AVS Forum banner

Remuxing DVD-A or SACD

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Aleron Ives 
#1 ·
I'm guessing the answer to this is "no", but I'm going to ask anyway...

Anyone know of any software program that can stare at my DVD-A or SACD disc in my PC's DVD drive and remux it to a container format with 5.1 uncompressed audio (like Dolby TrueHD) that can be properly DAC'ed by a modern and moderately priced AV receiver?

I really would just like to play my old DVD-A's and SACDs via VLC on my HTPC.

#2 ·
DVD-Audio Extractor can for DVD-A and Blu-ray, and convert to bit-perfect .flac or .wav, and gives you a 30-day free trial. I know you didn't ask about blu-ray but apparently for DTS-MA you will still only get the core track, but TrueHD and uncompressed PCM are bit-perfect.

I have no idea how to extract DSD outside of an old PS3 with older firmware.

#3 ·
DVD-A discs typically contain water mark that is the same as today's Cinavia used in BD. Otherwise, it is easy to extract.

DSD stream on SACD disc can not be converted into LPCM without losing quality. I believe there are software let you extract and save as DSD file instead but not many players out there can play this type of file.

You will probably end up with a 5.1 LPCM track. To compress them into TrueHD or DTS-HD MA , requires commercial software to do so and not necessary needed.

#5 ·
I used Fubar with a plugin and ripped the songs to FLAC

Reactions: triple_vee
#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibertech  /t/1524962/remuxing-dvd-a-or-sacd#post_24547969

I used Fubar with a plugin and ripped the songs to FLAC
Right, I've heard of that (I believe it's "foobar" actually).

But I'm looking to keep the multichannel feature of the original DVD-A/SACD that I can send from my HTPC to my AV receiver via HDMI.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_vee  /t/1524962/remuxing-dvd-a-or-sacd#post_24548215

Right, I've heard of that (I believe it's "foobar" actually).

But I'm looking to keep the multichannel feature of the original DVD-A/SACD that I can send from my HTPC to my AV receiver via HDMI.

Both Foobar with the DVDA plugin or DVD-A explorer will be able to rip DVDA discs into multichannel .wav or .flac that will be identical to the source disc. You would then play that back in any audio player that can handle multichannel flac (Foobar, jRiver both can, WMP cannot).

The PC will send to the receiver in multichannel LPCM over HDMI or as multichannel analog if you're going that route.

I don't know of any method to read SACD discs in a PC DVD drive. The only ripping method I'm aware of is using an old PS3 model and booting Linux on old firmware, not really viable for most people.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho  /t/1524962/remuxing-dvd-a-or-sacd#post_24548362

Both Foobar with the DVDA plugin or DVD-A explorer will be able to rip DVDA discs into multichannel .wav or .flac that will be identical to the source disc. You would then play that back in any audio player that can handle multichannel flac (Foobar, jRiver both can, WMP cannot).

The PC will send to the receiver in multichannel LPCM over HDMI or as multichannel analog if you're going that route.

I don't know of any method to read SACD discs in a PC DVD drive. The only ripping method I'm aware of is using an old PS3 model and booting Linux on old firmware, not really viable for most people.
coolio...thanks, man!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1524962/remuxing-dvd-a-or-sacd#post_24548658

That isn't really true. You have to convert PDM to LPCM to play the SACD in the first place.

No, SACD players can output DSD stream over HDMI to AVR (HDMI 1.2) and there are many (mostly old) high end AVRs that can convert DSD to analog audio without ever convert to LPCM first. For many SACD purist, converting DSD to LPCM is blasphemy

#14 ·
jriver supports DSD naively. It handles SACD rips well, i.e. the SACD ISO file can be imported directly. Playback either converts to PCM, or can streams DSD with the DSD over PCM (DoP) standard to a DSD capable DAC over e.g. USB.

Allegedly (according to jriver), it is currently not possible to pass DSD to a DSD capable receiver over HDMI as there is no graphics card that support it.

#15 ·
I currently don't know of any PC drive that can read SACD in its native format... so I don't see how the rip could exist...

Players that support SACD have a special chip that decode the the audio stream coming from the laser reader...

Other than this you only get the 2 channel 44.1 stereo audio...

Jriver could only support this if you could get a PC drive that can read the SACD raw format... any manufacturer who would release such a drive will make money...

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky  /t/1524962/remuxing-dvd-a-or-sacd#post_24550606

Jriver could only support this if you could get a PC drive that can read the SACD raw format... any manufacturer who would release such a drive will make money...

Sony holds all the patents and licensing right for SACD. Any manufacturer dares to make such PC drive will probably get sued by Sony and losing money big time, IMO. Besides, the time for hi-res audio discs have long passed. It is a niche market at best. From what I read, there are companies that now sell DSD digital music files online directly. Bypass any need for a physical disc and physical drive.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1524962/remuxing-dvd-a-or-sacd#post_24548827

The TC wants to involve his computer in ripping and remuxing, though, and converting PDM to LPCM is unavoidable when a PC is part of the processing chain (at least if you want the audio to be playable on the PC).
Hey guys,

A bit of clarification is in order. My primary goal is to simply play the files off my HTPC over HDMI to my AV receiver. I really don't care how the rip occurs (whether through PS3 or I download a DSD for which I already own the SACD).

First of all, thanks for the info on multi-channel FLAC as an option for DVD-A. I wasn't aware that FLAC supported > 2 channels (upon reflection, why the hell not?).

Obviously, I'm kind of a newb in this matter, so I'll review the very informative posts here and do some more research. Thanks for all the great info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.