MeediOS Cairo Beta - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

(...with apologies to those without a sense of humour. *grin*)
In there beginning, there was radio. Though it did enthrall the easily amused, they longed for plentiful visuals. And radio begat television, which begat obese children and dinners wrapped in foil which could be reheated. Yet, within the glory of TV, Satan did thrive. A plague befouled the land: Twixt every six minutes of enjoyment, Satan did place four minutes of visuals hocking static-cling floor mops, luxury automobiles and low, low remortgage rates. The people cried out for a saviour, which arrived from upon high, The saviour said: Let those who repent call upon the name of myHTPC! The land flourished. The people worked in the fields, secure in the knowledge they could watch American Idol after the August Harvest. But all was not well in the land. myHTPC did meet with the snake in the Garden of Eden, who shared the apple of capitalism. And myHTPC ate from the tree of knowledge, for just 3 easy payments of $39.99 (plus S&H). The disciples of myHTPC formed The Following of the Tweaker, for just one easy payment of $49.99 USD and called it Meedio. Peace and plugins were bountiful. But, yea, all was not well throughout the land. From upon the purple mountain, a Juggernaught watched in wait. For 2 years that Juggernaught watched until one day, it captured and pillaged Meedio, leaving it alone to die. But The Following of the Tweaker believed in Meedio and before long it rose from the ashes faster and stronger than ever before. And (...because it was Open Source...) The Following of the Tweaker christened it MeediOS.

MediUS 1:41

The MeediOS Team (aka The Following of the Tweaker) would like to announce the first offical Beta release of MeediOS. Believe it or not, Yahoo! acquired Meedio in 2006. It's taken MeediOS 8 years of hard work, dedication, and overcoming a variety of challenges to the life of the project to arrive at this point. In honor of Pablo Pissanetzky, the creater of myHTPC and Meedio and in honor of the early contributors to MeediOS (hdwagner, crn, karios, binary64, zag, skypichat, jong, jkm78, kricker, dj heemstra, reverson1, shawn bass, smf007, ufgraymatter, ccrocker, enemywithin, davido, walts81, dakkar, flclsd, banderson1311, artfulfox, enthalpient, and those who are not forgotten) we present Cairo.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Now you can truly view and manage your media your way.

WHAT IS MEEDIOS?

MeediOS is a flexible solution for browsing and playing your media on your media centre (HTPC). MeediOS manages and displays all of your media in a single cohesive environment. With extensive customizability, elegant interface and family friendly features, MeediOS is the perfect interface for any media centre.

Supported media includes: Movies, TV Shows, Music, Pictures, Games and On-line Media.

Our project is open source and was originally inspired by the very customizable commercial Meedio software, acquired by Yahoo several years ago.

HOW MUCH DOES MEEDIOS COST?

MeediOS and all its plug-ins are, and will always be, free of charge! It is developed by a community that's passionate about perfecting the Media PC (HTPC) experience. We are driven by what we can achieve, not by any profits to be made.

WHY CHOOSE MEEDIOS?

Freedom. MeediOS does not restrict you. It allows you to display your media, the way you want it displayed.

Simplicity. MeediOS is quick and easy to install, and intuitive and easy to use.

Control. MeediOS is great for those who want more control from their front-end software, you can obsessively fine-tune it to their satisfaction by using the incredibly powerful and advanced configuration editor. Unlike competing solutions, you are not limited in configuring new menu options, menu names, or database views. MeediOS lets you set up new media views based on any data available in the library, and supports "on the fly" searching.

Power. MeediOS fully supports both single-PC and client-server installs. Now all your PCs can access a single media library stored on your home network or even remotely. If it can be accessed from Windows Explorer it can be reached from MeedIOS.

