Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-construction/

See how neat that forum is!

And the stickies are all located in one small area here:

Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

That forum does it right.

Now, if there is any value in the actual stickies in this forum is a different debate. I think at the very least something like that should be done. But really I think just NUKE the whole thing as they have little value.

It's nice to think they prevent noobs from starting threads or asking the same questions, and it's nice to think they still offer value but the truth is the majority of them have almost no posting action and the discussions are not longer relevant. The negative impression it gives to someone who looks in this forum and sees them is not worth having them, someone who checked this forum out would think it's out of date. The last thing you want is to drive people that are experienced in HTPC to other places because they look down on this forum.

Our stickies are embarrassing. Let's just be honest about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	114521  

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
More incorrect information from MFusick. Looks like while the appearance of AVS has changed his behavior has not and he continues to troll and defame whoever and whatever he wants with absolutely zero actual knowledge about what he is saying.

When this is disallowed I will return to post. Until then its just not worth my time.
But you're not thinking of his post count.......it won't build itself up! Won't someone think of the post count!
post #33 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
More incorrect information from MFusick. Looks like while the appearance of AVS has changed his behavior has not and he continues to troll and defame whoever and whatever he wants with absolutely zero actual knowledge about what he is saying.

When this is disallowed I will return to post. Until then its just not worth my time.
Sorry. I did not mean to give offense. That's just my opinion. I tried to be honest about it. I still think your guides are great, I even paid for them myself before they were free. I'm not looking to get into a debate either. I checked and actually took a snap shot of your profile before I posted.

You last post was back in Feb, and your brother only has a handful of posts on this site.

I like your guides but I'm not sure I am understanding or seeing a specific reason they need to be stickied. Please understand this is not at all directed towards you specifically, or am I singling you out. I'm trying to stand up and be honest about all the threads that are stickied, and I say the same harsh realities about the others. This isn't about individuals, it's about my opinion the forum would be better off with a change. Heck I'll even admit that in your prime your sticky was probably the most useful of any of them, ever- on this thread. I doubt it would go away either; like I said I expect it to still be around and bumped to the top when updates or questions arise. I just fail to see why it needs to be stickied is all I said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	assasin.png
Views:	109
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	114529  

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #34 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Now, if there is any value in the actual stickies in this forum is a different debate. I think at the very least something like that should be done. But really I think just NUKE the whole thing as they have little value.
I hope you're wife is the one in charge of bathing the twins as you seem very keen on throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think having a single thread stickied that can link to other useful threads is a reasonable solution. Nuking them because you don't use them is just silly.

Quote:
It's nice to think they prevent noobs from starting threads or asking the same questions, and it's nice to think they still offer value
Stop right there. You're acting as if you know they don't do those things. If you know.. share the info, if you don't stop implying that you do.

Quote:
but the truth is the majority of them have almost no posting action and the discussions are not longer relevant. The negative impression it gives to someone who looks in this forum and sees them is not worth having them, someone who checked this forum out would think it's out of date. The last thing you want is to drive people that are experienced in HTPC to other places because they look down on this forum.
There you go, all caught up in post count again. Just because people aren't posting in a thread, doesn't mean it doesn't serve some purpose. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Those threads are in no way an embarrassment. The stickies for the most part are a source of good information even if it is information you no longer need.
post #35 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
I hope you're wife is the one in charge of bathing the twins as you seem very keen on throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Lol. It's funny I just gave them both a bath.. lol. I even took pictures. I'd post if I had them handy. haha. They seem to like warm water.

-

post #36 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Stop right there. You're acting as if you know they don't do those things. If you know.. share the info, if you don't stop implying that you do.

There you go, all caught up in post count again. Just because people aren't posting in a thread, doesn't mean it doesn't serve some purpose. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Those threads are in no way an embarrassment. The stickies for the most part are a source of good information even if it is information you no longer need.
Well I still see the same things asked all the time that the stickies supposedly address, and I don't really see any posting in the stickies much at all. The lack of action in the stickies would suggest they are mostly ignored at this point. Not even noob questions are asked in those. In comparision a lot of noob questions are asked in forum threads that are more recent. A lot of people are concerned with the date- people don't like old posts and old info.

