What is everyone doing for TRAILERS ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
I can download trailers with MCM, and there is plugins for MB and XBMC and PLEX to use trailers but the problem I always have is it's never compatible across front ends very well.

Example:

If I download movie trailers for all my media using MCM with "mediabrowser style" everything works fine in MB3 but PLEX's scaper tries to scrape all the trailers and my PLEX library gets all screwed up.

Anyone have a good working solution for this ?

My thoughts were download them MB style ( I would only use them with MB anyways) and then make hidden all the trailer videos or folders ?

What else? Advice ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201375253-Excluding-Content-with-plexignore
Mfusick likes this.
post #3 of 42 Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
For Plex, use Plexignore. Of course you can also use this to exclude other folders like "backdrops" and "specials" so Plex doesn't scan them into the library. Hopefully Plex will add support for trailers eventually (it may be THE most requested feature on the plex forums).

Edit: wraslor beat me to it :-)
Mfusick likes this.
post #4 of 42 Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok thumbs up to both of you...

But how can I enable or batch edit this in one big swoop ? I am not editing each trailer in my 45TB server... It will be 2025 by the time I am done.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 42 Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry mfusick can you explain again what you are trying to accomplish? The whole point of plexignore is that you wouldn't have to batch edit anything. Just put the plexignore file in the parent folder.
post #6 of 42 Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I stopped watching movie trailers about a year ago. They just spoil way too much and I prefer to go into a movie with an open mind and no preconceived notions of what's going to happen. It's made my movie watching much more pleasurable.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What is "mediabrowser style"?

For xbmc, it's simply a matter of appending -trailer to the file name, before the extension of course.

I like to hand pick my trailers if they're not available on the disc, and use hd-trailers.net almost all of the time, unless it's not available there, and then i'll go to youtube. I love having the trailers available, especially for picking out movies that my family may not be familiar with.
post #8 of 42 Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 297
No advice

You have to choose mediabrowser or xbmc

MCM can "re-attach" them for you in either direction, but I probably got about 98% success

Why do you care about the plex portion these days? I've never cared too much for the way plex looks in PHT. It just does what it feels like in the background, and when I want to watch stuff remotely . . . there it is

Also, I stopped telling MCM to fetch trailers, and I personally just let XBMC handle them with youtube links (I don't have to do anything, just click trailer - except now xbmc goes out to youtube and starts playing the trailer for me automatically)
post #9 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wish there was an option to download and store movie trailers in their own designated folder or library just for trailers and independent of your media folders.

Developers listening ?

Anyone know if this is possible ? I would much rather them be in a separate folder and not inside my movie folder.

-

post #10 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For some reason PLEX is still trying to scrape all my trailers even though I added a -trailer.plexignore file to my root folders.

Anyone else have a good suggestion how to enable trailers without PLEX scraping them ?

What I specifically want is to be able to view a trailer in MB3 theater, but not have all the trailers show up in my PLEX libraries. It would be nice if PLEX understood them and just left them alone, or even better could play them and had trailer functionality. But at this point I would settle for PLEX just totally ignoring them.

I don't know why the -trailer.plexignore does not seem to work. Perhaps I don't understand it ?/

-

post #11 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

For some reason PLEX is still trying to scrape all my trailers even though I added a -trailer.plexignore file to my root folders.

Filename should simply be .plexignore

Nothing in front of it and no extensions. Inside the .plexignore file, you list the filename patterns for it to ignore (e.g. *trailer*)
post #12 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So it's like a wordpad file, called ".plexignore" and the text inside the .plexignore file is "trailer" and it will ignore anything that has trailer in it ?

Each trailer is named differently, it's what the media browser plugin or MCM does automatically. Can I just make PLEX ignore anything with "trailer" in the name ?

-

post #13 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish there was an option to download and store movie trailers in their own designated folder or library just for trailers and independent of your media folders.

Developers listening ?

