle nested folders and collections well.

Another area that is somewhat related is how MB3 handles grouping. MB3 totally kicks PLEX ass at this too. I can have a bunch of libraries and they get combined together or they don't and it's all handled at the top level library as a key set up feature of MB3. For example let's say I have a few movie categories: BLURAY RIPS, HD MOVIES, DVD MOVIES. I can go into any of those media libraries and see only those so if I go into the BLUERAY RIPS library I know every movie I am looking at is a BR rip. But I can also click on "movies" instead of navigating directly into the BR rips folder and in this case MB3 shows me all my movies. It will group DVD rips with BR rips and also group HD movies. So now when I click "movies" I am browsing every movie in my library. But if I want to only group certain movies I can do that too. And again you can customize what shows up on each user profile too. PLEX sucks at this. The PLEX server is mostly ignorant.

PLEX is great because it works. It's simplicity is appreciated by a lot of folks. But as soon as you try to fine tune your experience or improve and optimize it you realize MB3 just craps right in PLEX's mouth. It's no contest at all. Depending on what kind of experience you want and the things you value someone might find more value in one or the other. Both are great and have their strong points. But MB3 has advanced to the point it's beyond plex in it's abilities and most of that is due to the differences between PLEX server and MB3 server. MB3 server is really very powerful. There is also a focus right now on making it simple and keeping it simple. I think they are doing a good job walking that tightrope. Everyone loves advanced features and functionality, but no one wants a complicated set up process or hassle setting it up and using it. One of the things I really appreciate is how MB3 approaches this. Since I run the beta or developer builds I see the new features hit - but it's really refreshing to see how they get tweaked and improved and made easier to use and more simple in subsequent releases before it hit's official release. MB team constantly tries to tweak features to make them easier to use and the result is over time the project has really improved. Even from the start of this thread to today things are a lot different (better).
sd_smoker likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #125 of 251 Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
You set it up to use your static ip address at your home and port 8096 which must be opened in your router. I also set them to use 720p @ 1Mbps even though my internet service has 5Mbps up to allow for overhead and additional connections.
Sammy, are you talking aboutMB for Roku when you're talking about setting the remote bitrate?
My brother is using MB Theater on his desktop, and he can't find any way to set the bitrate.
And unlike Plex server, MB3 Server also does not appear to have any way to set the bitrate.

It sucks, because he can't use MB Theater due to this issue. Although I have 4Mbps up, he's getting far too much stuttering. And we have it set up to bypass my VPN. Even if I completely disconnect from my VPN, it still stutters.

With Plex, there does not appear to be any way to bypass my VPN, short of disconnecting from it, due to Plex connecting through their servers. But when I do disconnect, Plex plays without stuttering.
post #126 of 251 Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

4mbps up won't run full quality 1080p well at all. You should raise this issue to Luke and the MB team but I suspect that the theater project and product is designed for optimal quality locally on an HTPC.

If you PM me I will give you some little birdie told me advice. There is an immediate solution, and there is a pending solution. Both are good too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #127 of 251 Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
4mbps up won't run full quality 1080p well at all. You should raise this issue to Luke and the MB team but I suspect that the theater project and product is designed for optimal quality locally on an HTPC.

If that were true, why would they give Theater the ability to login remotely?
post #128 of 251 Old 07-01-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually I asked and like said it's coming ...
post #129 of 251 Old 07-01-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
If that were true, why would they give Theater the ability to login remotely?
Connection speeds with greater than 4Mbps upload do exist. Heck, I've occasionally gotten 25Mbps over Verizon and AT&T LTE (although actually using that for streaming will be pricey).
post #130 of 251 Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Connection speeds with greater than 4Mbps upload do exist. Heck, I've occasionally gotten 25Mbps over Verizon and AT&T LTE (although actually using that for streaming will be pricey).
I don't think you got what I was talking about. I was referring to MY upload speed, not any limit to MB Theater's connection speed. I'm only getting 4 up because I'm only paying for 4 up.

