Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Does this forum really need any of those stickies ??

Aside from the advanced MPC-HC set up sticky most of those are pointless.

With the new AVS format change taking the first 60% of my screen with them is really a total waste IMO.

If anyone cared about stickies there's bunch more better newer threads on more modern and relevant topics that should be stickied (PLEX, MB3, Front end shootout, MadVR, etc.. )

I'd vote remove them (except the MPC-HC by mindbomb)
StinDaWg and pittsoccer33 like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Seconded. Keep that Advanced MPC-HC setup guide, but the rest can go.
Mfusick and StinDaWg like this.
post #3 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'd vote keep the stickies and remove 85% of your threads - that ought to trim the forum down reasonably well

Seriously though, many of them have been superceded and have in the most part become irrelevant.
Willie, EricN, Mfusick and 2 others like this.
post #4 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I don't even know what stickies are, or how they work......where they in the old version of AVS?

Anyone care to explain
Mfusick likes this.
post #5 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
I don't even know what stickies are, or how they work......where they in the old version of AVS?

Anyone care to explain
I will try sure.

Here is the top page: Where the forum begins. Please note I have 1200p resolution so there is obviously wasted space here since I can't see the first post in the forum that is new with my resolution from the top of the page. That's annoying IMO. It requires a lot of scrolling. Scrolling past crap in most cases.

Then you get here:

Those above ^^^

Those are stickies. They take up a lot of space and most of them are old and irrelevant. You'd expect them to actually be important to the forum if they are stuck at the top and everyone is forced to look at them before any new posts and scroll past them over and over and over again.

The sad truth is that no one really posts in those threads anymore and much of the posting in them is outdated. This forum needs no stickies at all IMO, perhaps just the MPC-HC one because it is well done. But I think it would be bumped up and searched rather easily any how.

We certainly don't need the rest of them though. There is a lot more threads that are better and more relevant that could take their place, or just go without stickies.

It's annoying to go all the way past them and that they take up all of my 27" 1200p monitor and annoyingly scroll past them all the time.

I'd change my tune if anyone every read them, or posted in them but I never see anything intelligent in those. They have almost no action.

If you scroll for a couple hundred miles of page from the top and first pic I posted you will eventually get here:

I think this problem is just worse with the new forum change, a lot more wasted space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	113889   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	113897   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	113905  

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Anyone care to explain
Stickies are threads that have been permanently affixed to the top of the forum so they can be found easily. They were in the previous iteration of AVS in the same location. They just took up significantly less space.
post #7 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Stickies are threads that have been permanently affixed to the top of the forum so they can be found easily. They were in the previous iteration of AVS in the same location. They just took up significantly less space.

Yup.

I think if they were shrunk the problem would be less annoying. My main complaint isn't that they exist or that they are outdated, I can live with both of those. It's that I must put too much effort into scrolling past them and avoiding them. The new forum doesn't flow as well as the old forum.

I think when you have a 27" monitor and greater than 1080p resolution it's reasonable to expect that you can see at least the first few new forum posts from the top of the page. If you can't, there is too much junk. The problem is worse on smaller monitors with lower resolutions, which is why things like mobile sites exist. It would be nice to just fix the issue by making the area stickies contain smaller. Using space wiser, and fitting more onto a page for added convenience.

If we just removed them, i'd be ok with that too. It's been suggested before and for years now. This forum changes too quick, it doesn't need stickies. Nothing is going to last the test of time with PC hardware.

-

post #8 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Those are stickies. They take up a lot of space and most of them are old and irrelevant. You'd expect them to actually be important to the forum if they are stuck at the top and everyone is forced to look at them before any new posts and scroll past them over and over and over again.

The sad truth is that no one really posts in those threads anymore and much of the posting in them is outdated. This forum needs no stickies at all IMO, perhaps just the MPC-HC one because it is well done. But I think it would be bumped up and searched rather easily any how.

We certainly don't need the rest of them though. There is a lot more threads that are better and more relevant that could take their place, or just go without stickies.

It's annoying to go all the way past them and that they take up all of my 27" 1200p monitor and annoyingly scroll past them all the time.

I'd change my tune if anyone every read them, or posted in them but I never see anything intelligent in those. They have almost no action.

I think this problem is just worse with the new forum change, a lot more wasted space.
For starters, I agree with your general complaint that the stickies take up too much room. I'd like to see them shrink somewhat, to reduce the amount of scrolling.

