If you could improve or change one thing about your favorite front end what would it be ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Ok it's nice to dream right ? So what would you change or improve ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wish XBMC had a better interface for interacting with the PVR schedule functions. You can't do anything but basic recording schedules, and the list of upcoming items is almost completely useless to me. I use ArgusTV, so I just end up doing all that via the web interface Argus provides.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Team Xbmc is so worried about dumbing stuff down for the novice user for the upcoming Arkham release but they forgot one critical feature.
You can currently modify button/keymaps by editing the xml file manually but there is no way to easily do it inside the program.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
give support high quality video/audio in xbmc closer to the likes of madvr

better advanced buffering options, this can be customized in gotham, but it isn't dynamic, so 1 setting which works for dvd quality will cause Blu-ray to stutter because the bit rate is too high, why wont it just not buffer as much if it cant handle it.

I know its 2 but still smile.gif otherwise xbmc is extremely good

post #5 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wish mb 3 did full 3D, and you could share servers easily like PLEX

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17

XBMC needs JINC added and better diagnostics information.  I'd also like to see more/better addons for it, it'd be really nice to be able to use amazon prime within XBMC (I realize the biggest problem with this is due to amazon's DRM).

post #7 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I use plane jane WMC, so being able to switch and play 24p automagically is something I'm disappointed doesn't work.

I'm fine without it now, but when I finally can use a projector that will probably cause me to move away from WMC. I figure I will have two boxes connected ot the projector - a small pc for movies and an Xbox 360 for games and television.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I also wish MB3 had a sync feature where you could sync or share media with friends.

-

post #9 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Improve my front-end? That's easy: Bigger with more umph and can play at full level for hours. Oh wait, this is about electronics and speakers? Never mind...
post #10 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I use plane jane WMC, so being able to switch and play 24p automagically is something I'm disappointed doesn't work.

I'm fine without it now, but when I finally can use a projector that will probably cause me to move away from WMC. I figure I will have two boxes connected ot the projector - a small pc for movies and an Xbox 360 for games and television.

Well, there's ways to make it work within WMC. I use the Media Browser plugin in WMC, and MPC-HC as the player. MPC-HC has a built in resolution/framerate "automagic" switcher... smile.gif works like a charm. I use it in my basement theater with a Mitsubishi HC3800.

Edit: Sorry, MPC-HC is configured to use MadVR, and MadVR has the "automagic" framerate/resolution switcher. Still works like a charm.
post #11 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 248
WMC: Support PiP/video-wall functionality. That, or native Bluray support.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #12 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd like if Media Browser 3 (which I view from Media Center) had better ability to handle recorded TV, classify it correctly, etc, instead of just showing a collection of files.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

WMC: Support PiP/video-wall functionality.
absolutely yes. that would be such a great feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

native Bluray support.
a few years ago I would have paid a ton for this. now we'd be stuck with cinavia though, which would make the player worthless for archived media.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #14 of 29 Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 133
XBMC with native madVR support. Probably won't ever happen, unless it's added to the hacked together DSPlayer builds. madshi was willing to add it to XBMC at one time but they wouldn't work with him because they would have to change too much code to get it to work (boo-hoo).
post #15 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

XBMC with native madVR support. Probably won't ever happen, unless it's added to the hacked together DSPlayer builds. madshi was willing to add it to XBMC at one time but they wouldn't work with him because they would have to change too much code to get it to work (boo-hoo).

Yeah never say never, but that being said it's never going to happen wink.gif

Xbmc is more focused on multi platform compatibility using open source libs where possible and code where necessary. Madvr only works in windows, but honestly I'm not sure why. I heard it was because it's written to make use of d3d, but I don't know enough to know if that's true

My wish would be that xbmc had a dedicated server application with transcoding and a better integrated game browsing experience. There is already work on the game part and they keep saying the server part will come.

MB3 and xbmc integrate quite nicely at the moment, so the only thing on the wish list that has no eta would be

Ffmpeg to add MVC support which would trickle down to xbmc expanding 3d support to MVC
post #16 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

3D support is on everyone's list wink.gif

-

post #17 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 203
Quote:

XBMC with native madVR support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

My wish would be that xbmc had a dedicated server application with transcoding and a better integrated game browsing experience.

