• 1 Post By Dark_Slayer

post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question

Which motherboards have the best onboard audio chip and which CPU is the best for video transcoding?? Time to putter with another build....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 272
If you want to use x264 to make high quality rips, the number of cores you have is important, so either a 6-core i7 or a Xeon-series server CPU with 8+ cores will give you the best performance. If you only want to transcode on-the-fly for viewing videos on a tablet or other device, any Intel Core CPU with a QuickSync hardware encoder will let you do that without using any CPU resources.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Actually, you brought up a point I've been meaning to ask about on here...

If you're maintaining a digital signal path (bitstreaming, sending PCM or even AC-3) does the audio chip even matter? I guess you'd need a chip capable of bitstreaming whatever it is your files are encoded in (DTS-MA or whatever) but beyond that, does it matter? Also, if you're using a graphics card (instead of integrated video) and your sound is output via HDMI is the anything on the motherboard even being utilized for sound? It's all on the graphics card, isn't it?

(Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I think the answers to my questions are also relevant to yours)

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Ivy Bridge-EP (such as Xeon E5-2697 v2, 12C/24T 2.7--3.5GHz 130W LGA 2011, $2,614) is the best right now. Haswell-E/EP will be available later this year. If you want a normal, desktop-like processor, Core i7-4790K (4C/8T, 4.0GHz-4.4GHz LGA 1150, $339) is a good choice.

Realtek ALC1150 is the current best onboard audio chip. I assume you want good 'analog' output. Then you'd better add a discrete sound card.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Actually, you brought up a point I've been meaning to ask about on here...

If you're maintaining a digital signal path (bitstreaming, sending PCM or even AC-3) does the audio chip even matter? I guess you'd need a chip capable of bitstreaming whatever it is your files are encoded in (DTS-MA or whatever) but beyond that, does it matter? Also, if you're using a graphics card (instead of integrated video) and your sound is output via HDMI is the anything on the motherboard even being utilized for sound? It's all on the graphics card, isn't it?

(Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I think the answers to my questions are also relevant to yours)
Audio decoding is done in the PCH for HDMI audio, and no the on-board audio chip (usually realtek) does not matter in that case

Onboard is applicable when you change your default sound device in windows to something other than intel hd audio
ajhieb likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Audio decoding is done in the PCH for HDMI audio, and no the on-board audio chip (usually realtek) does not matter in that case

Onboard is applicable when you change your default sound device in windows to something other than intel hd audio
Thanks for the info!

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In my case, i am wanting to make a box that will be a kinda/sorta substitute for an AV receiver I am planning on sending analog audio directly to a Marantz 5ch power amp.This brings up another question as that i can control output levels with a media center remote and programs that support it, but would also like to have a manual volume control on the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page