WMC Extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I built my first HTPC recently and now have HD home Dual tuner working over the air. I want to add a couple of media center extenders to go into the garage and another into the bed room. Doing a search, there doesn't seem to be much out there people are happy with. I do have a couple of slightly older PC's though. Could I just hook these up to the network and my tv's?

Thanks,
Bruce

I always seem to know just enough to get into trouble !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacffin View Post

Hi Everyone,

I built my first HTPC recently and now have HD home Dual tuner working over the air. I want to add a couple of media center extenders to go into the garage and another into the bed room. Doing a search, there doesn't seem to be much out there people are happy with. I do have a couple of slightly older PC's though. Could I just hook these up to the network and my tv's?

Thanks,
Bruce

Multiple PCs can access the tuners on the HD Homerun, but they do not act as true extenders (i.e., shared EPG and recordings, using the same tuner simultaneously, etc.). If all you care about is live TV and DVR, the Xbox 360 is a true WMC extender and works great.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 429
These are your options:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center_Extender#Version_2_Extenders

Many people, including me, are happy with both options that are currently being produced. I have 4 of the current non-Xbox extenders that work very well for live and recorded TV. I personally would rather not put a PC or Xbox in a bedroom or garage. Garages can get dirty and aren't temperature controlled. And bedrooms should have as little ambient noise as possible.

Although I prefer extenders, I also use several PC to access all my recordings and live tuners. Luckily none of my content is copy protected, so I don't have any problems.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Happy owner of a Linksys DMA2100 and a 360 here.
slowbiscuit likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Multiple PCs can access the tuners on the HD Homerun, but they do not act as true extenders (i.e., shared EPG and recordings, using the same tuner simultaneously, etc.).

Just to flush this out a little... you can access (OTA) recordings via the WMC server (per se) using another PC. Even active recordings with one minor issue. You can only view up to the point the recording was at when you first start viewing. However you can restart and continue viewing from there. Another option is OpenELEC/XBMC as it acts as a very nice extender. The interface isn't quite a slick but more than usable.

post #6 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have another wrinkle to my system though. I have a Slingbox located on the other side of the state that I want to access my cable box with and I am having a bugger of a time trying to find an app or a way to add this to WMC directly. If I can find a way to launch this through WMC, I just need extenders. If not, I am leaning to add separate computers to both rooms. Right now my basic requirements are OTA, DVR and the Slingbox. So, my situation is a little different here.

I should also note, I had a blast building my first htpc and wouldn't mind building a couple more if I had to smile.gif (Last resort of course)

I don't know anything about WMC Server, but I'll check it out.

Thanks Again,

Bruce

post #7 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All you need for that is Remote Potato or MB3. There is no need for Slingbox at all. And please tell me you don't really have any cable boxes. There's no need for those either.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2014, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

All you need for that is Remote Potato or MB3. There is no need for Slingbox at all. And please tell me you don't really have any cable boxes. There's no need for those either.

I'm sorry, I am not following here. I am new at this. I do have cable at the other house and use the slingbox to watch those channels here. I have not heard of remote potato, but will look into it.

Thanks

post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm lost too. How many houses do you have,which ones have cable, which have OTA and which have HTPCs? If you have an HTPC, you don't need cable boxes or slingboxes. It takes the place of the cable box and has software that lets you watch remotely like a slingbox does. If you have no HTPC at this other house, then you'll just continue using your slingbox as you do today. If you're wanting to watch your slingbox on an extender, then you can't do that. You'll need a PC or sling catcher for that.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-29-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I'm lost too. How many houses do you have,which ones have cable, which have OTA and which have HTPCs? If you have an HTPC, you don't need cable boxes or slingboxes. It takes the place of the cable box and has software that lets you watch remotely like a slingbox does. If you have no HTPC at this other house, then you'll just continue using your slingbox as you do today. If you're wanting to watch your slingbox on an extender, then you can't do that. You'll need a PC or sling catcher for that.

Okay, Sorry for the confusion. Let me explain my ultimate goal where I'm sure that will help. There are two houses. House one has cable only and that is where the slingbox is located. House two has the HTPC with OTA reception only. I want house two, to receive the slingbox reception in more than one room running through windows media center. This is where I am running into some problems.

The other thing I would like to do is record from the slingbox in house one, into the HTPC-WMC at house two. There are 2 issues I can think of. One is can I get slingbox into WMC?, and two, can I record a slingbox feed? My gut tells me I cannot do either. I really do not want to pay for cable at 2 locations. I watch a lot of sports on cable and the kids watch a ton of shows on cable too. Recording is big here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time with me,
Bruce

post #11 of 12 Old 03-30-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I can't think of any way to do what you're wanting to do. Maybe try the Slingbox forums to see if there is some way to capture streams to files. If you can do that, then you can probably stream those files on an extender. In any case it would be awkward.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the Slingbox forums and the Place Shifting Enthusiasts sites with no luck. There is a product called Jakasta but the resolution is horrible at 240 x 320...Yuck! If I could get WMC to recognize the slingbox feed, I think it will take care of both issues. I'll keep looking for something.

Thanks

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page