Tv Tuner Card Purchase and Setup Question - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MOV05916.zip 4450k .zip file

I have attached the video ( please unzip it and view the first 5 to 6 seconds)
i dont know how to describe it, but i see that video is not up to mark. but i see the same video is good in my cable HD box
i am not facing this type of issue with other HD channels like AMC or USA
Attached Files
File Type: zip MOV05916.zip (4.35 MB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I do see what looks like a lot of compression. If you're certain your cable box isn't doing the same thing, then I'd start looking at your network. Do you have gigabit routers and switches throughout, and good quality cables and connections? Is your PC connected to your TV, or are you watching through an extender? What are your video card settings (1080p?, color depth?, any filtering or other processing enabled)?
post #63 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

below is my setup info

I have comcast internet. Coxial cable is connected from wall to a 2 way splitter.
1 output is connected to modem and from modem to router ( linksys E4200). I have 4 gigbit ports in the router. Port 1 is connected to a switch( Via Cat 6), Port 2 is connected to hdhomerun Prime( CAt 5e), Port 3 to phone and port 4 to Sony Ps3 ( i guess all these wires are Cat5e cables)
From switch ( 1 Gbps switch) i have connected it to HTPC and three other laptops.
I have connected my HTPC setup to tv via HDMI cable and this is from where I am watching tv via windows media centre)

Since i have HD cable box as well, i am looking for a 3 way splitter. can someone please suggest me a good 3 way splitter or even 4 way splitter ( i am planning to connect it to modem, HD box and Hdprime)
post #64 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I would connect the Homerun to your HTPC switch, not the router, if possible.

A 3-way splitter has another 2-way splitter inside anyway, so I wouldn't bother. You take a 3.5dB hit with every split. So on a 3-way, you'll see one 3.5dB ports and two 7dB because that comes off one leg of a cascaded 2-way.

I would get rid of that cable box eventually or get an amp. But I have more splits than you and don't need an amp.
post #65 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mdavej. so do you think if i keep my Homerun Prime to switch will resolve my issue ?
post #66 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

That's my best guess. Give it a try.
post #67 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You can get a balanced 3-way splitter that has the same loss across all three legs instead of one that has 3.5 dB on one leg and 7dB on the other two. This is the brand Comcast installed in my house and they seem to have wide acceptance among the cable companies.

http://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-BALANCED-DIGITAL-PERFORMANCE-SPLITTER/dp/B00J3HDF3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399946610&sr=8-1&keywords=Extreme+balanced+3-way+splitter

Specs are here:

http://www.extreme-broadband.com/pdfs/Specifications/Digital_Splitters_-_BDS100H-VF.pdf

and descriptions of balanced splitters are here on page 7 of the application manual

http://www.extreme-broadband.com/pdfs/Literature/EBE-ApplicationsManual.pdf

You may need to create a free account to download the PDF files. They state that the insertion loss is 5.5-5.9 dB on each leg, depending on the signal frequency.

I just had one of these delivered today. I haven't hooked it up yet to check the cable modem and HDHR Prime signal quality, but since I only have those three devices and the coax cables are the same length, I don't expect to see the signal quality fall off too badly compared to a 2-way splitter.

(Edit) if you do need an amplifier, try to get one that has a single unamplified output for your cable modem.
post #68 of 74 Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

My cable card status is as below

CableCARD Status
Card Manufacturer Motorola
Card Authentication success
Card Validation success
3DES encryption supported
OOB Frequency 75.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 84% (-9.9 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (38.5 dB)
Channel List cablecard-oob

but still i get video issues with HBO channel
post #69 of 74 Old 05-13-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Your issue is not caused by signal. A weak signal causes pixlation or simply blank video, not blurriness. This is digial, not analog TV.

I can't tell what's wrong with your picture. But if you use a PC to playback HBO directly on your TV, you can encounter two problems:
1. 29/59 bug. HBO channel almost always exhibit this issue. Search 29/59 bug. The typically symptom is contrast goes up and down all the time or a choppy video.
2. Limited vs Full range issue. That's a configuration issue. A mismatch could cause washed out color or too dark of color

As others have already pointed out, you could also be looking at the wrong channels (SD channel vs HD channel). I know some cable boxes can automatically map the HD channel to where the SD channel is if you are connected to an HDTV via HDMI. But a CableCard tuner won't do this. Typically, SD channels are at lower channel numbers and HD channels are at higher channel numbers. For example, my cox system has all SD channels below channel number 1000 and all HD channels above channel number 1000. For most channels, they have both SD and HD channels. Typically you add 1000 to the SD channel to find your HD equivalent.

So, check the channel number on your tuner and compare that to your cable provider's channel line up.
post #70 of 74 Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The only problem I noticed on the picture was by looking at the blue sky and seeing some compression artifacts. The image below isn't rinku's but illustrates what I'm talking about. See the images on the right.

The only things I can think of that would cause this are bit starving either from the cable company or over the LAN, or by some extra compression/processing done by his video driver. I had to rule out the cable company since rinku says his cable box doesn't have the issue. If riku is mistaken about the cable box, then I'd blame the cable company. I agree it has nothing to do with signal strength or splitters or anything like that. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

post #71 of 74 Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SEARCH for 29/59 bug and you'll find how to work around... several HD video cards are less suseptible than others. I found setting my ATi graphics (in CCC) to not use the player but the fixed ones in CCC clears up the jitter.
post #72 of 74 Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all your help.

i upgraded my Intel HD Graphics Card and did the below

Video > Video drop down menu > Image Enhancement > Contrast Enhancement. set it to disabled.
i think everything is working fine now. I just have to test it for few days

Update on the splitter.
I bought a 5-2000 MHZ 3 way splitter from bestbuy and hokked it up to my setup. but i see that Card OOB Lock weak and signal strength was 79%. so i had to revert it back to my original settings. i will return this in bestbuy and will try to get 1-1000 MHZ splitter form Frys tomorrow and will test it

please let me know if anyone has any other options for me
post #73 of 74 Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

Thanks a lot for all your help.

i upgraded my Intel HD Graphics Card and did the below

Video > Video drop down menu > Image Enhancement > Contrast Enhancement. set it to disabled.
i think everything is working fine now. I just have to test it for few days

Update on the splitter.
I bought a 5-2000 MHZ 3 way splitter from bestbuy and hokked it up to my setup. but i see that Card OOB Lock weak and signal strength was 79%. so i had to revert it back to my original settings. i will return this in bestbuy and will try to get 1-1000 MHZ splitter form Frys tomorrow and will test it

please let me know if anyone has any other options for me
Yeah. If the signal quality is 100% then don't worry.
post #74 of 74 Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

I bought 3 way splitter from Frys ( http://www.frys.com/product/7057291) and looks like its working. I see that signal is almost 95% to cable box

But when i see my my cable modem isnt operating

DOCSIS Downstream Channel Acquisition Not started
DOCSIS Ranging Not started
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Not started
Establish Time Of Day Not started
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Not started
Register Connection Not started
Cable Modem Status Offline

but i am getting internet without any issues.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page