Launch 24fps Movies and Videos in MPC-HC from WMC for 24Hz and soft subtitle support?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have many movies in MKV format that are 24 fps. I want to be able to watch them on my projector at a 24 Hz refresh rate, to avoid the telecine judder. I can do this no problem using MPC-HC or within XBMC which has 24p support. I'd prefer to simply use Windows Media Center since I already use it a lot for CableCard Live TV, and it keeps it a lot simpler for my girlfriend. So it seems the best solution would be to have it launch Movies and Videos in an external video player such as MPC-HC and return on exit. I've tried using mikinho's "Open With" without success in Windows 8.1. I'm curious what others are doing for 24p content from Windows Media Center. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Use Media Browser Classic, which supports launching external players like MPC-HC. Alternatively, MyMovies can actually change the framerate within WMC without launching an external player. I don't have a ton of experience with the latter option, and it's not as popular (probably because it requires 2500 MyMovies contribution points which costs $100, although a trial is available).
post #3 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately as you mention MyMovies is prohibitively expensive, and I honestly do not like Media Browser Classic. I've used it before to get emulator support in Media Center and I find it very fugly and clunky. MyMovies is much better looking and true to the look and feel of Media Center, but $100 isn't exactly worth it when completely capable free solutions exist. I have a feeling I'll be able to eventually figure out how to launch an external player such as MPC-HC. If not, I'll likely give in and use XBMC which is very nice, and flip back and forth between it and WMC when I need to watch Live TV.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Just FYI, not all of MyMovies features require a 2500 points ($100). See here. It looks like you can use external players with 1250 contribution points ($50).

I don't know of any other solutions besides MediaBrowser and MyMovies for launching external players in WMC. If you find another solution, let us know ;-)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately as you mention MyMovies is prohibitively expensive, and I honestly do not like Media Browser Classic. I've used it before to get emulator support in Media Center and I find it very fugly and clunky. MyMovies is much better looking and true to the look and feel of Media Center, but $100 isn't exactly worth it when completely capable free solutions exist. I have a feeling I'll be able to eventually figure out how to launch an external player such as MPC-HC. If not, I'll likely give in and use XBMC which is very nice, and flip back and forth between it and WMC when I need to watch Live TV.

FYI, XBMC supports live TV now through the pvr.wmc back end server. It's only good for "copy freely" channels, so may not work for you, but it's an option you might want to check out. If not, there are some guides around here for launching XBMC from within WMC to make switching back and forth easier.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

FYI, XBMC supports live TV now through the pvr.wmc back end server. It's only good for "copy freely" channels, so may not work for you, but it's an option you might want to check out. If not, there are some guides around here for launching XBMC from within WMC to make switching back and forth easier.

Yeah, the whole copy flags, especially for premium channels like HBO, are what's requiring me to use WMC in the first place sadly. I've decided to go with an XBMC + WMC combo like you suggest. Trying to get WMC to play nice with 24 Hz just isn't worth the hassle. XBMC Gotham allows more customization of homescreen content, so there are some nice skins that allow you to launch an external app such as WMC from a nice icon on the homescreen. The Eminence skin looks really nice and does what I want. After gluing it all together with Eventghost I should be able to have a pretty seamless setup.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page