That said, I think a lot of your other complaints about the stickies are misguided.

Saying that no one ever posts in them is just wrong. Look at the last post in each. They look pretty current to me for the most part. Also, not all of them are there for the sake of discussion anyway. Some are there purely as information to be read, not discussed.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that no one reads the stickies as most have several hundred thousand views, a few even have several million views. Saying no one reads them is just wrong.

I'd also venture a guess that any perceived lack of "Action" in those threads is due in part to the fact they were so easily missed in the old layout.

And what do you think the purpose of the stickies are anyway? You seem to be under the impression that they are there to have the threads that you want at the top to make them easier to find for you and I don't think that's what they are actually meant for. Use your subscriptions to handle that. I'd venture a guess that the stickies are there for people that don't have 20,000 posts. They are there for the new people that are unfamiliar with layout and organization. They are there to help people that are fairly new and don't know everything yo do. Of course you don't have a need for most of the stickies, because you have been an active member for quite a while and participate in all the day to day discussion. But just because you don't use them doesn't mean they don't have a purpose.

The lesson as always, is to think outside of your own experience and think of what other people might need and want.
post #9 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
This forum changes too quick, it doesn't need stickies. Nothing is going to last the test of time with PC hardware.
Agreed completely, though I'd argue that if the sticky is kept up to date (how often does that happen though?) it might be worth keeping around. Look at an HTPC setup a year ago compared to one setup now, it'd probably be different in atleast a few ways.
post #10 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I don't find the stickies at the top of the page to be that big of an issue, although I do agree that most of them are a bit dated, if even still mostly relevant. Stickies are where newbies should start their search for info. To consolidate space, perhaps the stickies could be unstuck and replaced with a master index of relevant threads and links. There are certainly other websites that are referenced throughout these threads that would be of interest to many, particulary sites like Assassin's HTPC Blog. Instead of adding a new sticky, just create a new thread and post the link in the index. This should be left up to the mods as to what gets posted there much in the same way as the stickies were designated way back when. I mean, you don't want just anyone posting links there as it would become overwhelmed in short order.
post #11 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I don't know anything about vBulletin to know if this is possible but if the stickies section were collapsible and your selection were remembered, that would work well.

post #12 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
I don't know anything about vBulletin to know if this is possible but if the stickies section were collapsible and your selection were remembered, that would work well.
This is a great suggestion. I like it. I like it very much.

-

post #13 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
IIRC, Yesterday morning, the stickys were smaller (took up less space) and highlighted in yellow. Very different today.

post #14 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For starters, I agree with your general complaint that the stickies take up too much room. I'd like to see them shrink somewhat, to reduce the amount of scrolling.

That said, I think a lot of your other complaints about the stickies are misguided.

Saying that no one ever posts in them is just wrong. Look at the last post in each. They look pretty current to me for the most part. Also, not all of them are there for the sake of discussion anyway. Some are there purely as information to be read, not discussed.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that no one reads the stickies as most have several hundred thousand views, a few even have several million views. Saying no one reads them is just wrong.

I'd also venture a guess that any perceived lack of "Action" in those threads is due in part to the fact they were so easily missed in the old layout.

And what do you think the purpose of the stickies are anyway? You seem to be under the impression that they are there to have the threads that you want at the top to make them easier to find for you and I don't think that's what they are actually meant for. Use your subscriptions to handle that. I'd venture a guess that the stickies are there for people that don't have 20,000 posts. They are there for the new people that are unfamiliar with layout and organization. They are there to help people that are fairly new and don't know everything yo do. Of course you don't have a need for most of the stickies, because you have been an active member for quite a while and participate in all the day to day discussion. But just because you don't use them doesn't mean they don't have a purpose.

The lesson as always, is to think outside of your own experience and think of what other people might need and want.

I think you are reading into things too much. This isn't about me. I was thinking from the angle of everyone. If anything I can scroll past them easier in my personal set up than others probably. But that wasn't the point either.

I honestly think stickies are outdated and with PC hardware you can't keep them for years. It just doesn't make sense. You make the forum seem outdated by doing so too. Imagine that a PC or HTPC enthusiast ventures into this forum and see's the stickies at the top that are very outdated the impression they get is this forum is outdated and stagnant and they go look somewhere else like the MB forums, Plex forums, XBMC forums, Anandtech, Overclockers... etc.. etc...

