HDMI Solution from Cat5e cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

Recently i bought a new house ( 3 story town home) and had setup networking with the home builders. They have installed Cat 5e cables ( i requested them to install Cat 6 but they dint listened as cat5e is there standard policy) across my bedrooms
They have installed 1X Cat 5e, 2X Rg6 Coaxial cable and 1 Telephone jack ( at back end that is cat5e cable)

i want to have HDMI across Cat 5e as i have a desktop system where all the movies are stored and i want to place it in one of the bedroom and the tv will be in my living area.

Based on my above networking setup, can anyone suggest me the good setup of watching movies on my tv using HDMi solution ( cat5 to hdmi converter)

Since i want to place my Desktop machine in 3rd floor and my tv is in living area, is there any way that i will be having any connectivity to my USB keyboard and Mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Why make your live complicated with with HDMI wires, and then try and figure out how to control it from the 3rd floor.

Set up a an extender, and access all of your movies using a remote, in the room where the TV is. Extenders only need a single Ethernet connection.

Looks up either WMC and Extender or XBMC and Extender.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
What you need is a pair of HDBase-T adapters which can be found on Amazon.com and other places. They are not cheap.
post #4 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Why make your live complicated with with HDMI wires, and then try and figure out how to control it from the 3rd floor.

Set up a an extender, and access all of your movies using a remote, in the room where the TV is. Extenders only need a single Ethernet connection.

Looks up either WMC and Extender or XBMC and Extender.

X2!!!
You may want to consider using a "network switch"; nice and neat.biggrin.gif
post #5 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I could be wrong but I believe the hdmi over cat 5 solutions requires exclusive use of said ethernet cable and you indicated only having 1 ethernet run per room. You should not attempt to hook a HDBaseT adapter to any network cable currently connected to any computer network equipment such as routers, switches, or hubs.

post #6 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Yes i do have a network switch connected in my 3rd floor closet. So the setup is like this

Main Switch is located in closet, then from there wiring will go to master bedroom, 1st bedroom, 2nd bedroom ( these 3 are located on 3rd floor)
Then from closet switch, wires will go to my living area ( 2nd floor) and then from switch to 4th bedroom ( located on 1st floor)

so my plan is to keep my desktop some where in 2nd or 3rd bedroom. then connect it as source and then i will be watching tv in my living room

so the wiring will be from Desktop to Switch , from switch to TV

Please suggest me ideas and a very high end switch as well
post #7 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

I could be wrong but I believe the hdmi over cat 5 solutions requires exclusive use of said ethernet cable and you indicated only having 1 ethernet run per room. You should not attempt to hook a HDBaseT adapter to any network cable currently connected to any computer network equipment such as routers, switches, or hubs.

Typical HDBase-T adapters come with a 100mbps network port, HDMI port and IR port.
post #8 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Typical HDBase-T adapters come with a 100mbps network port, HDMI port and IR port.
I knew that. Though it really don't change anything I said previously.

http://www.hdbaset.org/faq#q8

post #9 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Yes i do have a network switch connected in my 3rd floor closet. So the setup is like this

Main Switch is located in closet, then from there wiring will go to master bedroom, 1st bedroom, 2nd bedroom ( these 3 are located on 3rd floor)
Then from closet switch, wires will go to my living area ( 2nd floor) and then from switch to 4th bedroom ( located on 1st floor)

so my plan is to keep my desktop some where in 2nd or 3rd bedroom. then connect it as source and then i will be watching tv in my living room

so the wiring will be from Desktop to Switch , from switch to TV

Please suggest me ideas and a very high end switch as well

Why high end switch? Are you going to be managing the network? Would a low end switch that works suffice?

This is how all of 6 TV's are hooked up using just Ethernet wire, and they are all able to operate independently from each other, yes, able to access all of the content, i.e. Cable and OTA Live and recorded TV, movies, music, pictures, video files... etc...

