Intel HD4600 screen tear? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Intel HD4600 screen tear?

I just built a new general purpose desktop PC for my bedroom. While it's not an HTPC per se, that is one of its functions. It's connected via HDMI to a Yamaha AVR and a Sony HDTV. The monitor is connected with DVI and I'm running clone mode (1920 x 1080). I'm getting screen tear on the second display. I have the latest Intel drivers, Windows 8.1 64-bit is up to date, as is my motherboard's bios. This only happens in clone mode and only on the second display, regardless of whether the monitor or HDTV is the second display.

The simple solution was to make my HDTV the primary display. When the TV is turned off of course my monitor becomes the primary display, and there is no screen tear.

So this isn't really a big problem in terms of real world use, but I am curious if anyone has come up with a solution (short of a new GPU)?

Here is the build:

Gigabyte GA-Z87 DS3H motherboard
Intel i5-4440 CPU
2 x 4GB DDR3 1866 RAM
120GB SSD
2 x 2TB HDD (for now)
Pioneer BD ROM drive

I use XBMC 13 for movies (uncompressed blu-ray rips) and MediaMonkey 4 for music (FLAC, including hi-res and multi-channel DVD-Audio rips).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-07-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At this risk of looking like I'm talking to myself (which I suppose I am) I found a better solution was to use extended desktop mode. There is no screen tear in extended mode so I set up XBMC to only display on my HDTV since I'll never watch a movie on a 23" monitor anyway. An additional benefit is I was able to use XBMC's overscan correction so now I can finally see the entire picture on my old XBR direct-view CRT HDTV, and I no longer have the urge to replace it with a new flat panel TV with 1:1 pixel mapping.
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread - HD4600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page