That's why with the forum change so many are requesting that the original post date is displayed again. It's so people can tell which posts are new. Something about "new" that makes it better. I can't explain it. But it's nonetheless reality. Don't shoot the messenger.

If people disagree and want to keep them I wouldn't protest that, I think they need to get cleaned up and shrank down for sure though. I am just voicing the opinion it might be time to just get rid of them.

The posts won't die, they just won't take up the first page of the forum anymore. If someone has a question or they get bumped up that's great, it means they are relevant. If they are not relevant then why not allow them to float down the forum like the other threads.

I guess at the heart of the matter is I don't think those stickies offer more value than a lot of the other threads around here so I don't understand what makes those sticky threads special enough to warrant being stickied. If you have to artificially drive traffic to them by sticking them in everyone's faces then they aren't important. If they are, they will find their way to the top of the forum on their own. I am not saying delete them. I think you misunderstood that. I just mean take them down from the top and save the space.

-

post #37 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 161
The issue of the stickies taking up too much space is ludicrous and just plain stupid. If you're too damn lazy to scroll down a page then why bother coming here at all? The issue of whether they are current is, however, valid. The intent for stickies is to create a starting point and collect useful information so people don't have to search for it. Someone decided the info was important enough to put it in a sticky so there it is. Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, anyone new to this or every other forum I've ever visited is more likely to post a question that's been asked hundreds of times rather than wade through the sticky threads to find the answer. Nothing will ever change that, no matter how well intended the stickies are. Every public forum I've ever seen also has stickies at the top of each forum page.

The biggest problem with stickies in a technology forum is that they quickly become outdated but never purged. There are tutorials and FAQs I created in a Tivo forum over a dozen years ago that are still posted in a sticky thread, even though the info is essentially obsolete at this point. The OPs had good intentions when they started the stickies, but at some point they decided to move on and the stickies were essentially abandoned and never updated. The problem is finding someone to take on the task of weeding out what's still relevant and what's no longer useful. Aside from doing that, I vote we just place all of the sticky links in a single sticky thread and call it a day. That way anyone that wants to look through them can still do so and they won't take up any precious space at the top of the screen for those that are scroll challenged.
post #38 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
The issue of the stickies taking up too much space is ludicrous and just plain stupid. If you're too damn lazy to scroll down a page then why bother coming here at all?
I respectfully disagree. They do take up a lot of space, and I've demonstrated how nice and neat they can be with the example from the Home theater builder section, so I see no reason why this would not be a positive change. This is about making the forum better, not individuals or if I am lazy and you are not. The question is : would the forum be better off if the stickies were consolidated and shrank down as to not take so much space ? I say yes.

-

post #39 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I still see the same things asked all the time that the stickies supposedly address, and I don't really see any posting in the stickies much at all. The lack of action in the stickies would suggest they are mostly ignored at this point. Not even noob questions are asked in those.
How do you come to that conclusion? If I'm looking for an answer, and I find the answer without having to ask a question (because it's in the thread) why would the post count go up? You seem to be fixated on the idea that a discussion has to be taking place when in reality, it might simply be for informational purposes.

Quote:
In comparision a lot of noob questions are asked in forum threads that are more recent. A lot of people are concerned with the date- people don't like old posts and old info.
I always thought people were more concerned with finding the most relevant answer, not the most current. They may overlap some but they aren't the same thing. And posting stickies, no matter how current probably isn't going to affect the people looking for the most current, as their probably going to ask the question regardless of how up to date a sticky tread may be. I believe the idea is to reduce the number of repetitive "noob" posts, not eliminate them. I don't think any measure will ever eliminate them, so if that's your goal you have unrealistic expectations.