Screenshots

WHAT IS IN THE BETA RELEASE?
  • A much improved installer to simplfy the setup process. There is no need to use configuration editor except for advanced installations. And MeediOS keeps itself up to date with no intervention from the user.
  • Media importers that recognize most media naming schemes, including NFO files. We DON'T require your media to be stored in one folder, or named in one format "Movie Name (year)" etc.
  • Client-Server support so you access your media library from anywhere.
  • Speed. MeediOS has been upgraded to .NET 4.5 taking advantage of improvements to WPF.
  • Customisation. Over 200 plugins to extend the out-of-the-box functionality, including plugins to:
  • manage your media by renaming or moving files to locations based on MeediOS library tags
  • import and name your media from many different formats, including .nfo files, from popular PVR recording formats, from regex expressions
  • import media details from popular sites such as IMDB, Moviedb, Audiodb or TVdb, then add details such as RottenTomatoes and KidsInMind ratings
  • format and present your media just the way you like it, including fanart and posters
  • play your media using your favourite player
  • mix and scrobble your music using MusicIP or lastfm
  • add sophisticated remote control macros, using RS232 or USB-UIRT, or just learn your own remote commands dirctly within MeediOS.
  • manage your Netflix Queue from with in MeediOS
  • rip your disc based media in one step from within MeediOS
  • MeediOS now supports browsing libraries and playing media on any device which supports Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). MeediOS acts as a UPnP Server so mobile apps (and PC and Mac Media Players) which act as UPnP clients can be used to browse libraries, view media details and play your media files.

madVR PLAYER
When video and sound quality is essential, you can use the madVR Video Player plugin for MeediOS. No more fiddling with settings in MPC-HC or external players.
Our madVR player is part of MeediOS - with all the metadata available to display from MeediOS' database. The madVR player installs easily and lets you play almost anything using madVR, LAV, ffdshow (as an option), SVP (as an option) and Reclock (as an option).

The madVR player will use your existing codecs or download, register, and keep up to date all codecs automatically.

PVR Support
The Meedios PVR plugin acts as a client to the popular ArgusTV PVR software. It allows the user to browse, watch and delete recordings, manage upcoming recordings and search guide by title to set up simple recording schedules.
Because Argus TV uses a client/server approach, you can build a modular system, for example multiple Meedios clients, one server for MeediOS media files, and one or more computers to do the actual recording. Or you can combine those functions on just one computer.

Online Media
Stay online with your media. Stream online video or audio from iTunes, YouTube, Hulu, BBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, Animal Planet, Discovery, Military Channel, Science Channel, The Daily Show, Colbert, South Park and many others.

Launch and organize your games
Add the finishing touch! With just a little customisation, MeediOS can import your games library from Steam, other PC Games and ROM emulators.

Other Features
  • Playlists can used mixed media types - play music while a slideshow is running, or mix music and music video
  • Filter and view movies on the fly (using the ViewMaster plugin)
  • Auto-update for MeedIOS as well as all your installed plugins. The madVR plugin can also auto-update codecs. Don't like to mess with a solid working system? You can turn off or set the level of updates.
  • Tired of looking for a plugin? All plugins can be viewed and installed from within MeediOS from our SINGLE plugin repository.
  • Want to make MeediOS do something new? Ask one of our developers or follow one our guides. Plugins for MeediOS have always been easy to create.

TRY IT NOW

DOWNLOAD MEEDIOS
Remember, MeediOS is endlessly customisable, so you can add media sources and experiment to your heart's content.
ccrocker001 and Dark_Slayer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks skypichat. I have a new Redbox plugin that will be ready for release in about a week. Similar to the Netflix plugin, it will be fully integrated into MeediOS from various screens and plugins and modules.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm not familiar with meediOS so I have a couple questions.

1. Do you support 3D or handle them via external player?
2. Do you have a mobile, roku, web client?
3. Do you create or modify anything that would cause issues with media browser?

Looks really cool and I'll play around with it!
post #4 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraslor View Post

I'm not familiar with meediOS so I have a couple questions.

1. Do you support 3D or handle them via external player?
2. Do you have a mobile, roku, web client?
3. Do you create or modify anything that would cause issues with media browser?

Looks really cool and I'll play around with it!
1) MeediOS can be setup to launch any external player and can be setup to launch different players based on different conditions. 3D is not supported by the internal video players
2) There is a web client, but I believe it is broken due to various changes. I wouldn't bother with it now. There is a working UPNP plugin that will play to any UPNP mobile device. Roku is not supported (unless it is UPNP capable - Don't have one - have not tested).
3) MeediOS should run on its own without impacting your existing media. By default, posters and fanart are stored in a local MeediOS folder. You can if you want point MeediOS to existing folders or create new folders and it will use those. In this respect MeediOS is very flexible in how and where files are stored. Metadata is stored in a database.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 AM

Anyone else have a Nest Thermostat?

