Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 813
What is everyone using for cloud backup ?

Anyone doing it with media yet ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Crashplan and no media other than music, home movies, and photos. I'm up to 1.2TB of cloud backed up data.
Mfusick and somy like this.

post #3 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
S3 for frequently accessed backups (RAW photos and flac files typically) and Glacier for archives. Same as bryansj with music and home movies/photos.
Mfusick and somy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I use Backblaze on my laptop and my HTPC. But on the HTPC, I only have it backup my photos and music.

But after looking now, I see they removed the file size limit, so I might back up some of my movies as well. When I first signed up, the limit was 4 or 8 GB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by baniels; 06-24-2014 at 01:50 PM.
post #5 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If my Flexraid drive is mapped on my desktop can this be included in crash plans backup like a local drive ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I use google drive and onedrive.

I wouldn't even consider backing up movies to the cloud as it would take over a year to do my current collection and roughly a month to retrieve it all.
Next year I would like to setup snapraid to deal with bit rot and drive failures.

post #7 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I have CrashPlan running on my WHS2011 server. I backup my pictures, home videos, documents and music to the cloud and an external drive. I also use it to backup locally on the server from my live drivepool to the backup drivepool.

post #8 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
If my Flexraid drive is mapped on my desktop can this be included in crash plans backup like a local drive ?
Yes, that is what I do. My server is running SecondCopy 8 and it does a sync to my FlexRAID pool each night from our two laptops' personal folders such as Desktop, Documents, Pictures and so on. Doing this creates a file/folder structured copy of files and Crashplan sees it as a local drive. I don't have to run Crashplan on each PC this way. I then point Crashplan to those copies and other folders such as my RAW pictures, JPGs, music, home movies, and anything else. When a file changes on my laptop only that file is copied over during the nightly backup. Crashplan will see that change and upload just the one file.

I also use the Windows Server full backups, but pointing Crashplan at the Windows Server backups of the other computers would result in large file updates and poor restore ability. This is true with any backup software that creates archive type of files, usually in 4GB chunks.

I use either the SecondCopy files or the Windows Server restore as my primary restore source since they are local. Crashplan will hopefully never be used to restore, but it is there just in case.

post #9 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have crash plan on my desktop and only for pictures and music.

I only pay for 1 PC. Can I change that to be my server ? Or should I just pay the upgrade for 2 machines ?

-

post #10 of 51 Old 06-24-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have crash plan on my desktop and only for pictures and music.

I only pay for 1 PC. Can I change that to be my server ? Or should I just pay the upgrade for 2 machines ?
Put it on your server. Get SecondCopy or something else which will keep your computer pictures and music folders synced to the server. I think there is something called SyncToy from Microsoft that could be forced to do the same thing on a schedule.

My structure is like this:

D:\FlexRAID Pool\Backups\Computer1\Pictures (Music, Documents, etc.)
D:\FlexRAID Pool\Backups\Computer2\Pictures (Music, Documents, etc.)
D:\FlexRAID Pool\Backups\Computer3\Pictures (Music, Documents, etc.)

Now you have another local copy and only need once Crashplan license.

You can't have too many copies of your pictures. If I tell my wife that we lost all or part of our pictures I would be in big trouble. I do have my RAW pictures exported to JPG in a shared folder on the server so we aren't search between computers for something. I have a rather complicated photo workflow in our house which covers all the scenarios we've come up against.

post #11 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I do have my RAW pictures exported to JPG in a shared folder on the server so we aren't search between computers for something. I have a rather complicated photo workflow in our house which covers all the scenarios we've come up against.
I used to take so many photos... I still do when I go out with friends but I don't go out as often. I'll typically come home with between 1,000 and 2,000 RAW images. Then I never feel like going through them all. So I've just dumped hundreds of thousands of RAW images into directory loosely based on category then sub foldered by date..... it's such a cluster f.

post #12 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
I used to take so many photos... I still do when I go out with friends but I don't go out as often. I'll typically come home with between 1,000 and 2,000 RAW images. Then I never feel like going through them all. So I've just dumped hundreds of thousands of RAW images into directory loosely based on category then sub foldered by date..... it's such a cluster f.
My wife takes a lot of bird photos and 95% of those are to simply ID them later or confirm them on site on the camera display. A typical day brings back about 250 photos and only about 50 of those would be kept. I import the RAW images from the card into Lightroom on my computer and they get automatically filed under the year/month-day/ folder structure and similar file naming. One of us goes through them and rejects the bad ones (simple press of the "X" button) and crops and adjusts the rest. I then delete the rejects and export the remaining RAW files to high quality JPG (using saved presets). I then import those JPGs back into my server storage picture share. The card is then formatted on the camera to repeat the process. I won't let another card full of images get into the workflow until the last batch has been processed.

