Aurora Blu-ray Copy not completing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Aurora Blu-ray Copy not completing

I just completed building an HTPC which I plan on ripping all my Blu-rays and DVDs to then watch them by mounting the ISO and playing them in PowerDVD

To do this, I am using Aurora Blu-ray Copy to rip the Blu-rays and DVDs to ISO

I have both the PC and Mac versions, the Mac version on a MacBook Pro (OS X Mavericks) and the PC version on my HTPC (Windows 8.1)

The Mac version works fine, but the PC version stops at around 5~12% and says the rip is complete

Anybody use Aurora Blu-ray Copy that may know what the issue is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-25-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

So has anybody here used Aurora Blu-ray Copy?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't have the answer you are looking for. But have you considered ripping to MKV? Or do you really want the whole disc, menus, extras, etc?
post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
I don't have the answer you are looking for. But have you considered ripping to MKV? Or do you really want the whole disc, menus, extras, etc?
I want to keep the menus, extras, etc. Also, for what I plan to do, ripping to MKV won't work
post #5 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Have you considered different software? I can't find much info on Aurora...
post #6 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Have you considered different software? I can't find much info on Aurora...
I'm open to to trying different software, but it must make a complete 1:1 ISO copy of the media, and must be free to very low cost (Aurora Blu-ray Copy is free)

Exactly what kind of information are you looking for? If you are trying to google search the answer, I'll save you the trouble, I already have to no avail, hence the reason I'm here

If you are looking for links to the program itself

PC Version
http://www.bluray-player-software.com/windows-bluray-copy.htm

http://download.cnet.com/Aurora-Blu-ray-Copy/3000-7970_4-75964406.html

Mac Version
http://www.bluray-player-software.com/mac-bluray-dvd-copy.htm
post #7 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 384
MakeMKV is probably the most common free program for extracting Blu-rays to ISO files, and many people here are familiar with it.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
MakeMKV is probably the most common free program for extracting Blu-rays to ISO files, and many people here are familiar with it.
Can you explain how to make an ISO from a Blu-ray/DVD using MakeMKV? Their website doesn't say anything of the sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMKV.com
MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.

Additionally MakeMKV can instantly stream decrypted video without intermediate conversion to wide range of players, so you may watch Blu-ray and DVD discs with your favorite player on your favorite OS or on your favorite device.

-Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs

-Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+

-Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio

-Preserves chapters information

-Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)

-Fast conversion - converts as fast as your drive can read data.

-No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.

-Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

-Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.

-All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.
According to what they say on their site, this won't work for me

1. According to them, it rips directly to MKV, MKV AFAIK is a video format, not an image, and therefore will lack menus and special features, so the only way to get an ISO is to convert the MKV to M2TS Blu-ray files, put them in a folder labelled BDMV, then make an ISO image with that BDMV folder in it, once the ISO is mounted and opened in the player, this will play the movie directly, no menus, no special features, nothing, just the movie... That is NOT a 1:1 copy

2. Their website makes no mention to Blu-ray 3D, that tells me if it rips at all, it will rip in 2D, or it will rip in top/bottom or side by side, while PowerDVD does a fantastic job converting T/B or SBS video files to frame packed 3D output, that's not the way I would like to view my ripped 3D movies

3. The kind of experience I am looking for is the same experience as sticking in the disc and having it play natively, minus the fact of actually taking the disc out of it's case, opening the drive tray placing the disc in the tray and closing it, and the risk of dropping it along the way, mixing up or losing cases, or other possibilities for damage or confusion, this does not seem possible with MakeMKV

On the other hand, Aurora does exactly what I want, I would just much rather have the rip be done from my HTPC instead of my MacBook, I don't care what ripping software I use as long as the results are the same as Aurora, but I do wonder why Aurora says it's complete when it's only at 5~12%
post #9 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

So are there any other options for Blu-ray/DVD ripping programs?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedamirault View Post
Their website makes no mention to Blu-ray 3D, that tells me if it rips at all, it will rip in 2D, or it will rip in top/bottom or side by side

On the other hand, Aurora does exactly what I want, I would just much rather have the rip be done from my HTPC instead of my MacBook, I don't care what ripping software I use as long as the results are the same as Aurora, but I do wonder why Aurora says it's complete when it's only at 5~12%
MakeMKV rips any BD/DVD as is, no encoding involved. If you rip a BR 3D disk, you will get a MKV with MVC codec. You can play it with PowerDVD or Stereoscopic Player for 3D output. To convert MVC to SBS or TAB, re-encoding is always necessary, that DVDFab is doing.

A bug of a particular software piece should be directed to the developer. If you want ISO, you can use AnyDVD HD, but it's not free.

Last edited by renethx; 06-28-2014 at 11:04 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
MakeMKV rips any BD/DVD as is, no encoding involved. If you rip a BR 3D disk, you will get a MKV with MVC codec. You can play it with PowerDVD or Stereoscopic Player for 3D output. To convert MVC to SBS or TAB, re-encoding is always necessary, that DVDFab is doing.
So you mean to say, if I were to rip a 3D Blu-ray video (M2TS + SSIF) to MKV, it would be a frame packed 3D MKV file?

Quote:
A bug of a particular software piece should be directed to the developer. If you want ISO, you can use AnyDVD HD, but it's not free.
But whose to say its a bug? It is possible that I have something set up wrong or have a compatibility issue, I'm just not sure

I can (and have) rip the Blu-rays/DVDs using my MacBook to an external hard drive (internal SSD is too small), then transfer from the MacBook to the HTPC using Samba, that is proven working, but that means I have to take the discs to a different room (the room my MacBook and USB 3.0 Blu-ray drive is in), rip them, transfer them (takes forever), then put the discs back (same room as HTPC), a complete PITA, but is free, and does work, I should be able to have the same experience on the HTPC, the fact I am using Windows 8.1 (PC vs a Mac) shouldn't be holding me back, but it is
post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedamirault View Post
So you mean to say, if I were to rip a 3D Blu-ray video (M2TS + SSIF) to MKV, it would be a frame packed 3D MKV file?

But whose to say its a bug? It is possible that I have something set up wrong or have a compatibility issue, I'm just not sure
MVC (Multi-view Video Codec) is a video codec used in BR 3D. MakeMKV retains it. Frame packing is a format of HDMI signals (decoded, uncompressed). If your 3D display supports Frame Packing, then PowerDVD decodes MVC and outputs Frame packing 3D. (PowerDVD does not support HD audio tracks in MKV, however.)

I tried Aurora Blu-ray Copy. It stopped at 2%, saying "Completed". I usually consider a problem as a bug if it occurs in multiple users' environment.

Last edited by renethx; 06-28-2014 at 11:57 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-29-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I tried Aurora Blu-ray Copy. It stopped at 2%, saying "Completed". I usually consider a problem as a bug if it occurs in multiple users' environment.
NOW we are getting somewhere, you never said that you tried it, and being that the issue happened to you too, then yes, I guess it is a bug

That said, it looks like I need to look for another program to do the rips, or maybe emulate OS X in Windows 8.1 to run the Mac version
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page