Quote:
I guess at the heart of the matter is I don't think those stickies offer more value than a lot of the other threads around here so I don't understand what makes those sticky threads special enough to warrant being stickied. If you have to artificially drive traffic to them by sticking them in everyone's faces then they aren't important. If they are, they will find their way to the top of the forum on their own. I am not saying delete them. I think you misunderstood that. I just mean take them down from the top and save the space.
Again your logic is flawed. Suggesting that they will find their way to the top implies that people will actively be posting in them, and that simply isn't the case with many of these threads. You're equating value with posts, and I don't think that's an assumption you can logically make.

Don't get me wrong... I completely agree with you that the sticky area should take up less room. I just don't think you can call the whole thing useless. I dare not speculate regarding the numbers, but I would venture a guess that the people that visit the site and don't post on any given day, greatly outnumber the people that do post. Point being that many people come here for information instead of discussion.
post #40 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd also suggest that having the stickies displayed as prominently as they are now (instead of blending with the ads and whatnot as they did before) would make them more heavily trafficked and more useful.
post #41 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
The issue of whether they are current is, however, valid. The intent for stickies is to create a starting point and collect useful information so people don't have to search for it. Someone decided the info was important enough to put it in a sticky so there it is. Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, anyone new to this or every other forum I've ever visited is more likely to post a question that's been asked hundreds of times rather than wade through the sticky threads to find the answer. Nothing will ever change that, no matter how well intended the stickies are.

The biggest problem with stickies in a technology forum is that they quickly become outdated but never purged. There are tutorials and FAQs I created in a Tivo forum over a dozen years ago that are still posted in a sticky thread, even though the info is essentially obsolete at this point. The OPs had good intentions when they started the stickies, but at some point they decided to move on and the stickies were essentially abandoned and never updated. The problem is finding someone to take on the task of weeding out what's still relevant and what's no longer useful. Aside from doing that, I vote we just place all of the sticky links in a single sticky thread and call it a day. That way anyone that wants to look through them can still do so and they won't take up any precious space at the top of the screen for those that are scroll challenged.
I don't disagree with you. Well perhaps a little

I went through the stickies one by one and what I discovered was they seem mostly irrelevant. I don't think they provide the value today that they once did at the time someone made the decision to sticky them. That is all.

Again, it's not like I am saying delete them or they have no value at all. I am not saying that. Those threads will remain around here, and the value will still be there. I just fail to see how those particular stickies offer any special value beyond the myriad of other threads that are just as good or better and also more recent and are not stickied. If they are removed as a sticky the threads will remain, the content will still be there- and no value from them is lost. I would expect to see those threads bounce up to the top from time to time on their own with action- but I did demonstrate that is currently not happening in much of them.

I'd even argue that those stickies would get more action by not being stickied and simply being bumped to the top of the forum with a reply. More eyes and people would look to see what is new in them. As they are now they are mostly ignored. The lack of action in them and the fact that many of the OP of them have vanished is evidence of this.

You are 100% about tech forums too. You can't reasonably expect stickies to remain in a PC forum the technology changes way to fast. That is just how things are.

-

post #42 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How do you come to that conclusion? If I'm looking for an answer, and I find the answer without having to ask a question (because it's in the thread) why would the post count go up? You seem to be fixated on the idea that a discussion has to be taking place when in reality, it might simply be for informational purposes.
I am not sure I agree, but we need to both agree neither of us can prove an answer either way. I don't want to argue.

I just was pointing out that the owners of those threads are gone, and no one posts in them anymore. If you think that there is tons of people reading them and not posting any questions I think you are wrong to make that assumption.

If a noob reads those he or she would invariably have a question and the logical place to ask it would be there. But almost no action like that takes place. That is why I suggest they are not as useful at people believe they are, or that they once were. The reality is simple: Those stickies do not offer any special value than the other great threads that are not stickied.

What exactly makes those threads so special ? But the other threads that are not stickied and probably better less special ? This is a complicated question, but I would suggest there is nothing at all left to those that puts them above the rest so might as well just make them equal.

Don't think removing a sticky means deleting a thread. It does not.