Thanks Mfusick. I'm going to try that with my brother as soon as we both have time, at the same time!

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!
post #131 of 251 Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I mentioned this on the MB3 forum but I'll say it again.

It seems every NAS device, (Synology, ReadyNas) the ones that I've used both have Plex support. I think this is a big win for Plex since you don't need to run another system to stream your NAS contents. I've been a long time supporter for MB, I've installed Plex a few times but always seem to forget about it because MBS is my daily drivers. I've had to jump through hoops to get things to work smoothly for the family who wants to watch my contents so I'll be installing Plex again soon for some real comparison. I think if someone can take what's available from MBS and provide a NAS solution, I think it'll open up some serious competition for Plex and there's no reason why anyone else should even consider Plex as an alternative option.

I know it's easier said than done but I'm still keeping my hopes high for MB
post #132 of 251 Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All NAS make lame media servers.

-

post #133 of 251 Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
All NAS make lame media servers.
Do you have amnesia?

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #134 of 251 Old 07-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Do you have amnesia?
LOL he hasn't seen a NAS that's more powerful than all of most people household computers combined.
post #135 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalpython View Post
That is one bit I agree on...

XBMC is solo, no doubt about it. You can export/backup if I remember right, but it's not as good as having a central area for it all.
This is not accurate at all. You can setup a MySQL server on a windows machine and it keeps all resume points in one location.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MySQL
You have to create an advancesettings.xml that points to the sql database on the client machines. My current setup is a primary windows machine that I have running WMC as a tv dvr wtih serverWMC. This machine I run XBMC on for my main application and only use WMC for the DVR. I then have two Amazon Fire TVs that run xbmc identically to the main htpc with the advantage of having all the android apps available from both the FTV store and google play store (I rooted and added this). I can run full rips without transcoding with DTS and AC3 (hopefully dts-hd will be gained as android moves to Android L). So to recap I have live tv/recorded tv, all of the eye candy that xbmc brings including the ability to personally customize the UI with my own images. I have all music, movies, games (rcb is awesome on AFTV), pictures and access to all android apps.

The only thing that I run Plex for is when I go on the road and have a need for remote connection. I don't even keep it currently on my htpc as it is overhead. I just load it up the week before I leave.
post #136 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHTPC View Post
This is not accurate at all. You can setup a MySQL server on a windows machine and it keeps all resume points in one location.
You have to create an advancesettings.xml that points to the sql database on the client machines. My current setup is a primary windows machine that I have running WMC as a tv dvr wtih serverWMC. This machine I run XBMC on for my main application and only use WMC for the DVR. I then have two Amazon Fire TVs that run xbmc identically to the main htpc with the advantage of having all the android apps available from both the FTV store and google play store (I rooted and added this). I can run full rips without transcoding with DTS and AC3 (hopefully dts-hd will be gained as android moves to Android L). So to recap I have live tv/recorded tv, all of the eye candy that xbmc brings including the ability to personally customize the UI with my own images. I have all music, movies, games (rcb is awesome on AFTV), pictures and access to all android apps.

The only thing that I run Plex for is when I go on the road and have a need for remote connection. I don't even keep it currently on my htpc as it is overhead. I just load it up the week before I leave.
If XBMC had this in the copy that people download from their website then I would agree. I'm sure it works fine for you. I had tried this awhile back and it wasn't nearly as easy as MB server which is far more than a mysql server.
post #137 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I have heard something like this before, but not actually tried it. Fair play
post #138 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol - it's not very much overhead when you aren't using it. Go grab plex's xbmc nfo importer from their forums, and it will do very little in the background other than read nfos to keep your library updated. Also disable the various loggings in Plex and your C drive won't mysteriously add 10+20+100GB etc from the plex folder.

I have a very similar setup with plex being utilized for remote access

I like the firetv for an android box and I think it's the most powerful version currently available, but I don't think it can handle vc1 blu-rays from what I've read in the xbmc forums. Not sure if that's SoC or libstagefright dependent
post #139 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Lol - it's not very much overhead when you aren't using it. Go grab plex's xbmc nfo importer from their forums, and it will do very little in the background other than read nfos to keep your library updated. Also disable the various loggings in Plex and your C drive won't mysteriously add 10+20+100GB etc from the plex folder.

