Whoa AVS.... Blast from the last. It finally got used to the new forum format...lol - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Whoa AVS.... Blast from the last. It finally got used to the new forum format...lol

Not sure how I feel about this. You?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
We better get Tapatalk now :eek_surprise:
post #3 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
We better get Tapatalk now :eek_surprise:
Tapatalk works, please test.
post #4 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Déjà vu

post #5 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
+1 still figuring out where everything is.....can't find my subscriptions (mobile right now) so far no likey
post #6 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post
Tapatalk works, please test.

Awesome, I checked the main welcome back topic and didn't see it mentioned. Thanks!
post #7 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Awesome, I checked the main welcome back topic and didn't see it mentioned. Thanks!
Please do let me know if you have any issues using tapatalk on the site. We tested it today but different eyes will catch different bugs.
post #8 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Getting used to it

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would give you a thumbs up...But then I would have to search around to see how many you have.

Edit: spoke too soon, its back

Last edited by Andy_Steb; 06-11-2014 at 09:16 PM.
post #10 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anybody show me where my equipment list went?

post #11 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
+1 still figuring out where everything is.....can't find my subscriptions (mobile right now) so far no likey
Subscriptions should be under your UserCP on mobile, there is a link there to access your thread subscriptions. Let us know if you cannot find it.

Mark
post #12 of 86 Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Subscriptions should be under your UserCP on mobile, there is a link there to access your thread subscriptions. Let us know if you cannot find it.

Mark
Clicking on my username in the mobile version (tablet) does NOT display a "threads I've posted in" list.

Also, where is this "forum bug reports" list I saw mentioned? Don't find it.
post #13 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Clicking on my username in the mobile version (tablet) does NOT display a "threads I've posted in" list.

Also, where is this "forum bug reports" list I saw mentioned? Don't find it.
I will have to test this when I can get to a tablet and post a solution for you.

The reporting post thread is http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...come-back.html
post #14 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I will have to test this when I can get to a tablet and post a solution for you.

The reporting post thread is http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...come-back.html
OK, thanks. Should I repost about this there?
post #15 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I hate how that sidebar on the right takes up half the screen. The page is fixed width now too. No way to make the posts fill your entire screen.

No way to increase the number of topics shown on the main page either? Seems really low compared to before.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 06-12-2014 at 01:28 AM.
post #16 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I hate how that sidebar on the right takes up half the screen. The page is fixed width now too. No way to make the posts fill your entire screen.

No way to increase the number of topics shown on the main page either? Seems really low compared to before.
+1 ...
post #17 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I'm now getting emails for quote notifications. How do you turn that off? I don't have email turned on in my settings.
post #18 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...e-new-avs.html

Quote:
It's sucks... I liked it better before.

I wish they would go back.

This will cut the amount I use this site for sure.
You got your wish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #19 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Doesn't feel right...

post #20 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Angry Ask again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
Can anybody show me where my equipment list went?
I will second this!
I just (2 weeks ago) cleaned up all my lists.
Now they are either gone or hidden so well I can't find them.
Also most of the pics in MY Galleries are "Under Review" what ever that means.
Not really liking the VBB change so far.
post #21 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
this was my main problem so far

I liked the old AVS mobile too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #22 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I do remember hating the "new" when it rolled out but I think I grew into it.

Hopefully that happens with this too.

I really enjoyed the AVS mobile as of late. I have not tried this new site on my phone yet. On ipad so far it's weird, but I'll reserve my harsh judgments till I give it a chance.

-

post #23 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Guys, please be patient...The people from vB are getting things sorted out as quickly as possible. We did a lot of testing prior to launching the new site, but there were just so many things that we could test. VB is probably the most common forum software around, so once the details have been sorted out, you should have an easy time navigating, posting, etc.

As has been mentioned, please report problems here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...come-back.html

I recommend spending some time in your user CP first to get things set up the way you like them, but hopefully you guys have already done that...

post #24 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The annoying preview pop up, when mousing over a thread title, is gone. I like that.

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #25 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wish the I icon to jump to first unread post in a subscribed thread was bigger and more tablet friendly.

I can't figure out how to load a pic from my ipad yet either. Do you always need a URL ?

Edit: test

That's annoying. I'm no noob and I even often manually type out the [img] and then then [/img] after I paste a URL but this method seems too hard.

Pics make threads better IMO. This should be an area that should be easy to do. Most people use tablets and phones to load a pic so there should be an icon you just click and add then select the photo to upload. It should embed into the post automatically IMO. There's too much work and extra steps here.

