Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
MS Drops XP support - the first shoe drops

Just downloaded the latest version of MS spyware/malware program. Tried to run it on a client XP system and got rebuffed. Pulled the one I downloaded about a month ago and it went right in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I didn't know it wouldn't even install after support went away.

For XP now, every day will be zero day for new or unpatched exploits. The only way I'm going to be running XP (still need it from time to time for an old application) is on a machine that isn't connected to the Internet, or a sandboxed virtual machine.
post #3 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 933
MS wants XP to die. It's time. Throw dirt on it.
Osirus23 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM

That's fine Mike, unless you need to open a 15 or 20-year old spreadsheet that was never converted to a newer format. I have to dig back into old work archives once or twice a year. In a lot of cases, I need to run XP to use an old (really old) Win95 or XP version of an application to be able to open and convert a file that's in LOTUS 1-2-3 or even QuattroPro for DOS or Win 3.1 or Win95. It's not worth hundreds or thousands of hours to convert years and years of work that's been archived.
post #5 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
i still have to run XP for some work. Runs great on VM Workstation. Will have to move to Windows 7 for the other VM that does connect to clients though.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #6 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

That's fine Mike, unless you need to open a 15 or 20-year old spreadsheet that was never converted to a newer format. I have to dig back into old work archives once or twice a year. In a lot of cases, I need to run XP to use an old (really old) Win95 or XP version of an application to be able to open and convert a file that's in LOTUS 1-2-3 or even QuattroPro for DOS or Win 3.1 or Win95. It's not worth hundreds or thousands of hours to convert years and years of work that's been archived.

I would not keep an XP machine around for this. Seems silly. I'd just run whatever office you needed virtual- or run XP virtual even. No sense in needing any support for that from MS. That's a really small problem that effects so few people and there is plenty of work around for such available if you just search google.

Use your new machine. Open the old archives on that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The large corporation that I subcontract for still uses XP for many legacy applications that haven't been updated for W7. The IT dept is so resistant to do the necessary coding to update these programs. Hell, some databases that i have to use are still running on DOS! All the workstations use client servers/vm to access the network, so they all dual boot XP and W7. I can mainly operate in the W7 environment, but I still have to use the XP side a few times a week.
post #8 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

One can always run XP on a virtual machine running under any subsequent release. I prefer VMware's virtual machine.
post #9 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

One can always run XP on a virtual machine running under any subsequent release. I prefer VMware's virtual machine.

That's what I'll probably end up doing next time I need it. I also have a working XP laptop that lives in a closet that l can use til it's dead.
post #10 of 59 Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's just silly how much business software companies haven't released official win7 versions, not to mention win8.

You get your IT to force it to run on win7, yet it's not "officially" supported.
post #11 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 150
My company has upgraded over 80% of their PCs to Win 7. Mine is still running XP, but I'm slated to get a new PC in the very near future. Win 7 has been a nightmare for a lot of people. With security being extremely tight these days, a lot of the capabilities I have on my XP machine are going away with Win 7, which really sucks. If I had the option, I'd just disconnect my PC from the internet and keep running XP. I like Win 7 on my home PCs, but they way it's being implemented in my office environment is not going to make me happy. A lot of the tasks I was able to perform myself will now have to be farmed out to others in my department that have the proper software.
post #12 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 AM

+1

I resisted moving to Win7 at work until a couple of years ago. I still don't see a benefit from a usability/productivity standpoint. I know it's more secure and it's a better OS overall, but I still find myself looking for things in the wrong place and needing extra clicks to find things. I had XP configured and customized perfectly for how I used it. (Sigh) I must be getting old and set in my ways.
post #13 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Yeah, I did not expect Microsoft Security Essentials to be dropped from the XP support, as well. I was OK with not getting patches and updates from Microsoft.

Took one of the older XP laptops (Compaq from 2001 that I paid $300 for at CompUSA) to Best Buy for their $100 trade in guarantee that they are running this week. Bought a cheap new laptop for $150 with the credit.

Still keeping one of the XP laptops for when I need to run the programs that are only supported in XP.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #14 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Old XP machines are a good candidates for Ubuntu...biggrin.gif
I loan out my salvaged Ubuntu machines to folks that are computer illiterate for web crawling and e-mail. Machines are virtually bomb-proof; never had to rebuild or repair. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Yeah, I did not expect Microsoft Security Essentials to be dropped from the XP support, as well. I was OK with not getting patches and updates from Microsoft.

Took one of the older XP laptops (Compaq from 2001 that I paid $300 for at CompUSA) to Best Buy for their $100 trade in guarantee that they are running this week. Bought a cheap new laptop for $150 with the credit.

Still keeping one of the XP laptops for when I need to run the programs that are only supported in XP.

Security Essentials seems to be in a halfway house. As I mentioned downloading the current installer retrieved a problem that failed under XP , but the installer I downloaded in min-January works. No problems updating its definitions.

I've been experimenting with running XP in a VMWARE virtual machine under Windows 8.1, which has so far been very productive. I've only got one program that is causing problems under 8.1 and it is running very well on XP under VMware. I just installed XP, SP/1, SP/2 and Security Essentials on the VMWare virtual machine with no problems. It seems to be even a little smoother than running XP on a real machine. Certainly it is smoother and more transparent then running on a different machine.
post #16 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You can get codecs to allow modern programs to translate old format files.
That, with XP mode, should give you all you need.

