2014 Plex versus MB3 Media Browser 3-which one is the best? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer-Plex or MB3?
Plex 42 30.43%
Media Browser 3 72 52.17%
Other 24 17.39%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #151 of 233 Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjoshuad View Post
plex does have viable clients for quite a few more platforms. Until MB3 releases a full OSX or Linux living room client, it won't be an option for me. Which is unfortunate, especially since I've been looking for an alternative to Plex that meets my needs. I just haven't found one yet

Before anyone asks, I don't allow Windows on my home network for a laundry list of reasons. I'm not an apple fanboy, but I do use OSX because it's the most well-supported and full-featured desktop *nix available. I get that a ton of people use Windows and I'm glad they do... it keeps security guys like me in business . But, any product that doesn't fully support a more stable and less vulnerable OS isn't one I can entertain.

Here's hoping MB3 sees the light and brings the rest of us into the fold. I'd love to check it out.
XBMC has a full Linux version available. You could use XBMC as your Linux connection. Then, in XBMC use the XBMB3C plugin, which tells XBMC that Media Browser is really in charge. That's exactly how I plan to go if I can ever figure out how to use Linux.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 233 Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
XBMC has a full Linux version available. You could use XBMC as your Linux connection. Then, in XBMC use the XBMB3C plugin, which tells XBMC that Media Browser is really in charge. That's exactly how I plan to go if I can ever figure out how to use Linux.
That's a solid idea. I might play around with it some this weekend. Hopefully that works as well as Plex HT does. Hopefully even better
post #153 of 233 Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
That's a solid idea. I might play around with it some this weekend. Hopefully that works as well as Plex HT does. Hopefully even better
I cannot speak for how well it works in Linux, but in Windows it works nicely indeed. Given how far along XBMC has come over the years, I can't imagine that the Linux experience would be anything lesser in this case.
post #154 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
plex does have viable clients for quite a few more platforms. Until MB3 releases a full OSX or Linux living room client, it won't be an option for me. Which is unfortunate, especially since I've been looking for an alternative to Plex that meets my needs. I just haven't found one yet

Before anyone asks, I don't allow Windows on my home network for a laundry list of reasons. I'm not an apple fanboy, but I do use OSX because it's the most well-supported and full-featured desktop *nix available. I get that a ton of people use Windows and I'm glad they do... it keeps security guys like me in business . But, any product that doesn't fully support a more stable and less vulnerable OS isn't one I can entertain.

Here's hoping MB3 sees the light and brings the rest of us into the fold. I'd love to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Happy I looked in this thread today...

Like djjoshuad, nothing media related in my household runs on windows...

So, for me, it doesn't stop at the MB3 Linux client... the MB3 server has to be Linux based as well... or at least have a FreeNAS plugin or be installable in a FreeBSD jail or in a Synology NAS (or the likes of it)... just to mention a few examples...

The XBMB3C plugin sounds a wonderful idea, no doubt, but no windows based server for me...

IMO, if we set aside the eye candy, when MB3 reaches this point as stated, then it becomes an apple to apple comparison with Plex...

I hope I haven't unintentionally started a Windows server vs Linux Server debate, so anyone looking in that direction will be going off track, I am only stating my opinion with regards to Plex and MB3
post #155 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Wow, plex didn't have a freebsd port for a bunch of years. I actually didn't realize they have one at all

MB3 already has at least an alpha or beta Linux server for Debian and Fedora
kreeturez likes this.
post #156 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Wow, plex didn't have a freebsd port for a bunch of years. I actually didn't realize they have one at all

MB3 already has at least an alpha or beta Linux server for Debian and Fedora
Now, that's what I'm talking about...

Significantly awesome... I will search around a bit... and thanks for the info...

Looks like another fun weekend in the making...
post #157 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

post #158 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Just had a quick look...

Seems they still have some distance to cover... but also goes without saying that they're really starting to close the gap...

The real competition with Plex will begin as soon as they start providing rpm and deb packages so people can install without having to compile from source...

I can already sense the excitement...
post #159 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys. Just got done reading every post.

I'm planning to build a i5 server this year and I want the ability to be able to transcode. For someone who uses both, is Plex still the best choice when it comes to sharing your library with your family/friends?

I'm planning to share my library with about 4-5 people outside of home. My internet upload speed is 75mbps. Every device in my house will be able to play my video files natively through gigabit lan without transcoding. All my files will be ripped from my bluray movies with makemkv so there won't be any encoding. Will the i5 4690k have enough power to transcoded at most 4-5 movies at the same time?