Now the keepers are available to anyone using Windows Explorer or we also use Picasa on my wife's laptop. This process could be simplified a bit if it wasn't for the fact that there are hardly any programs out there that let you work on a shared picture database. Lightroom won't let me dump the pictures onto the server and let another computer running Lightroom also connect because of how its internal database functions. Changes on one computer can corrupt the database info on the other. You have to jump through hoops to make this work and most other programs have similar limitations.

Once on the server the picture share is also included in Plex, WMC, and other programs, but honestly I've never bothered to view them on a TV.

So back to the OP, the RAW images from my computer get backed up locally and to Crashplan and the JPGs also get backed up to Crashplan. The JPGs are also part of the server's backup plan for another local copy.
Mfusick likes this.

Last edited by bryansj; 06-25-2014 at 09:55 AM.
post #13 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Put it on your server. Get SecondCopy or something else which will keep your computer pictures and music folders synced to the server. I think there is something called SyncToy from Microsoft that could be forced to do the same thing on a schedule.

My structure is like this:

D:\FlexRAID Pool\Backups\Computer1\Pictures (Music, Documents, etc.)
D:\FlexRAID Pool\Backups\Computer2\Pictures (Music, Documents, etc.)
D:\FlexRAID Pool\Backups\Computer3\Pictures (Music, Documents, etc.)

Now you have another local copy and only need once Crashplan license.

You can't have too many copies of your pictures. If I tell my wife that we lost all or part of our pictures I would be in big trouble. I do have my RAW pictures exported to JPG in a shared folder on the server so we aren't search between computers for something. I have a rather complicated photo workflow in our house which covers all the scenarios we've come up against.
I might have to look into this option. Currently I have it set up on my desktop and I only protect my documents, pictures and music. This is obviously much smaller than the media I have accumulated over the years. It's not beyond the scope of crashplan in size. I fear my media server is. I'm nearly 50TB and I am not sure a crash plan would work that well for me. But the idea I had was if I slowly added one library at a time and enough time went by I might get there. I could start with the important stuff, then slowly add a folder or more item by item over time until I got the entire server backed up. It might take a few years but if I plan to be a crash plan user for a few years or more then that is ok right ? I am not paying extra for it, it's basically free but I just need to be patient. It's not a good solution, but if I have other solutions or I was otherwise ok without crash plan then adding it won't hurt too.

I just don't know if I can move crashplan from my desktop to my server with my one machine license. It might make sense rather than reseeding everything to get a two machine license. ???? thoughts ?

-

post #14 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
HAHA!

This is me. Wifey takes millions of photos too. It's all a cluster F. I just back up the CLuster F. I am trying to losely organize it slowly but more imporant than being organized I just want to save them. Some of the photos are diamond in the rough, I'd hate to lose them. As time goes by they become more important. All the baby photos I am taking of my twins these days, I will appreciate in 20 years if I still have them. The importance of this is way beyond how much I care if I lose my rip of Jurassic Park I've seen 50 times anyways.

-

post #15 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I might have to look into this option. Currently I have it set up on my desktop and I only protect my documents, pictures and music. This is obviously much smaller than the media I have accumulated over the years. It's not beyond the scope of crashplan in size. I fear my media server is. I'm nearly 50TB and I am not sure a crash plan would work that well for me. But the idea I had was if I slowly added one library at a time and enough time went by I might get there. I could start with the important stuff, then slowly add a folder or more item by item over time until I got the entire server backed up. It might take a few years but if I plan to be a crash plan user for a few years or more then that is ok right ? I am not paying extra for it, it's basically free but I just need to be patient. It's not a good solution, but if I have other solutions or I was otherwise ok without crash plan then adding it won't hurt too.