Network.pdf 106k .pdf file

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

He has two CAT 5e runs to each spot. One wired as Ethernet and the other wired as phone. You would just have to disconnect the phone run from the jack.

post #11 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

today i had a discussion with a networking guy and he said he can go on top of my Attic and install Cat 6 cables across all my 3rd floor 3 bedrooms and to my living room. He mentioned that it would be difficult to install cat 6 cables to the 4th bedroom ( which is located on 1st floor)

so if i go with cat6 cables, do you guys suggest me to go 1 single cable from any of the bedroom located on 3rd floor directly to living room or just go withc at 6 cables connected to switch and then from switch to tv ?
post #12 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Run everything back to a centrally located unmanaged gigabit switch (<$50). Cat5e is plenty good, Cat6 is a more robust cable but over kill for home use. ( I need to get a bag of pop corn and sit back now).biggrin.gif

Netgear GS108 (8 port switch)
post #13 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post

Run everything back to a centrally located unmanaged gigabit switch (<$50). Cat5e is plenty good, Cat6 is a more robust cable but over kill for home use. ( I need to get a bag of pop corn and sit back now).biggrin.gif

Netgear GS108 (8 port switch)

I concur.

10Gig equipment is prohibitively expensive, and will be for a long time. $10,000 for a 10Gig switch? No, thank you.

post #14 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

today i had a discussion with a networking guy and he said he can go on top of my Attic and install Cat 6 cables across all my 3rd floor 3 bedrooms and to my living room. He mentioned that it would be difficult to install cat 6 cables to the 4th bedroom ( which is located on 1st floor)

so if i go with cat6 cables, do you guys suggest me to go 1 single cable from any of the bedroom located on 3rd floor directly to living room or just go withc at 6 cables connected to switch and then from switch to tv ?

You've got two CAT5e drops in each room. Be happy and enjoy it. Technically you would want CAT6a or higher if you are trying to futureproof. What you have now is fine.

post #15 of 37 Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

...10Gig equipment is prohibitively expensive, and will be for a long time. $10,000 for a 10Gig switch? No, thank you.

What is a long time? 1 year or 30 years? Would 10GB come in, fall in price (to the current inflation adjusted price of a 5e) and become obsolete in say the next 30 years?? Will 4K UHD become standard and ubiquitous and then obsolete in the next 30 years?

I have a Cat6 in the house for this exact reason, at least for the next 10-20 years when 10GB and 4K become commonplace, the network infrastructure can keep up. Beyond that I am sure even my PCs will have Jet packs smile.gif
post #16 of 37 Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why not put a small video player in your living room where you want to watch the movies and have it use the LAN to access the files from the desktop? A Raspberry Pi running OpenElec or something similar would work perfectly. Western Digital makes a DLNA player also as do other manufacturers. Or just build an HTPC for the living room.

Bob

HTPC - Built with Assassin Guides

Intel G620 - GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3  - Samsung 830 SSD

Win 7 SP1 32b - G.Skill 4GB - SilverStone Grandia GD04B - Seasonic SS-460FL2 Fanless PSU

post #17 of 37 Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

What is a long time? 1 year or 30 years? Would 10GB come in, fall in price (to the current inflation adjusted price of a 5e) and become obsolete in say the next 30 years?? Will 4K UHD become standard and ubiquitous and then obsolete in the next 30 years?

I have a Cat6 in the house for this exact reason, at least for the next 10-20 years when 10GB and 4K become commonplace, the network infrastructure can keep up. Beyond that I am sure even my PCs will have Jet packs smile.gif

802.3 standard is 12 years old now. Prices are still high. Chances are, that in 30 years, optical fiber, not copper will be more widely used. Besides, current Cat6 wiring is not compliant with Cat6a or Cat7. So, paying more for the current Cat6 wiring will no be any more beneficial than using less expensive high grade Cat5e (solid copper, not aluminum clad copper)

post #18 of 37 Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Fibre will be the norm in 20 years but not likely before that time. Good ole Ethernet is too entrenched and too expensive to switch away from and the network infrastructure industry doesn't want to make things cheaper, ever.
post #19 of 37 Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

as i mentioned i have talked to a person and he said he will be able to add Cat6 cables on my 3rd and 2nd floor. My plan is to have 2 X Cat 6 cables in each room ( Master bedroom, Bedroom1, Bedroom2 and Living area). But all these cables will be connected to switch
Does this plan sounds good or does anyone suggest me to add 2 X cat6 cables directly going from Bedroom 3 to Living area so that i can do HDMI over CAT 6 ?
which one is recommended ?

