User account set up and remote access - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-24-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would like to remotely access my HTPC to tinker with settings, update programs, and do maintenance without interrupting while my wife and kids are watching the TV.

I only have one user account set up on my HTPC. It's the admin account. I can remote in with RDP when I'm on my local LAN, but that logs the current user out. I haven't installed the concurrent RDP hack, because I'm a little uncomfortable that it could mess up the registry. I also haven't set up a dynamic DNS account yet, so I can't remote in reliably. Comcast doesn't give me a static IP.

I installed TeamViewer tonight. It seems to work okay, and it's nice that it's free for personal use on all operating systems, including tablets.. I like that I can use it to access the HTPC remotely when I'm away from home, but it's still evident if someone is watching TV that I'm messing with things, since the cursor is moving around and the WMC controls show up on the screen.

I looked into Splashtop, but the iOS app is not free. I couldn't tell if the Windows clients are free or not.

I'm not looking for a solution that would stream media or live TV (I know that can be done with MB3 or Plex) but really just a way to do maintenance on the PC without interrupting the current user/session.

So my questions are how is everyone else getting remote access to the HTPC to do maintenance, either away from home or on the local LAN? Do you have different user accounts set up? If so, how do you change settings that apply to all accounts? Are you using something other than RDP, TeamViewer, or Splashtop? Is it possible to remotely access the HTPC "invisibly", while someone else is watching TV?

Thanks,
Duncan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Concurrent RDP hack, one account, static IP from ISP. Has no impact on local users at all.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks! I didn't realize that. I thought it just opened up a concurrent session and the user would see the cursor moving around. I installed it and once it finally finished the installation (verification took a long time), it works like a charm.

Now I need to set up dynamic DNS, and maybe a VPN, for access from the road.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page