I just don't know if I can move crashplan from my desktop to my server with my one machine license. It might make sense rather than reseeding everything to get a two machine license. ???? thoughts ?
Crashplan software doesn't use a license like that. You install the program and log in with your Crashplan account. If you are logged in to two instances then I assume one won't work. You uninstall/log out of your desktop, install it on your server and log in. I'm not sure how much reseeding will need to be done. Since CP uses deduplication it may recognize your data is already available and not upload it again. It will do a deep scan.

I put all my Crashplan stuff as separate backups so my documents are one backup, pictures are another, and so on. That way I was able to push my documents first while the others were paused and then push the others in the order I saw fit, such as music last.

In no way would I even consider backing up 50TB to the cloud. For one reason your upload speed has a cap into Crashplan (and other cloud backup services). I wouldn't even bother with any movies. If I lost all my movies I doubt I would even want 25% of them back. Plus I have a 300GB/month Comcast cap to work with

Quote:
HAHA!

This is me. Wifey takes millions of photos too. It's all a cluster F. I just back up the CLuster F. I am trying to losely organize it slowly but more imporant than being organized I just want to save them. Some of the photos are diamond in the rough, I'd hate to lose them. As time goes by they become more important. All the baby photos I am taking of my twins these days, I will appreciate in 20 years if I still have them. The importance of this is way beyond how much I care if I lose my rip of Jurassic Park I've seen 50 times anyways.
Many photo editing packages such as Lightroom and Picasa (free) will organize your library for you. You point it at your Cluster F picture folder and it will move them to a Pictures\2014\06_24\ folder structure based on the pictures' embedded EXIF data. At least it would be a start since if you are looking for birthday party photos you can find them instantly since you know the exact date. For other things you could be within a month or two and find them rather quickly. I've toyed with tagging the photos with metadata such as names and places, but I realized that isn't ever going to get finished.

Last edited by bryansj; 06-25-2014 at 09:55 AM.
post #16 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Walk me thought that organization again ( I have picasa and lightroom ) Would it work on a folder full of random crap ?

-

post #17 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

I've tried for years to get used to the workflow within Lightroom and I just don't get it. It's honestly the most complicated program I've ever used. Clearly there is something I'm missing as there are a ton of people that love it.
Mfusick likes this.

post #18 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Walk me thought that organization again ( I have picasa and lightroom ) Would it work on a folder full of random crap ?
As long as you can right click on the photos and the property details shows the date taken then it should work. Photos that have been butchered with MS Paint or other methods probably have that data removed.

I found this guide that shows how to get started with Lightroom http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2011/...import-basics/ You can ignore the end of step one and the rest of the steps.

You would import from your Cluster F folder (instead of the EOS device in the example) and select the Picture share folder on the server as the destination. I recommend doing a Copy like they show instead of Move since this will leave your Cluster F folder alone in case you don't like the results. Once you are happy with the reorganization then you could delete the Cluster F folder. Once you have the Copy in place then this menu is the key:

Once you do this you can save the import settings as a preset for the next import from a card. I visit this import screen twice in my workflow. My first preset is a Copy to pull the RAW files from the SD card onto my local computer HDD. The second preset is a Move to pull the exported JPG (created from the RAW files) from the local computer to the server share. In between those steps is the Export from RAW to JPG (also a saved preset). I export the JPGs to my local SSD for speed and then they get moved to server in my second preset just described.

post #19 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've tried for years to get used to the workflow within Lightroom and I just don't get it. It's honestly the most complicated program I've ever used. Clearly there is something I'm missing as there are a ton of people that love it.
See above post.

Once you import the RAW files you just scan through them and hit X to mark them as rejected. You can also simply hit 1-5 to rate them for sorting later. I don't really bother with that, but sometimes use 5 for things like family photo shoots where we are looking for a best photo for a card or something. Once you get to the end of your imported photos you select the delete rejected option (Ctrl+Backspace is the shortcut). While going through them you can use the develop tab to make all your exposure, white balance, cropping, and other changes. Obviously that part is a bit harder to explain here, but I watched lynda.com video tutorials which helped me a lot on editing. Virtual copies come in handy too for editing.