Have you considered JRiver?
post #18 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Well, when I say a dedicated server I really mean either it can run as a windows service or in a linux environment (like Plex or MB3). XBMC already has built in upnp/dlna, but for my devices that isn't very useful

To answer though, I've not considered jriver. How does it handle the following
  • MVC mkv or iso
  • game browsing (retro arch? windows games? steam?)
  • centralized metadata management
post #19 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Jriver needs to split into clients (like for ipad, android, kindle, laptop/htpc, Roku, linux USB streamer box option) and a "server" that can transcode and manage meta data for it to compete in today's environment of device divergence. It also needs a boost in the eye candy department. If the developer was smart they would try to team with the MB3 project guys and figure out if they could get Jriver to run off that to pick up some of those features. I think the attraction of Jriver is that is has awesome audio and video quality and a high level of focus on that - so for a dedicated HTPC people like that. If you have a good system and want to get the most out of your media Jriver has an attraction, and if you are not so PC oriented there is major advantage in having a single roof that hold it all and is easy to install and set up.

The problem is what happens when you want to do other stuff ? You need to run a second solution like PLEX and MB to support your tablets, phones, roku or whatever...

It would be cool if Jriver was able to work with those solutions, so you could enjoy it on the main system but still enjoy your media on your other devices and it all worked well together and utilized a consistent solution. The scraper in MB3 and the organization elements are light years better than Jriver (or plex or XBMC) and at least for XBMC and MB they both look nicer too (my opinion) XBMC does not support Madvr and external players suck. MB3 Theater does but it's beta so it lacks that final polished feel to it still.

Jriver is really good at what it does well- but it kinda sucks at some of the other stuff. Just like all the other front ends have their own good and bad. I wish I could combine the eye candy of XBMC/MB3 with the audio and video quality of Jriver, the media managment, plugin support and advanced features of MBserver, and the easy to set up style of PLEX, especially for sharing media libraries and remote access. That would be the best of everything.

-

post #20 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You need to run a second solution like PLEX and MB to support your tablets, phones, roku or whatever...
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo
post #21 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's only android though right ? ( I'm not an android fan )

-

post #22 of 29 Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

I've tried it, but I don't "get it" at all, and I'm not computer illiterate. XBMC is straight forward, easy to use, and has a ton of addons that I use. JRiver was like using itunes, I really didn't know what the hell I was doing.
Quote:

XBMC does not support Madvr and external players suck.
Not really. Sure I would rather have madVR implemented into the XBMC interface, but there's nothing really different about using MPC-HC for playback rather than XBMC. As soon as you hit play the video starts fullscreen, and as soon as it ends or you stop it you are right back in the XBMC interface. I thought I would hate it at first too, but it's really irrelevant for me. You wouldn't even know the difference if it weren't for the split second you see the desktop when switching.
post #23 of 29 Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 AM

Liked: 10

Too much want to achieve, so where should I start?

post #24 of 29 Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WebGizmo
post #25 of 29 Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 203
Quote:

Well, when I say a dedicated server I really mean either it can run as a windows service or in a linux environment (like Plex or MB3). XBMC already has built in upnp/dlna, but for my devices that isn't very useful
There's no option to run as a service, but Media Server can be set to run in the tray.
Linux is in beta and just for audio playback right now.
UPnP etc. is all built in. The app can connect to any other PC running JRiver as a client if you want to stream media.
Quote:

MVC mkv or iso
Well I know that madVR lacks 3D playback support right now, so if you need 3D playback, it has to be launched in a separate player - though this can be done through the Theater View front-end.
Quote:

game browsing (retro arch? windows games? steam?)
You can add any file types that you like to the JRiver library: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78049.0

Details on how he achieved this are further down in the topic.
I use Steam as my front-end for games, and leave JRiver for audio and video.
Quote:

centralized metadata management
Well a lot of people mean different things when they talk about metadata. But the tagging and organizational tools are extensive.
There is also the expression language you can use which - once learned - will let you do some really advanced manipulation of this data with ease.
Of course there are simpler tools built in to do things like "clean file properties" etc. (fixing ALL CAPS data for example)
Quote:

JRemote will stream audio to iOS (or act as a remote) and plays any MP4/M4V files that are natively supported by the device.
Transcoding video isn't supported with JRemote yet. They did just acquire the developer, so I would hope that's coming in the future.

