HDCP Error with new Preamp/Processor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-30-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been running an HTPC using Win7/WMC and a Ceton InfiniTV4 tuner with good success for 2-1/2 years now. PC HDMI outputs direct to Sony TV as my pre-pro did not have HDMI inputs. Sooooo, I upgrade my Pre-pro and use its HDMI input/output to the Sony TV. Desktop and WMC screens come up fine, I can play back recorded TV no sweat, but when I tune to Live TV....pow!....HDCP error blue screen. Interestingly I can trick it to work. Switch inputs on the pre-pro to a non-HDMI source, then back quickly. I then get live TV, but in a small res, about 30-50% screen size. So I do the switch off and back trick again and bingo, full screen and perfect picture which remains stable until I stop Live TV. Anyone ever heard of this kind of goofiness??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Welcome to WMC + AVR hell. Your only hope at possibly preventing the problem is try different:
hdmi cables
hdmi splitter
Dr HDMI / HDMI Detective
Video Card
Video Card drivers
AVR firmware

I have done all of the above and I still get HDCP error on live Tv occasionally. I can usually get picture back by switching WMC from fullscreen to windowed then back to fullscreen but sometimes have to restart nvidia drivers using devcon command (faster than a reboot and doesn't interrupt recording/extenders).
post #3 of 24 Old 05-30-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I much appreciate. I do have a inquiry into the Mfg. If they "forgot" to pay their HDCP fee for this device, I understand that would be another cause. I am on the second cable, have tried one switch (a cheap one, probably non compliant also). I have determined what HDCP stands for: Hollywood Doesn't Care about the Public.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-30-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I use a DVI=>HDMI cable to the TV for video and a separate HDMI cable to pre/pro for audio.
I leave it up to my remote control to do all the video switching not my pre/pro

post #5 of 24 Old 06-11-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Solved: Replace cable with better grade and 50% longer length plus shut off tuner power (had forgotten that the tuner had a separate power supply from the PC, so shutting off PC did not power off the tuner!) Shut off and unplugged AVR. Not sure if cable swap or power off/on did it, but all good now. Persistence pays!
post #6 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was about to start a new thread but I have a similar issue.

I leave my htpc on 24/7 and it is connected to my receiver (Denon 790) and then on to mytur Panny plasma. At times whenever I turn on my setup using my harmony remote (650) the resolution is a lot smaller. Similar to what OP saw. I have replaced the HDMI cable but no luck. I am using a R7 260x with the latest ATI drivers (14.4) and even saw this on the older drivers.

This only happens part of the time and when it does occur I just close MCE and start it back up again. Any clue what could be causing this?

For my Harmony activity I have it turn on the receiver, set to the HDMI1, turn on the TV on HDMI and for the htpc it sets it MCE startpage.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
...I leave my htpc on 24/7...
Do you leave WMC playing Live Tv?
Have you tried pressing STOP before you start turning off the other components?
post #8 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

I press STOP before turning the other components off. Though this is what I do. My wife on the other hand could be the culprit and not hit STOP every time but I assume she does.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can program Harmony to auto issue the stop command as well as alt+f4 to close WMC . I do this as well but still have some cases every now then where the WMC window size or resolution setting gets off. In those cases an exit out of WMC and re-entry fixes it. I leave my htpc on 24/7 also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk

EZed
post #10 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Despite fixing my HDCP error as noted, I am getting the small res. issue occasionally also. According to another thread, this worked for a couple of people: Wait until you get the small res, then go into WMC set up and run the TV set up wizard, setting the res to same as your desktop/TV and accept the changes. Finish wizard as normal. It should then no longer resize when you turn off/on the TV and/or AVR." Poster reported this worked for months....

I am going to try next time I get the low res issue.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks I'll do that as well. It is just odd that all of sudden I just started to see this happen. Been keeping using this setup for quite some time.

I had thought it was the drivers or the iGPU as I was previously using the graphics from my a10-5800k but recently got the 260x so thought that would solve the issue but guess not.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
Thanks I'll do that as well. It is just odd that all of sudden I just started to see this happen. Been keeping using this setup for quite some time.

I had thought it was the drivers or the iGPU as I was previously using the graphics from my a10-5800k but recently got the 260x so thought that would solve the issue but guess not.
Let's face it. This computer-based stuff does things no one fully understands. You could try a complete shut down, pull off power cords from everything and start in the so called "recommended" sequence to get clean handshakes, though in the case of the small res screen I am not sure that will help. May take a few days after doing the TV screen re-set up routine until I see if it got fixed. Will report.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-13-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Let's face it. This computer-based stuff does things no one fully understands. You could try a complete shut down, pull off power cords from everything and start in the so called "recommended" sequence to get clean handshakes, though in the case of the small res screen I am not sure that will help. May take a few days after doing the TV screen re-set up routine until I see if it got fixed. Will report.
I got the "small res. look" again last night (occurred on one out of two input switchovers), so I followed the TV set up (screen) in WMC settings and reset to my TV's native 1920x1080 res. We will see how the stability is on that. High hopes! Will report.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that as well when it happens to me. It normally happens in the morning when I first turn on the tv but didn't occur today, at least not yet.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To the OP:

Did you rerun your TV setup after you introduced your NEW AVR? Worth a shot to see if this fixes the problem...............

