Is the lack of HTPC traffic in the forum these days due to the lack of PC deals, and stagnant component market ? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Seems like no new tech is exciting, and there is not any good deals on PC components recently. What is on the horizon that might change this?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I don't know. The BayTrail-D stuff is causing some buzz. Maybe everyone else is busy buying an Amazon Fire TV.

post #3 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My thought is it's a sign of maturity in the market or lack of innovation. My HTPC is still my DVR for OTA TV and DVD/Bluray player. Other than that I have moved the media I own to iTunes/iPod/Apple TV because it's the solution i have found that allows me access to what I want where I want without a lot of hassle.

Basically what my HTPC does has not changed in years and I have a +4 year old PC that was mid range when I built it and still meets my needs.
post #4 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Who would you presume the target market of a home theater computer to be?

-Streaming options are erroding. I liked the idea of cramming Netflix, Xfinity on Demand, Hulu, and HBO Go into WMC. But I found over the winter that I like actually using them better on my Xbox 360. The quality is better and they are easier to navigate.

-The DVR market is stagnant. Despite some of the best home theater DVR hardware released in the recent past, the software has not been updated. Windows Media Center is your only guaranteed option for cable tv. WMC works well at what it does but if it were rewritten today it would look a bit different and include a lot more features.

-Bluray playback has been significantly diminished by DRM, Cinavia and lack of player choices. It never worked the way DVD does.

-There are a number of hardware video players with a wide gamut of features, some being better than others. If your source of movie files isn't on a disc these are much cheaper or you may already own one (smart tv, game console).

-Less people have desktop computers with media stored on them. Plugging a laptop or tablet into a tv is not very convienent but it's much easier than trying to rig a desktop across your home. So its at least a possibilty. And its cheaper than buying another device to do what your gear is technically capable of.

A computer that plugs into a tv is so much easier to whip up now than just 4 or 5 years ago. You can go buy a PC at Best Buy for $350 and while it might not be ideal it can certainly be configured to play bluray or cable tv pretty easily. MPEG2, VC1, and H264 are all supported by integrated graphics and every video card. Bitstreaming HD audio is guaranteed now. You don't need an exceptionally powerful machine to play HD video anymore.

I think the move to HEVC and 4k broadcasting will bring the next major shift in how computers can be used in the living room.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I expect this forum to be a ghost Town after tomorrow.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
post #6 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I"ll bite...
What's tomorrow?
post #7 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by naednek View Post

I"ll bite...
What's tomorrow?
I'm guessing Mfusik and his wife have their twins.
post #8 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm excited biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My latest HTPC build has been put on hold because Silverstone is taking forever to release the GD10. It was supposed to be released in March, then I heard something about April... Still waiting and growing impatient.
post #10 of 45 Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm not asking many HTCP questions right now, mainly because I'm at a stable place at the moment. My HTPC is pretty stable, except for a sound issue I'm hoping will be fixed this weekend with a bios flash and a new driver. I'm not doing much tweaking at the moment. My HTPC, xbox extenders, and network infrastructure are less than a year old, so not much upgrading either, unless SD releases the 6-tuner HDHomeRun Prime. I'm mostly lurking and living vicariously through you guys while I research other things I don't know much about, like repurposing an old server and an old NAS, building a new server, virtualization, roll-your own firewall and VPN, etc., etc., etc. Too much to learn and not enough time or money.
post #11 of 45 Old 05-09-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Mfusick is getting withdrawal symptoms ...me thinks...wink.gif
StinDaWg and Djoel like this.
post #12 of 45 Old 05-09-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

I think the issue he's having is all the talk is about sub-2.0GHz CPUs in systems that use less than 20W and not Core i7 mega HTPC builds biggrin.gif

post #13 of 45 Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Lol biggrin.gif

-

post #14 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I don’t have any questions because the HTPC is working just fine. I try to contribute where I can. However I’m using the HTPC primarily as an OTA DVR with WMC7. So I’m out of the loop when questions are asked about CableCards, madVR, codecs, servers, etc. IOW my input is limited.
post #15 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 233
No questions or concerns here either. All three of my HTPCs are stable and working fine. I upgraded the two satellite HTPCs to Intel NUCs about 4-5 months ago and so far they're working great. My latest hardware upgrade for the main HTPC has been swapping out two InfiiTV 4's for a single InfiniTV 6.

I've got lots of other things that keep me occupied besides HTPCs. I've been playing around a lot with pfSense on a home brew router. I've already got it set up on an old PC made out of spare parts. I've also got it installed on an Alix SBC and several Watchguard Fireboxes. At some point I've got to find the time to get it working with my Private Internet Access VPN account.

