External USB hard drive recovery - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 4 terabyte usb3 external hard drive that I was storing my bluray iso's on. There are about 2 terabytes of iso's on it. I removed drive from usb enclosure and installed it directly to sata connector in HTPC. Upon booting windows it said the drive needs to be initialized, which I said yes to, then it asked MBR or GPT, and I selected MBR which was wrong, so I converted to GPT. Then it said it needed to be formatted.

I removed drive and put back in USB 3 enclosure and plugged in and windows stated it had to be formatted. Now how do I get my 2 terabytes of Blu ray movies back? I assume that windows mucked up a partition table and does not recognize my original file system. Is there any kind of quick fix? I have tried a recovery program, but it has been running for a day and half and it still is only a 1/3 of the way through in just inspecting hard drive, and it has not found any of my ISO's yet. IS there a way to just rebuild file system? I tried test disk, but at rate it was going it would take over a week.?

Thanks

Dave

Still have not seen Avatar in 3d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-25-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 111
It was not Windows that made the error. It was you. What recovery program did you try? How many partitions did you setup on the drive before you did whatever you did?

You might try the program in the link below. You can try to rebuild the MBR, explore lost partitions or try to recover lost partitions.

The external hard drive should have an MBR partition. Hope you did not do a format.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/

If it works or does not work, let me know. i have one more program that you can try.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I literally just went through a similar issue. The easeus partition recovery did the trick for me on a 3tb drive with about 80% of it filled with mostly blu ray iso's. It took right around 24 hours to find all of the files. My problem was a little more difficult from the beginning. The drive is a wd essentials external drive. The little board that houses the usb and power connectors actually encrypts the data, so when that board crapped out on my ext hd, I had a perfectly good hard drive but could not access it. Long story short, I had to buy another board for $40 and buy easeus partition recovery for $70 in order to save my stuff. Crazy!! I won't be buying another of wd's external drives. I ended up saving my iso's to a different drive then put the wd hard drive inside my case as a bare drive and did a full format that just finished this morning. Everything seems ok with it now but what a pain. I guess its nice to have the recovery program should I need it again later. There is a free version but it only lets you save a few gb's, so I bought the activated version.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I did not realize that WD uses hardware encryption in their usb drives. So to play it safe it seems that we need to backup the usb drives with another usb drive. Seems to be less expensive than the board and the software in case something happens.

A look at the inside of the WD USB drives and repair problems.

http://computersciencelabs.blogspot.com/2010/11/256-bit-based-hardware-encryption-on-wd.html
post #5 of 10 Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

I did not realize that WD uses hardware encryption in their usb drives. So to play it safe it seems that we need to backup the usb drives with another usb drive. Seems to be less expensive than the board and the software in case something happens.

A look at the inside of the WD USB drives and repair problems.

http://computersciencelabs.blogspot.com/2010/11/256-bit-based-hardware-encryption-on-wd.html

Ya, I have another wd usb drive that I was debating transferring everything from and switching to a normal external enclosure when I get a chance. This encryption stuff is just way overkill for 95% of end users and a 100% pain in the ass.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, I am thinking about doing the same thing. I may buy a new external usb 3.0 drive case and a new desktop hard drive and make my own external USB 3.0 unit. The WD My Book I can use to backup my backup.

I could also pull the hard drive from the WD my book and use it in a new enclosure, but use of the My Boo with the backup of a backup plan might be better.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got it working. Thanks guys.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE2 View Post

Got it working. Thanks guys.

What did you end up using?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In the end, I was a complete idiot, I had 2 usb external drives, one had iso's and one was extra with some tv' shows on it. I had nothing on both drives when hooked up to SATA internal, but when I hooked up drive back to usb 3 sata controller, I connected wrong drive . When I used recovery software I was not getting my iso's but some avi tv shows I had on extra drive which I no longer needed.

So I connected adapter to other drive, and poof all my ISO's showed up. Now I am transferring via usb3 adapter to internal drive to avoid WD encryption issue

post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

On the bright side at least you learned something from your experience.

I also learned something. I bought the wrong WD USB 3.0 external drive. Some of the units have hardware encryption, and some do not. I thought that the encryption only worked when you set your password. I obviously was wrong.

My older WD Essentials USB 2.0 drive is not encrypted, so I am safe there.

New WD drives here.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/desktop/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page