Is the quality and performance between Plex and MB that much of a difference when it comes to transcoding? I'm currently leaning towards MB because of the eye candy but if it's a pain for my library to be shared with my friends/family, I'll stick to Plex.

Edit: user profiles are also important to me.
post #160 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Mb3 would get my vote. I have my parents hooked up to mine on their ROKU and they like it better than plex.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #161 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 155
2014 Plex versus MB3 Media Browser 3-which one is the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Mb3 would get my vote. I have my parents hooked up to mine on their ROKU and they like it better than plex.

Another MB vote.

The only catch is the person sharing the library would need to set up a free No-IP account (or a DynDNS one) to give you a static host name to which they connect.
It's simple to do, but it is one extra step for MB.

Man, last week's MB Server release has an overhaul to the web interface that just plain looks fantastic.
Mfusick and Aryn Ravenlocke like this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #162 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The web interface for mb3 doesn't get enough love at all. It's freakin amazing! There's actually a lot of little things with MB3 that I don't think most people realize how good it is. It's usually 100% about the front end. But if you excluded the front end in the comparisons MB3 starts slaying the others with a flaming sword.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #163 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 155
2014 Plex versus MB3 Media Browser 3-which one is the best?

Quote:
The web interface for mb3 doesn't get enough love at all. It's freakin amazing! There's actually a lot of little things with MB3 that I don't think most people realize how good it is. It's usually 100% about the front end. But if you excluded the front end in the comparisons MB3 starts slaying the others with a flaming sword.

Absolutely.

And since no client-side installations are required whatsoever for the Web UI, it's usually the very first thing I use if I'm on someone else's iPad/PC/Mac and want to hit a video from my library.

Of course for TV use, then the Roku with MB is probably as user-friendly as it gets.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 07-31-2014 at 03:39 PM.
post #164 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Hopefully this weekend I'll find time to check it out for myself, but in all honestly as long as Media Browser stays a primarily one-platform solution, it's more of a joke than a real contender. Nothing can be slain with any type of sword if the product can't even enter the battlefield.
post #165 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not sure if serious^ ??

You call dedicated apps for roku, ipad, iphone, android, kindle, linux, windows, windows phone, etc... what ?

-

post #166 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Not sure if serious^ ??

You call dedicated apps for roku, ipad, iphone, android, kindle, linux, windows, windows phone, etc... what ?
there is no client for linux. The tablet/phone app segment isn't what I'm talking about, either - those aren't the true measure of a home theater application. This is the "Home Theater Computers" forum, after all... ipads, iphones, rokus, and android devices aren't the same thing as Home Theater Computers. The two things that matter most are the server and the home theater client. There is only one currently supported platform for the server (although two others are in beta, which is promising) and there is only one platform supported for the full home theater client.
post #167 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a linux app, you just don't have access to the developer area to know about it. It's due very soon I understand what you are saying and I agree a linux app is good, and fortunately so does the MB developers. This won't be a reason to hate on MB much longer...

-

post #168 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
There is a linux app, you just don't have access to the developer area to know about it. It's due very soon I understand what you are saying and I agree a linux app is good, and fortunately so does the MB developers. This won't be a reason to hate on MB much longer...
You can't honestly expect me (or really anyone else) to know about or consider something that isn't available to the public... anyway I'm not hating on anything, honestly. I'd love for MB3 to become a viable solution. It's just not there yet. It's not a fair comparison to Plex or many of the other products out there, at least not in its current state.
post #169 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/ind...-linux-server/

Darkslayer posted this link earlier.

But more is coming. You won't get left out in the cold. I run windows home server so it's less priority for me.

-

post #170 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
http://mediabrowser.tv/community/ind...-linux-server/

Darkslayer posted this link earlier.

But more is coming. You won't get left out in the cold. I run windows home server so it's less priority for me.
that's the server piece, which I did know about - they have a "linux" link (and an "OSX" one) on their public downloads page. Of course neither is an actual download link... but they do take you to the beta information. That's good news.

Is there a linux or OSX *client* coming, that you know of?
post #171 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
that's the server piece, which I did know about - they have a "linux" link (and an "OSX" one) on their public downloads page. Of course neither is an actual download link... but they do take you to the beta information. That's good news.
And the information page to which you are taken contains download links for the server.

Quote:
Is there a linux or OSX *client* coming, that you know of?
As mentioned above there is a plugin for XBMC that runs on OSX and linux.

