1Likes
  • 1 Post By pylor

post #1 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Is this system reusable?

Hello all, I was given an old gateway system with Windows XP. Was thinking of maybe using it for HTC. I am wondering if it's even worth it trying to salvage anything from it. Here is what I have been able to gather

Pentium 4 2.40Ghz
mATX mPGA478B (serial # 40081 I believe)
One 512mb DDR 266MHZ stick of ram

Bellow are some pictures I have taken of the system.

Since this board has IDE connectors I would think there is really no point in doing anything with it. Plus the I/O shield is proprietary so I don't think I could use this case with an upgraded motherboard.

Also I haven't been able to find any info on this board at all on-line, either through Intel or Gateway.

I haven't been able to turn it on since I don't have a monitor available at the moment, if I did I could probably get more info on the main system.

Looking forward for everybody's input. Thanks in advance.

Ps . I forgot to mention that this system came with a cooler master fan part number 8006265. After looking for it online it is listed as a gateway fan. Now could I take this fan and use it on a new update system as replacement to a stock fan? Or was it only designed for this system?

Last edited by adinis; 06-16-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I imagine that thing is at least capable of playing 720p under windows or openelec. The question is do you actually wanna invest money on a cheap video card to get an hdmi out and possibly enough power to do full 1080p?

Personally I wouldn't stick a dime into that thing. You shouldn't reuse that cpu cooler as it is likely only suitable for that specific socket and it only is 3 pin where modern coolers are all 4pin pwm

post #3 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wouldn't put windows on it with only 512mb of ram. Openelec or something else linux oriented would be your best bet. My parents have a similar system (with 1.5GB ram) that I bought a $40 AGP ATi 4670 (something along those lines) for hardware decoding. It works ok, sometimes. The problem is that they run windows and even with the P4 OCed to 3Ghz, anytime the EPG for windows media center updates the picture stutters.

Now I would personally rather get a raspberry pi or something similar. Just not worth it for those old machines imo; they're too big, use too much power, and they don't have the computing capability to handle modern media and operating systems.
ilovejedd likes this.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post
I imagine that thing is at least capable of playing 720p under windows or openelec. The question is do you actually wanna invest money on a cheap video card to get an hdmi out and possibly enough power to do full 1080p?

Personally I wouldn't stick a dime into that thing. You shouldn't reuse that cpu cooler as it is likely only suitable for that specific socket and it only is 3 pin where modern coolers are all 4pin pwm

I was going as far as looking into getting a discreet video card, a Sata III controller card and a new psu but that was getting expensive.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor View Post
I wouldn't put windows on it with only 512mb of ram. Openelec or something else linux oriented would be your best bet. My parents have a similar system (with 1.5GB ram) that I bought a $40 AGP ATi 4670 (something along those lines) for hardware decoding. It works ok, sometimes. The problem is that they run windows and even with the P4 OCed to 3Ghz, anytime the EPG for windows media center updates the picture stutters.

Now I would personally rather get a raspberry pi or something similar. Just not worth it for those old machines imo; they're too big, use too much power, and they don't have the computing capability to handle modern media and operating systems.
Can't do openelc as I need Windows to be able to install mpc-hc. I was having issues playing back yard videos using the built in Xbmc video player.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor View Post
Agreed. I wouldn't exactly go for the RPi, though. I'd opt for Kabini or Celeron 1037u or similar.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

I was just asking site the system didn't cost me anything, I am still planning on building a proper system once funds become available.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 122
this should be an agp slot in the system so you can't add a gpu to use dxva for playback so give this thing up.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. Any other type of use I could get out of it if not for an HTPC.?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I'd say you could use the case and maybe the PSU

I've used an old case before, but replaced the psu. There are still motherboards with the 4 pin cpu header instead of 8, and if you aren't adding pci devices or overclocking the 4 pin header can work in an 8 pin spot on a newer motherboard. Can't see if the PSU was 20 or 24 pin

As to the mobo, cpu, ram, cooler . . . try to find some crafty-art project to use them in or get rid of them

The HDD with pata connector is not useful either, but if you take it apart the data platters make really cool coasters IMO

Also, before scrapping, you can give something like this a shot http://chromeos.hexxeh.net. Your best bet is a power-hogging web machine that you can donate to someone. I've been meaning to try booting chromeOS on an old P4 dell. If I can get the instructions and on/off bulletproof, I've been thinking of setting it up at a relatives as a no-frills net top
post #11 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I'd say you could use the case and maybe the PSU

I've used an old case before, but replaced the psu. There are still motherboards with the 4 pin cpu header instead of 8, and if you aren't adding pci devices or overclocking the 4 pin header can work in an 8 pin spot on a newer motherboard. Can't see if the PSU was 20 or 24 pin

As to the mobo, cpu, ram, cooler . . . try to find some crafty-art project to use them in or get rid of them

The HDD with pata connector is not useful either, but if you take it apart the data platters make really cool coasters IMO

Also, before scrapping, you can give something like this a shot http://chromeos.hexxeh.net. Your best bet is a power-hogging web machine that you can donate to someone. I've been meaning to try booting chromeOS on an old P4 dell. If I can get the instructions and on/off bulletproof, I've been thinking of setting it up at a relatives as a no-frills net top
I would like to keep the case but I'm afraid I can't, I can't swap the I/O shield as its proprietary along with the motherboard. So I guess it's just a junk of metal, and a heavy one at that. Will have to look at a the power connector of the psu to see if it's a 20 or 24 pin, should have done that when I took the system apart, maybe I could use it as a test psu.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinis View Post
I would like to keep the case but I'm afraid I can't, I can't swap the I/O shield as its proprietary along with the motherboard. So I guess it's just a junk of metal, and a heavy one at that. Will have to look at a the power connector of the psu to see if it's a 20 or 24 pin, should have done that when I took the system apart, maybe I could use it as a test psu.
Many of the computer sellers like Gateway, Dell, HP and so on use parts that are tailored to a specific build and not standard. Additionally, technology changes.

I was able to reuse a PSU and ATX case from a previous build but the new motherboard had connectors pointing forward rather than up and it made connections difficult but not impossible. It is important to identify the components you want to use, the necessary connections and the dimensions of each part and the space in the case.

I have a multi purpose computer and prefer to put multiple drives, my motherboard, PSU, memory, CPU and GPU in a larger case, but others use their home theater computer solely for media and use a tiny case. There are many ways to build a computer.

You may indeed need a new case and a new PSU.

Renethx, a regular poster in AVS forum used to publish suggested components which would work together. Tomshardware.com posts builds, however usually not specifically HTPC builds. If you are not a gamer you can save money and have less heat and noise by selecting parts only capable of doing what you want to do.

In two years you will have aging technology. In five years you will have an antique.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

A $10 IDE/PATA add-on card can put those IDE/PATA hard drives into a small pool for storage. I saved 4x of the 300 GB drives from the land fill, and use them as "My Documents" drive in RAID5 on my desktop. This allows me to use really cheap 64 GB SSD as the system drive.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

OK another silly question. I was given another old pc but this time it came with a Xeon processor. Now let's not get excited as I did. From what I could find out this is the one I have based on he markings http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL56N.html. It's from a Windows 2000 machine and I take it it was used as a workstation of some kind. Anyone know of any good uses for this processor? Or just bin it? I think I might be able to use the case as the I/O shield seems to be removable, and the psu is rated at 400w. I have not forced up the machine yet but I could once I put the processor back on the motherboard. Thanks again for the input.
Reply Home Theater Computers