Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
SSD Raid0

I just got a second SSD in the mail and have a few questions about raid0

Do I have to wipe both of them to set it up? And do I just go into the bios and set it to raid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
EDIT: Interesting, I learned something new today.

Last edited by Ou8thisSN; 06-14-2014 at 07:06 PM.
post #3 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
you dont need to run SSDs in raid0. SSDs already saturate the SATA bus, so its not like you're going to see some sort of performance benefit by doing this. RAID0 made sense for HDDs because of the inherent slow throughput you get from spinning discs.

Thats strange because I just watched some videos on the benchmarks for 2, 3, and 4 ssd's and seemed like they are quite a bit faster in raid.

Mike Clough #24
post #4 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 434
SATA systems only have 1 drive per channel so channel bandwidth is pretty much irrelevant to RAID-0 performance scaling. Performance should scale pretty much linearly with HDDs or SSDs until you run into bandwidth limitations from the bus the controller is connected to (typically PCIe)

That said, setting up RAID-0 on your system will depend on what motherboard/sata controller you are using. Generally speaking, the data on your existing SSD will be lost in the process of converting to RAID-0, but in most cases all you'll need to do is enable RAID, go into the RAID BIOS and create a RAID-0 array by adding your two drives. Once the array is created you might have to change your boot order as well to have your PC boot from the new array. Reinstall/restore your OS (assuming this is your OS drive) and you're back in business.
post #5 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Also should consider performance need vs data security.

For an htpc or a gaming rig RAID for ssd's are utterly superfluous in my opionion, and if either of the drives dies, breaks or whatever you loose ALL data on both drives.
post #6 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have a asrock z77. I bought a second SSD to run raid and have seen videos showing the performance of it. So it's actually not worthwhile? Seemed as if you get a big boost each ssd you add until the 4th.

Mike Clough #24
post #7 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
You'll increase your performance by the number of drives you add the array until you saturate the controller. The Intel controller tops out just under 2GB/s. So you're limited to about 4 SSDs before adding more won't increase performance. So if you're talking about non-critical data then yes RAID0 SSD is completely worth it up until the controller is saturated.

Last edited by techmattr; 06-14-2014 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 View Post
Quote:
you dont need to run SSDs in raid0. SSDs already saturate the SATA bus, so its not like you're going to see some sort of performance benefit by doing this. RAID0 made sense for HDDs because of the inherent slow throughput you get from spinning discs.

Thats strange because I just watched some videos on the benchmarks for 2, 3, and 4 ssd's and seemed like they are quite a bit faster in raid.

Yes they are. In fact since good SSD's nearly saturate Sata3 ports, by combining SSD's you can achieve 2x, 3x, and even 4x the speed of a SATA port because you actually use multiple ports and the total of each adds up to the cumulative.

RAID 0 SSD's aren't just faster, they are twice as fast or more.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
I have a asrock z77. I bought a second SSD to run raid and have seen videos showing the performance of it. So it's actually not worthwhile? Seemed as if you get a big boost each ssd you add until the 4th.
Yeah. For sure. Like Techmattr said. Go for it. I run RAID 0 SSD's for my OS all the time. It works great. Nice way to get huge speed with small and crappy SSD drives.

A few small crappy older SSD's in RAID 0 will blow away a high end bigger drive like a 256GB or 512GB.

I'd take (3) 120GB drives for the same price any day. Going over 1000MB/sec usually happens with just 2 drives. 3 or 4 you'll be doing great.

Make sure you use the newest chipset drivers and BIOS on your board if you want to pass TRIM.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
I just got a second SSD in the mail and have a few questions about raid0

Do I have to wipe both of them to set it up? And do I just go into the bios and set it to raid?
First select RAID mode in BIOS. Then enter Intel OPROM (Ctrl+I) and set up RAID 0. You automatically lose all data in the drives. Then install OS there.

If you want to migrate from the existing OS drive (I assume you installed OS in AHCI mode) to the RAID 0 drives, you have to do something in addition to simple backup/recover process because of the conflict between AHCI and RAID modes. Clean installation is easier.
post #11 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I also just realized my ssd's arent exactly identical. Crucial M4 and the new MX100. Is this going to work?

Mike Clough #24
post #12 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I also just realized my ssd's arent exactly identical. Crucial M4 and the new MX100. Is this going to work?
if they're the same size, it should just work.