Purely speculation on my part but I think it's highly unlikely that there is a native OSX or linux client outside of the XBMC plug-in as the number of people who insist on running their home theater on OSX or linux without some form of XBMC edit: or jriver is laughably small.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.

Last edited by ajhieb; 07-31-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #172 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
And the information page to which you are taken contains download links for the server.
yes, it does. My point was that it's a beta, not a release.

Quote:
As mentioned above there is a plugin for XBMC that runs on OSX and linux.

Purely speculation on my part but I think it's highly unlikely that there is a native OSX or linux client outside of the XBMC plug-in as the number of people who insist on running their home theater on OSX or linux without some form of XBMC edit: or jriver is laughably small.
right, I haven't forgotten about that. But, requiring a wholly separate (and individually viable without MB3) home theater application to be its client is at best a hack. I disagree that we are a laughably small group. And it's not a matter of "insist[ing] on running their home theater on OSX or linux." Just because I'm not willing to accept a non-standards-compliant and inherently flawed and vulnerable operating system doesn't make me some sort of rebel. I insist that my computers are stable, compliant, and secure. You should, too.

When a software company makes the conscious decision to develop a non-portable application, they choose to exclude a segment of their potential audience. I will never understand that philosophy when it's done intentionally. I don't know if MB3 was developed to be portable or not... but even if it was, I disagree with the idea of bringing one port to release well ahead of others. If the application is portable, then port it to more than one platform from the get-go, and give others the ability to port to edge cases if they choose. That strategy works well for *tons* of software today. MB3 going a different direction throws up some red flags for me. It's at least a little bit confusing.
post #173 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yes, it does. My point was that it's a beta, not a release.
And my point was you should try it before you condemn it.

Quote:
right, I haven't forgotten about that. But, requiring a wholly separate (and individually viable without MB3) home theater application to be its client is at best a hack. I disagree that we are a laughably small group. And it's not a matter of "insist[ing] on running their home theater on OSX or linux." Just because I'm not willing to accept a non-standards-compliant and inherently flawed and vulnerable operating system doesn't make me some sort of rebel. I insist that my computers are stable, compliant, and secure. You should, too.

I should run whatever damn OS I want, based on whatever criteria I want. There is no perfect solution, if there was everyone would be using it. There is no one-size-fits-all, otherwise somebody would already be getting rich doing it. Life is full of compromises and our computers are no exception. Your choice decision to run an OS that is totally secure and inherently unflawed is 2 things... 1) just your decision (based on your standards) and 2) completely delusional, as every OS has vulnerabilities and every OS is flawed. If you think OSX and whatever flavor of linux you're running at home are invulnerable, I weep for your security clients. But once we've established that all OSes are insecure to some extent, then the question becomes what level of insecurity are you willing to live with in order to get the features and functionality that you're looking for?

Personally, I can live with the risk of running a Windows OS for a few reasons... 1) I don't keep any information worth stealing on my computers at home, 2) I take reasonable precautions to make sure the PCs themselves aren't accessible from the big bad internet, and 3) I avoid activities that would endanger my computers and the information contained therein. Could my home computer system survive an all out assault from someone(s) with enough resources targeting me specifically? Probably not. My home probably couldn't survive an asteroid collision either, and the likelihood of either is pretty slim, and not worth me worrying about. That's why I'm okay using Windows, and that's why I'm okay not living in an underground bunker.

But the point is you've made a choice. There is nothing tangible preventing you from using MB3. This isn't some corporate environment where somebody sent down the edict that no one could run Windows. Windows isn't going to break anything else in your environment. It's unlikely that there is any hardware comparability issue to prevent you from running Windows... bootcamp that cute little mac of yours, and you're off and running. You can't run MB3 because you've chosen not to. It was a decision that you made.

The irony here of course is that one of the biggest complaints you'll find about Microsoft on these forums is that they followed the standard for handling broadcast content, instead of ignoring it like other platforms which ended up resulting in the infamous 29/59 issue.

Quote:
When a software company makes the conscious decision to develop a non-portable application, they choose to exclude a segment of their potential audience. I will never understand that philosophy when it's done intentionally. I don't know if MB3 was developed to be portable or not... but even if it was, I disagree with the idea of bringing one port to release well ahead of others. If the application is portable, then port it to more than one platform from the get-go, and give others the ability to port to edge cases if they choose. That strategy works well for *tons* of software today. MB3 going a different direction throws up some red flags for me. It's at least a little bit confusing.
Well, if you know better in regards to how to develop such an app, make it portable and then release everything all at once, I suggest you get busy coding as there appears to be a very tiny niche (despite your claims to the contrary) to fill. In regards to how things are working with MB3, it looks to me like their strategy is working just fine. Fortunately for the rest of us, your understanding of their business model isn't a prerequisite for them releasing some fantastic software. It really is great. Too bad you're missing out. :/ But remember... their decision not to release an OSX client isn't preventing you from running MB3. Your decision not to use any supported platforms is.