Anyone know if this is possible ? I would much rather them be in a separate folder and not inside my movie folder.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any developers listening to these forums, except for MB3 and MeediOS

Though I agree it would be nice to have a single folder for trailers, actor images, and at least a unified naming convention for disc, clear art, clear logo, poster, backdrop, banner between front ends. I can see why there won't ever be progress on this though

Also, I've never had this issue with Plex, but I suppose it's because all of my trailers are xbmc style
post #14 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
i dont download and store any. using xbmc, i usually press C for context menu and select play trailer to stream right there and then. not sure where it comes from.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #15 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

i dont download and store any. using xbmc, i usually press C for context menu and select play trailer to stream right there and then. not sure where it comes from.
Youtube, but possibly apple trailers, etc. Also, if you change your skin to Aeon Nox or Aeon MQ5, the "trailer" tab in the movie's show info screen will do this for you allowing you to skip the context menu. I've been doing this as well, and since I've found the option I leave the "download trailers" option of MCM un-ticked. Though I have at least a 1000 trailers still laying around in there from the old way
Mfusick likes this.
post #16 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I'm pretty sure there aren't any developers listening to these forums, except for MB3 and MeediOS

Though I agree it would be nice to have a single folder for trailers, actor images, and at least a unified naming convention for disc, clear art, clear logo, poster, backdrop, banner between front ends. I can see why there won't ever be progress on this though

Also, I've never had this issue with Plex, but I suppose it's because all of my trailers are xbmc style

I think that MB3 supports XBMC style as well. I guess I could try that. Can you confirm that works with PLEX ?

-

post #17 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that MB3 supports XBMC style as well. I guess I could try that. Can you confirm that works with PLEX ?

I would really double check that with luke or someone knowledgeable

They used to only support a nested trailer folder within your movie folder, while XBMC keeps them in the main movie folder with the -trailer option

Also, we have similar size libraries (by number of titles, not TB) and it took a lot of time for MCM to re-attach the trailers to XBMC style. It missed about 5-6 as well (or in some cases, moved the trailer but left the trailer folder)

Also, my plex library is setup to scrape new titles with
  1. XBMC NFO importer
  2. Local media assets
  3. TMDB

I'm not sure how well it would work without the XBMC NFO importer in place
post #18 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

So it's like a wordpad file, called ".plexignore" and the text inside the .plexignore file is "trailer" and it will ignore anything that has trailer in it ?

Each trailer is named differently, it's what the media browser plugin or MCM does automatically. Can I just make PLEX ignore anything with "trailer" in the name ?

It needs to be a plain text file so I'd use Notepad instead of Word. Hmm, you don't use the command line much do you? smile.gif * is a wildcard which matches 0 or more instances of any character.

*trailer* will match all of the following:

trailer
trailer.mp4
Harry Potter 01-trailer.mp4
trailer-Lord of the Rings 01.mkv
Frozen-trailer-001.flv
Mickey's Trailer (1938).mkv
post #19 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I would really double check that with luke or someone knowledgeable

They used to only support a nested trailer folder within your movie folder, while XBMC keeps them in the main movie folder with the -trailer option

Also, we have similar size libraries (by number of titles, not TB) and it took a lot of time for MCM to re-attach the trailers to XBMC style. It missed about 5-6 as well (or in some cases, moved the trailer but left the trailer folder)

Also, my plex library is setup to scrape new titles with
  1. XBMC NFO importer
  2. Local media assets
  3. TMDB

I'm not sure how well it would work without the XBMC NFO importer in place

MB3 server uses xbmc style NFO so that's perfect, how do I set up NFO importer ?

So you are saying you have trailers xbmc style and plex handles them ok ? Or does it try to scrape ?

-

post #20 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

It needs to be a plain text file so I'd use Notepad instead of Word. Hmm, you don't use the command line much do you? smile.gif * is a wildcard which matches 0 or more instances of any character.

*trailer* will match all of the following:

trailer
trailer.mp4
Harry Potter 01-trailer.mp4
trailer-Lord of the Rings 01.mkv
Frozen-trailer-001.flv
Mickey's Trailer (1938).mkv

I used notepad actually smile.gif I'm not sure why I said word, must be habit. Thanks for great reply, I'll try the * and see if that helps.

-

post #21 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MB3 server uses xbmc style NFO so that's perfect, how do I set up NFO importer ?

So you are saying you have trailers xbmc style and plex handles them ok ? Or does it try to scrape ?

Um, maybe not. Plex doesn't show the trailers at all, but it also doesn't try to scrape them as additional videos

Not sure if you are trying to get plex to show your trailers as well, this wouldn't work for that

Here is the NFO importer for Plex

Then you have to modify the metadata agents order for your plex movies library in the web interface

Here is a shot of my library, info screen of one movie, and that one movie's local folder

post #22 of 42 Old 04-27-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So you are saying you have trailers in the "XBMC style" (MCM can get them right ?) and PLEX does not try to scrape them at all ever ?