Sent from my Note3 via Tapatalk
post #17 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Funny. I use my Windows XP desktop most of the time. Not sure how long new software will support XP. Software like Turbotax and McAfee Internet Security.

I use my Windows 8 laptop when I need a machine that has speed!
post #18 of 59 Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Just downloaded the latest version of MS spyware/malware program. Tried to run it on a client XP system and got rebuffed. Pulled the one I downloaded about a month ago and it went right in.

Hi, sorry this is so late, but question for the OP...
What is the latest version of MSE that works for XP after EOL date?
*Edit for rephrase*
What was the revision of MSE that you confirmed as still working with XP? TIA.

post #19 of 59 Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Quote:

*Edit for rephrase*

I double checked and the problem is not what runs, but what you can install. The MSE that is running under XP on my PC is the identical same version as the MSE that runs under Win 8.1. They buggered the installer so that MSE can't install.
post #20 of 59 Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

*Edit for rephrase*

The one running on my XP VM is:
Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.10401.0
Antivirus definition: 1.169.2280.0
Antispyware definition: 1.169.2280.0

The one running on the Win 8.1 host is:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.10401.0
Antivirus definition: 1.169.2280.0
Antispyware definition: 1.169.2280.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.10302.0
Network Inspection System Definition Version: 110.31.0.0

I conclude that the antimalware is the same, but the installer is different.
post #21 of 59 Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#escape-from-xp

-

post #22 of 59 Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Much appreciation for the info, Arnold smile.gif

post #23 of 59 Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone try this game ?

It's pure lulz. Wait for windows XP to load up and try it. You will laugh.

http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#escape-from-xp

-

post #24 of 59 Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I don't have a version of XP handy at the moment, but has anyone tried installing MSE with the /disableoslimit switch?

It allows MSE to be installed on the otherwise unsupported WHS2011, so I suspect it might work on the now unsupported XP too. Worth a shot.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #25 of 59 Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Security Essentials seems to be in a halfway house. As I mentioned downloading the current installer retrieved a problem that failed under XP , but the installer I downloaded in min-January works. No problems updating its definitions.

You are right. I uninstalled current MSE, rebooted, and re-installed from the original installation file, and it updated and scanned no problem. Thanks for the tip!

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #26 of 59 Old 04-12-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

*Edit for rephrase*

I double checked and the problem is not what runs, but what you can install. The MSE that is running under XP on my PC is the identical same version as the MSE that runs under Win 8.1. They buggered the installer so that MSE can't install.

Updates for Windows XP version of MSE end in July 2015. Not sure if that is just for Malware updates.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download#dlbutton

I just finished updating all of my Windows XP software, and did a full C:\ backup to an external hard drive just in case something happens via some security lapse.
post #27 of 59 Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

*Edit for rephrase*

Updates for Windows XP version of MSE end in July 2015. Not sure if that is just for Malware updates.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download#dlbutton

Corrected link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download?os=winxp&arch=other

Correct content from that page:

The Malicious Software Removal Tool and updates to Microsoft Security Essentials will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015.
post #28 of 59 Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can someone explain to me why there is so much concern about "MS drops XP support" and then "MSE updates". It seems to me that if MS has simply stopped fixing security holes (which should be few and far between after all these years, yes?) and MSE is inadequate to the task or otherwise stops working after July 2015, why not use a 3rd party program? They are more complete anyway, aren't they?

Having said that, one of the reasons I run XP on one of my machines is that not only does a needed software program run only on XP, it also doesn't work under Comodo Internet Security so I have MSE installed (solely) instead. redface.gif
post #29 of 59 Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Can someone explain to me why there is so much concern about "MS drops XP support" and then "MSE updates". It seems to me that if MS has simply stopped fixing security holes (which should be few and far between after all these years, yes?) and MSE is inadequate to the task or otherwise stops working after July 2015, why not use a 3rd party program? They are more complete anyway, aren't they?

Having said that, one of the reasons I run XP on one of my machines is that not only does a needed software program run only on XP, it also doesn't work under Comodo Internet Security so I have MSE installed (solely) instead. redface.gif

I unfortunately have more experience than I ever wanted with people who try to run computers on the internet but let their security package(s) lapse.

Just my personal experience but I would estimate that a computer that is used frequently can remain somewhat useful 3 to 6 months with a lapsed security package. Within a year or two the machine can easily be just about hopelessly infected - the logical thing to do is to back up the data and start over with a full system restore or clean install.

I need to remember that running any particular security package is not an absolute guarantee of being malware free. I occasionally see machines that were clean 3 months ago, still have a mainstream malware package up to date and running, and are well on their way to being hopelessly infected. People who flog political sites can be as much at risk as people who download other kinds of filth or pirated music.
post #30 of 59 Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

The risk is not viruses or malware that Microsoft security essentials or other virus/malware scanner would catch. The biggest risk is some other type of future security hole that is discovered in Vista, or Windows 7, or Windows 8, etc. that would also be a hole in XP. While the newer versions of Windows would get patched through a security update, XP will no longer get patches. When the others get patched, the patches will be reverse-engineered by malicious people who can then try to see if older unpatched systems are vulnerable. It's not so much home users that will get targeted (although they will), its more corporate systems that may suddenly be unsecured.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2013/08/15/the-risk-of-running-windows-xp-after-support-ends.aspx

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-windows-xp-users-risk-zero-day-forever-7000019503/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2104281/f-secure-report-warns-xp-zero-day-attack-is-imminent.html

http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/targeted-attacks-spotted-exploiting-microsoft-xp-zero-day/d/d-id/1140983?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page