Possible Bad News for CableCARD users on Charter (YMMV, based on where you live, I suppose) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
It would seem that there's some winners and some losers in this deal. Charter customers that get moved into ComCrap (ME?!) are obvious losers. Charter provides good consistent service with pricing that is also consistent and predictable, especially for CableCARD users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post

Charter and Comcast reach agreement on divestitures

Charter Communications and Comcast announced a three-step deal involving some current Charter, Time Warner Cable, and Comcast systems, subject to a successful closure of the Time Warner-Comcast merger.

According to a press release (Charter, Comcast) and a news item at DSLReports the agreement includes the following:

Comcast will sell to Charter for cash current Time Warner systems serving approximately 1.4 million subscribers;

Charter will swap systems serving approximately 1.6 million subscribers in exchange for current Time Warner systems serving approximately the same number of subscribers;

Certain current Comcast systems, serving about 2.5 million subscribers will be spun off into a separate company ("SpinCo") which will be 67% owned by Comcast shareholders, but operated by 33% owner "New Charter", a new holding company which will also own Charter Communications, and in which Comcast shareholders will have a 13% ownership interest. Comcast will have no ownership interest in SpinCo and will have no management or operational role whatsoever in the new company.

The above transactions will increase Charter's footprint from 4.4 million subscribers to 5.7 million, plus management of the SpinCo systems.

According to the DSLReports article:

The Comcast systems to be sold or traded to Charter are located in Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Alabama;

The systems Charter is trading to Comcast are located in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, California, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Maryland, and some areas in other states which are adjacent to current Time Warner and Comcast systems which will be part of the post-merger Comcast.

The Comcast systems to be spun off into SpinCo are located in Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Alabama.

An investor presentation is available here: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjMxMTEyfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Here is a map of Charter's proposed footprint, post--TWC-Comcast merger.

Dark blue: Current Charter systems remaining in the new Charter footprint
Medium blue: Current Time Warner Cable systems to be taken over by Charter
Orange: Current Comcast systems to be spun off into new company
Charter systems not shown will become Comcast systems.

Post-merger Charter footprint

http://www.avsforum.com/t/903396/charter-hdtv/3540#post_24660490

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
That map is kind of funky, it looks like if your area ISN'T marked on the map, you're gonna go to Comcast eek.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've never had issues with CableCard and Comcast (as long as you find the right person to talk to when you activate your card).

I certainly would never give Comcast any awards for anything, but besides pricing, I haven't had many issues.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

I've never had issues with CableCard and Comcast (as long as you find the right person to talk to when you activate your card).

I certainly would never give Comcast any awards for anything, but besides pricing, I haven't had many issues.

Pretty much this.  The only thing I know of that has copy protection issues are the premium movie channels.  I don't know what your prices are now, but comcast's are usually pretty ******, and their billing support is the absolute worst thing ever.  I'm almost scared to call them in some instances because I think they might decide to raise how much I pay (it's happened to my father).  The on site tech I had come out was good though, that I will say.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Looks like I'll be moving to Charter. Sweet!

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Is all part of their "cut the cord" promotion. They just aren't aware they're promoting it.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Comcast is great. Now you'll be able to leverage ServerWMC in MB3s web client (and whenever it makes its way to mbt) as well as many other combinations of front-ends and pvr backends
post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

It would seem that there's some winners and some losers in this deal. Charter customers that get moved into ComCrap (ME?!) are obvious losers. Charter provides good consistent service with pricing that is also consistent and predictable, especially for CableCARD users.
I'm not following how Charter changing to Comcast is a detriment to Cablecard users, other than the bogus additional outlet fees that Comcast likes to charge (sometimes, YMMV) for extra cards. The service, pricing, lack of copy protection etc. should all be pretty much the same.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I've had zero issues with Comcast since switching to a networked CableCard tuner setup. I picked my card up at the local office, activated over the phone and I've been running fine since, over 2 years now. I've got my phone via Ooma and a double-play package that's kept my price stable for the past two years also. I've also had pretty good customer service by using the one-line chat instead of calling. -- no difficulties understanding accents, etc. when you're typing.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It looks like I'll be getting the new "SpinCo" spinoff company here in Minneapolis if this deal goes through.

I really hope the FCC squashes the merger anyway.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-30-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see Hawaii isn't even on the map. We have this weird thing that's called Oceanic Time Warner Cable. IT's Time Warner Cable, but all the support (call center included) are local. I guess we'll end up as Oceanic Comcast, but I really thought we would get spun off as part of the merger.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page