If Assassin updates and bumps his thread with a new guide, or some intelligent posting I think thats fine and proper reason it should bounce to the top of the forum. If the mediaportal guy posts (only twice a year!) his routine update let it bounce up for a short time. I don't understand why those threads need to be stuck in your face. They do not answer an specific questions and provide little value today.

Most of the question in the forum are about Flexraid, Mediaserver, PLEX, and MB3. None of those topics have stickies. None. That just doesn't make sense to keep the stickies that are there when you look at it from the big picture.

Removing the current stickies is a good start. Replacing them with worthy successors can be an entirely different process. That's my opinion.

I don't disagree those threads have some value left in them. I agree with you. I just don't see how they deserve their sticky spots anymore. If they are equal to other threads they will still get attention and provide value, but it would make the forum a better place. Outdated stickies scare away intelligent posters IMO. It's perceived as a negative.

-

post #43 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I went through the stickies one by one and what I discovered was they seem mostly irrelevant.
???

A couple of them maybe but...

You're saying that How to build a workstation/server/htpc is irrelevant?
XBMC is irrelevant?
How to setup an HTPC is irrelevant?
MediaBroswer is irrelevant?
Windows 7 Media Center is irrelevant?
Forum rules are irrelevant?

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion.
post #44 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
???

A couple of them maybe but...

You're saying that How to build a workstation/server/htpc is irrelevant?
XBMC is irrelevant?
How to setup an HTPC is irrelevant?
MediaBroswer is irrelevant?
Windows 7 Media Center is irrelevant?
Forum rules are irrelevant?

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion.
Yes, basically that is what I said. Perhaps not "irrelevant" because like I said those threads still have value. I would not want to ever see them deleted.

Let's look at it:
The how to build a workstation contains mostly info on socket 775, 1366 and early 1155, it's not up to date and since the primary focus of it was hardware talk the PC hardware from 2007 and 2008 is pointless. It has no action, and the action it got was because *I* personally bumped it up a couple times this year. It's got like what 6 posts from 2014 ???

XBMC I was indifferent on. It's mostly irrelevant in that the majority of the posting is about previous versions of XBMC, I like darkslayer and I think XBMC needs some representation in the forums but a clean start might be better. And - the thread can if nothing else find it's way to the top like the MB3 and PLEX threads do on their own without being stickied. Both get a lot more action than the XBMC does.

How to set up a HTPC is outdated. Yes. Unsticky it by all means please.

The mediabrowser sticky sucks. The MB3 thread that bounces to the top regularly is much better and gets much more action. Unsticky it.

The windows 7 is also - unsticky it. Most of the data is old, and there is much better ways to do most of that today. Let it fight to the top like all the other threads, nothing about that thread today makes it special or better than other threads to deserve it's spot.

Forum rules: Nope Not touching that one. That can stick around.

I had a lengthy post above that I actually went though each thread and commented on earlier as well that had additional thoughts I had about the stickies.

Look- The threads themselves are great. They have a value. They just don't have enough to warrant being stickied anymore. Not when other better threads exist that could take their place. The problem is that those thread will soon loose relevancy too and the entire project just takes too much effort. The only way to win is not to play. Mods don't want to go messing around with this stuff either. Just remove the sticky posts and let the forum live on. If a serious contender to be stickied happens we can always stick it up there at a later date.

Great threads find their own way to the top. They don't need the help. Certainly do not need to take up the first page of the forum and be forced on people.

-

Last edited by Mfusick; 06-13-2014 at 05:55 PM.
post #45 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not sure I agree, but we need to both agree neither of us can prove an answer either way. I don't want to argue.

I just was pointing out that the owners of those threads are gone, and no one posts in them anymore. If you think that there is tons of people reading them and not posting any questions I think you are wrong to make that assumption.

I'm not assuming that they are or aren't. What I'm assuming is that their intended purpose is to be read, but not necessarily responded to.

