Whoa AVS.... Blast from the last. It finally got used to the new forum format...lol - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Closed Thread

post #31 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
I hear you. I hate to be negative. I am hopeful. I just feel like the feedback is important if the goal at the end is a better AVS.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I hear you. I hate to be negative. I am hopeful. I just feel like the feedback is important if the goal at the end is a better AVS.
Yes, mfusick, we NEED the feedback...all of us are trying our best to help people out with individual problems, but the mods can only do so much. The vB team ultimately has to get the work done, and there is plenty to do. I am confident that once the majority of the kinks have been worked out, things will be as good or better than before.

It just takes TIME...
post #33 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post
Yes, mfusick, we NEED the feedback...all of us are trying our best to help people out with individual problems, but the mods can only do so much. The vB team ultimately has to get the work done, and there is plenty to do. I am confident that once the majority of the kinks have been worked out, things will be as good or better than before.

It just takes TIME...
I understand. I think most do too. Bickering and complaining is expected, although I am still surprised by the vast amount of posters who are voicing it. Many of them veterans too, so I guess the old code was really appreciated.

I can remember not liking the new AVS (now the old AVS) when we switched away from this current code to the previous we just lost. Some of that is probably just adjustment time. Because I grew very fond of it obviously because I now miss it.

I think I miss the previous version a lot more than I ever missed this version when we lost it the first time.

This version is just not intelligently set up very well.

When I get to the last reply in a thread there should be immediately following that a quick link to return to the forum in case I do not want to post a reply. That is missing.

The link to jump back to the forum or your subscriptions should be here:

There is way too much garbage between the bottom of the page where it is now and the last reply on the page. Why can't we get all this stuff to shrink and fit on a single PC monitor ???

I use a 1200x1920 26" monitor, a 1200x1920 27" monitor, and a 1080p 27" monitor- (I have three on my desktop ) I can't imagine my resolution is considered very low- it's at least average or above average. So if I can't fit everything on my giant screen then there is way too much wasted space.

Things need to be condensed and the large amount of wasted space between things needs to be minimized so you fit more things on the screen. A lot of simple things take up way too much screen restate and there is lots of wasted space.

Everything you ever would want or need should all be located on a single screen without scrolling, at the end of the last post. Regardless if you want to reply fully with a dedicated window from a link, quick reply right in the text box, or navigate back to your user CP or the forum you are browsing it should all be right there on the same screen. No reason to scroll for miles of page to find it and waste your time. This problem is 10 times worse on a tablet or smaller laptop.

I hope this gets fixed.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #34 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mfusick, please stop cross posting. Posting each problem ONCE in the correct place will stop needless rereading of the same material. Trust me...your posts will get read!
Dark_Slayer likes this.
post #35 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

LOL. Sorry.

I posted here first then remembered you suggested I post in the thread you linked so I did. My post here was conversational, but then I figured it would be good to put it in the right place just in case.

Thanks!

-

post #36 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Breadcrumb added just above Quick reply. Working on some of your other suggestions @Mfusick .

Mark
Bob Sorel likes this.
post #37 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post
Breadcrumb added just above Quick reply. Working on some of your other suggestions @Mfusick .

Mark
You rock!

Ok- I guess it's time to apologize and say thank you for the hard work. A project like this can't be easy. Well done.

-

post #38 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

@Bob Sorel

What exactly is a "super moderator" ?

That name suggests you have special or "super powers" ?

Can you fly like superman, or leap tall buildings in a single bound ? Faster than a speeding bullet ? Xray vision would be nice for checking out women

-

post #39 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
@Bob Sorel

What exactly is a "super moderator" ?

That name suggests you have special or "super powers" ?

Can you fly like superman, or leap tall buildings in a single bound ? Faster than a speeding bullet ? Xray vision would be nice for checking out women
Yeah, pretty much all of the above, especially the x-ray eyes...

In reality, it means that I can moderate in any forum in the entire AVS site, rather than just the HTPC forum which is the one I am the official moderator for.
post #40 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Threads now show the creation date/time "started by <person> (date)" as it did on the Huddler platform.

Mark
Bob Sorel likes this.
post #41 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Threads now show the creation date/time "started by <person> (date)" as it did on the Huddler platform.

Mark
Bravo!

Well done.

-

post #42 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Administrator

I believe this is the thread that asked for this -- the Forums tab in the Desktop nav now have the first level of the forums that Huddler used to have, to allow you to shortcut to a section.

Mark
Mfusick likes this.
post #43 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You are on fire! Nice work.

-

post #44 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I believe this is the thread that asked for this -- the Forums tab in the Desktop nav now have the first level of the forums that Huddler used to have, to allow you to shortcut to a section.

Mark
Great job! The next step is to have drop downs (actually drop to the right) on each of the first level forums to subforums within the first level forums so that a user can shortcut directly to the proper subforum. For example, the HDTV first level forum in the main dropdown should allow direct access to

Local HDTV Info and Reception
HDTV Technical
HDTV Programming
HDTV Recorders

and work similarly with all of the first level forums.