Oh and one last thing...

You might be an Apple fanboy if...

...you make unfounded claims about how secure your OS is.
...you throw out meaningless statements about following standards.
...you boldly claim how you don't allow Windows machines on your home network.
...you ever say, "I'm not an Apple fanboy, but..."

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #174 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought that android was the most rapidly security threat and apple is second, and surprisingly windows has improved while the others have worsened.

I'd think a security guy would know how to protect himself too.

Personally there isn't any personal info on my media server at all. What's worse case someone hacks me and and watches my movie ? There's easier ways to steal movies online anyways. I don't see the big deal. It's not like I do financial transaction on my media server. Crap I don't even use the browser or surf the web on it. I'd imagine HTPC is much the same for most (mine is)

I'm constantly reinstalling or upgrading but I don't do anything with it other than HTPC. That's why it dedicated HTPC. Not web surfing or online purchasing I don't have a keyboard or mouse on either my HTPC or server actually.

My desktop is behind a firewall, a VPN and a double network. I don't forward ports or any of that. If you are smart you are somewhat safe. I'm just a bad target anyways, I'm PC literate and poor. Lol.

-

post #175 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
And my point was you should try it before you condemn it.

I should run whatever damn OS I want, based on whatever criteria I want.

... the rest of the overly-aggressive response removed ...
calm down, big fella. I never told you what to choose. Just that you should want stability, security, and compliance with standards. Those are important things for any computer to have, and there are lots and lots of options out there if you want that. You don't have to have those things, though. That's fine with me, I really don't care.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of it... when you jumped to name-calling, you lost my interest.
post #176 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I thought that android was the most rapidly security threat and apple is second, and surprisingly windows has improved while the others have worsened.
android is the most rapidly-expanding platform, period. When something's footprint increases, so does its target value and potential for compromise. That's just how things work. But, android itself isn't the security issue. The biggest one is people "rooting" their devices, thus bypassing much of the inherent protections they were getting. Having full, unfettered access to a device is preferrable for an expert but very dangerous for a novice. Second to that is the lack of controls on app installation. Android gets compromised most commonly in the same way windows does - people install something that contains malicious bits. The proliferation of handheld devices that do cool things has resulted in people wanting to find easier, cheaper, faster ways to do those cool things. In some ways that's exactly what the world needs... but in other ways it is also a problem. Joe Blow off the street find a youtube video (as an example) that shows him how to do some cool thing... and he does... and now his device is compromised. If you strip the bars, the doors, and even the walls off of the vault in the name of a better view... well... you no longer have a vault.

Quote:
I'd think a security guy would know how to protect himself too.
I definitely do. A big part of that is avoiding known attack vectors.

Quote:
Personally there isn't any personal info on my media server at all. What's worse case someone hacks me and and watches my movie ? There's easier ways to steal movies online anyways. I don't see the big deal. It's not like I do financial transaction on my media server. Crap I don't even use the browser or surf the web on it. I'd imagine HTPC is much the same for most (mine is)
it's not always about stealing your personal info. In fact, that's probably the least of a hacker's concern. If you were running a high-profile business or if you had a high net worth, then you're likely to be targeted. Otherwise there is a long list of other things an attacker (likely an automated one, not a person) could do with your computer and your network. Your personal info is just a nice-to-have, if it happens.

Quote:
I'm constantly reinstalling or upgrading but I don't do anything with it other than HTPC. That's why it dedicated HTPC. Not web surfing or online purchasing I don't have a keyboard or mouse on either my HTPC or server actually.
reinstalling and upgrading definitely do not defeat many types of malware. The majority of compromises don't come from web surfing.

Quote:
My desktop is behind a firewall, a VPN and a double network. I don't forward ports or any of that. If you are smart you are somewhat safe. I'm just a bad target anyways, I'm PC literate and poor. Lol.
unfortunately unless you have the time and skill set to properly configure and truly monitor your firewall, it won't protect you from much. A basic off-the-shelf wifi router will offer the same level of protection as a poorly-configured firewall... perhaps even more. Which is to say not much at all.