Quote:
If a noob reads those he or she would invariably have a question and the logical place to ask it would be there. But almost no action like that takes place. That is why I suggest they are not as useful at people believe they are, or that they once were.
Again, I don't think that is necessarily a reasonable conclusion to draw. If someone puts together a well thought out guide, there might not be many questions at all. The idea isn't always to spark debate or discussion. Some posts are simply designed to inform.

Clearly we aren't going to agree on where a threads value is derived (from the information contained within, or the number of recent posts) but if any headway is going to be made on the topic, someone "in charge" should probably weigh in on what the intended purpose of the stickies is supposed to be. Without a statement of purpose, any "feature" is just clutter.

And again, in reply to the post you just made, I don't agree with your logic at all that "good" threads will find their way to the top. Not all "good" threads spark more discussion.
post #46 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I do agree with you and what you say. I guess the tough question is do those specific stickies offer something "good" that's better than all the other threads and makes them deserve being stickied. If the answer is Yes, then they should remain stickied. If the answer is NO, then they should be removed from being stickied, but perhaps some of the better ones (MPC-HC, XBMC, Assassin) will likely hang near the top on many occassions - while some of the others will probably not.

I don't thing this forum would lose much if they were removed as stickies. The knowledge they once had is mostly common at this point. People need help with newer topics, as evidenced by the threads that hang near the top on other subjects.

I am not sure who would weigh in on the topic. This forum does not have specific moderators was my understanding. Bob is a supermoderator and moderates this forum, but also moderates (or can) all the others too. He's proven a good moderator at times, but I am not sure he has the passion or energy to take on a re modification project of the stickies. I probably would not want to do that if I was him. It's a tough judgement position so sometimes the easiest and safest thing to do is nothing.

Perhaps I should start a thread with a POLL and get the weigh in of the forum to vote on the issue. That might be useful in determining how the majority feels, and a fair way to decide what to do. Like I said this isn't about me, but what is best for the forum. It should be a community decision I think. Unless a clear answer or majority is easily distinguished.

Keep in mind a great thread can also be stickied again at any time. It's not like it's a one shot deal. If the experiment goes bad, adding them isn't much trouble. My guess is more than half the stickies would disappear to the bottom of the forum and no one would miss them. The ones that hang around deserve it.

-

Last edited by Mfusick; 06-13-2014 at 06:10 PM.
post #47 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My guess is more than half the stickies would disappear to the bottom of the forum
I absolutely agree.

Where we differ is if that is a good thing or not.
post #48 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I absolutely agree.

Where we differ is if that is a good thing or not.
I'd argue survival of the fittest. The information in those threads is not so special it needs special intervention and support. If they have value they will find their own way to the top. I can't see anything in those that's better or different than any of the other threads that never get stickied. I also think a lot of that info is now understood commonly by the community and the information would not be lost. It would be repeated and re-taught in a modern methodology which is a good thing.

Folding them all up into a single sticky thread with links is acceptable too. Such a case could also have additional threads worthy of being archived included without taking up too much space. I like how the theater builder section does it and the example I posted above. It's effective.

-

post #49 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd argue survival of the fittest.
Tell that to Stephen Hawking. That ol' cripple isn't so special that we should bother inventing talking wheelchairs just for him.

Quote:
The information in those threads is not so special it needs special intervention and support. If they have value they will find their own way to the top.
What makes them special is that they have value, but won't find their way to the top. That's the point of stickies anyway. You don't sticky a thread because it has 50 posts/day. You sticky it because it doesn't but there is information that might be useful to a significant portion of the readers.

Quote:
I can't see anything in those that's better or different than any of the other threads that never get stickied. I also think a lot of that info is now understood commonly by the community and the information would not be lost. It would be repeated and re-taught in a modern methodology which is a good thing.
I agree that the information in several of those threads is already understood by the mojority of the community that actively participates. But again, what proportion of the community is that?

