Cox Communications - CableCARD + HD HomeRun Prime (3 or 6 tuner) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cox Communications - CableCARD + HD HomeRun Prime (3 or 6 tuner)

Special considerations must be taken when you get this setup, you NEED a switched digital tuner in order to receive all channels correctly, however, do NOT expect windows media center to play those channels correctly at all. The channels requiring the SDV typically cause WMC to completely crash and I would recommend another option for your viewing needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Moved to proper forum.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
You need a tuning adapter.

You should of received a tuning adapter(at no charge) from Cox when you got the cable card.

I have been using a cable card tuner with Cox for years with no problems. I started with a Ceton and now am using a Homerun.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynagen View Post
Special considerations must be taken when you get this setup, you NEED a switched digital tuner in order to receive all channels correctly, however, do NOT expect windows media center to play those channels correctly at all. The channels requiring the SDV typically cause WMC to completely crash and I would recommend another option for your viewing needs.
As pointed out above, you simply need a TA (if you have the old 6-tuner version, you need two TAs). This is case with majority of other cable providers (except FiOS and Comcast).
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 352
That's definitely not normal. WMC works fine with SDV. You must be having some kind of driver issue or hardware failure.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Moved to proper forum.
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
You should of received a tuning adapter(at no charge) from Cox when you got the cable card.

I have been using a cable card tuner with Cox for years with no problems. I started with a Ceton and now am using a Homerun.
I started with the Homerun, I've heard nothing but good about these, and it was well worth the wait to get one, I love this thing. And I had problems receiving certain channels in my area at all, namely all HBOs in the 200s aside from 200 & 201, the rest just did not show, and same with Starz, I only got 260, nothing else. In the high end, I was missing 1261 as well, and a number of other HD versions of channels. After adding in the TA, I went from scanning ~270 programs, to ~380 programs, there was a TON I was missing and didn't realize it. I didn't get the TA in the first place because I ordered my CC over the phone, and just the CC, it was all self install (which wasn't all that smooth, but persistence paid off). Had a tech come out and drop a TA on me, it's an extra equipment fee, but it's $4.50 total, compared to the $12 for the stupid DVR in the other room, and I have 20tb of DVR capable storage in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That's definitely not normal. WMC works fine with SDV. You must be having some kind of driver issue or hardware failure.
After tearing it down and redoing all the wiring to kind of spread my entertainment setup out (it ended up becoming a giant jumble of wires and equipment in one small cubby, bad bad bad) I repaired the TA to the CC and now all is well. Windows Media Center doesn't like the slightest hiccup in the data stream else it throws a fit on me, but I feel like that's to be expected with Microsoft.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
cox communications , hd homerun prime , switched digital video

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page