You have to remember that old movie quote "it's coming from inside the house!" It directly applies to computer security. Generally when a computer or device is compromised, it's not from the outside. Quite the opposite. And once they're in... they're behind your firewall and any other outer layer of protection you have. And you probably won't ever know it. At least not until it's too late.

The best malware hides itself very well. Some types will spread out to any USB or other attached devices you have, install itself on your MBR, and intercept any attempts to remove it. That type of malware exists for nearly every platform, but there are many things about how windows works that make its job a lot easier, and make finding it a lot harder. Not to mention the fact that there is just more of it out there that windows is vulnerable to.

Anyway this is all WAY off topic. I don't need to defend my choice of OS any more than anyone else does. My point was just that any piece of software that aligns itself with only one OS is making a bad decision. It's not necessary to do that. It's poor practice... if they supported only OSX I'd say the same thing.

Last edited by djjoshuad; 07-31-2014 at 10:24 PM.
post #177 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess it's a good thing they don't only align themselves with only one OS then isn't it?

post #178 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing they don't only align themselves with only one OS then isn't it?
They only have the two most important parts available in release form for one OS. They have betas for one piece to support two more OS, but apparently there are no plans for a full client for anything but windows. So yes, I say they are aligning themselves with just one OS. The rest is an afterthought at best, and isn't released yet anyway. Developing the server piece for linux and OSX is a good start, but without a full client... what's the point? an HTPC needs a full client, no?
post #179 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My desktop is behind a firewall, a VPN and a double network. I don't forward ports or any of that.
WHS attempts to automatically forward 3 ports for you during setup. Plex will add another and MB3 at least one more

Some random seeker hitting your public ip for a port scan is (like djjoshuad mentioned) typically the least of your problems. The common insertion vector these days is man in the middle where you hit the mb3 downloads page, think your are getting what you requested, turns out it wasn't exactly what you wanted, you let it pass through uac (since you know you want to install it), and none of the external walls you've built to that point matter any longer

In other news most of the "malware, insecure, vulnerabilities, omg, run for cover" android apks thus far have sent random text messages or device id info somewhere. The big problem of that isn't that people have their phones rooted, but it's the amount of things that can be executed from your user space (non-root) with the permissions you are allowed to grant. Also the permission control center (where you could reject certain permissions) was rejected/removed/etc from kitkat. While that would have helped, what would help more are increased granularity in permissions. Way too many apps need to read device call status, mostly so they can pause/resume for you on a call. They need a separate non-call-metadata-exposing permission for that sole purpose
ajhieb likes this.
post #180 of 233 Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They only have the two most important parts available in release form for one OS. They have betas for one piece to support two more OS, but apparently there are no plans for a full client for anything but windows. So yes, I say they are aligning themselves with just one OS. The rest is an afterthought at best, and isn't released yet anyway. Developing the server piece for linux and OSX is a good start, but without a full client... what's the point? an HTPC needs a full client, no?
No. No it doesn't. You may prefer it, but it certainly isn't necessary.

Prior to moving to a client/server model, the previous incarnation of MediaBrowser existed only as a plugin, not as a full client, and it worked quite well.

That said, the fact that they are planning on releasing an OSX and linux server is proof positive that they are aligning themselves with multiple OSes. The fact that they already have clients out for Android and IOS is proof positive that they are aligning themselves with multiple OSes. Your continued insistence to the contrary completely ignores what they are actively working on and what they've already released. Just because something hasn't been released in it's final form doesn't mean it's being ignored.

I don't know what is so difficult for you to understand. The project originated as a plugin for WMC. (That's Windows Media Center if you aren't familiar) and it seems painfully obvious to me that a group that had already been releasing software for Windows Media Center would likely start with something familiar like a Windows server and Windows client before moving into other platforms that aren't Windows. Furthermore considering the demand for mobile content it seems pretty straightforward that an Android and IOS client would be next.

But I know if I was trying to get my product used by as many people as possible, as quickly as possible, I'd release things like Roku apps and XBMC plugins long before I'd even think about a native linux client. Heck, I probably would be working on a Synology and QNAP server before I'd spend any time on a full blown linux client. (especially if they could take advantage of hardware transcoding available on a lot of the NAS boxes that Plex won't do)

The point is, linux/OSX users aren't being ignored. In fact since many of the people who are using linux/OSX for thier HTPC are already running XBMC, I'd argue they've already been addressed for the most part.

Last edited by ajhieb; 07-31-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Making the post more cuddly and lovable
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page