Building a second HTPC:
1-Antec 300-150 chassis
2-Title MB
3-Intel Haswell i3-4130 CPU
4-GSkill Ripjaws 8GB
5-WD 2.5" 2TB HDD
6-Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SDD
7-picoPSU 160

First HTPC was Silverstone, Gigabyte MB, Samsung HDD, Samsung ODD, Intel i3 Sandy Bridge, etc. No issues, working nicely

With new build I have no video. Powers up (chassis light on, fans running) but no video thru HDMI or DVI. Using same Samsung monitor/TV as with first build. What, other than competence, might I be missing?

Thanks,
SteveMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you get the BIOS flash screen when it turns on? That should come up in the absence of any video driver loading. Also if you are using a TV make sure that you have it set to the right input (I've made that mistake before). Usually I always use a regular monitor to do the Windows installation and component checks before hooking it up to a TV.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange14 View Post
Do you get the BIOS flash screen when it turns on? That should come up in the absence of any video driver loading. Also if you are using a TV make sure that you have it set to the right input (I've made that mistake before). Usually I always use a regular monitor to do the Windows installation and component checks before hooking it up to a TV.
Nothing on the screen. Absolutely nothing. Actually I misspoke, the Samsung monitor I'm using is just a monitor (with one DVI and one HDMI input) and not a TV. The only indication I have is that the blue LED lights on the chassis and the fans are running. Also tried on a Samsung TV with HDMI only and again no video (not BIOS screen or anything else).

Still puzzled.
SteveMA
post #4 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Look in the Asrock manual for info on Dr Debug codes. There is a little 2-digit LED screen on the mobo that will flash various codes as it boots up. The codes represent various errors. Find out which code(s) it is throwing, then google or look in the manual.

FYI - it is digital clock font, so it can be confusing as to whether you are seeing a "6" or a "b", or "8" vs "B". If you can't find the code it is throwing, consider that you may be misreading it due to this.

I encountered a similar no-video problem with a build once. The codes set me in the right direction... Can't remember now - I was either underpowering the gpu or the mobo. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 12:54 PM

take the MoBo out of the case and connect only the SSD, RAM and PSU and see if you can get it to at least show the BIOS screen. this would rule out some kind of short that the case might be causing with the MoBo. I once had a problem with a Gigabyte board where the DVI port died right after Windows installation but the two HDMI ports worked. The fact that neither of your video outputs work indicates a MoBo problem but as noted above see if you get a debug code.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Look in the Asrock manual for info on Dr Debug codes. There is a little 2-digit LED screen on the mobo that will flash various codes as it boots up. The codes represent various errors. Find out which code(s) it is throwing, then google or look in the manual.

FYI - it is digital clock font, so it can be confusing as to whether you are seeing a "6" or a "b", or "8" vs "B". If you can't find the code it is throwing, consider that you may be misreading it due to this.

I encountered a similar no-video problem with a build once. The codes set me in the right direction... Can't remember now - I was either underpowering the gpu or the mobo. Good luck!
I've looked over the MB and the manual (Z87e-itx) and I can't find any LED screen. There is no mention of Dr Debug or his codes anywhere that I can see in the manual. I see no blinking lights anywhere on the MB or back panel. Still puzzled!!
SteveMA
post #7 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hmm. I assumed they had that on all of their boards. Any beeps? Orange is probably on the right track. Eliminate every component except the minimums he listed.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you might try putting a video card in to test and see if bios shows up on that
post #9 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhorn View Post
you might try putting a video card in to test and see if bios shows up on that
I'll have to get one but if that's what it takes. This is a replacement board as the first gave no video either. Interestingly, the board lacks the "sticker" on which the BIOS version is/was listed (as it was on the 1st board from Newegg). Perhaps I should've stuck with Gigabyte (built a couple PC's with their boards, with no issues).

I'll see what a video card does. Thanks,
SteveMA
PS, I did take MB out of chassis per Orange14's suggestion. No video here either and for what its worth no beeps.

Last edited by SteveMA; 06-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Make sure the power/reset switches are connected to the motherboard headers with the right "polarity". The manual tells you which pins are +/- I know it sounds absurd that the power/reset pins should cause this as they are just a momentary contact logic, but for some reason certain Asrock boards are sensitive to that. To me, it has always happened with Asrock boards only, no other boards.

No explanation as to why it works or doesn't work either. It just is. Can't hurt to try.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
Make sure the power/reset switches are connected to the motherboard headers with the right "polarity". The manual tells you which pins are +/- I know it sounds absurd that the power/reset pins should cause this as they are just a momentary contact logic, but for some reason certain Asrock boards are sensitive to that. To me, it has always happened with Asrock boards only, no other boards.

No explanation as to why it works or doesn't work either. It just is. Can't hurt to try.
I'll give it a look again. Pretty sure I had polarity right but it surely doesn't hurt to check again.

Edit:
I gave another look and I have the polarity for the power/reset correct.

Last edited by SteveMA; 06-21-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Addition to comment
post #12 of 14 Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 AM

You could try clearing the CMOS and then see if it works (page 25 in the manual). I just checked the manual and you don't have any LEDs or MoBo debugging features here. Maybe a call to Asrock help is warranted since this is the 2nd board with the same problem. Who knows, maybe there is just a simple solution.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange14 View Post
You could try clearing the CMOS and then see if it works (page 25 in the manual). I just checked the manual and you don't have any LEDs or MoBo debugging features here. Maybe a call to Asrock help is warranted since this is the 2nd board with the same problem. Who knows, maybe there is just a simple solution.
I've sent a note to their customer service department. They don't seem to have a phone contact option. Weird!!
SteveMA
post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If you have fans running and board is powered up I would suspect the RAM. Does the mobo have a DRAM LED? It will light up red if the memory test fails.
You may have a bad stick of memory or maybe the mobo doesn't like this particular model of RAM.
Try with just one stick in all memory slots one after another and see if it boots.

Also, the pins in the Intel CPU sockets are incredibly sensitive to getting bent. All it needs is a dropped screw or fumble when seating the CPU and you will have bent pins. This can cause all kinds of weird symptoms, like making one memory channel inop. Happened to me twice.
The AMD sockets are much better.
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page