You can stop there and just export individual photos to JPG as needed. In my case I export all my RAW files to JPG and then import them to my server to help with the sharing between computers. My wife just wants stuff for facebook and such and JPG is the easiest and works best on the share for other programs and devices. I just stick with the RAWs are the digital negatives and the JPGs are the end result. I can always go back to the RAW as needed.
Mfusick likes this.

post #20 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
+1.

This and also mediamonkey. Too complicated and/or too little patience by me. The third would be sketchup but I am making progress there. I want to be a sketchup pro for my theater designing and remodel project but easier said than done.

-

post #21 of 51 Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As long as you can right click on the photos and the property details shows the date taken then it should work. Photos that have been butchered with MS Paint or other methods probably have that data removed.

I found this guide that shows how to get started with Lightroom http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2011/...import-basics/ You can ignore the end of step one and the rest of the steps.

You would import from your Cluster F folder (instead of the EOS device in the example) and select the Picture share folder on the server as the destination. I recommend doing a Copy like they show instead of Move since this will leave your Cluster F folder alone in case you don't like the results. Once you are happy with the reorganization then you could delete the Cluster F folder. Once you have the Copy in place then this menu is the key:

Once you do this you can save the import settings as a preset for the next import from a card. I visit this import screen twice in my workflow. My first preset is a Copy to pull the RAW files from the SD card onto my local computer HDD. The second preset is a Move to pull the exported JPG (created from the RAW files) from the local computer to the server share. In between those steps is the Export from RAW to JPG (also a saved preset). I export the JPGs to my local SSD for speed and then they get moved to server in my second preset just described.

Thumbs up. I will give this a shot. Thanks!

-

post #22 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
I think the discussion is very interesting.
I backup all my important data (photos, home videos, documents) to my NAS today so for every file I have two copies. I use the MS SyncToy to keep the backup file in sync with original files. There are two issues:
1) The backup is still in the house, some one can steal the devices and all data is gone
2) There is no versioning control, so if I accidently delete a file, the backup file will also be deleted
I'd very much like a cloud backup, and I don't need big capacity, 500G is more than enough for me now. I need to find a solution/provider with the following requirements:
1) Data can be encrypted locally before uploading
2) Incremental backup with versioning support
3) Easy to schedule a job in Windows to run the backup. Once a week frequency is good enough
4) Only in disaster recovery (which should happen very rarely) I need to retrieve the backup
5) The cost should be as low as possible

Any suggestion for the client software and cloud provider?
Thank you!
post #23 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Lightroom is great, and I don't mind it being organised into dates. It's a little like camera raw but I feel it's much better. You could theoretically rename the folders in Lightroom, but generally speaking... I tend to just use Lightroom for mapping GPS with the motion gps iPhone app, and editing. Once I have my JPEGs I very very rarely go back and want the raw files, but my inner me keeps them. Most of the time I never even need to venture into CC because Lightroom does so much of the work. It's the JPEGs I want to keep organised most of all.

As for online cloud storage, I have a Flickr subscription for my photos, which instantly get uploaded once I have my JPEGs, and I use onedrive for office type stuff, and google drive for music. I can't see me ever uploading movies until fibre is available in the area. With a Flickr subscription you get unlimited storage if I remember right, and full sized JPEGs. It's not as organised as it is in my home, but it's basically my last line of defence.
post #24 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Using Google+ photo auto-backup on my wife's and my phone

Using Google Drive for Titanium Backup for my phone

I have passwords from my laptop going to icloud keychain, though it's utterly useless until Apple begins making decent phones (lots to catch up on) -- if the iphone 6 is no better than the differences between 4/4s/5/5s then I'll look at modifying all the icloud keychain requests to use lastpass or something similar (and android compatible) instead

I have all of my music stored on Google's servers and use Google Music pretty frequently on my wife and my phone

I still just use Plex for movies and tv shows

I saw today that Google Drive for business would offer unlimited storage for $10 / month. I don't know if I'd want to pay $120 a year, and I'm not sure I want to upload 18TB of video either
post #25 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalpython View Post
Lightroom is great, and I don't mind it being organised into dates. It's a little like camera raw but I feel it's much better. You could theoretically rename the folders in Lightroom, but generally speaking... I tend to just use Lightroom for mapping GPS with the motion gps iPhone app, and editing. Once I have my JPEGs I very very rarely go back and want the raw files, but my inner me keeps them. Most of the time I never even need to venture into CC because Lightroom does so much of the work. It's the JPEGs I want to keep organised most of all.