i am thinking of future once i have kids and both the bedrooms are utilized, then i am thinking of where to keep my HTPC equipment
post #20 of 37 Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd rather have "extender" type devices instead of HDMI connections to a switch. It is almost to the point where you can put a Roku on all secondary TVs and access practically everything you need.

post #21 of 37 Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I'd rather have "extender" type devices instead of HDMI connections to a switch. It is almost to the point where you can put a Roku on all secondary TVs and access practically everything you need.

Exactly, running HDMI cables and HDMI switches is like using cups and string for communication devices where cell phone service is available. It may get the job done with cups and string, but modern tech would work better.

post #22 of 37 Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
As I deal with this on almost a daily occurance Ill chime in - Most HDMI over CAT devices actually require 2 CAT5E or CAT6 lines (one or the other is not required - we use CAT5E STP on a normal basis.) A good quality professional grade unit will cost you about $350 for a transmitter and again for the receiver.
post #23 of 37 Old 04-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I use this to feed my living room setup from my Norco in the basement, considering how inexpensive it is I figured I would give it a try and it works without a single issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LZA95W/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use XBMC but when I need a mouse and keyboard solution I use http://android-remote.com/ with my phone.

Bill
post #24 of 37 Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 PM
G--

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I use this to feed my living room setup from my Norco in the basement, considering how inexpensive it is I figured I would give it a try and it works without a single issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LZA95W/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use XBMC but when I need a mouse and keyboard solution I use http://android-remote.com/ with my phone.

Bill

Just want to point out that these did NOT work for me at 70'. I ended up getting (2) 22 AWG HDMI cables with an repeater placed in between them, this works great for me at 70'.
post #25 of 37 Old 04-16-2014, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the inputs. can you please suggest me whether i should be able to pull 2 direct Cat 6 cables from one of the bedroom directly ( without connecting them to any switch) to Living room or is it ok to connect the cables to a switch in between ?
post #26 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

You can always use a switch to support multiple devices on one wire. There is no reason to put two cat5/6 cables unless you don't want to use switches.
post #27 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:

You can always use a switch to support multiple devices on one wire. There is no reason to put two cat5/6 cables unless you don't want to use switches.

Yes, you can get small 100BTX switches for < $10.
post #28 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Yeah but you can't use one of those to transmit HDMI (which typically requires two Ethernet cables to do)...or can you?

What I don't get is why not just buy/built a low-cost HTPC and just use regular Ethernet instead of trying to run HDMI and trying to control the PC in another room? I dunno makes no sense to me. Also most TVs nowadays have built-in streaming/DLNA capabilities so that might be enough to satisfy the OP's needs too, no?
post #29 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Yeah but you can't use one of those to transmit HDMI (which typically requires two Ethernet cables to do)...or can you?

The new industry standard HDBase-T only requires one cable. The old non-standard adapters typically require two and usually don't work that well.
Quote:
What I don't get is why not just buy/built a low-cost HTPC and just use regular Ethernet instead of trying to run HDMI and trying to control the PC in another room? I dunno makes no sense to me. Also most TVs nowadays have built-in streaming/DLNA capabilities so that might be enough to satisfy the OP's needs too, no?

That's what everyone here is suggesting. I personally will just put extenders on each TV. HDMI over cat5/6 is expensive and doesn't really give you the flexibility of showing different contents on different TVs.
post #30 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious as well on what HDMI runs are going to do for the OP. Every TV is probably going to be stuck watching one thing if you go with the HDMI splitter. To get unique programming through HDMI at a central location you are going to have to get some interesting equipment to make it happen. It is easier to throw an Xbox 360 extender or Roku (running Plex or MediaBrowser 3) at each TV connected with a single Ethernet connection.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page