The truth is this HTPC forum is not outdated at all, but for someone that knew a little and first came here I think they could easily get the wrong impression. Especially considering it will take them two pages of scrolling to even see a recent post.

It honestly has nothing to do with what threads *I" want or *I* am interested in personally. I know our history might lead you to think a certain angle, I'll accept that. I just wanted to clarify this for you.

Outdated stickies give the impression the forum is outdated, and the decision was made a long time ago that no new stickies would be added or changed. Years later that leads to what we have here, which is outdated stickies that really don't deserve to be stickies anymore. They had their day in the sun. If they are important enough they can get bumped up like everyone else now. There is no value in those stickies that is beyond the value in many of the other threads that are not stickied anymore, so I don't understand why we really need them anymore or why they would get preferential treatment.

The only reason there is a couple recent posts in some of them (very few) is because mainly they are stickied and some noobs just go right there to post their questions rather than start a thread or get too far into the forum. The sad part is most veterans of this forum that are in a good position to answer the questions actually ignore the stickies. I find that ironic. I obviously frequent this forum often and I can't remember a time when there was much intelligent discussion or action in any of those stickies.

The MPC-HC one is probably the best of the bunch, as the set up is up to date and current- the thread is well maintained and the subject matter is somewhat advanced and deserving of a sticky.

I know for a fact the MB3 guys and developers would have loved to do a MB3 "how to" and general set up guidance sticky thread, and use the thread for general set up help or questions but no new stickies are being allowed and none are being changed so the effort to do such a project was determined to be not worth it. I'd guess that PLEX could go the same direction. I would have changed my server thread and edited it up to date if I though it had a chance of stickied, but I figured it was always not worth the trouble otherwise and I left it. I probably should try to do this just to be nice. It's a big job though.

Stickies take a lot of responsibility, and if posters that started them are gone and haven't posted in a while I think that means yank them.

-

post #15 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Welp I get what stickies are now......thanks guys
post #16 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Stickies are where newbies should start their search for info.
Not really. Most newbies post in the thread asking the same questions that have been answered in the stickies, the first page, the second page, and so on.

Stickies in general could probably be removed from most all forums on the internet. I have a FAQ sticky in the Remote Control area, but nobody ever reads it and I no longer bother to update it. The same questions that made me write it still get asked over and over again.

post #17 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I honestly think stickies are outdated and with PC hardware you can't keep them for years. It just doesn't make sense. You make the forum seem outdated by doing so too. Imagine that a PC or HTPC enthusiast ventures into this forum and see's the stickies at the top that are very outdated the impression they get is this forum is outdated and stagnant and they go look somewhere else like the MB forums, Plex forums, XBMC forums, Anandtech, Overclockers... etc.. etc...
What is outdated about the stickies?

It's not like there are threads about how to connect your Rage Pro Turbo to your CRT via the composite output. Pretty much everything there is relating to current software and technology.

If I see an active thread that was started 4 years ago and has 4000 posts as recent as yesterday, I'm not going to assume all the information in it is 4 years old.
post #18 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If there was just one sticky for 'Setup Guides', then subthreads beneath that link for each of the setup guides, it would be a nice space saver.
post #19 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Stickies take up the entire top on Tapatalk too
post #20 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Stickies take a lot of responsibility, and if posters that started them are gone and haven't posted in a while I think that means yank them.
Let's look at them:

The first is the best. We all agree on that I think. Mindbomb does a good job with the MPC-HC and it's still a good thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...-mlndbomb.html
Last Activity: 06-11-2014 12:24 AM

Well done. Mindbomb.

The second is a classic in that it's started by renethx (personally my most respected HTPC poster) and it get's very little action but has 5 million views, most of them long before 2014. The thread really serves no purpose whatsoever anymore, and it's not kept up to date so it has no value IMO. But it's a classic, so I feel bad bashing it to hard out of nostalgia. I actually plead guilty to bumping this one a couple times myself. I bumped it a few times and actually deleted my posts later, you'dd see tere is only a few posts from 2014 and there is periods of a month at a time in 2014 with no activity. Verdict: Forum would be better without out, or at least it would not be missed very much if it was gone.

