Pretty good Toshiba RMA experience...5tb upgrade!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So its obviously a bit of a mixed feeling when you have a good RMA experience because, lets face it, the product failing in the first place kinda sucks!! But anyways, I bought a Toshiba 3tb external hard drive on sale for $115 about a year and a half ago. I recently started having some issues with my computer not recognizing the drive so I transferred all the data and was about to rip the drive out of the enclosure when I decided to check the receipt. Sure enough, I found that it had a 3 year warranty. I went on to Toshibas site and submitted an RMA. It asked me how I would like to get reimbursed, with a replacement or a credit. I choose credit and to my surprise, was given a credit quote upon approval of $218!! I sent the drive to Toshiba via ups for about $10. I found this http://www.toshiba.com/us/accessories/Storage/Canvio-Desktop-Hard-Drives/5TB/HDWC250XK3J1/xsell?isBTO=false?src=MAKX&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-Linkshare&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-dJUzAfnjVH9wwiUwOQOECg on the Toshiba website, and within 3 days of shipping it back had the credit approved for the RMA. The 5tb drive cost me $2 out of pocket after tax and shipping, so the whole thing cost me about $12 when including the shipping of the unit back to Toshiba. Obviously, I would rather not have a drive crap out, but this was about as good an outcome as I could have expected : ) Lets just hope this new drive holds up better. I don't know of any people that have any yet, but its cool to have that much capacity in one drive!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Though fairly unrelated, this "score" reminds of when I bought my Qnap [2-bay, diskless] NAS as an Open Box model from Newegg. At a price that was about $100 less than the typical selling price for a 100% new one I thought I was getting a good enough deal.

When I got the NAS it was in a box that was clearly shipped to them from Qnap--they had returned the NAS to Newegg after repair or testing or whatever and Newegg just stuck labels over the label Qnap used to ship it back to them and shipped me the same box! I could even see the name of the contact at Newegg that Qnap addressed it to as well as the RMA number or whatever. Newegg probably didn't even look inside or test it themselves. In the box there was just the NAS box and power cable/adapter, pretty much nothing else except Styrofoam and plastic protecting the NAS (if there was even that, I don't remember now).

Anyway I was thinking, "wow this seems rather heavy for a basically empty box with just this little guy in there." Well I pulled open one of the drive trays and low and behold there were already two brand new WD 1TB drives in there! I dunno if this was originally a 2TB (disk-installed) NAS that the Egg RMA'd to Qnap and didn't realize and resold it as a diskless version or if Qnap left them in there accidentally after testing, but either way it was definitely sent to me with the drives in it.

Then when told Newegg about it and they pretty much just reiterated their policy on Open Box sales which was I could return it for a refund if it was within 30 days or just keep what I bought. Well the product certainly worked fine and it came with a bonus two drives in it so needless to say, I kept it!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page