Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
adding Bluetooth pci-e card

tired of my wired keyboard and mouse, need wireless
I want to add Bluetooth to my HTPC but WITHOUT A DONGLE. any pci-e card suggestions? I found this http://www.amazon.com/IEEE-802-11ac-...tooth+4.0+card

my MOBO is : Gigabyte H77-DS3H
wifi adapter : rosewill pci-e

will this work and can I use this for Bluetooth(only) and remain using my rosewill wifi (for wifi only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 367
That should work.

Having said that, be prepared for the following questions to be asked before all is said and done...

Why does it have to be internal?
Do your keyboard and mouse have to be bluetooth?
Why keep your old wifi card if the new card if the new one can replace it?
Why the insistence on not having a dongle?
Is something approximately the size of a single PEZ that objectionable on the back of your computer?
You know a USB dongle that practically invisible is almost certainly going to be cheaper?
And probably... Have you thought about upgrading to an SSD drive?

Personally, I say spend you money however you want.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

I would like it to be internal.
keyboard and mouse have been wired for over a year -time to un leash them! and -1yr old Twins they seem to gravitate to cords
why keep old card in ... I dunno you got me dumb question
I have remote with dongle now .if dongle in back of pc I don't get great signal and with it in front of pc I don't like having flap down to expose usb,card readers etc
and I have ssd thank you

edit: also I thought a pci-e card would have greater signal strength than a dongle

Last edited by vistadelloco; 06-23-2014 at 12:20 AM.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadelloco View Post
I would like it to be internal.
keyboard and mouse have been wired for over a year -time to un leash them! and -1yr old Twins they seem to gravitate to cords
why keep old card in ... I dunno you got me dumb question
I have remote with dongle now .if dongle in back of pc I don't get great signal and with it in front of pc I don't like having flap down to expose usb,card readers etc
and I have ssd thank you

edit: also I thought a pci-e card would have greater signal strength than a dongle
Well, based on the look of that card it looks to be a mini-PCIe laptop card, that's mounted on a standard PCIe card, with a couple of antenna connectors. I doubt you'll find a definitive answer on if it will work without the antennas until you give it a try. There's even a small chance it won't work even with the antenna. I'm not sure about that one, but I know many laptop bluetooth adapters have the antenna integrated on the board itself (usually a pretty obvious squiggly wire trace) which may not work well in a shielded PC case, since it's designed to work in an unshielded spot on a laptop. (and that hadn't occurred to me when I said it should above... I still think it probably would, but I'm a little more iffy)

A couple of other points... I have a logitech wirelses keyboard and trackball that I'm typing with right now. Doesn't use bluetooth, but the dongle is in the back of my PC and it gets great reception. If you haven't purchased a keyboard/mouse combo, it's worth a look. Their unified receivers are pretty good in my opinion.

On my HTPC I had a similar issue to what you're describing (except, again it isn't bluetooth) however, the wireless keyboard/trackball combo I bought (not Logitech) didn't get good reception when plugged into the back of the PC, and it seemed a shame to have my beautiful Moneual Moncaso blemished by having the front perpetually exposed. So I grabbed a 1ft USB extension that I had laying around and plugged the dongle into that, then placed it under my case. It's still invisible from the front, but close enough to get significantly better reception. Depending on your case, its location, you might find a similar solution useful. (and cheaper)

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 99
mini pci-e adapters in full pci-e slots suck when it comes to BT cards. 9/10 times the BT doesn't work correctly and if it does, something's still out of whack.

IF you have a native mini-pci-e slot on your motherboard, by all means, go for it. If not, stick to USB dongles.

Remember, you can use a small USB extension cable to physically place the dongle towards the front of the case, rather than the back. ;-)
post #6 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
BT on an HTPC is a bad idea IMO: Not reliable, memory hog, won't wake, doesn't work in BIOS setup or during OS install, uses more power than RF, BT keyboards/mice are much more expensive than proprietary RF ones.

To improve reception, get an extension cable as others have said.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replies . I think ill look into the usb extention cable.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

ok quick look at amazon this looks to be #1 seller http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTD-400...th+4.0+adapter .someone stated they have 3 devices running simultaneously .

how many devices max can a usb dongle handle?

just wondering I can only think of four devices I might use myself but not all at once

keyboard
mouse
htpc remote
phone
post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadelloco View Post
ok quick look at amazon this looks to be #1 seller http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTD-400...th+4.0+adapter .someone stated they have 3 devices running simultaneously .

how many devices max can a usb dongle handle?

just wondering I can only think of four devices I might use myself but not all at once

keyboard
mouse
htpc remote
phone
Logitech unifying adapter (not BT) can have 6 connected.

Theoretical max for BT is around 7, IIRC, but 3-4 is the practical limit depending on how much data each uses (BT audio will take the most). Those 4 shouldn't be a problem unless you're planning to stream audio from your phone or something like that.

I still wouldn't use bluetooth for keyboard/mouse. Even your HTPC remote won't be able to wake your PC over BT.

$13 seems overpriced to me. I got several BT adapters a while back for around $3 each on ebay.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i have mine on a usb extension, but i only wanted the bluetooth to stream audio. I have the extension sitting at the side of the case. I actually have two extensions, one for wireless keyboard/touchpad and another for bluetooth. I'm like you, i don't want the front panel using these usb's, although... I use the front two USB's for xbox remote controls when gaming.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalpython View Post
... i don't want the front panel using these usb's, although... I use the front two USB's for xbox remote controls when gaming.
You don't have to do that. You can use Xbox controls wirelessly. Works great.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-Ga...dp/B0076HD2W8/
post #12 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Logitech unifying adapter (not BT) can have 6 connected.

Theoretical max for BT is around 7, IIRC, but 3-4 is the practical limit depending on how much data each uses (BT audio will take the most). Those 4 shouldn't be a problem unless you're planning to stream audio from your phone or something like that.

I still wouldn't use bluetooth for keyboard/mouse. Even your HTPC remote won't be able to wake your PC over BT.

$13 seems overpriced to me. I got several BT adapters a while back for around $3 each on ebay.
Not always.

I have an "el cheapo" dongle in my workstation, which is a dual boot OSX/Windows machine and I can wake up the workstation from S3 just fine using the Apple Magic Trackpad or a BT keyboard I have lying around.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GFX0PY/..._26725410_item

Works great.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
Not always.

I have an "el cheapo" dongle in my workstation, which is a dual boot OSX/Windows machine and I can wake up the workstation from S3 just fine using the Apple Magic Trackpad or a BT keyboard I have lying around.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GFX0PY/..._26725410_item

Works great.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page