HTPC video card upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I currently use an i3-2100 (HD 2000 iGPU) in my HTPC on a Biostar MB.  This works OK, but I am considering upgrading to a dedicated GPU and hopefully getting a better sound stream in the process. 

Looking in the sub $50 on Newegg yields some options, and I think a Radeon 5450 6450 is a candidate.  

I would like full HDMI range and good quality audio out to my AVR (lossless?).  I have a collection of BR rips and FLAC that I would like to ensure I am getting the most out of. Card must be low profile, and would like something I have a bit more control over vs the iGPU.

Recommendations?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Core i3-2100 integrated GPU is pretty good. No reason to add a cheap graphics such as Radeon HD 6450. You can switch between limited-range RGB (default, normally you can't change it) and full-range RGB by "NVIDIA & Intel RGB Levels Tweaker" (madLevelsTweaker.exe) included in madVR. You don't have to use madVR video renderer itself.

As for audio, every graphics card is the same. Lossless audio will be modified by Windows Audio Engine unless you use WASAPI exclusive mode. BTW ripping BD with the oriinal audio tracks is recommended. No reason to encode DTS-HD MA / TrueHD to FLAC.
Reply Home Theater Computers