I have the house to myself this weekend. What HTPC project should I tackle? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: So what should I do this weekend?
-simply reinstall my disc image and keep things going the way I'm used to them? 0 0%
-reinstall everything from scratch but set it up the same way. I don't upgrade a lot of plugins and tools often, so there are probably a lot of new versions of things that I could be downloading and installing. 1 7.69%
-start from scratch and install Media Browser Classic, losing my customized menu screen? 0 0%
-really get silly and try Media Browser Theater or XBMC w/ ServerWMC? Would one of those and ServerWMC interface with my extenders, meaning a series set with XBMC will show up in my extender's recorded tv menu? Do either support optical disc playback and launching external software? 1 7.69%
-don't do anything but watch movies, order a pizza, and drink beer 11 84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
A little current info on my setup: I have an HTPC in my family room running Windows 7 Media Center, Media Browser 2.6 (with Game Browser), and a Plex server. The PC has a cablecard tuner and my only copy protected channel is HBO.

In my bedroom I have a Plex client (Google TV) and a WMC extender.

After initially setting up my HTPC and installing plugins I created an image. I have run this more less the same way for exactly 2 years

I'd like to do some spring cleaning on my HTPC this weekend. At minimum I'm going to reinstall my image which would only lose me a few HBO recordings. I'd get a clean registry with all the codecs and plugins set up already.

I don't use the Media Browser Enhanced Home Screen at all - I completely bypass it with direct entry from WMC to my various libraries.

Media Browser 3 torpedoed that functionality and that is why I've never upgraded. Over the last week I've started getting weird warnings inside Media Browser and I'm afraid they are going to break my Game Browser plug in. So now I'm [mildly] warming up to the idea of MB3.

So what should I do this weekend?

-simply reinstall my disc image and keep things going the way I'm used to them?

-reinstall everything from scratch but set it up the same way. I don't upgrade a lot of plugins and tools often, so there are probably a lot of new versions of things that I could be downloading and installing.

-start from scratch and install Media Browser Classic, losing my customized menu screen?

-really get silly and try Media Browser Theater or XBMC w/ ServerWMC? Would one of those and ServerWMC interface with my extenders, meaning a series set with XBMC will show up in my extender's recorded tv menu? Do either support optical disc playback and launching external software?

-don't do anything but watch movies, order a pizza, and drink beer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 79
One vote for option E. Doing work is overrated. tongue.gif

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Gotta go with E also. Sometimes we just gotta sit back and enjoy. Although you probably will still do something once you get a little restless.
pittsoccer33 likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yep, gotta go with E.
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
E for sure. My wife's going to be out of town a couple days next week so I've been running through the same thoughts. Then I remembered that I probably have at least 100 movies that I never get a chance to watch when she's around so my plan is to sit back with a growler of beer and a bucket of popcorn and enjoy some of those instead.

Turn your living room into your man cave and kick your feet up. You'll be glad you did.
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

my plan is to sit back with a growler of beer

Any recommendation?

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #7 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Any recommendation?

Well I'm spoiled where I live because we just had a Sierra Nevada tasting room open up a few blocks away. I'm a big IPA fan so I'll either get a growler of Torpedo or if they've got a limited release IPA on tap that tastes even better I'll go with that instead. (When they first opened around Thanksgiving they had a rye barrel aged Torpedo that was friggin awesome but it turned out it was just a special release for their opening and they haven't had it again since).

Is Steel City Brewing any good, or anywhere near you? Always go with a good local brew if you've got one.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

One vote for option E. Doing work is overrated. tongue.gif

This.

Enjoy it.
pittsoccer33 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I usually choose option F. Plan several big projects in excruciating detail, then spend the rest of the weekend procrastinating and not dong them!

(Edit) You can do this and still do E as well!
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Since you have a good image in case things go bad, I would give XBMC/ServerWMC a shot. I think you'll be surprised how much you like it. Your extenders will still access the WMC fine.
P.S. No reason you can't add beer to the mix!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

A little current info on my setup: I have an HTPC in my family room running Windows 7 Media Center, Media Browser 2.6 (with Game Browser), and a Plex server. The PC has a cablecard tuner and my only copy protected channel is HBO.

In my bedroom I have a Plex client (Google TV) and a WMC extender.

After initially setting up my HTPC and installing plugins I created an image. I have run this more less the same way for exactly 2 years

I'd like to do some spring cleaning on my HTPC this weekend. At minimum I'm going to reinstall my image which would only lose me a few HBO recordings. I'd get a clean registry with all the codecs and plugins set up already.

I don't use the Media Browser Enhanced Home Screen at all - I completely bypass it with direct entry from WMC to my various libraries.

Media Browser 3 torpedoed that functionality and that is why I've never upgraded. Over the last week I've started getting weird warnings inside Media Browser and I'm afraid they are going to break my Game Browser plug in. So now I'm [mildly] warming up to the idea of MB3.

So what should I do this weekend?

-simply reinstall my disc image and keep things going the way I'm used to them?

-reinstall everything from scratch but set it up the same way. I don't upgrade a lot of plugins and tools often, so there are probably a lot of new versions of things that I could be downloading and installing.

-start from scratch and install Media Browser Classic, losing my customized menu screen?

-really get silly and try Media Browser Theater or XBMC w/ ServerWMC? Would one of those and ServerWMC interface with my extenders, meaning a series set with XBMC will show up in my extender's recorded tv menu? Do either support optical disc playback and launching external software?

-don't do anything but watch movies, order a pizza, and drink beer

E, take some 'me time' for yourself.

If you insist on another choice, then since you have a disc image try D. You can easily revert if you hate it.
pittsoccer33 likes this.

Looky here!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page