Unless I am an idiot or doing it wrong ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	111089  

-

Last edited by Mfusick; 06-12-2014 at 08:03 AM.
post #26 of 86 Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How about video ? Can I upload a video ? How would I ?

-

post #27 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
The annoying preview pop up, when mousing over a thread title, is gone. I like that.
I actually liked that feature. It gave me a preview of which direction the thread was heading before I wasted my time clicking on it.

post #28 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
I actually liked that feature. It gave me a preview of which direction the thread was heading before I wasted my time clicking on it.
Well, there you go!

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #29 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The problems are (98% of peoples problems anyway)

#1 . It's different. So it will take some time and learning to get accustomed to it.
#2 . The method for posting a picture sucks. I wish I knew a stronger word than "sucks" I could use because I would.
#3 . The option to jump to the last post in a thread, or the last unread post in a thread is not good. I'd say "sucks" actually.
#4 . The AVS mobile and tablet formats are not even competitive with the old one. They also "suck"

#1 can be fixed over time with simple bug fixes and waiting for people to get over the changes and relax.

#2 . Is a very serious detriment and threat to AVS. It has the potential to send AVS back to the stone age, and let other home theater sites rise up and diminish AVS importance over time. This could be a death sentence for AVS. There is simply no doubt about it- PICTURES make threads better. Posting a picture should be simple and nearly automatic so that a person with significantly less than average intelligence can do it easily. 80 year old grandmothers can send picture texts these days. Posting a picture should be as simple as clicking a "picture" icon - selecting the picture you want to post and clicking it. Done. Ton's of things have this simple functionality. It's a total joke we have to load an attachment, find that attachment URL and then paste it between [img] and [/img]. That should all be done automatically, and the format and size should happen automatically too. I expect better. Anything less with slowly cause great posters and posts to find their way to other forums that support such a thing. You can't have great posts without easy posting of pictures, and difficult posting process for pictures will lessen the amount of pictures people post, which degrades AVS and it's quality. You can't take for granted the quality on AVS, it comes from the members and it's not a god given right or an entitled automatic certainty. Loosing this to other places would be a death sentence for AVS. Crappy picture posting process supports that.

#3 . I've been a member over a decade, I remember the old code well- and I have been on other forums that use the same code as this. So if I can't figure out easily how to jump to the last post in a thread then it clearly "sucks". This is the feature most people use. This feature and button should be more easily visible, noticeable... and understood. In fact it should be set up so that you basically have to go out of your way to click anything else. I've seen so many complaints about this so far. Listen to what people are saying. Fix it please!

#4 . Mobile and tablet formats need improvement. There is too many functionality missing that was present on the old AVS mobile, and the format makes it harder to click what you want, or see what you want. This might take some time and additional user feedback but a great mobile site and app enhances AVS greatly and the importance should not be understated. Especially since most posters use both PC and MOBILE in conjunction with each other- I might snap a pic with my phone and load it up to AVS then later reply more with the PC. The mobile site isn't just about making it faster with less bandwidth requirements by making it plain and simple. Most people have wifi or fast cell phone service and modern smart phones- this crowd on this site especially. Speed isn't the problem. The problem is the lack of functionality, and the fact it's so simple it sucks. It's hard to click anything or move around, and you lack many features I find myself switching back the full PC version which text is unreadable and too small. You should not have to switch to the full site to do something like post a picture or attachment, or access a feature IMO. Bring all that stuff onto the mobile platform- but make the icons bigger and easier to click without clicking something else you don't want. And again it's very hard to jump quickly into a thread and jump to the last post in the thread from the mobile site- which is also a feature that many posters will use to follow up a thread they have engaged in. Not allowing this limits responses- many posters won't even bother to post something of quality because the effort is too high and it interferes with their lives too much. That's a shame. A big step backwards for AVS since the previous mobile site was very good and did not have these problems.

I hate to be too negative. I'll be patient and remain hopeful for improvements in these areas.

-

post #30 of 86 Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Things are moving along and a lot of things have been fixed in less than 48 hours, but there is still plenty of work to do, so I am asking for your continued patience. A lot of things that were working fine in the sandbox became broken on the the real launch...I don't know why. But VerticalScope and his team have been very diligent in responding to problems as fast as they can...they really are doing an excellent job with such an enormous task.

Once again I will remind everybody that you really should take a look at ALL of the sections in "tools/user cp" to set things up the way you want. Some of the settings are not where you might expect them to be, so check out EVERY sub section in the CP before assuming that something is wrong or not possible.

And once again, please report problems/bugs here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...come-back.html

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page