Now that it's officially springtime I'll be doing a lot more chores outside. I've already mowed my lawn three times so far and plan on doing it again today.
post #16 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This forum used to be alive with WMC discussions, as that was the predominant choice for a dedicated HTPC. Many still use it, but mainly on Windows 7. Windows 8 w/WMC is an expensive option, so hasn't gained much traction. As WMC is being developed on neither platform anymore, most have 'working' solutions that just do what they do. Nobody's really tweaking anymore (if they don't need to) - most questions are how to get things working. Not many noobs looking to setup HTPC's now either - there are just too many other choices out there that are far easier to setup and use these days. Even MB is breaking out of the confines of WMC, realising it's a dying platform. XBMC is an active community - but has some limitations (Live TV for example). JRiver has a small but vocal crowd, but this is a $$ solution.

I think for most, the only light that might save the PC in the living room is Media Browser 3. This really sounds like it could finally replace WMC as an 'all in one' solution. I, and many others, are watching this closely. It's still in BETA, but looking very promising. For most, the day MS decide to pull the guide updates will be the end of WMC. It's still a brilliant, slick solution for Live TV, but with streaming and catch-up TV taking off big time, even that could be something people use less and less of. A real shame - you can see that WMC was the grandaddy of Windows 8 Metro, but MS decided to take this in an entirely different direction.
post #17 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

JRiver has a small but vocal crowd, but this is a $$ solution.
It always amazes me that people are willing to spend thousands on PC hardware and yet a $50 piece of software to handle all their library management and media playback is too expensive.
steelman1991 likes this.
post #18 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

It always amazes me that people are willing to spend thousands on PC hardware and yet a $50 piece of software to handle all their library management and media playback is too expensive.

Ding Ding Ding...Give that man a beer. smile.gif

And now you know why Apple sells integrated hardware/software, instead of just software and vehemently opposes anybody selling OEM hardware for Macs. The "perceived" value is in the hardware, not software, although the software (and services) is what makes it work. Microsoft....take note.

Oh, and Apple recently made their latest OS (Mavericks) absolutely free. Shocker! smile.gif Microsoft....take note.

<<rant>> While Apple made Mavericks free, you still don't have an "approved" procedure of installing it on non-Apple hardware. Now, granted, Apple made it free FOR Mac users, who had to pay for upgrades to OSs before (but so did people on Microsoft Windows), and doesn't really approve installing their OS on non-Apple hardware. I'd still love to see the day, where Apple gives you an ISO download that you can burn and just install. <</rant>>
post #19 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think the mass market excitement for HTPCs is gone. Through a combination of alternative solutions (cheap streamers, smart TVs and Blu Ray players with better compatibility), the lack of progress of the WMC environment (software, remotes, etc), and the advent of tablets and smart phones, it has become a niche market. DRM also remains a major issue.

On the positive side, what we have today works failry well (I remember the days of trying to get DVDs and then HDTV tuners to work on HTPCs). There is no need for cutting edge hardware for most applications.

HTPCs remain the best solution for niche uses (calibrated 3Dluts/and quality upscaling for video projectors and the like, using solutions such as Madvr, at great price and with improving results), but this is a very small market. Interest for 3D has been limited and is now nearly gone, and I'm not sure how 4K will fare.

In terms of exciting new developments, Media Browser (with MadVR, etc.) seems to be the main game in town (It's great, but there is less activity than in the old days of Meedio, WMC, ffdshow, Girder, XBMC, extenders, etc.). I also guess that the old timers have moved on to new hobbies and family occupations, while the younger generations are more into laptops and portable technology.
post #20 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post

I also guess that the old timers have moved on to new hobbies and family occupations, while the younger generations are more into laptops and portable technology.
I guess I'm one of the "old timers". Back in the day, I used to frequent this forum because there was so much tweaking and hacking you had to do to get things working. Now, you buy a $250 nettop. add an SSD, XBMC or WMC and you've got a complete HTPC with 1080P HD playback and HD audio passthru. We used to spend days getting those features working on a PC assembled by hand with $800+ in parts. There's just not as much to discuss now.

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
post #21 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have HTPCs all over the house. They all work fine. I use a Ceton and WMC for TV... JRiver for audio. Newest technology is a SandyBrige oldest first Gen i3. All W7. It works well enough, could work better but it is too much hassle to reconfigure it. If the box with the Ceton ever goes down I will switch to an HD Homerun that has been sitting here in the unopened box for a year. Yea I could go to Intel NUCs but really I can't save enough electricity or space to justify the expense or effort.