Early stages of plugin for MeediOS:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/101057912?byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="500" height="313" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/101057912">MeediOS Works With Nest</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3935442">ccrocker</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nest Plugin.png
Views:	37
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	147458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nest Menu Item.png
Views:	38
Size:	859.3 KB
ID:	147466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nest.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	147474  

Last edited by ccrocker001; 07-18-2014 at 09:11 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is this a re-skin of XBMC or a totally new code base not including any XBMC source code?
post #7 of 17 Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Is this a re-skin of XBMC or a totally new code base not including any XBMC source code?
MeediOS is an open source project that started in 2006 after Yahoo! acquired Meedio. Meedio was closed source software and was the successor to myhtpc software. After Yahoo acquired Meedio many of its users and plugin developers decided to recode and improve Meedio as an open source project ensuring that it would always survive in one form or another. The theme in many of the pictures is "Evolution" written by crn and based on (with permission) the XBMC aeon theme. Meedios is coded in C# and WPF and is incompatible with XMBC code. There is no code in common with XBMC.

post #8 of 17 Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrocker001 View Post
MeediOS is an open source project that started in 2006 after Yahoo! acquired Meedio. Meedio was closed source software and was the successor to myhtpc software. After Yahoo acquired Meedio many of its users and plugin developers decided to recode and improve Meedio as an open source project ensuring that it would always survive in one form or another. The theme in many of the pictures is "Evolution" written by crn and based on (with permission) the XBMC aeon theme. Meedios is coded in C# and WPF and is incompatible with XMBC code. There is no code in common with XBMC.
Ah Yes - I remember buying MeediOS long ago, and liked it, but it had some problems I dont recall anymore. I liked MeediOS and was profoundly disappointed when Yahoo acquired and promptly killed the application. Seeing this is the heritage, I will likely give it a try and see what 8 years has brought......thanks.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Any plans for a Linux version in the future?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post
Any plans for a Linux version in the future?
Yes, but honestly it's not likely to happen for quite a while.

post #11 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd love to use this. I started long ago using MyHTPC and then Meedio. I've never been that happy with MB3 or anything else that has come out since. I tried it last night but it would crash every time I tried to run it. I'm very interested and can't wait for updates.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't see it in the screenshots but does it support watching Live TV from Argus? Is there a guide view?
post #13 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwhit View Post
I'd love to use this. I started long ago using MyHTPC and then Meedio. I've never been that happy with MB3 or anything else that has come out since. I tried it last night but it would crash every time I tried to run it. I'm very interested and can't wait for updates.
Did it crash immediately on start up or randomly? There is currently a test build that has a bug causing it to crash on start up, but I didn't think that was the one for download. If you're willing to provide more details on the MeediOS forum, that would be a big help. Or pm me a spylog from the MeediOS/data/log directory after turning it on in Configuration Editor under Full Time Plugins / MeediOS System Core.

post #14 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Did it crash immediately on start up or randomly? There is currently a test build that has a bug causing it to crash on start up, but I didn't think that was the one for download. If you're willing to provide more details on the MeediOS forum, that would be a big help. Or pm me a spylog from the MeediOS/data/log directory after turning it on in Configuration Editor under Full Time Plugins / MeediOS System Core.
It would crash immediatly after it had loaded. Here is a screenshot and systemlog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MeediOS Crash.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	154361  
Attached Files
File Type: txt SystemLog.txt (4.9 KB, 5 views)
post #15 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwhit View Post
It would crash immediatly after it had loaded. Here is a screenshot and systemlog.
Maybe something wrong when installing MeediOS.
Do you have tested to re-install the package ?
Also, please activate the debug log from Core plugin in Configuration Editor
post #16 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 AM

I'll do that once I'm home from work. Look forward to getting it working.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, but honestly it's not likely to happen for quite a while.
Linux, yes, libraries and data can be on a linux server using PosgreSQL or SQlite.
For the client, MeediOS stay for Windows 7, 8 32 and 64 bits and it can use the data and libraries from the linux server.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page