HDMI Solution from Cat5e cable - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
my main problem is my wife likes to watch movies on tv via VLC player or some players ( where she can pause, forward, rewind etc) as she got used to this. She will be watching youtube ( though i bought google chromecast, she likes watching youtube in browser)

this is why i was thinking of keeping my desktop ( HTPC) on 3rd floor bedroom and connect it to tv ( in 2nd floor living room) via ethernet and then go Cat6 over HDMi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 352
XBMC or WMC via extenders are far easier to use than VLC player and do not require HDMI from your PC. Even a simple streaming device like a BD player or Roku, or the Chromecast you already have, will work for all of that as well. You don't even need a PC, just something to store your files.

You're still pursuing a very expensive, Rube Goldberg solution to a very simple problem. Extending HDMI makes sense if there is no other option. In your case there are plenty of better, cheaper options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

after reading through all replies what i was thinking is to keep my htpc in one of the bedroom either on 3rd floor or 1st floor, connect it to the existing cat5e network outlet, then have one more small laptop near my tv and connect that laptop to the existing cat5e netwokr outlet and watch movies from there. will this setup be good ( cost effective ?). so that i can keep my wife happy too and i need not to worry about the pricing of installing cat6 cables ?

my question here is if i go with the above setup, if i watch movies from laptop , will i get the 7.1 sound system to my speakers ( as the laptop is having normal intel hd graphics card) ?
post #34 of 37 Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

any replies to my above question ?
post #35 of 37 Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 352
If I understand correctly, the PC upstairs has some video files you want to play. You'd plug your laptop in to your TV downstairs via HDMI or VGA I presume, and use a keyboard/mouse to watch those files via VLC, correct? That's far from ideal, but it would work.

A better solution, proposed many times already, would be to use a Roku, WD TV Live, a cheap android box with XBMC or a WMC extender instead of your laptop, and use a regular IR remote to watch whatever you want. That way, you can use your laptop for other things and operate the TV like you would if you had a disc player or cable box. There are many other similar solutions that use different hardware and software (Plex, MB3, etc.), but that's the basic idea. You don't even need a PC upstairs. All you need is a NAS.

I'm all for running as much Cat5/6 as you can afford. But what you have already will work fine. I wouldn't recommend using a laptop as a client simply because it's unnecessarily complex and awkward to operate.

post #36 of 37 Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
What you need to start thinking is that you will have a Media Server connected to your network as the source, not in terms of a HTPC (can be the same PC). Your media lives on and is served from the Media Server and is played on network connected devices at other TVs. Pretty much any network connected device on the market can play media stored on a computer on that same network. With Plex Media server installed on the server you can run Chromecast using the Plex app. Now all your media is available on that TV for $35 (and you don't even need Ethernet since it is WiFi only).

Other examples are mentioned that would work too. I'd look into Roku 3 units and see how that would work for you. The HDMI splitter IMO isn't a good solution.

post #37 of 37 Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. i have cancelled the plan of going with cat6 over hdmi option. i will rather buy an media server or else i will build small HTPC and keep it in my living room and play movies over the network
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page