Quote:
Folding them all up into a single sticky thread with links is acceptable too. Such a case could also have additional threads worthy of being archived included without taking up too much space. I like how the theater builder section does it and the example I posted above. It's effective.
That certainly makes them easier to find if you're looking for them, but I don't know that it necessarily helps noobs see them. (again, if that's the point)
post #50 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Well, while I strongly suspect I am in the vast minority on this topic, I'll give my two-bits anyway. Although I think the number of stickies seems a bit high, it also seems that the higher number is due largely to the fact that there are simply so many aspects to HTPC design and maintenance that the entire forum itself could probably be broken down into 3 smaller forums. If it was three smaller forums, and those stickies were spread out across them, then I don't think anyone would really notice or take issue.

Although I have been an AVS lurker for the better part of a decade, I've only recently become a poster. The HTPC section of the forums is precisely why I finally came out of the shadows. The stickies were a boon for me. Even though the information was not entirely current in some of them, and others (come back Assassin!) were slowly becoming obsolete, they gave me a rough understanding of what questions I needed to start asking and being aware of.

I've discovered I love XBMC, but I have also discovered that I can find better information through the HTPC section of the AVS forums than I can over at XBMC.org. At the very least, many of the users here have more patience for those of us with little knowledge of how things like XBMC work internally. Just because I can build a PC and put the programs I need in place does not mean I understand how they work or why, or that I understand how to make sure that what I am considering can be accomplished by what I have. The folks over at XBMC, though by no means hostile, seem to have a bit less patience as well.

I'm sure there is something to be said for cleaning up the stickies. But it seems to me that the reason so many of them are out of date is because, instead of maintaining the sticky threads, other threads have become the active discussions populated by knowledgeable AVS users. The Media Browser discussion is one such example. MB3 is the new est version of the program. It's discussion rises tot he top(ish) of the discussions with some frequency. But that particular thread could just as easily have been the continuation of the MB thread that is stickied.

The "guides" in the stickies are not up-to-date. It seems that the reason is that those guides were maintained by a very select few people, and that's never a good recipe for long-term updates. Yet even still, there is a ton of useful information in those "out of date" guides. Once again, at the very least, they help a newbie like me figure out what questions we should be asking.
post #51 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Generally I often find sticky threads helpful. When I go to a forum of an area I am not famililar with, I tend to look at stickies and see what subjects are imortant in the area. Stickes in this forum will be out of date quickly unless they are updated frequenlty, that's the fate of all PC-related subjects. As for each sticky in this forum,

- Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide: Staying current, should be stickied, needless to say.
- Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server: I am going to rewrite the first page soon. Reviving the old sticky format is a good incentive for me to do this.
- FAQ for the 3D HTPC: I am going to start a thread, something like "Video Playback in HTPC" that will include almost all major areas of video playback technologies in (Windows) PC. When this happens, the thread should be unstickied.
- Assassin abandoned maintaining the guide in this forum in favor of his own site. XBMC guide was overtaken by Dark_Slayer. MediaPortal guide is current(?). WMC guide: GreenEyes is dead? It's too early to unsticky them anyway, imo.

Yup, some people may think there are too many stickies, wasting the space. A compromise is allowing each member to hide the stickies he/she does not like to see at the top of each page as StardogChampion metioned. I don't kow how difficult it is to make it possible though.

Last edited by renethx; 06-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.
post #52 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I am tired and I get up at 4:30 AM, so I will catch up on this thread tomorrow. I agree that the stickies need to be cleaned up, especially now that they take up so much space. I need to know which stickies people feel are important and should be kept and which ones are outdated and can be put out to pasture. Please post in this thread, and like I said, I will catch up on things tomorrow and clean them up.

Renethx, I am especially interested in your input on this, as you write a great deal of the most valuable information in this forum...

Last edited by Bob Sorel; 06-13-2014 at 08:13 PM.
post #53 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Personally I don't think any of those deserve to be a sticky. Just because you can have them doesn't mean you should. Many civilized forums have one sticky per subforum simply titled 'Index' or 'Please Read First'. There you can link to as many threads as you desire.
Mfusick and techmattr like this.
post #54 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I agree there should be one sticky with the first post having links to the rest of the "stickies".
post #55 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I would love to see Renethx's Madvr levels as a sticky. One thread with only one post locked in which only Renethx can edit when needed.

