Is there a way to manipulate a video with a script for time code based video filtering? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For some this question might seem strange. Let me add som reasoning. I really enjoy (some parts) of certain shows and movies, for example, N.C.I.S. and Game of Thrones. My SO does not enjoy to see a close up of an autopsy or really gory violence (I can stomach it, but I don't enjoy it).

I have seen that for some day time airings of N.C.I.S. the "offending" scenes have been blurred to make it less graphic and it gave me the idea of using a HTPC in combination with a script that instructs the player to apply a filter at certain parts to reduce the gore.

I think this would be a great way to let viewers chose what level of gratuitous violence they want to see and make more content available.

One thought I had is to use some kind of subtitle approach.

00:00:54,160 --> 00:00:58,000

[Apply blur, 5]

00:10:11,040 --> 00:10:13,000

[Apply blur, 10]
[Reduce audio, -40]

I fully understand that many people are very averse to censorship, but I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. I would rather watch a blurred / filtered version of certain shows with my SO than watch the whole thing by my self.

If there is a way to do this I would hire some free lancing subtitlers or the like to make the scripts for me since I don't want to see any spoilers before hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 293
There are tools that can apply such effects (e.g. AviSynth), but there's no way to predict when something you find objectionable will occur beforehand. You'd have to watch the whole episode, mark the offending spots in your script, then watch it again with the censorship.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

There are tools that can apply such effects (e.g. AviSynth), but there's no way to predict when something you find objectionable will occur beforehand. You'd have to watch the whole episode, mark the offending spots in your script, then watch it again with the censorship.

Thank you for the suggestion. I would hire someone to do the time code work.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Someone beat you to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearPlay but personally I wouldn't trust other people to pick what to clip...wink.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

I had a vague memory of something like that. But it seems to be focused mostly on movies and work by skipping, not quite what I am after.

If I could get my hand of the daytime edits of the shows, the problem would be solved.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page