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #16 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post
To the OP:

Did you rerun your TV setup after you introduced your NEW AVR? Worth a shot to see if this fixes the problem...............

Toys
No, but I have since and no joy. My test of going in and resetting the screen res. again also failed last night, so that idea does not work, at least for me. For the time being, it looks like going all the way out of WMC to desktop before going to another AVR input, like BluRay or Music Server in my case, is the only solution. I have not seen the system come up small res. to the desktop. Strange, all this high tech and the bloody thing can't remember what TV size I have!!!!!!!
post #17 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 08:26 AM

OP - you haven't mentioned which AVR you have, model specific..........Are you using onboard graphics (i.e. intel HD2000/HD2500/HD4000) HDMI out? If so, do you have the latest drivers? If using a graphics card - are your drivers up to date? Also, have you tried a different HDMI cable? One that is 1.4 compliant?

Toys

PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
post #18 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
OP - you haven't mentioned which AVR you have, model specific..........Are you using onboard graphics (i.e. intel HD2000/HD2500/HD4000) HDMI out? If so, do you have the latest drivers? If using a graphics card - are your drivers up to date? Also, have you tried a different HDMI cable? One that is 1.4 compliant?

Toys
See my post 5. The big HDCP issue was solved, so now only the wrong res issue remains. Happy to provide the detail you suggested: AVR= McIntosh MX151 Pre-pro, HDPC = Core i3 with Intel HD2000 HD Graphics, HDMI out of course. No separate video card. All drivers up to date. Have tried 3 cables; again, see post 5 and earlier. Strangte it comes up small res sometimes, sometimes not and only when I leave WMC open. Do appreciate your interest!
post #19 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:

See my post 5. The big HDCP issue was solved, so now only the wrong res issue remains. Happy to provide the detail you suggested: AVR= McIntosh MX151 Pre-pro, HDPC = Core i3 with Intel HD2000 HD Graphics, HDMI out of course. No separate video card. All drivers up to date. Have tried 3 cables; again, see post 5 and earlier. Strangte it comes up small res sometimes, sometimes not and only when I leave WMC open. Do appreciate your interest!

My bad.......didn't see that for some reason. Do you have access to another/different pre/pro that you could swap into your system to see if you can replicate the small res symptom?

Toys

post #20 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

My bad.......didn't see that for some reason. Do you have access to another/different pre/pro that you could swap into your system to see if you can replicate the small res symptom?

Toys
Nope - Previous one I still have but no HDMI so NG.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-15-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have 2 Sony AVRs, 2 Denon and a Pioneer Elite. HDMI Versions range from 1.1 through 1.3 and I never had any of the issues you describe when connecting to an HTPC. I suspect the McIntosh is likely at the root of the issue. I imagine you paid a small fortune for that Pre-Pro. More consumer/budget friendly gear seems to handle a PC source in a pretty straight forward way. You could consider something like an Edge from DVDO placed in between which can separate the audio and video portions of the stream and should from my experience handle the handshaking much better. That is not a cheap solution either but it has lots of other capabilities in switching and scaling that make it a very useful hub that integrates disparate gear very well.

Just another blank signature.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I doubt that since I bypassed my old Pre-pro and went direct PC to switch to TV (sahring one line with Blu-Ray and come to think of it, it did the same thing, occasionally came up in small res. I am guessing this is a WMC bug more than not, but I am no computer geek so as noted, this is a guess. Do appreciate your input, though.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-15-2014, 01:12 PM

It still sounds like a handshake issue. You may want to look into a Geffen HDMI detective, would definitely be a cheaper solution than a DVDO Edge.........lots of people swear by that little box curing their own handshake issues.

Geffen website:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-ed...p?prod_id=8005

Toys

post #24 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It still sounds like a handshake issue. You may want to look into a Geffen HDMI detective, would definitely be a cheaper solution than a DVDO Edge.........lots of people swear by that little box curing their own handshake issues.

Geffen website:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-ed...p?prod_id=8005

Toys
Many thanks. I did look at that a while back and corresponded with them and they stated their system would not help, though this was when I was getting the HDCP message. As for the wrong res. it is not a big deal for me to shut down WMS before I exit to another input and re-start when I return. This never results in the small res. issue. I will keep studying the matter when I get time as I am curious. Much appreciate your efforts on my behalf.
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread - HD2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page