As for online cloud storage, I have a Flickr subscription for my photos, which instantly get uploaded once I have my JPEGs, and I use onedrive for office type stuff, and google drive for music. I can't see me ever uploading movies until fibre is available in the area. With a Flickr subscription you get unlimited storage if I remember right, and full sized JPEGs. It's not as organised as it is in my home, but it's basically my last line of defence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Using Google+ photo auto-backup on my wife's and my phone

Using Google Drive for Titanium Backup for my phone

I have passwords from my laptop going to icloud keychain, though it's utterly useless until Apple begins making decent phones (lots to catch up on) -- if the iphone 6 is no better than the differences between 4/4s/5/5s then I'll look at modifying all the icloud keychain requests to use lastpass or something similar (and android compatible) instead

I have all of my music stored on Google's servers and use Google Music pretty frequently on my wife and my phone

I still just use Plex for movies and tv shows

I saw today that Google Drive for business would offer unlimited storage for $10 / month. I don't know if I'd want to pay $120 a year, and I'm not sure I want to upload 18TB of video either
Seriously, upload unencypted personal data to Cloud?
post #26 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 AM

Depends how paranoid you are and what personal data you are sharing? Flickr allows you to hide photo's, which suits me. Documents are nothing glamorous and music is all google gets from me...

have you seen facebook and gmail? There's far worse.... lol
post #27 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Backblaze is $5/month per computer for unlimited storage. The limitation is that there is no Linux support and no network drive support. This means you must have your data on local drives of a Windows (non server OS) or Mac computer. This works fine for my current config, but likely falls short for others.

It will backup external drives as long as they are connected to the host machine every 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

post #28 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Depends how paranoid you are and what personal data you are sharing? Flickr allows you to hide photo's, which suits me. Documents are nothing glamorous and music is all google gets from me...

have you seen facebook and gmail? There's far worse.... lol
OK, I just don't feel comfortable to upload photos and home videos online, and I don't trust their protection either. I'd like to encrypt things myself and upload them. It is probably just me......
post #29 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 AM

I know what you mean.. The only way i could be intruded on is if flickr gets hacked. I am going to guess there's probably more interesting things to do on the web, than to hack flickr and see my photo's

I could completely bin flickr and use my onedrive account and encrypt it all myself, but i do get two advantages from using flickr - my mum is not tech savvy, and you can allow family members to view the family photo's. It's much easier for me to share my photo's privately amongst family members this way, away from public. I do however throw up the occasional proud daddy photo (on flickr), and even if the photo is stolen, the largest photo anyone can keep is 1024 pixels (or at least it used to be). I use facebook, but only for the odd proud daddy photo like i say...

AVG has software that helps reduce your privacy intrusion - AVG privacy fix, and this helps turn off facebook, google and linkedin intrusion. You just add it as an extension to your browser. The pictures i do make public on flickr however; will always carry the burden.
post #30 of 51 Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean.. The only way i could be intruded on is if flickr gets hacked. I am going to guess there's probably more interesting things to do on the web, than to hack flickr and see my photo's

I could completely bin flickr and use my onedrive account and encrypt it all myself, but i do get two advantages from using flickr - my mum is not tech savvy, and you can allow family members to view the family photo's. It's much easier for me to share my photo's privately amongst family members this way, away from public. I do however throw up the occasional proud daddy photo (on flickr), and even if the photo is stolen, the largest photo anyone can keep is 1024 pixels (or at least it used to be). I use facebook, but only for the odd proud daddy photo like i say...

AVG has software that helps reduce your privacy intrusion - AVG privacy fix, and this helps turn off facebook, google and linkedin intrusion. You just add it as an extension to your browser. The pictures i do make public on flickr however; will always carry the burden.
It makes sense if you'd also like to share the photos with family
Do you upload original photos there?
Does it generate low resolution photos fore web browsing? I tried it once in Lightroom, but it doesn't support my folder structure good enough and therefore I had to give up.

Last edited by somy; 06-26-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page