If they are different capacities, you'll be limited to 2x the size of the smallest drive, but should still function just fine.
post #13 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yes they are. In fact since good SSD's nearly saturate Sata3 ports, by combining SSD's you can achieve 2x, 3x, and even 4x the speed of a SATA port because you actually use multiple ports and the total of each adds up to the cumulative.

RAID 0 SSD's aren't just faster, they are twice as fast or more.

You'll never see 4x performance for an SSD raid of 4 drives. Performance gains start to diminish as you pass 2 drives, the third still gives quite a good gain, but the fourth is minimal. This is one of the best tests dealing with SSD raid 0 and numbers of striped drives: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,3613.html

They test from 1 to 6 drives in that review. I personally use 3 Samsung 840 pro's in raid 0.
post #14 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Quote:
if they're the same size, it should just work.

If they are different capacities, you'll be limited to 2x the size of the smallest drive, but should still function just fine.
Ah, screw it. Gonna give it a shot!

Mike Clough #24
post #15 of 64 Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah, screw it. Gonna give it a shot!
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
post #16 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Still don't see the point. A single SSD is fine for most O/S use, and leaps and bounds over what we had before. RAID0 just introduces extra risk (although I understand modern SSD's are generally very reliable). I'd actually use RAID1 if I had the choice. While you lose half the space, you get the benefit of dual drive reads, but the resiliance or a mirror.

SSD's are cheap enough these days to consider this.
post #17 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post
Still don't see the point. A single SSD is fine for most O/S use, and leaps and bounds over what we had before. RAID0 just introduces extra risk (although I understand modern SSD's are generally very reliable). I'd actually use RAID1 if I had the choice. While you lose half the space, you get the benefit of dual drive reads, but the resiliance or a mirror.

SSD's are cheap enough these days to consider this.
In theory, yes. But not all controllers distribute reads across a RAID1 array so in most cases the performance is equal to (or often slightly lower than) a single drive. Unless things have changed recently, the Windows RST driver does not distribute reads.

The point is to have a faster system drive. For some people, that is more important than data security.
post #18 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

So I Am having an installation issue. After I put in my key and then it goes through copying windows files, getting files ready for installation 100%, installing features, updates, finishing up I get this error.

"setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file. Contact the vendor of your windows installation disc or your system administrator for assistance."

I did burn the win8 iso to a dvd-r and it seems to work if I go back into raid and delete the raid boot, and then boot normally it seems to continue past that point. I'm now at work and will try putting windows onto a flash drive and try that when I get home as well but I'm hoping to get some pointers if anybody has an idea what I'm doing wrong.

Mike Clough #24

Last edited by Mikeclough24; 06-15-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: mistake
post #19 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

My own test results:

Toshiba 128GB SSD & Vertex 4 128GB SSD:

RAID 0 (Toshiba+Vertex4) & RAID 1 (Toshiba+Vertex4):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	THNSNH128GCST - AHCI.png
Views:	27
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	130114   Click image for larger version

Name:	VERTEX4 - AHCI.png
Views:	25
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	130122   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAID 0.png
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	130130   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAID 1.png
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	130138  

Last edited by renethx; 06-21-2014 at 08:10 PM.
post #20 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The point is to have a faster system drive. For some people, that is more important than data security.
how much faster is it, really? in real world use, what is 2 or 3 ssd drives really giving you? my system with 1 drive boots in less than 10 seconds to desktop, and after that, any applications I launch, launch instantly. If application launch times were reduced, I couldnt physically perceive it. so whats this all doing? is your computer getting to the desktop in 2 seconds from a cold start with 3 drives running raid0?
post #21 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
So I Am having an installation issue. After I put in my key and then it goes through copying windows files, getting files ready for installation 100%, installing features, updates, finishing up I get this error.

"setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file. Contact the vendor of your windows installation disc or your system administrator for assistance."

I did burn the win8 iso to a dvd-r and it seems to work if I go back into raid and delete the raid boot, and then boot normally it seems to continue past that point. I'm now at work and will try putting windows onto a flash drive and try that when I get home as well but I'm hoping to get some pointers if anybody has an idea what I'm doing wrong.
Try installing the iso on to a flash drive by using this
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
post #22 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Try this: Delete the RAID array in Intel OPROM. Attach only a single SSD and install OS on it (in RAID mode of course). Install Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) software. Attach another SSD. Launch Intel RST software and create a RAID 0 array with it. Data moving begins immediately. When finished (~15 minutes), reboot the system and enlarge the partition in Windows control panel > disk management.