I have a very similar setup with plex being utilized for remote access

I like the firetv for an android box and I think it's the most powerful version currently available, but I don't think it can handle vc1 blu-rays from what I've read in the xbmc forums. Not sure if that's SoC or libstagefright dependent
You are correct vc-1 is a limitation and I believe it is soc so there may not be an option. Fortunately I think I had 2 vc-1 disks in my collection as it is not a common video codec. I will take a look at the nfo importer.

I wasn't trying to be rude in how I posted earlier, but rereading my comment I think I was. What I am trying to convey is that you can use my sql and yes it is a user add on, I agree it would be nice off there was some ui functionality for this. Overall though this is what I like about xbmc is that the user can fully customize xbmc to their liking.
post #140 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 467
For those interested...

Behind the App: The Story of Plex

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #141 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
For those interested...

Behind the App: The Story of Plex
Interesting, but they don't get into the details as much as I would have thought

From http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...nd_derivatives
Quote:
On 21 May 2008, XBMC developer Elan Feingold forked the source code of XBMC and started a new project called Plex, (previously this Mac OS X port of XBMC was informally known as the "OSXBMC" project). Feingold said that he would still try to collaborate with most Team-XBMC members behind the scenes and at least try to keep Plex skinning engine compatible with XBMC skins. While Plex began as a free software hobby project, since 2010 it is commercial software, and today parts of what Plex offers is closed source proprietary software. The Linux, Macintosh, and Windows servers and clients are free, while their Android and iOS clients cost money.
Feingold was the Team-XBMC member who first initiated the Mac OS X port of XBMC, but soon after he left the original XBMC project due to what was arguably a falling-out with rest of Team-XBMC's developer members over the team's majorities feeling that the XBMC project should aim for strict adherence to the GPL and always keep to an open-source software mindset. This disagreement is claimed to be one of the main factors that led Elan to leave the XBMC project and create the Plex fork.
There's also this
post #142 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MB story > PLEX. The MB guys are just cooler. Better people. Nicer. The tone at the MB forums is the nicest I've encountered, the forum itself and it's core community is far more inviting than the core PLEX or XBMC or this forum. They have an interesting story too, how come no one does an article on them ? lol...

They've also accomplished twice as much in half the time. A year from now they'll take over the world at this pace

-

post #143 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
MB story > PLEX

They've also accomplished twice as much in half the time. A year from now they'll take over the world at this pace
The main complaint I have against MB is the general lack of knowledge their major fanboys exhibit
steelman1991, ajhieb and morganf like this.
post #144 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

lol. Well played.

I'm not a super fanboy, you'll notice I had a lot of good to say about PLEX in this thread, and I'm a user (even paid plexpass user) but what I said is 100% true. I entered this thread actually defending PLEX BTW... but if it comes down to friendliness of the programmers PLEX has no chance. The MB3 guys are just great people. They deserve a "MB3 story" for sure...

-

post #145 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Still much more knowledgable than the droves of Apple fanboyism prevalent on today's comment sections

Aryn Ravenlocke and morganf like this.
post #146 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

lol ^ I missed the apple stuff. I use apple but I'm not fanboy. If their stock crashed tomorrow and all their devices exploded I'd laugh and buy a Samsung. I'm really indifferent on that war. I use apple, I like my iphone and ipad. But I like the android too, I really don't care. It's like a car, I just drive it. I could care less about my car.. I have a mazda CX5 now (those kids!) it's nice enough. But honestly I could care less as long as it fits the car seats. I had like 20 people tell me about 20 things about cars, and it was like white noise. I cared about like 2 things. Although I do like how Mazda drives compared to others (honda, toyota, Nissan, Honda, ford etc.. ) It's like a poor mans BMW Anyways the point is you could swap my car out for a comparable other I'd probably not even notice.

