1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdavej

post #1 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Multiple HD to TV's from a media server

I have a whole house audio system, based off of an old desktop, a new Meridian DAC, and 6 TB of stored music, but want to go a step beyond that, and be able to distribute HD 1080i or better, to each TV in the house. We have more than 1500 movies on DVD/BluRay, and it would be nice to simply rip them, and have access from any TV

I realize this will take a new HTPC, and butt loads of storage, and I am OK with building some other kind of mega rig, but cannot seem to find anything other than streaming to my laptops.

WiFi would be nice if someone has a grand idea. Not all of our TV's have WiFi, but do have HDMI.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help

You only get what you ask for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Do you plan on having a client device at each TV?
PLEX would seem like a good solution if you can get the client apps on Roku's/Streaming boxes, SmartTV's, BluRay players, game consoles, etc.

If you were planning on running a bunch of HDMI cables from a single source - IMO, that wouldn't be the best solution.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post
Do you plan on having a client device at each TV?
PLEX would seem like a good solution if you can get the client apps on Roku's/Streaming boxes, SmartTV's, BluRay players, game consoles, etc.

If you were planning on running a bunch of HDMI cables from a single source - IMO, that wouldn't be the best solution.
The HDMI is already in place, as the DirecTV receivers are all in the basement, racked with the Wholehouse Audio. So that part is covered.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM

OK, but what will be the 'Interface' (Client) that will allow the viewer to access the movies?

post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post
OK, but what will be the 'Interface' (Client) that will allow the viewer to access the movies?
I guess that is what I am trying to figure out. AV I rock, PC I suck.

So if the HDMI is already run, is it safe to say I then need a "PC" so to speak, in each room to pull from a "Server" and then send to the TV's?

Please forgive my ignorance, and potentially stupid questions.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 AM

No, not stupid. Just need to clarify...

Do you have localized SmartTV's, BD Players, Game consoles (xbox/ps3) at all/some of the locations?
If so, you could utilize PLEX to access your content on your server by installing PLEXserver at the source of the files, and the client apps on each device.

For any TV that does not, you could get a ROKU or other streaming device to use as a client and install the PLEX client. Each client is in the range of $50-$100 depending on what you might prefer.

See this forum for more details: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...ent-streaming/

If you've already run HDMI, perhaps you can use the same chase for Cat5/6 to avoid wireless. Wireless can be used, YMMV depending on the strength of signal.

As far as a computer for housing all the movies, take a peek at Assassin's HTPC Blog: Hardware Guide for some ideas. A modestly build computer can be put together to stream all the content, most of your money will be spent on storage/HDD's.

Once you figure out what direction you want to go, report back, and we can help you along.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 436
DirecTV receivers also have basic DLNA capability and can stream a few types of video files. You could try a few rips today and see how it goes. The interface is nowhere near as nice as Plex though.
wiley165 likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page