Last edited by renethx; 06-15-2014 at 10:52 AM.
post #23 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
Personally I recommend GPT over MBR (any reason to use it in the latest system?). Just copy the entire contents of ISO to a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32. That's it. Detailed instruction to install Win8.1 using UEFI.

But I feel the problem is not a bad DVD-R.

Last edited by renethx; 06-15-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #24 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
how much faster is it, really? in real world use, what is 2 or 3 ssd drives really giving you? my system with 1 drive boots in less than 10 seconds to desktop, and after that, any applications I launch, launch instantly. If application launch times were reduced, I couldnt physically perceive it. so whats this all doing? is your computer getting to the desktop in 2 seconds from a cold start with 3 drives running raid0?
Depends on what you're doing as to how much the change will be noticed. Maybe he does different things with his computer than you do with yours. Why do people install supercharges on their car that are already more than capable of going the speed limit? Why do you live in a house/apartment that's probably 4x the size of the hut housing a family of 9 in southeast Asia? Because sometimes people just want a little more than what they already have, and a little more than what they need.

What he's attempting to do isn't crazy, or absurd, or even unreasonable. It isn't some affront to the computing gods. So why would you care if he does it or not? He isn't spending $500 on HDMI cabvles to improve his picture quality. He isn't buying $200 oxygen-free power cable to get cleaner power to his power supply. He isn't installing "ram doubler" software or any other scams out there. He's just doubling (theoretically) the size and performance of his system drive. Why is that such a problem for people?

Oh, and I frequently create windows install images with DISM, and I've been mulling over getting a 2nd SSD because creating windows install images with DISM is just the sort of thing that would see a real world benefit from a striped SSD. But to address your issue more broadly, any activity that is IO bound (and many activities on a PC are) should see a performance increase.
post #25 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
Quote:

I just finished putting win8 onto a flash drive. Is it diferent by doing it the link?

Mike Clough #24
post #26 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Depends on what you're doing as to how much the change will be noticed. Maybe he does different things with his computer than you do with yours. Why do people install supercharges on their car that are already more than capable of going the speed limit? Why do you live in a house/apartment that's probably 4x the size of the hut housing a family of 9 in southeast Asia? Because sometimes people just want a little more than what they already have, and a little more than what they need.

What he's attempting to do isn't crazy, or absurd, or even unreasonable. It isn't some affront to the computing gods. So why would you care if he does it or not? He isn't spending $500 on HDMI cabvles to improve his picture quality. He isn't buying $200 oxygen-free power cable to get cleaner power to his power supply. He isn't installing "ram doubler" software or any other scams out there. He's just doubling (theoretically) the size and performance of his system drive. Why is that such a problem for people?

Oh, and I frequently create windows install images with DISM, and I've been mulling over getting a 2nd SSD because creating windows install images with DISM is just the sort of thing that would see a real world benefit from a striped SSD. But to address your issue more broadly, any activity that is IO bound (and many activities on a PC are) should see a performance increase.

It's an addiction lol.

Mike Clough #24
post #27 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Quote:
Try this: Delete the RAID array in Intel OPROM. Attach only a single SSD and install OS on it (in RAID mode of course). Install Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) software. Attach another SSD. Launch Intel RST software and create a RAID 0 array with it. Data moving begins immediately. When finished, reboot the system and enlarge the partition in Windows control panel > disk management.
Will definitely give this a shot when I get home. Thanks!

All ideas give me more things to troubleshoot!

Mike Clough #24
post #28 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I just finished putting win8 onto a flash drive. Is it diferent by doing it the link?
Just copy = UEFI boot and create GPT partition table (see this instruction)
Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool = Traditional (?) boot and create MBR partition table (archaic).

Use the former.
post #29 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's an addiction lol.

why dont you just get one pcie SSD. that has the same performance as 3 SSDs in raid0.
post #30 of 64 Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Just copy = UEFI boot and create GPT partition table (see this instruction)
Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool = Traditional (?) boot and create MBR partition table (archaic).

Use the former.
I stumbled on this conversation and it reminded me of quotes on my Synology.com user forum. If you do a search under SSD you will find 1122 posts covering all aspects of SSD use. Also ajhieb sounds like the advice that would be given by a senior monitor on our site. Over years of listening I wound up using SHR2 which is equivalent to Raid 6. When you have terabytes of information gathered over years replacing my data would be very difficult if not impossible.
Rich
P.S. - Your data will fail, it's only a matter of when.

Last edited by richjh101; 06-15-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page