Apple is reliable though. That matters in most scoring competitions. I've had little trouble with my phone, and I dropped it like 200 times, broke about 15 screens. I finally bought a case ... All is good. For PC's I'm not sure I understand the attraction though... I mean they make decent stuff but the fanaticism is just cult like. I like my windows. I'm getting easier going about all this stuff as I age and use it all back to back. I used to care about my front end, now I like them all. I used to care about what brand I used for parts, now I don't. I like good deals and I like good performance. That's really all I care about.

PLEX vs MB. I don't have a dog in the fight. Or, they are both my dogs and I don't want them to fight. If I had to choose, well then it's MB3. But MB3 being awesome doesn't make plex any less awesome.

-

post #147 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
If XBMC had this in the copy that people download from their website then I would agree. I'm sure it works fine for you. I had tried this awhile back and it wasn't nearly as easy as MB server which is far more than a mysql server.

It's why some of us go with MB3 to be the server and then use XBMB3C to act as the front end. You get all the spiffiness of XBMC with the server capabilities of MB3. It's absolutley more user-friendly, but it does take up more overhead and resources. Adjusting XBMC is easy once you get used to how to do it, but it's not always entirely intuitive how to make adjustments.
post #148 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 221
2014 Plex versus MB3 Media Browser 3-which one is the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
It's why some of us go with MB3 to be the server and then use XBMB3C to act as the front end. You get all the spiffiness of XBMC with the server capabilities of MB3. It's absolutley more user-friendly, but it does take up more overhead and resources. Adjusting XBMC is easy once you get used to how to do it, but it's not always entirely intuitive how to make adjustments.

This is what I do as well.

This, coupled with the Android and iOS MediaBrowser mobile clients; and I'm covered wherever I am: whether in front of the TV/Projector or on the road. Their Roku client is apparently stellar as well (though I haven't tried it myself).

MediaBrowser is absolutely amazing: especially considering how new the MB3 project actually is. Also a huge fan of their community and dev team as a whole.
Mfusick likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #149 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
This is what I do as well.

This, coupled with the Android and iOS MediaBrowser mobile clients; and I'm covered wherever I am: whether in front of the TV/Projector or on the road. Their Roku client is apparently stellar as well (though I haven't tried it myself).

MediaBrowser is absolutely amazing: especially considering how new the MB3 project actually is. Also a huge fan of their community and dev team as a whole.
So far the only thing I have come across that Plex has that MB3 doesn't (at least not yet) is The Daily Show Channel. I might be lazy, but I'm not so lazy that I can't go to my PC and navigate to The Daily Show's site. I have no doubt that eventually someone with far more technical know-how than I will ever possess will create and launch a MB3 channel for the show similar to the one Plex has.

The devs over there have their hands full already though, what with MBT coming along the way it is.
post #150 of 251 Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
So far the only thing I have come across that Plex has that MB3 doesn't (at least not yet) is The Daily Show Channel. I might be lazy, but I'm not so lazy that I can't go to my PC and navigate to The Daily Show's site. I have no doubt that eventually someone with far more technical know-how than I will ever possess will create and launch a MB3 channel for the show similar to the one Plex has.

The devs over there have their hands full already though, what with MBT coming along the way it is.
plex does have viable clients for quite a few more platforms. Until MB3 releases a full OSX or Linux living room client, it won't be an option for me. Which is unfortunate, especially since I've been looking for an alternative to Plex that meets my needs. I just haven't found one yet

Before anyone asks, I don't allow Windows on my home network for a laundry list of reasons. I'm not an apple fanboy, but I do use OSX because it's the most well-supported and full-featured desktop *nix available. I get that a ton of people use Windows and I'm glad they do... it keeps security guys like me in business . But, any product that doesn't fully support a more stable and less vulnerable OS isn't one I can entertain.

Here's hoping MB3 sees the light and brings the rest of us into the fold. I'd love to check it out.
Reply Home Theater Computers