The third gets some action. Dark Slayer actually inherited it, and he put a worthy effort into reviving it and updating it. It's not a ton of action, but I can't say I hate it. It has recent action. I'd suggest starting over might make sense for this one, with a clean slate. The old data in that thread really is not relevant and anything with an old release of XBMC is pointless IMO. The forum would be better off having Darkslayer make a new one that gets stickied, even if it was just a copy paste the important stuff to a clean slate start. I like dark slayer too, so I am hesitant to condem his thread or hammer a nail into it's coffin. This XBMC thread I am basically indifferent about. The forum probably needs some XBMC representation, but a fresh start might be better.

The 4th is the FAQ FOR 3D- Again this one does not get a ton of action, and the majority of the early posts are outdated. I'd also suggest that in 2014 3D isn't so strange or secret at it was 4+ years ago when it started. I'd also think this is a topic that people would use the search function for, or just start a new thread. None of the outdated info in that thread offers anyone any value. I could say it all in three or 4 sentences:

"Intel icore (i3/i5/i7) or modern AMD CPU can do 3D, or modern Nvidia or Radeon GPU cards. You need 3D capable software like TMT, PowerDVD, or stereoscopic player and a 3D capable display. You can rip 3D ISO or discs with MVC encoding into MKV using MakeMKV, or playback from ISO- both work well. Using SBS or Top/Bottom encoding is generally worse performance and/or picture quality and takes more space at full 3D."

What else do people need to know these days ? Verdict: Forum would be fine without it being stickied, it can be bumped if needed. The OP of that thread has not posted in it for years. That alone is grounds for dismissal IMO.

The 5th one is Assassin's guide. This one will be controversial I think so I will tread lightly. Bottom line, he has not posted since he got sent to banned camp 2-11-2014, his brother posts a couple times a month but most of the stuff is generally supporting their HTPC business. The thread is not well maintained since they moved everything over to a dedicated webpage and most of the action in that thread is generally to direct traffic to their "free" guides they get ad revenue per click from their site, and supports their business. I know he is loved so I tread lightly but facts are facts. It seems strange AVS supports driving HTPC traffic to their ad supported sites, as it competes directly with AVS website. If the guide is not maintained on AVS then why the heck is it still stickied ? Just post a link to it is all that is needed, and I don't seem much reason that needs to be stickied. Verdict: Forum would be fine without it being stickied, I doubt the thread would disapear but there is no good reason it must be stuck in everyone's face anymore.

The 6th one is Mediabrowser- That thread is a total joke. It's based on a version that no longer exists and all the posts in that thread are useless. Verdict : get rid of it. Replace with a modern MB3 sticky would also be ok.

The 7th one: HTPC Tweaks and fixes. Total joke. None of that stuff is needed or useful IMO. There has been so many additional and better work around options developed in the last couple years that thread is probably a hindrance at this point. The last time the OP posted was "Last Activity: 01-31-2014 09:18 PM" and he averages "Total Posts: 98 Posts Per Day: 0.04" Verdict: Clearly this needs not be stickied anymore.

The 8th is "show me your HTPC set up" that one is kinda cool. It does not get much action, and certainly does not need to be stickied, but I think a thread like that is fun to look at the pictures and see peoples set ups. Too bad no one uses it anymore. Verdict: Forum would be just fine without it being stickied, and people would still show off their HTPC's.

The 9th is the Mediaportal thread. It has only two posts in the last year- both simple advertisements driving traffic to the new release of media portal. This thread is done, put a fork in it. No reason it's needs to be stickied. The OP only posted twice in the last year, and not a single other AVS member has posted in this thread. The OP can still advertise mediaportal and bump the thread twice a year if he wants but no reason it should be stickied any more. VERDICT: Remove it.

The 10th sticky (mother of god we have over 10 stickies?? WOW. Do we really need these?) is the Windows 7 Media Center one. It's not bad, but it's outdated. It has 6 posts in it from 2014. The first post is primarily driving "donations" through paypal for tech support for the OP. GreenEyes Last Activity: 03-10-2013 08:24 PM So AVS is basically stickied advertising for a guy that hasn't posted here in a year. I'd argue that non of the information in this is really up to date or needed either. Verdict: AVS will be better off removing this sticky.

The 11th is from Bob Sorel. He's a super moderator. I'll take no offense to his post. I also assume "super moderator" means he can post or sticky anything he wants and it's none of my business to say anything about it.

