Why doe’s this HDD enclosure never turn off? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why doe’s this HDD enclosure never turn off?

Why doe’s this HDD enclosure never turn off is it designed this way?

I was planning on using this enclosure to house my primaryrecorded TV storage drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

I was expecting this enclosure to sleep when PC enters sleepit stays on including the fan.

I was expecting this enclosure to turn off when PC ispowered off it stays on including the fan.

Doe’s Roswill expect me to get out of my Lazyboy walk to thePC and flip a on/off switch and just leave it on in the middle of the night fanis to loud to be on at night?

Edit: if this enclosure never turns off or sleeps doe’s theHDD inside continue to spin?

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Are you using the USB or eSATA interface? Does the behavior change depending on the interface?
post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 AM

Liked: 24
Isn't there an option in the power management in the control panel to turn off the drives, monitor, etc at specific times? You may try looking there.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
Isn't there an option in the power management in the control panel to turn off the drives, monitor, etc at specific times? You may try looking there.
I think that's going to be a bit irrelevant when his computer is either sleep or off.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I have a different hard drive enclosure, but the hard drive itself does go to sleep. The enclosure is always on. The enclosure has a separate fan switch and power switch.

I power down the various enclosures (switch OFF) as well as unplug the USB connector when not in use.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've only seen a handful of drive enclosures, but isn't it a general rule of thumb that if it has an on/off switch that it's not likely to turn off automatically?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
Are you using the USB or eSATA interface? Does the behavior change depending on the interface?
currently connected w/ USB2 was actualley intended on eSATA for more speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
I'll check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
I have a different hard drive enclosure, but the hard drive itself does go to sleep. The enclosure is always on. The enclosure has a separate fan switch and power switch.

I power down the various enclosures (switch OFF) as well as unplug the USB connector when not in use.
I actualley planning on using my WD my book for ripped DVD and plug it in and a three year rotation.
However this was to be my primary record TV storage drive so unplugging is'nt a option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post
I've only seen a handful of drive enclosures, but isn't it a general rule of thumb that if it has an on/off switch that it's not likely to turn off automatically?
my WD my book elite has a on off switch however it's smart it will sleep after ten minutes of idel it will sleep when PC sleeps and also turn off when PC is off.

The Roswell looks sturdy well built even though the screw holes barely lined up just not good enough.

Thanks Guys for feedback STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
I actualley planning on using my WD my book for ripped DVD and plug it in and a three year rotation.
However this was to be my primary record TV storage drive so unplugging is'nt a option.
I don't think out of my three WD MyBook external hard drives that any of them have lasted three years. The MyBook enclosure is a death trap for HDDs.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That should work. I only use my externals to store and backup my video files and DVD encodes.

A few years ago I bought a WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 external drive. It still worked great, but it was a USB 2.0 case.

Earlier this year I bought a WD My Book 3 TB USB 3.0 external drive. After I bought that drive I find out that with that drive will not play DVD material with Windows XP. Then I also found out that the My Book is a hardware encrypted drive. If the case goes bad, then all your storage is not recoverable without a huge hassle and expensive rebuild that works if you are lucky.

So, I bought 2 new external USB 3.0 enclosures, and a new 2 TB WD Green hard drive. Took the old USB 2.0 hard drive out of the WD Essentials case, and installed it in the new USB 3.0 case. Works great on Windows XP and Windows 8.1. Made a second unit with the new WD green 2 TB hard drive.

So, the new 3 TB WD hardware encrypted My Book is going to be my backup for my other two external hard drives.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I don't think out of my three WD MyBook external hard drives that any of them have lasted three years. The MyBook enclosure is a death trap for HDDs.

Were all of those WD MyBooks the hardware encrypted versions?
post #11 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
Were all of those WD MyBooks the hardware encrypted versions?
No, they were normal drives inside the enclosure. I disassembled my last remaining one and used it as an internal drive.

A couple dead ones went back to Costco so I didn't really lose money.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-27-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have that exact HDD enclosure with a 2TB drive, using eSATA to a Netgear NeoTV 550 STB. Usually when I transfer (FLAC) files to that drive I do it over the network, although for large files (blu-ray rips) I'll plug it into my desktop's front panel eSATA port. I use a smart powerstrip to turn it on and off with my receiver (which I already had for my sub woofer amp). Initially I thought the fan noise would bother me but from the couch it's not loud enough to annoy me with TV/Movies/Music playing, even at low volume. I kind of wish it had SATA III, though SATA II isn't too bad.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-28-2014, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
I have that exact HDD enclosure with a 2TB drive, using eSATA to a Netgear NeoTV 550 STB. Usually when I transfer (FLAC) files to that drive I do it over the network, although for large files (blu-ray rips) I'll plug it into my desktop's front panel eSATA port. I use a smart powerstrip to turn it on and off with my receiver (which I already had for my sub woofer amp). Initially I thought the fan noise would bother me but from the couch it's not loud enough to annoy me with TV/Movies/Music playing, even at low volume. I kind of wish it had SATA III, though SATA II isn't too bad.
so doe's you'r enclosure connected w/eSATA actualley sleep and turn off when PC sleeps and turns off ?
thanks STB

post #14 of 14 Old 06-28-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
so doe's you'r enclosure connected w/eSATA actualley sleep and turn off when PC sleeps and turns off ?
thanks STB
No, that's why I have it plugged into a smart powerstrip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page