-

post #23 of 42 Old 04-27-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It seems like I have some this style:

and I also have some this style:

I have tried to make "hidden" the folder ones so they don't get scraped (that worked for my live backdrops folders) but I still see that stupid mickey mouse trailer poster more than I want. PLEX seems to always think trailers are "Mickey's Trailer" so that is a tell tale sign for me since I don't own that cartoon.

If you can confirm plex isn't scraping the XBMC style ones for me- I will delete all the folder ones and redownload them in that format.

Thanks for the help!

-

post #24 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems like I have some this style:

and I also have some this style:

I have tried to make "hidden" the folder ones so they don't get scraped (that worked for my live backdrops folders) but I still see that stupid mickey mouse trailer poster more than I want. PLEX seems to always think trailers are "Mickey's Trailer" so that is a tell tale sign for me since I don't own that cartoon.

If you can confirm plex isn't scraping the XBMC style ones for me- I will delete all the folder ones and redownload them in that format.

Thanks for the help!

With libraries of our size (1500 titles) I hate to lead you astray. I can say that none of my trailers scrape in Plex. All the ones I have are moviename-trailer.ext while the actual title is moviename.ext (with the year in there)

The only thing I can't say is whether or not MB3 will still be able to scrape them if you move them

Also, you don't have to delete and re-download, in MCM under tools there is an option to re-attach all trailers. Once you change the setting for how you want trailers saved of course.

It will probably leave behind a few rogue "trailer" folders that are empty, I just did a windows file explorer search on trailers and inspected each result. Most of the folders I deleted (about 8), but 3 of them still had the trailer so I just renamed it and moved it manually then deleted the trailer folder

The only thing I don't want is for this to wreck your MB3 clients. Surely one of them can tell you with 100% certainty whether or not MB3 can scrape trailers with the -trailer.ext naming convention
post #25 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think MB3 server is really good about supporting XBMC and it's way of doing things. It's really flexible in that regard. Currently I have no issue with MB3 server at all. It's completely only PLEX doing the scraping when I don't want.

I'm playing around with the Trailers plugin for MB3 (instead of using MCM to get them) but I am uncertain if it uses XBMC style or the old MB style of a trailer folder. The trailer folder is the ones that throw PLEX for a loop I think. Perhaps LUKE would know which the trailers plug in uses ??

-

post #26 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I think MB3 server is really good about supporting XBMC and it's way of doing things. It's really flexible in that regard. Currently I have no issue with MB3 server at all. It's completely only PLEX doing the scraping when I don't want.

I'm playing around with the Trailers plugin for MB3 (instead of using MCM to get them) but I am uncertain if it uses XBMC style or the old MB style of a trailer folder. The trailer folder is the ones that throw PLEX for a loop I think. Perhaps LUKE would know which the trailers plug in uses ??

Not sure if this totally answers your question - but sounds like they don't download anywhere - purely a stream service - No?

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/topic/6735-trailers-are-very-slow/ - sorry post #2
post #27 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 200
What exactly are you doing with the trailers? Watching previews for films you already have?

I could see for new movies that aren't out on video yet. I'd do that if I had a big theater and XBMC Cinema Experience.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #28 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I use the built in trailer feature of XBMC when we have people over and we are trying to decide what to watch.

Bill
post #29 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I use the built in trailer feature of XBMC when we have people over and we are trying to decide what to watch.

Bill

I'm not on XBMC and it's plex that messes up.

I really only need plex to stop scraping trailers, but I need to figure out how to set up my trailers and do that first. It looks like just converting everything to XBMC style might work best and that seems easiest

-

post #30 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

What exactly are you doing with the trailers? Watching previews for films you already have?

I could see for new movies that aren't out on video yet. I'd do that if I had a big theater and XBMC Cinema Experience.

Yes. I have a collection large enough and old enough I don't know what movies are about and it's nice to watch a trailer when wife and I trying to pick something for movie night. It's cool to show off for guests too.

Gimmick feature ... ? sure it is. But hey... I want it to work. I can make trailers work just fine in MB but what I can't do is stop plex from scraping them. Since I have multiple versions of trailer formats I need to isolate what the problem is and convert everything to a proper solution.

I am working on re-attaching all the old style ones in the folder to the XBMC style now. See if that does the trick or not.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page