Hoping to setup WMC for Live TV. Questions about extenders/players.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Hoping to setup WMC for Live TV. Questions about extenders/players..

Hi guys and girls. There's a couple of spots on the forums that this may belong to so I'm hoping I'm posting this in the most relevant area.

I am looking to cut the cord. My plan is to get 1 or two HD Homerun duals and plug them into my Gbit router using OTA antenna. I already have a PC to be my WMC Host (Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p 5067A1U Desktop Computer Core i5 i5-2400S 2.5GHz). I am looking to either use the same PC or another device to be my media player. The part where I'm running into trouble is that I need this media player/PC to simultaneously broadcast the same audio to the TV via HDMI and to my Onkyo surround sound system via digital audio/SPDIF.

From everything I've read so far, windows 7 can not have two active audio devices so I can not just purchase an audio card with SPDIF to add to the PC without having to disable/enable devices every time I need to use an alternative device.

I've been looking into the xBox 360 but apparently those don't have digital audio out.

I currently have a Boxee box and WD Media player Live but neither of those are WMC extenders.

So this is where I am stuck. Any ideas or thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Xbox 360 does have optical out. You could also just run optical out from your TV to your AVR. Ceton Echo is another extender with optical out. Many ways to skin this cat.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Xbox 360 does have optical out. You could also just run optical out from your TV to your AVR. Ceton Echo is another extender with optical out. Many ways to skin this cat.
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking at XBox's on eBay. Enough though many don't have pictures of te back, the ones that do I don't see any optical ports. Also, as far as the optical out on the TV, Would that just work as a passthrough? If the tv itself doesn't have Dolby/DTS encoder, would it still pass the signal through? I should mention that I am not too familiar with the audio coding/decoding process. I'm also looking at the Ceton Echo. I've submitted a question on Amazon for it asking if it does simultaneous audio broadcast through HDMI and optical. I don't mind paying for it if that's what I gotta do. Thanks again!
post #4 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahfly112 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking at XBox's on eBay. Enough though many don't have pictures of te back, the ones that do I don't see any optical ports. Also, as far as the optical out on the TV, Would that just work as a passthrough? If the tv itself doesn't have Dolby/DTS encoder, would it still pass the signal through? I should mention that I am not too familiar with the audio coding/decoding process. I'm also looking at the Ceton Echo. I've submitted a question on Amazon for it asking if it does simultaneous audio broadcast through HDMI and optical. I don't mind paying for it if that's what I gotta do. Thanks again!
I don't believe the Echo will output over SPDIF and HDMI at the same time. I seem to recall it being either one or the other. Not sure about the 360.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all you can pass over SPDIF is AC-3 and PCM, right? I don't think it will work with DTS.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
I don't believe the Echo will output over SPDIF and HDMI at the same time. I seem to recall it being either one or the other. Not sure about the 360.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all you can pass over SPDIF is AC-3 and PCM, right? I don't think it will work with DTS.
Thank you. At the same time, to add on that question, if I'm using HD Homerun dual with windows media center, is any of it really DTS? It may very not not be. Could be just Dolby digital audio which I think is the same as AC3...
post #6 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. At the same time, to add on that question, if I'm using HD Homerun dual with windows media center, is any of it really DTS? It may very not not be. Could be just Dolby digital audio which I think is the same as AC3...
AFAIK all of the broadcast/cable/terrestrial/satellite standards use PCM or AC-3. So unless you're playing Bluray rips or something along that line, you shouldn't have to worry about DTS. If you're just sticking with Live/Recorded TV then you should be fine. With that said, I would try mdajej's suggestion of running HDMI to yout TV, then optical from your TV to your receiver.

That should be by far the easiest solution.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.

Last edited by ajhieb; 06-22-2014 at 10:19 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

As to the Xbox question, if it is not a "Slim" version, the optical port is on the AV Cable you plug into the back of the 360.

Toys

My Gear
post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
My Sony TV passes DD5.1 bitstream from any input back out through its optical port. I ran that way for years before I got a new AVR with HDMI. Many, but not all recent TVs (within the past 5 years or so) will pass through at least DD5.1. Your AVR will decode it. Try it and see.

I have several Echoes, but I've never tried simultaneous HDMI and optical. I have no reason to think it wouldn't work. All my other devices output over optical and HDMI at the same time.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have an optical cable handy with which to test, but based on the Echo settings page it doesn't appear to offer a choice of both. That's not to say it doesn't work, but at the very least it doeasn't appear to.
Attached Images
File Type: png echo.png (25.7 KB, 55 views)

post #10 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I am using Linksys DMA2100 for dual output. Video/Audio to TV via HDMI, and additional Audio out of RCA in the back to a wireless headphone transmitter.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #11 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Xbox 360 does dual audio output via HDMI AND optical.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks eeryone! I apprecaite your help. I'm going to try the xbox.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
extender , spdif , windows media center , wmc , Xbox

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page