A Sticky should be a quick reference to important or useful information. Having a sticky with a thread having 20,000 posts in it isn't very useful. The search button works faster.

With this new format many people are posting comments or suggestions. A new thread is popping up everyday. The moderators are often pointing us to a different thread to post in.
This a perfect example why you would want a sticky, so everyone is posting in the same thread.

Do we really need a Sticky that says to post Mac stuff in the Mac sub-forum and Linux talk in the Linux sub-forum?
Mfusick likes this.

post #56 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Mfusick, how did you get your page to fill the width of the screen? On mine I have the recent topics on the right, and then the main page only uses about 70% of available viewing space.
Mfusick likes this.
post #57 of 103 Old 06-14-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
post #58 of 103 Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Whew, now I'm feeling a little better. I just wish we could have more topics shown on the main page. I'm having to do a lot of next page clicks. You can do 100 replies per thread, but I don't see an option to increase the thread count per page.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 06-14-2014 at 12:17 AM.
post #59 of 103 Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post
I am tired and I get up at 4:30 AM, so I will catch up on this thread tomorrow. I agree that the stickies need to be cleaned up, especially now that they take up so much space. I need to know which stickies people feel are important and should be kept and which ones are outdated and can be put out to pasture. Please post in this thread, and like I said, I will catch up on things tomorrow and clean them up
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
- Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide: Staying current, should be stickied, needless to say.
- Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server: I am going to rewrite the first page soon. Reviving the old sticky format is a good incentive for me to do this.
- FAQ for the 3D HTPC: I am going to start a thread, something like "Video Playback in HTPC" that will include almost all major areas of video playback technologies in (Windows) PC. When this happens, the thread should be unstickied.
- Assassin abandoned maintaining the guide in this forum in favor of his own site. XBMC guide was overtaken by Dark_Slayer. MediaPortal guide is current(?). WMC guide: GreenEyes is dead? It's too early to unsticky them anyway, imo.
  • MPC-HC - definitely agree
  • Guide to Building an HTPC, Workstation, and Server - great to know you are planning an update, the depth of your information is always unparalleled
  • FAQ for the 3D HTPC - your replacement thread will be great. This is an area that leads to confusion, but the info in the thread is old and the focus on 3d vision is no longer necessary. Renethx is always go-to as it is, so a new thread would be great IMO. The sticky definitely has a need
  • Assassin's guide - I'm indifferent here. I'm not sure it's still necessary as a sticky, and it seems likely to perpetuate itself either way. It's a good beginner thread with a lot of questions answered over it's course. It's also been published (mentioned and linked to) by lifehacker and cnet afaik.
  • Mediaportal - way outdated. They are up to version 2.x already, and I have mixed feelings about donation buttons remaining in threads with outdated information
  • WMC - Greeneyez has been mia for some time (more below) Not sure about the status but plenty of info is still applicable, just with outdated links.
  • XBMC - again Greeneyez mia, much to my chagrin I've had carte blanche to update that sticky and left it alone for quite some time. I asked Mike Lang and Bob Sorel nicely to let me give it an update, so the ownership was reassigned to me. However, with the format of the thread, the information takes up 5 or 6 posts. Only the first post can be reassigned, so it will need a new thread to replace it

I guess it's put up / shut up time as far as updating the XBMC sticky goes I intend to update it for Gotham now

Last edited by Dark_Slayer; 06-14-2014 at 01:45 AM.
post #60 of 103 Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I think a few new ones could be helpful

- using a pc as a DVR (focusing on tuners, capture cards, and software)
-"extenders" and spreading media throughout the home
-a comparison of different frontends comparing default features and available plugins
-the various was to achieve 24p (could be part of another one)
-one about real time transcoding and media serving (Plex, MB3, Play On, DLNA, etc)

just a few ideas. I feel like some of the most common questions are "how do I get rid of my cable box" and "how do I get media to other tvs."

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page