There are some iOS apps which support DLNA though (e.g. nPlayer) and that seemed to play transcoded video without any problems, other than me not liking the nPlayer UI. But I only did a very quick test with that app.
WebGizmo basically lets you use the Android App's interface in any web browser. (and if you use an access key, you can connect to your PC from any computer)
Quote:

The scraper in MB3 and the organization elements are light years better than Jriver (or plex or XBMC)
You can organize things basically however you want them to work in JRiver.
I don't know how the metadata sources compare to MB3 - I've been perfectly happy with the TMDB/TVDB/RottenTomatoes information it pulls for my videos.
Quote:

I've tried it, but I don't "get it" at all, and I'm not computer illiterate. XBMC is straight forward, easy to use, and has a ton of addons that I use. JRiver was like using itunes, I really didn't know what the hell I was doing.
You won't get any disagreement from me - the initial learning curve can be a bit steep. It all depends on what you're used to. Once you get over that, you see just how customizable the program is.
I would start by pointing it at some video files to import, and go straight into Theater View from the view menu (or hit CTRL+4) to see how you get on from there. There's plenty of help to be found over on the JRiver forums if you get stuck.
|Tch0rT| likes this.
post #26 of 29 Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wish there was shared server features with sync feature so you could add content from on server on another (or client).

-

post #27 of 29 Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Liked: 72
Quote:

Sure I would rather have madVR implemented into the XBMC interface, but there's nothing really different about using MPC-HC for playback rather than XBMC. As soon as you hit play the video starts fullscreen, and as soon as it ends or you stop it you are right back in the XBMC interface. I thought I would hate it at first too, but it's really irrelevant for me. You wouldn't even know the difference if it weren't for the split second you see the desktop when switching.

MadVR in XBMC was going to be my comment too and since I'm also looking at setting up MPC-HC as an external player I'm curious if anyone knows if you can set up the script to launch the external player only for some movies but not others? ie. if I want to launch it for DVDs for upscaling to 1080p but I want use XBMC's player for blurays so I don't lose the ability to resume those in the middle, can I do that? From what I've read here MadVR is not really going to provide much of a boost to 1080 content you're watching on a 1080 screen and if that's the case it seems pointless to use it at all for blurays and lose resume in the process (especially if you're like me and like to watch particularly long movies like Heaven's Gate, Giant, or Cleopatra over multiple sittings). So I'd appreciate any input on that.
post #28 of 29 Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

MadVR in XBMC was going to be my comment too and since I'm also looking at setting up MPC-HC as an external player I'm curious if anyone knows if you can set up the script to launch the external player only for some movies but not others? ie. if I want to launch it for DVDs for upscaling to 1080p but I want use XBMC's player for blurays so I don't lose the ability to resume those in the middle, can I do that? From what I've read here MadVR is not really going to provide much of a boost to 1080 content you're watching on a 1080 screen and if that's the case it seems pointless to use it at all for blurays and lose resume in the process (especially if you're like me and like to watch particularly long movies like Heaven's Gate, Giant, or Cleopatra over multiple sittings). So I'd appreciate any input on that.
Yes, you can customize which files get launched with the external player. MPC-HC also saves your recent resume statuses, although not indefinitely like the XBMC player.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=External_players
post #29 of 29 Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Probably not a huge deal for blu-rays (I've honestly never bothered to test) but madvr does offer things such as diffusion (helps depending on how old your TV is in regards to bit depth), high bit color conversion, etc.

But yes, if you wanted it to perform this way you would have to add something along these lines to the rule:

videoresolution="480|540|720"

and from personal experience, if you use any xbmc addons for video involving internet sources (like the south park or youtube addons) you'll want this too:

internetstream="false"

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page