There you go.

This forum would be better without stickies. That is my final answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	317
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	114001  
techmattr likes this.

-

post #21 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
I'd vote keep the stickies and remove 85% of your threads.
I second the motion.
post #22 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
I second the motion.
If you are serious there is an "ignore" feature. Seems easy enough.

-

post #23 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Not really. Most newbies post in the thread asking the same questions that have been answered in the stickies, the first page, the second page, and so on.

Stickies in general could probably be removed from most all forums on the internet. I have a FAQ sticky in the Remote Control area, but nobody ever reads it and I no longer bother to update it. The same questions that made me write it still get asked over and over again.
You'll notice that I said stickies are where newbies SHOULD start, not necessarily where they actually begin when coming here. The whole point of stickies in the first place is to provide essential information in a convenient location so you don't have to search for it.
post #24 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
The funny part is the stickies are in the exact same spot as they've always been. No one had any problem with them before though because they were collapsed into a single line above the non-sticky forum threads. They took up no space. The old UI was pretty much the best forum UI I've seen.... this... this is just depressing.
Mfusick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
You'll notice that I said stickies are where newbies SHOULD start, not necessarily where they actually begin when coming here. The whole point of stickies in the first place is to provide essential information in a convenient location so you don't have to search for it.
But we need to be realistic about this. I just went through the stickies and demonstrated they are abandoned by not just the OP but also forum members. In theory it's a great idea, but in reality it just doesn't work. Evidence is evidence. Those stickies are there and stuck in your face, anyone can venture into one and see it's outdated and irrelevant for the most part.

I'd make note too that removing a sticky doesn't remove the post or the content. The threads will still exist. I'm guessing many of these threads won't disapear, but will get bumped up. I'd expect the Assassin one to hang around with some bumps, the XBMC one would too. I think the MPC-HC would be fine not being stickied, it would also get bumped. Possibly even the 3D one. The rest probably not so much. When there is only a couple recent threads in the last year they obviously are not very useful.

There is a lot more threads that are better around here with much more action and consistent posting in them. Those hang around because the topics are relevant. No sense trying to preserve an out dated thread IMO. PC tech changes to quick. It's just simply unreasonable to expect a stagnant sticky to stand the test of time in this forum. Just get rid of them all is my suggestion. But collapsing them for veterans makes sense too. These stickies pop up to the top of the forum when someone posts anyways just like any other thread, I just don't see the point in having them there.

-

post #26 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Regardless of side issues, like "where do beginners start?," it just seems to make good sense to cull your data presentation occasionally to make the forum more focused and useful to both beginners and frequent visitors. As time passes, there will be new contributors that will launch threads with such rich content and deep broad interest as to rapidly grow and earn their place on the sticky.

I vote to clean house, and make room for future mega-threads. I don't have a burning passion about this, but Mfusick has made a strong case, and taken the time to really analyze what remains there.

This just seems like a no-brainer to me. Surprised that more here don't endorse entropy reversal.
Mfusick likes this.

Last edited by dcard; 06-13-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #27 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcard View Post
Regardless of side issues, like "where do beginners start?," it just seems to make good sense to cull your data presentation occasionally to make the forum more focused and useful to both beginners and frequent visitors. As time passes, there will be new contributors that will launch threads with such rich content and deep broad interest as to rapidly grow and earn their place on the sticky.

I vote to clean house, and make room for future mega-threads. I don't have a burning passion about this, but Mfusick has made a strong case, and taken the time to really analyze what remains there.

This just seems like a no-brainer to me. Surprised that more here don't endorse entropy reversal.
Well, I think there are several issues being discussed here, not just one.

It seems to me most people do agree that the stickies as currently displayed take up too much room. But that is pretty much a layout issue.

There are two other related issues being discussed as well... whether stickies have any merit at all, and whether the current stickies have any merit at all.

To address the latter, I think it's important to actually determine what the intended purpose(s) of the stickies are supposed to be and if those goals are worth the "headache" of scrolling past them, and also if those goals are even being achieved.