I know, one thing at a time, but please keep it in mind that eventually people will be screaming for this, as once again, that's how it "used to work on the old forum"...

Last edited by Bob Sorel; 06-13-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #45 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Administrator

For the mobile users, the thread date and creator are now included in the description. I wouldn't mind feedback on it, as fitting all that info into a single line is a bit daunting.

Mark
post #46 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The arrows to jump to the last post in the thread are better!

Still tough to hit on the ipad, and it's not so intuitive to people what it does though. Bigger and more obvious where it is and what it does is still suggested, and if it could be easier to click on without hitting something else on a phone or tablet is nice too.

Keep up the great work !!!

-

post #47 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Lots faster overall now me likey , ofc the picture /image posting is typical vbulletin ☺

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-15-2014 at 03:44 PM.
post #48 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 226
  • "thumbs up" button feels like an odd location that should instead be near "quote/multi-quote/quick reply"
  • Threads you've posted in used to be shaded which was extremely obvious, would be nice if that was possible
  • I can't find a clickable place to "go to your last post" from the forum view
  • I do miss the "mouse over" text expansion of the thread's first post
  • The fly-out forum index drop down like Bob mentioned above is also somthing I used extensively
post #49 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I hate how that sidebar on the right takes up half the screen. The page is fixed width now too. No way to make the posts fill your entire screen.
What the heck has happened? I was away for a couple of days & came back to a different looking forum. I had tweaked the Huddler based forum to my liking & now have to figure out what I did & if it's impacting anything now. For example displaying the big white sidebar.
post #50 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Mike99 you can disable the sidebar in your usercp if you want to hide it.

Mark
post #51 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
VerticalScope,

Will you restore JUMPTO and ANAME BBcodes? Without them it is almost impossible to maintain a large guide like this (hyperlinks created with these codes that used to work are completely broken with the Huddler transition, then coming back to vBulletin).

How about TABLE? In this post I can see a table, but I can't edit it with the TABLE code. Layaout is completely broken.

Last edited by renethx; 06-14-2014 at 06:50 AM.
post #52 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
VerticalScope,

Will you restore JUMPTO and ANAME BBcodes? Without them it is almost impossible to maintain a large guide like this (hyperlinks created with these codes that used to work are completely broken with the Huddler transition, then coming back to vBulletin).

How about TABLE? In this post I see a table, but I can't edit it with the TABLE code. Layaout is completely broken.
@renethx Table is fixed as of a few minutes ago, I'll check those two other bbcodes for you.

Mark
post #53 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
VerticalScope,

How about TABLE? In this post I can see a table, but I can't edit it with the TABLE code. Layaout is completely broken.
TABLE, ANAME and JUMPTO should all be added/fixed now.

Mark
post #54 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks. The problem of table is that in the editor it just looks like:

Code:
Model Code Name Core Cl Mem Cl Mem BW Memory SP TC Max P Idle P P Conn Length Price Release Radeon HD 5450 RV810 Pro (Cedar) 650MHz 800/400MHz 12.8/6.4GB/s DDR3/DDR2/512MB/1024MB/64-bit 80 292M 19.1W 6.4W none   $59/$49 Feb 4, '10
(i.e. a sequence of data without tags) but in the browser it looks like a table:

Attached Images
File Type: png table.PNG (38.8 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by renethx; 06-14-2014 at 07:04 AM.
post #55 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks. The problem of table is that in the editor it just looks like:

Code:
Model Code Name Core Cl Mem Cl Mem BW Memory SP TC Max P Idle P P Conn Length Price Release Radeon HD 5450 RV810 Pro (Cedar) 650MHz 800/400MHz 12.8/6.4GB/s DDR3/DDR2/512MB/1024MB/64-bit 80 292M 19.1W 6.4W none   $59/$49 Feb 4, '10
(i.e. a sequence of data without tags) but in the browser it looks like a table:

Do you have a post that has that sequence of data without tags that I can see, I am guessing it's when you edit old Huddler posts?

Mark
post #56 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am not sure when it was broken. I created the table with TABLE tag before Huddler and it looked good. I have never edited the post since then. But never mind, perhaps it is a waste of time for you and me to fix it.
post #57 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I am not sure when it was broken. I created the table with TABLE tag before Huddler and it looked good. I have never edited the post since then. But never mind, perhaps it is a waste of time for you and me to fix it.
It looks like when it was imported from old VB, to Huddler, it changed some of its formatting. So now, when edited, VB isn't detecting it's a proper table, and doesn't assign it a table. I've done some tests copying the post content to a test thread and it doesn't format properly afterwards.

I'm going to run this by the Huddler team and see what they suggest. If you can please hold off editing those posts with tables like that.

Mark
post #58 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #59 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Mike99 you can disable the sidebar in your usercp if you want to hide it.

Mark
Thanks -
I just did that. What was the purpose of the sidebar since it was all just blank?
StinDaWg likes this.
post #60 of 86 Old 06-14-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Didn't the forum just get updated a few months ago? Was that platform not working out? Or was it just temporary?
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page