Mits WD-92840 92" DLP - Lumagen Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s, Ascend Sierra 2s
Older 58" Panny Plasma -DVDO DUO, JBL Studio 530
Pioneer AJs, PSB Images, Usher S520, JBL HLS-610, Definitive SM45, MusicHall Marimba
post #22 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Perhaps more people are just having twins ...

-

post #23 of 45 Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I don't know. The BayTrail-D stuff is causing some buzz. Maybe everyone else is busy buying an Amazon Fire TV.

The Amazon Fire TV does look pretty great, basically with streaming taking over eventually that type of thing is all everybody will be using.

PS   dont tell comcast

post #24 of 45 Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

This forum used to be alive with WMC discussions, as that was the predominant choice for a dedicated HTPC. Many still use it, but mainly on Windows 7. Windows 8 w/WMC is an expensive option, so hasn't gained much traction. As WMC is being developed on neither platform anymore, most have 'working' solutions that just do what they do. Nobody's really tweaking anymore (if they don't need to) - most questions are how to get things working. Not many noobs looking to setup HTPC's now either - there are just too many other choices out there that are far easier to setup and use these days. Even MB is breaking out of the confines of WMC, realising it's a dying platform. XBMC is an active community - but has some limitations (Live TV for example). JRiver has a small but vocal crowd, but this is a $$ solution.

I think for most, the only light that might save the PC in the living room is Media Browser 3. This really sounds like it could finally replace WMC as an 'all in one' solution. I, and many others, are watching this closely. It's still in BETA, but looking very promising. For most, the day MS decide to pull the guide updates will be the end of WMC. It's still a brilliant, slick solution for Live TV, but with streaming and catch-up TV taking off big time, even that could be something people use less and less of. A real shame - you can see that WMC was the grandaddy of Windows 8 Metro, but MS decided to take this in an entirely different direction.

Isn't MB3 using the same server software as XBMC (ServerWMC) to get Live TV displayed within the MB3 software? If so then XBMC has a nice reliable Live TV solution, where you need only one windows computer on the network with the ServerWMC software running on it then you can have a mix and match of Linux and Mac computers on the network that get their Live TV streams from the windows computer.

Here is my take on the whole HTPC forum lacking traffic. I am more a lurker here than a poster and I am relatively new to the HTPC world. I've always wanted to run a HTPC but didn't have the money to build one or a remote I could use with an old laptop. I finally dove head first in it this past winter with buying a remote, HDMI cable, Ceton cable card and using a desktop I never use and I haven't looked back since. Like a few users have said before, Hardware is no longer a problem. You can buy a cheap $250 computer, install the sotfware and boom you're up and running and watching 1080p content without a problem. Everything is about the software now.

I've never been on the mindset of greating a HTPC to be a computer that manages my media. I've been of the mindset that I am building an appliance to replace another appliance. I hated my Comcast box (Scientific Atlantic P.O.S. box) and wanted to replace it with something more stylish and whole home media functionality. I try to fully live in the XBMC and will only exit out to the windows environment if there is something wrong. I see more question asked across the HTPC Webosphere about integration of multiple pieces of software and making the HTPC appliance like then I do a getting a basic function working or just getting the main interface up and running. Yea cheap streamers like Android Fire and Roku's will kill the HTPC world and Cable, which is said and will make it even harder for me to get that nicely integrated media experience package that I have worked hard to create.

I also notice that this forum is all about WMC and MB. I haven't seen any mentioning of the release of XBMC 13.0 Gotham here. Granted I know people want reliablity here and WMC give you that, can't say for MB as I have never used it but if its integrated into WMC then I would assume it realitively stable.

This is just my 0.02.
post #25 of 45 Old 05-11-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Krogue View Post

; dont tell comcast

Don't worry. They're already planning on how they're going to charge based on your internet usage. Cable companies may be short sighted, but they know how to squeeze more money out of us.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
post #26 of 45 Old 05-11-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Krogue View Post

The Amazon Fire TV does look pretty great, basically with streaming taking over eventually that type of thing is all everybody will be using.

PS   dont tell comcast

The Fire TV uses a Bluetooth remote, which is a non-starter for me, since I'm controlling everything with a universal IR remote. I don't need another remote to have to deal with.
post #27 of 45 Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What the heck is Amazon TV anways ? Why would I want that over a ROKU ?

-

post #28 of 45 Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Z97 is here and no one seems to care much... How come?

-

post #29 of 45 Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What the heck is Amazon TV anways ? Why would I want that over a ROKU ?
I think Amazon runs Android, opening up several more possibilities for apps and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Z97 is here and no one seems to care much... How come?
Very cool, but how does it improve my HTPC experience? I can already do everything I need on 6 year old hardware that costs next to nothing.
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #30 of 45 Old 05-16-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page