If the point is to avoid having a bunch of repetitive "newbie" posts asking the same questions that have been addressed ad nauseum, personally, I think it's well worth the hassle of having to scroll my trackball wheel a few extra times. (and lets' face it's no more trouble than that for anyone using a pointing device built in the last two decades)

Do the stickies actually help prevent that sort of thing? Well that's going to be hard to prove without doing a true side by side comparison, but even then your results are going to be less than reliable, unless they show overwhelmingly one way or the other. (and I doubt that will happen)

I do think that some of them could be replaced, but suggesting that only one of them is even relevant is just silly.

Much of the content there isn't necessarily there for discussion anymore. The problems and issues that they are dealing with have pretty much been solved and addressed within the thread. Just because people aren't throwing on "+1" and "me too" doesn't mean they aren't still useful for informational purposes. Also worth noting there is a significant portion of society that just wants to find the answer to the question they are looking for without having to actually interact with anyone. They don't want to start their own thread or post in someone else's if they can already find the answer posted previously. And I think many of the stickies still provide those answers. Might it be useful to add a sticky for MB3? Sure. But suggesting that the one for version 2 is useless, is wrong. Plenty of people are still using 2.6.2 (myself included) and it works fine for our purposes.

I would even argue that the stickies are the best place for "static" discussions that involve things that aren't necessarily bleeding edge. Things that people still might be searching for information, but not necessarily having a discussion. People might still have plenty of questions about Mediabrowser 2.6.2 or even a problem with it, but the thread for it might otherwise get buried since there aren't any new questions or problems. Products that are actively being worked on and topics that are still in flux will remain at the top of the forums anyway due to the nature of what they are. They don't really need to be stickied.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think the usefulness of the stickies is as cut and dry as some would suggest.
post #28 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I do think that some of them could be replaced, but suggesting that only one of them is even relevant is just silly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think the usefulness of the stickies is as cut and dry as some would suggest.
Agree completely on both points. On the first point,, it really bothers me "that only one of them is relevant." However, I cannot deny Mfusick's logic. For me too, it is down to "one."

What does this mean? Have I just been lurking on these forums too long, and I just want to yawn, or, is there really a lack of compelling, long-running, important-info-packed sticki-able threads worthy of such past efforts such as Renethx's?????
post #29 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Agree completely on both points. On the first point,, it really bothers me "that only one of them is relevant." However, I cannot deny Mfusick's logic. For me too, it is down to "one."
Well, I understand if you say there is only one sticky that is relevant to you, but again, are you even the target audience for the stickies? (that's not a rhetorical question, as I've speculated about the target audience of the stickies but I don't know for sure)

I think several of the stickies still have relevant information for people that are more towards the beginner end of the spectrum. And while he's demonstrated that not all of the threads have a great deal of recent posts, that doesn't necessarily reflect their usefulness, as I mentioned above.

Quote:
What does this mean? Have I just been lurking on these forums too long, and I just want to yawn, or, is there really a lack of compelling, long-running, important-info-packed sticki-able threads worthy of such past efforts such as Renethx's?????

Well, among others, I would consider Mfusick's FlexRAID thread as it has become the de facto "official" thread for that particular topic. But then the question becomes, how specific do you want to get with the stickies? Sure it's a great thread with a lot of traffic, but how many people use or are even interested in FlexRAID? I'd be astonished if it was 5% of the membership that views this forum.
post #30 of 103 Old 06-13-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Let's look at them: The 5th one is Assassin's guide. This one will be controversial I think so I will tread lightly. Bottom line, he has not posted since he got sent to banned camp 2-11-2014, his brother posts a couple times a month but most of the stuff is generally supporting their HTPC business. The thread is not well maintained since they moved everything over to a dedicated webpage and most of the action in that thread is generally to direct traffic to their "free" guides they get ad revenue per click from their site, and supports their business. I know he is loved so I tread lightly but facts are facts. It seems strange AVS supports driving HTPC traffic to their ad supported sites, as it competes directly with AVS website. If the guide is not maintained on AVS then why the heck is it still stickied ? Just post a link to it is all that is needed, and I don't seem much reason that needs to be stickied. Verdict: Forum would be fine without it being stickied, I doubt the thread would disapear but there is no good reason it must be stuck in everyone's face anymore.
More incorrect information from MFusick. Looks like while the appearance of AVS has changed his behavior has not and he continues to troll and defame whoever and whatever he wants with absolutely zero actual knowledge about what he is saying.

When this is disallowed I will return to post. Until then its just not worth my time.
staknhalo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page